Starting Over :-(

pacqui

I had arm pit length hair cut to shoulder length. It is falling out and looking stragley. I started using Aveda Damage Remedy shampoo and conditioner and Chi Silk Infusion leave in. Hair is still falling out/shedding at an alarming rate and it has no body and doesn't hold a curl. What do y'all suggest? Should I cut to chin length or more? Help!?!

Can you recommend a leave in that works well for roller setting? blow drying/wrapping? Help

try to stay away from heat as long as possible. a trim might make things a little better. low manipulation styles would be best for now.....
are you natural or relaxed?

have you tried using products without protein for a while or an at home steam treatment. i would try everything before i cut and even then i would trim gradually. i agree with going low mani/low heat for a while.

my hair is relaxed - to save money, I self-relaxed the last two times. The first time I used Gentle Treatment (normally what I bring to the salon or Elasta QP) everything came out really nice. The second time, I tried ORS Olive Oil and it didn't take. I'm not doing that again. People on the board seem to love Phyto so I ordered one and will bring it to the salon at the end of the month.
Before Aveda, I used AO Camomile Shampoo with SAA and Honeyquat added to it and AO glycoprotein conditioner, also with SAA and HQ added. For a leave in, I used Aphogee's provitamin leave in that I added SAA and HQ. I don't know what to do. I really loved my hair but it's thinning out so badly all over the hairdresser cutting my hair last weekend recommended Una or T3 for my whole head. Any suggestions?

Products with garlic in it should help with the shedding. I was shedding heavily for a month or so, but I started to take garlic pills and my shedding has decreased.

I wash once a week, maybe twice when hot, always roller set. Blow dry rarely - maybe quaterly - i'll try going without protein - any suggestions?
my hair isn't stiff though and the silk infusions give it great shine. I wanted to try the broccoli seed oil but fnwl is out of stock.

Uhm, if you use no lye relaxers, you may not need to much protein. Try using a moisturizing conditioner with ceramides or wheat germ oil. There is a thread on natural oils with ceramides. Only use protein as needed. Also, have you tried chelating? the ao honeysuckle rose is protein free and has wheat germ oil, nexxus humectress is nice. hth

althought silk infusions give it great shine you should try to alternate between leave in's great shine does not equate healthy hair, healthy hair will shine on its own. you need a vitamin based leave in i love giovanni direct it has alot of yummy oils and vitamins in it. my hair loves it i will not buy chi or any of the infusions my leave ins have to be pro vitamin based, infusium is great as well ant watch out for cones they block out moisture from you hair as well

Uhm, if you use no lye relaxers, you may not need to much protein. Try using a moisturizing conditioner with ceramides or wheat germ oil. There is a thread on natural oils with ceramides. Only use protein as needed. Also, have you tried chelating? the ao honeysuckle rose is protein free and has wheat germ oil, nexxus humectress is nice. hth

What is chelating?

Its like clarifying, but deeper. I removes the buildup that no-lye relaxers sometimes leave on your hair. People who have hard water sometimes use it. The one that I've been using is christophe beverly hills clarifying shampoo. it's sulfate free. However, most shampoos that chelate will say on the bottle that it removes calcium buildup.

Products with garlic in it should help with the shedding. I was shedding heavily for a month or so, but I started to take garlic pills and my shedding has decreased.
I started taking garlic pills as well and my shedding has decreased a lot too! Garlic pills are the TRUTH!!!:yep:

Sorry to hear you're shedding so much. I'm shedding also and just got some garlic shampoo (nutrine) in the mail today. I'm not going to be able to use it until this weekend, others on the boards have had a lot of success in using garlic shampoo/condish to help stop shedding.
But otherwise it sounds like you're doing a lot to your hair. Maybe cut back to using only products that you've used in the past that you know don't cause any problems, try not to pile too many products on at once, and try not to manipulate your hair too much.

Have you recently changed any medications or eating habits?

i was shedding a lot the week before last. so i deep conditioned with a moisturizing conditioner for about 4 hours with no heat. then i washed my hair with aphogee shampoo and conditioned for 5 minutes with aphogee 2 minute conditioner. my hair is no longer shedding. i thought i was gonna have to get a relaxer (been transitioning for 11 months) but now i will not get one.

If you are using a lot of products with protein, then you may want to stop and switch to products that moisturize. You need to determine what caused the shedding so you can keep it from happening again.

Back