Please Help! My hair is making me depressed...breakage shedding knotting

Jadore_tay

:cry2:I am experiencing terrible breakge and shedding.I have no idea what is causing this to occur. My hair is relaxed and at waist length. The products I use are Aveda damaged remedy shampoo, Design Essentials stimulations moisturizing conditioner, JBCO, Nuetrogena Triple moisture leave-in to roller set or vo5 moisture milks to co wash and ORS olive oil moisturizer. I eat healthy,exercise and went to the doctor he said I'am fine but nothing seems to work.:nono:

I've tried clarifying with baking soda and shampoo which wasn't any help.

My hair is knotting hard to detangle (even it the shower) its dry all the time no matter how many times I moisturize, its breaking and shedding. I literally was in tears in the shower I went from thick WL to WL hair thats eating its way up to BSL.:cry:

Any suggestions? TIA

I am so sorry! *hugs*
You may want to try an ApHogee regimen?
The Two Step Protein Treatment every 4 weeks and 2 min Reconstructor once a week.

Your regimen seems great but you have no protein treatment for STRENGTH!
You need a balance of moisture and protein.

Just echoing what the previous poster said. But you need to add some protein in your hair care. Also do you use a lot of direct heat? If you do you should also use it rarely or if you must use a heat protectant. It may help to seal in your moisturizers with an oil.

I think the aphogee is a great idea. You might also want to try hot oil treatment with coconut oil after you do a protein treatment (not necessarily the same day, though you could do that). Coconut oil has been proven to prevent protein loss (there's a scientific paper out there).

I hope you hair's condition improves soon. HUGS!

How does your hair feel? This is an excerpt from one of SistaSlick's articles:

- When Wet or Dry) Stretches a little more than normal then breaks, you need more protein in your regimen.

- (When Wet or Dry)Stretches, stretches, stretches with no significant breakage yet, add a bit more protein to your regimen.

- (Wet)- Feels weak, gummy, mushy, or limp, you need to add more protein to your regimen.

- (Wet or Dry) Experiences very little to no stretching, and simply snaps or breaks, you need to increase the moisture in your regimen.

- (Dry) Feels rough, tough, hard, dry, tangly, brittle, or any combination of those, you need more moisture in your regimen.

The Fine Art of Protein and Moisture Balancing for Black Hair Care

I think once you do the wet assessment, it might give us a better idea of what's going on with your hair and whether it's hardcore protein you really need.

Also could you outline your detangling technique? How you do it, products, tools etc.

Last edited:
u have got some good advice from the above ladies.

when exactly did u notice the change in ur hair?

Just echoing what the previous poster said. But you need to add some protein in your hair care. Also do you use a lot of direct heat? If you do you should also use it rarely or if you must use a heat protectant. It may help to seal in your moisturizers with an oil.
NNo I try to stay away from direct heat only roller sets

How does your hair feel? This is an excerpt from one of SistaSlick's articles:

- When Wet or Dry) Stretches a little more than normal then breaks, you need more protein in your regimen.

- (When Wet or Dry)Stretches, stretches, stretches with no significant breakage yet, add a bit more protein to your regimen.

- (Wet)- Feels weak, gummy, mushy, or limp, you need to add more protein to your regimen.

- (Wet or Dry) Experiences very little to no stretching, and simply snaps or breaks, you need to increase the moisture in your regimen.

- (Dry) Feels rough, tough, hard, dry, tangly, brittle, or any combination of those, you need more moisture in your regimen.

The Fine Art of Protein and Moisture Balancing for Black Hair Care

I think once you do the wet assessment, it might give us a better idea of what's going on with your hair and whether it's hardcore protein you really need.

Also could you outline your detangling technique? How you do it, products, tools etc.
It stretches when wet but it dries rather quickly.. I detangle in the shower with a wide tooth comb and lots of con

u have got some good advice from the above ladies.

when exactly did u notice the change in ur hair?
Past 3 months now

Thank you ladies! I will give aphogee a try

If you're going to use the Aphogee 2 step treatment, please don't use it any more frequent than every six weeks (some would say eight weeks). It's a very strong treatment and if you use it any earlier than that time frame you could be asking for more trouble.

This will knock your hair back into shape though, but you must follow it up with a very moisture rich conditioner. Ensure that you use a light/medium reconstructor regularly with moisture to avoid these issues.

Either aphogee, or Infusium 23 leave in would be great. When my hair starts needing protein, I just start spraying it with infusium 23.....that stuff has a lot of protein in it.

i agree with the above. do an aphoghee treatment OR nexxuss Emergencee is good too.

when my hair was mushy and breaking from being over moisturized, i used a light protein once a month for two months. in between i used loreal hair fixer. it is a protein based leave in. i used this for 6 weeks. week one i used aphoghee. weeks 2-5 i used loreal. week 6 i used aphoghee again. by then my hair was back to normal. breakage had stopped and i started alternating light protein deep conditioner once a week, with a moisturizing conditioner to keep my hair ballanced.

the loreal was great because it strengthened my hair without making it too hard.

I don't suggest you do exactly what i did, i think you should use some type of intense protein treatment and leave in and then LISTEN TO YOUR HAIR. once it feels back to normal and breakage stops, then move on to a maintenance regi. it may take 2 weeks or 4 or 6 or 8.

good luck.

I agree with the poster who mentioned porosity. You may want to do a porosity test as well, just to confirm eh?

If it is a porosity issue then protein/the 2 minute Aphogee suggested will definitely help. Acidic conditioners could help too.

i am currently experiencing what I consider to be abnormal shedding and i don't know what to do. i'm not experiencing breakage, what I'm seeing are whole hairs, and lots of them every day. I did stop DCing as often as usual and I haven't put a rinse in my hair in a while so i'm thinking those are the culprits. wht do you all think? should i just go for the garlic to stop the shedding since i don't have breakage, or what else can I do?

i am currently experiencing what I consider to be abnormal shedding and i don't know what to do. i'm not experiencing breakage, what I'm seeing are whole hairs, and lots of them every day. I did stop DCing as often as usual and I haven't put a rinse in my hair in a while so i'm thinking those are the culprits. wht do you all think? should i just go for the garlic to stop the shedding since i don't have breakage, or what else can I do?

Yes, I would go for the garlic or even try tea rinsing. There's several threads about tea rinsing on this forum to stop shedding

It stretches when wet but it dries rather quickly.. I detangle in the shower with a wide tooth comb and lots of con

This definitely sounds like a porosity issue! Your hair may not be retaining any of the moisture you are putting on it because you are having porosity issues. Also, I would not use baking soda on my hair. The Ph level is almost as high as a relaxer.

Watch these videos in order...

1. YouTube - The Structure of Hair - Part 1 The Basics

2. YouTube - The Structure of Hair Part 2 - pH Balance Basics

3. YouTube - Structure of Hair Part 3 -Are you taking your hair on a pH roller coaster ride?

4. YouTube - Structure of Hair Part 4 - Using pH Balance Properly for Hair-Care

Back