Spoke to a kerasmooth representative

MDinLA

They said lye and kerasmooth does not mix and your hair will break at transition line. So how in the world are relaxed heads getting this done and loving it? What am I missing? And why is my hairdresser saying that getting this will be no problem?

May be it depends on the brand/type of keratin treatment. I never had one, and never will. But I remember when they first came out, I read it was safe for chemically relaxed hair, and can be used in between relaxers.

But that could have changed now, since more people have used it, and more research. Before it was basically harmless, but now, there are conflicting reports.

Did you ask about no-lye relaxers?

On another website it said:

KeraSmooth Anti-Frizz treatment should not be applied to hair parts that have been previously straightened with sodium hydroxide,guanidine carbonate,calcium hydroxide/calcium oxide blend,or with lye (lithium hydroxide) straighteners.

Does anyone know if no- lye relaxers have any of these chemicals?

On another website it said:

KeraSmooth Anti-Frizz treatment should not be applied to hair parts that have been previously straightened with sodium hydroxide,guanidine carbonate,calcium hydroxide/calcium oxide blend,or with lye (lithium hydroxide) straighteners.

Does anyone know if no- lye relaxers have any of these chemicals?

The main, active ingredient in a no-lye based relaxer is calcium hydroxide or guanidine hydroxide. from http://blackhair.about.com/od/permsrelaxers/p/lyevsnolyerelaxers.htm

I used Lasio (done at the salon), Rejuvenol (done at salon and then at home) and Marcia Teixeira chocolate (done by stylist) and all were okay for my hair. I do not know if they are safe for relaxed hair though. I was transitioning and had relaxed hair at the ends with natural hair at the roots.

I used Lasio (done at the salon), Rejuvenol (done at salon and then at home) and Marcia Teixeira chocolate (done by stylist) and all were okay for my hair. I do not know if they are safe for relaxed hair though. I was transitioning and had relaxed hair at the ends with natural hair at the roots.

All three are safe to use on previously relaxed heads. They do have formaldehyde in it, at least the original versions. I believe there are formaldehyde free versions, and they are all safe over relaxed hair.

Back