Splitender.......is it Sharp enough?

blackberry815

Does anyone use this who can attest that their ends stay fresh for a while after using this? I'm interested on buying one but I've spent good money at sallys on some Sharp scissors... I don't want to trust the Splitender if its trimming my hair with stupid dull blades.... Ide like to know that its not gonna cause my ends to act dumb in a few weeks after its use because they've been trimmed by cheap blades.. help

What was ur experience with the Splitender?

Sent from my ADR6400L

I use it but I never know if my ends stay "fresh" because I hardly ever straighten my hair but they do stay soft and smooth until I do something stupid and get more SSKs.
Sorry I couldn't help more!

I have it and LOVE IT and can attest that it keeps them ends NICE.

Why I like it so much is all the hair does not grow at the same speed so it clips those shorter hairs as well.

NO it does not just target the splitends it cuts all the ends YES even the good ones. HOwever it is such a small amount you wont miss them at all. NO machine has the capability to know which ends are split from the ones that are not.

There is a method to using it, your sections cant be too large or too small or else the machine wont take off enough.

It takes awhile to get through your entire head to pop in a DVD.

Yes it is a bit pricey but piece of mind is priceless.

I was using it every relaxer until I decided it was time to get rid of my color. Now that the color is almost gone I will resume using every relaxer and on top of tha going to the salon for a hemline cleanup every once in a while until my hair gets longer and then the salon will NEVER see me again.

I have it and LOVE IT and can attest that it keeps them ends NICE.

Why I like it so much is all the hair does not grow at the same speed so it clips those shorter hairs as well.

NO it does not just target the splitends it cuts all the ends YES even the good ones. HOwever it is such a small amount you wont miss them at all. NO machine has the capability to know which ends are split from the ones that are not.

There is a method to using it, your sections cant be too large or too small or else the machine wont take off enough.

It takes awhile to get through your entire head to pop in a DVD.

Yes it is a bit pricey but piece of mind is priceless.

I was using it every relaxer until I decided it was time to get rid of my color. Now that the color is almost gone I will resume using every relaxer and on top of tha going to the salon for a hemline cleanup every once in a while until my hair gets longer and then the salon will NEVER see me again.

thanks! so how long do your ends usually stay nice before you start to notice splits again? I'm thinking of buying it to use every relaxer as well. I actually would want it to trim all of the hairs and not just the splits as a preventive measure. the stylist doesn't just cut splits and thats my other alternative. My main concern was whether or not the blades are sharp enough to give me a nice clean and sharp cut.

thanks! so how long do your ends usually stay nice before you start to notice splits again? I'm thinking of buying it to use every relaxer as well. I actually would want it to trim all of the hairs and not just the splits as a preventive measure. the stylist doesn't just cut splits and thats my other alternative. My main concern was whether or not the blades are sharp enough to give me a nice clean and sharp cut.

My ends dont get split they get a bit weathered and if they are split I did not see them maybe they were on a microscopic level. I could especially tell when I was swimming because I did not do the necessary precautions prior to. At that time I honestly can say I lost maybe a 1/8-1/4 of an inch. I could barely tell I did a trim, the splitender is more like a duster.

After I go in for a trim in Sept,l I am ALSO going to use my splitender for the shorter hairs that are Always missed during a trim.

Yes your dust will be very clean you can tell the difference after its all done.

I dont really get horrible ends because I keep them moisturized and I dont use heat that often maybe 1x a month and I dont go over 350 degrees.

I use it more as a preventative.

Last edited:
I have one but I have not used it in a while (over 6 months). It gives the hair a smoother appearance after using it. I need to break it out because its been a while since I have trimmed my hair all over. I usually just trim the very ends of the hair with my shears because I'm too lazy to spend the time to use my split ender, since you have to do very small sections at a time. If the blades get dull, you can order replacement blades from the original website I think.

I have one and will be using it again in the next few days. I want to clean up my individual ends without cutting my hair.

I've used with success 2x since I bought it last Fall. My hair is healthy, but I had some breakage last Summer from a hair tool, so without the SE I wouldn't be able to neaten up my ends without doing a search and destroy, which is too much work for me to do.

I just got off the phone with victor talavera and he was actually pretty nice answered alot of my questions to the best of his ability. I will post my questions and his answers after work.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Ladies i used my splitender but i have a quick question... I never actually switched the directional switch.. i did the first side and made sure the arrow was pointing down down to the floor and then when i switched hands I just left it that way.. so in other words i did it right side up on one side and then by the time i got to the next side it was upside down and the directional switch was still always pointing to the ground... Is this ok? Or did u guys actually change the directional switch when u switched hands and keep it right side up? I used it last week but this just occured to me..

davisbr88 Myjourney2009 krissyprissy frizzy
NJoy
Sent from my ADR6400L

Ladies i used my splitender but i have a quick question... I never actually switched the directional switch.. i did the first side and made sure the arrow was pointing down down to the floor and then when i switched hands I just left it that way.. so in other words i did it right side up on one side and then by the time i got to the next side it was upside down and the directional switch was still always pointing to the ground... Is this ok? Or did u guys actually change the directional switch when u switched hands and keep it right side up? I used it last week but this just occured to me..

@davisbr88 @Myjourney2009 @krissyprissy @frizzy
@NJoy
Sent from my ADR6400L

As long as the arrow is pointing downward, you're ok.

And I'd like to add my two cents. I bought the splitender last year and love it. I liked having fresh ends and my ends stayed perfect all year. Of course, I protected my ends like crazy too but, I felt that the splitender did help keep them nice.

Now into year two (I haven't used it much because detangling has been keeping me busy these days) I plan to get a few splitendings in (making up my own words these days, huh? lol). Towards the end of last year, my daughter was using my splitender on her weave so, I definitely want to make sure she didn't dull my blade any. I think they suggest new or newly sharpened blades after a certain number of uses (I think it's like 12. Don't quote me tho). Since I can't remember offhand and I don't know how many times she's used it, I think I want to get new blades or find out how to get them sharpened...inexpensively.

But I think it does a great job. You'll like it. :yep:

As long as the arrow is pointing downward, you're ok.

And I'd like to add my two cents. I bought the splitender last year and love it. I liked having fresh ends and my ends stayed perfect all year. Of course, I protected my ends like crazy too but, I felt that the splitender did help keep them nice.

Now into year two (I haven't used it much because detangling has been keeping me busy these days) I plan to get a few splitendings in (making up my own words these days, huh? lol). Towards the end of last year, my daughter was using my splitender on her weave so, I definitely want to make sure she didn't dull my blade any. I think they suggest new or newly sharpened blades after a certain number of uses (I think it's like 12. Don't quote me tho). Since I can't remember offhand and I don't know how many times she's used it, I think I want to get new blades or find out how to get them sharpened...inexpensively.

But I think it does a great job. You'll like it. :yep:

Thanks NJoy i spoke with victor talavera last week (apparently hes his own customer service department) he said that if you use it often u may want to change the blades in 7 or 8 months. Even though the website does say 12 months...

Sent from my ADR6400L

NJoy and everyone how small are ur sections when u do it? I used the splitender as i took each roller out after a regular wash and set. Using regular sized roller parts. Should i go with smaller sections than that?

Sent from my ADR6400L

blackberry815

I've never used the thing in a directionally wrong position. I would imagine that nothing would happen, that it wouldn't trim your ends because the blade is not in place, but I don't know. What did happen when you did it?

I catch myself using sections that are too large. If the SE isn't going through smoothly to the ends, you should use a smaller section. As long as you didn't have any problems moving the tool through from top to bottom, it should be fine. How did it do for you?

Thanks for the info, I never thought about replacing or being able to replace the blade.

frizzy i actually didnt have it directionally in the wrong position. I just never changed the directional switch. It actually was still pointing down its just that it was flipped upside down when i went to the next side.

It did trim everything. Pretty much got a good dusting. I do notice that side of my hair looking a bit rougher on the ends but that could be because when i got my last wash and set this week i dont think I got fully dry under the dryer before she pulled my rollers out she also blew out my hair to the ends...so i dont want to blame the splitender.

I did find some splits after using it... I searched an destroyed... So either it caused them or it didnt get them all. But then again that could also be a result of getting a blowout...

Eta.. i washed and set my hair and splitendered on friday and then went to a family function on sunday where i got pulled into the pool ( yes chlorine water without any pre swimming hair prep) of course i washed and conditioned right after but i let it airdry....so i went to the salon to get a wash and set again on monday because i like my hair smooth and didnt feel like doing it all over again after the set she blew it out.... i said all that to say... The chlorine, airdrying and blowdrying after a not fully dried set could have also been a contributing factor to finding splits and having somewhat rough ends shortly after splitendering.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Okay, I did misunderstand. As long as the arrow is pointing down it doesn't matter, you did it correctly.

Your hair looks beautiful in your avatar! blackberry815

frizzy i actually didnt have it directionally in the wrong position. I just never changed the directional switch. It actually was still pointing down its just that it was flipped upside down when i went to the next side.

It did trim everything. Pretty much got a good dusting. I do notice that side of my hair looking a bit rougher on the ends but that could be because when i got my last wash and set this week i dont think I got fully dry under the dryer before she pulled my rollers out she also blew out my hair to the ends...so i dont want to blame the splitender.

I did find some splits after using it... I searched an destroyed... So either it caused them or it didnt get them all. But then again that could also be a result of getting a blowout...

Eta.. i washed and set my hair and splitendered on friday and then went to a family function on sunday where i got pulled into the pool ( yes chlorine water without any pre swimming hair prep) of course i washed and conditioned right after but i let it airdry....so i went to the salon to get a wash and set again on monday because i like my hair smooth and didnt feel like doing it all over again after the set she blew it out.... i said all that to say... The chlorine, airdrying and blowdrying after a not fully dried set could have also been a contributing factor to finding splits and having somewhat rough ends shortly after splitendering.

Sent from my ADR6400L

I doubt it caused them I've had my splitender going on year 2 ( just had blade replaced) and I dont recall it every causing splits.

It doesnt catch everything at leas to me it doesnt. It really depends on the section and how slow you go.

Glad you liked it, I really feel it is a good investment

I doubt it caused them I've had my splitender going on year 2 ( just had blade replaced) and I dont recall it every causing splits.

It doesnt catch everything at leas to me it doesnt. It really depends on the section and how slow you go.

Glad you liked it, I really feel it is a good investment

Ita i plan on not doing trims at the salon anymore.. im just gonna use my splitender and my creaclip when i want blunt ends... For now im just going to let it grow.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Last edited:
i returned mine....it didn't even cut that much hair....not lengthwise...but i mean the little tray thingie didn't have that many cut hairs in it so i don't think it was doing the job.....

i returned mine....it didn't even cut that much hair....not lengthwise...but i mean the little tray thingie didn't have that many cut hairs in it so i don't think it was doing the job.....

Mine cut alot of tiny hairs... Was your hair freshly washed? if not the hairs might not go through the chambers right.. also you have to make sure ur parting small pieces... also I heard theres alot of knockoffs going around that don't work as well as the authentic ones.

but you already returned it.

Back