Stimulation= Hair Growth.........

Hair2Dye4

Some of you may remember a few months back when I was contemplating going to beauty school and wondered if I was too old. Well, I took everyone's advise and started June 23rd. Thanks for the encouragemant...........I LOVE IT!!

Anyway, in class recently we were discussing the make up of hair, proper upkeep and growth. My teacher STRESSED that a major factor in hair growth is scalp stimulation increasing blood flow (brushing, massaging, etc.) and frequent washing "a clean scalp promotes hair growth". I know many women here avoid brushing like the plague, but from what she says it is very beneficial.

BTW all 4 of the teacher at the school are black with healthy hair.

Just thought I'd share that. If I learn anything that I think you ladies would be interested in I'll be sure to share.

Last edited:
i thought about that this morning and my granny use to brush my hair a lot growing up and it was BSL back then

my hair defies all the rules and grows more when I do nothing....go figure

I think your rule works for most of us. I try to just stay of out my hair and keep everyone else out of it. That constant brushing stuff is for the 1a types. I can see massaging the scalp though, whether it works or not, it just feels good. :grin:

I just PM'd another member yesterday about mixing Argan oil with my emu oil and applying to the scalp. Argan oil helps stimulate scalp and is good for massaging sore muscles. No brush required.

That totally makes sense - you just have to 'adjust' the scalp stimulation to work best with your own hair type, whether it's using something (like the cayenne experiment) which stimulates your scalp without you touching it, or whether it's something as basic as getting a scalp massager and using it nightly. :yep:

Improved blood flow usually doesn't hurt anything, ya know?

I think your rule works for most of us. I try to just stay of out my hair and keep everyone else out of it. That constant brushing stuff is for the 1a types. I can see massaging the scalp though, whether it works or not, it just feels good. :grin:

ITA with this entire post. I was just about to say the same thing. All I need to stimulate my scalp are my fingertips and a good natural oil.

Congratulations on your enrollment into beauty school. I used to brush my hair years ago and it seemed to grow a lot faster. Hmmm, maybe I need to buy another brush today.

I guess I do some level of scalp messaging when I'm working a conditioner through and working a oil into it

my hair defies all the rules and grows more when I do nothing....go figure

ITA! Once a week -- massage, wash, comb, NEVER, EVER brush, style, whatever I'm gonna do to my hair -- its once a week and I'm so lazy, I would go longer if I could but I punk out after 7 days . . .

I am in awe of ladies who do the daily co-washes/rinses/etc. every day . . .

:lachen: When I was younger I used to lay on my back on my bed with my head hanging off the edge and massage my scalp. I thought the extra blood flow would help. :look: I was relaxed at the time so I would do the brushing thing too, but I used a baby brush. :yep:

ITA! Once a week -- massage, wash, comb, NEVER, EVER brush, style, whatever I'm gonna do to my hair -- its once a week and I'm so lazy, I would go longer if I could but I punk out after 7 days . . .

I am in awe of ladies who do the daily co-washes/rinses/etc. every day . . .

I'm at once a week too! whew it dont get any better than this! :grin:

just touch it up and go!

:lachen: When I was younger I used to lay on my back on my bed with my head hanging off the edge and massage my scalp. I thought the extra blood flow would help. :look: I was relaxed at the time so I would do the brushing thing too, but I used a baby brush. :yep:

did that work?

ugh! I've been singing this all over the boards for the past while! I don't know about an actual brush, but stimulation is the key to growth. Even if you are using something topical and are getting good growth, stimulation will really push it over the top. Get those fingers working!

did that work?

I do remember that my hair was very shiny and healthy and I hardly used any products. I was relaxed bone straight...I think with Lye but I'm not sure. I was about 15 at the time and it was my first time being relaxed.

The best stylists I ever had were the students are Earl's Beauty Academy. They were cheap - never had any attitude - were always gentle. There was an older woman there that relaxed me, and always took great care of my hair and before that I was natural there was a man that shampooed me and he'd say " Girl, you got hair for days!" :lachen:

I do remember that my hair was very shiny and healthy and I hardly used any products. I was relaxed bone straight...I think with Lye but I'm not sure. I was about 15 at the time and it was my first time being relaxed.

The best stylists I ever had were the students are Earl's Beauty Academy. They were cheap - never had any attitude - were always gentle. There was an older woman there that relaxed me, and always took great care of my hair and before that I was natural there was a man that shampooed me and he'd say " Girl, you got hair for days!" :lachen:

well aint nothin wrong with hangin your head off the bed and tryin, I'll do it! lol

:congrats: NJ!!!!

I'm so glad you decided to follow your dreams :grin:

Anyhoo, all of the books I've read on hair (save for CH's book) support what your teachers have told you. I think brushing can be bad 4 the hair if the wrong brush and technique are used, otherwise, it can be very beneficial to both our hair and scalp. Especially for us Natchal heads, it helps us spread our natural oils (which has a hard time traveling down curly hair shafts) evenly down the hair follicle.

I do admit, I don't brush my entire head, I only use a soft brush to smooth my edges from time to time, and my Denman to detangle once a week, and I massage my scalp after every cowash, but I'm not afraid of using brushes

Last edited:
Wow :yep: Further verification of clean scalp and stimulation :yep:

I've been thinking about brushing lately...If i use any type of brush on my hair, it would be a soft boar, and i dont think that would do anything for my scalp...

But i would use a brush like object...Something like one of those round massagers on my scalp...because the bristle things are so long that they wont bother any part of your hair...Like fingers.

I want to go to beauty school aslo, when you get into the methods they use to get perfect flatirons and the marcel iron thing i would love to know more about that.

Thanks for sharing!

And yes, please continue to share your tips from beauty school...wish you the best!

Some of you may remember a few months back when I was contemplating going to beauty school and wondered if I was too old. Well, I took everyone's advise and started June 23rd. Thanks for the encouragemant...........I LOVE IT!!

Anyway, in class recently we were discussing the make up of hair, proper upkeep and growth. My teacher STRESSED that a major factor in hair growth is scalp stimulation increasing blood flow (brushing, massaging, etc.) and frequent washing "a clean scalp promotes hair growth". I know many women here avoid brushing like the plague, but from what she says it is very beneficial.

BTW all 4 of the teacher at the school are black with healthy hair.

Just thought I'd share that. If I learn anything that I think you ladies would be interested in I'll be sure to share.

That's so sweet :). Congratulations on starting beauty school!!

I wonder if with the brushing, it's the pulling stimulation as opposed to the actual brushing of the hair that helps with growth. If that's the case, brushing hair might not be needed per se, but some kind of pulling sensation.

It reminds me of reading on the Crown and Glory site about how braiding (as long as its not too tight) has been shown to improve growth because of the stimulation it provides to the scalp. I'm also remebering reading in a thread about huile masketi (sp?) and Haitian women's hair practices about oiling and braiding the hair before bed and how it helped with growth.

So perhaps braiding is an alternative to get the effect of brushing?

I wonder if with the brushing, it's the pulling stimulation as opposed to the actual brushing of the hair that helps with growth. If that's the case, brushing hair might not be needed per se, but some kind of pulling sensation.

It reminds me of reading on the Crown and Glory site about how braiding (as long as its not too tight) has been shown to improve growth because of the stimulation it provides to the scalp. I'm also remebering reading in a thread about huile masketi (sp?) and Haitian women's hair practices about oiling and braiding the hair before bed and how it helped with growth.

Sometimes if my scalp is sore I pull my hair and kind of wiggle it in locks. It loosens up my scalp and soothes it. :look:

Sometimes if my scalp is sore I pull my hair and kind of wiggle it in locks. It loosens up my scalp and soothes it. :look:

Oooh, that's a GOOD point!!! When my hair was in dreads, I would grab a clump and GENTLY pull on them all the time - it made my scalp all tingly and happy feeling. :lol: And after I comb my hair, my scalp - well, it's usually not QUITE as 'happy' feeling, but it's definitely stimulated!

And Congrats on going to Beauty School - I remember that thread, and I'm so thrilled that you are excited and doing well - and that it sounds like your teachers know a lil sumthin sumthin! :grin:

Back