Split Ends!

gn1g

Have you been able to repair split ends without cutting them? If so, what's the secret?

No repairing split ends. There are some products that can temporary bind the hair back and give it a smoother appearance and feel but they will wear off and you'll have to keep using them. And while you're doing that, that split is traveling up the hair shaft. Don't do it. I know it sucks but just cut them.

I have yet to repair split ends. The way I avoid them is by straightening, cutting them, and moisturizing the ends.

Last edited:
tumblr_niqnb4Hklm1smcbm7o1_500.gif

I really hate to cut my waist length. I am a sloooow grower and would need to cut at least 2 inches off. My split ends came from taking hypertension medication. I am think of trying this recipe hair mask on my ends one day this week:

1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Honey
1 large egg yolk
1 tbsp coconut oil
mix all ingredients, apply to ends and rinse after 1 hour.

and or purchasing Tresemmé Split Remedy Leave-In Conditioning Treatment.

I am open to all remedies.

I really hate to cut my waist length. I am a sloooow grower and would need to cut at least 2 inches off. My split ends came from taking hypertension medication. I am think of trying this recipe hair mask on my ends one day this week:

1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Honey
1 large egg yolk
1 tbsp coconut oil

That does sound like a yummy concoction. Your hair overall might love it! This might make your ends feel better but only for a while. Think about it. You have 2 inches to cut now but while you're trying to repair them that 2 will turn into 4+. You don't want to ruin all of the progress you've made.

Does anybody tune into the Beauty Brains podcast? It's absolutely super...they almost always have something hair related to say. Last week they talked a bit about a technology to mend split ends, this is the write up for that portion:

Another split and breakthrough?
We’ve talked before about split end mending products and how most of them don’t do anything more than split and prevention. That’s because any good conditioner that smooths the hair and reduces friction will help prevent split ends from forming.

We’ve been aware of just one technology that actually works. It’s something we developed for the Tresemme line, although it is found in a few other hair care products. This is the PolyElectrolyte Complex or PEC. It works by getting into the split and then shrinking it shut. The material sticks around through multiple washings and it also provides an unusual slick feel which some people really love. What’s most amazing about it is that it can do this from a rinse out product. Up until now this is the only ingredient that we have seen proven to work this way but it appears there’s a new kid in town.

One of the premier hair care ingredient companies in the world, Croda, has developed a complex that they call Crodabond CSA. That’s their brand name for a mixture of Hydrogenated Castor Oil and Sebacic Acid Copolymer.

According to Croda, this material sticks to lifted cuticles and cements them down. I’m not exactly sure what the mode of action really is because just cementing the cuticle won’t seal a split end. You have to get inside the fragmented remains of the cortex and weld that back together. But Croda does know a LOT about this area because we’ve seen other research they’ve done. Apparently CSA also has a high refractive index which means it improve the shine of hair. Best of all it also works from a rinse out product.

Croda efficacy tested the complex in ways that were similar to ones we’ve used. You take hair tresses and artificially generate split ends by flogging them. You count the splits under a microscope, treat the tresses with the product and a control, then recount the splits. Then, you wash the tresses and repeat the count to see how many split ends stay glued shut and how many popped open again. In addition they used consumer testing which established that the difference was not only technically valid but was consumer perceivable. Seems like a valid approach because they combined lab and consumer data.

Now here or things to watch out for: All this testing was done by the supplier under what I assume was optimal conditions. We don’t know how this ingredient will perform in any given formula when used properly (right concentration, optimized for delivery.)

These kind of ingredients tend to be touchy to formulate with because they require a carefully balanced system to deposit appropriately. Some companies who don’t do their homework simply throw the ingredient in a stock formula and then assume it will work. The bigger companies have more R&D dollars so they will take the time to optimize the formula and then test it to confirm it works.

Right now, since this is fairly new, I’ve only seen a few product that use this ingredient and none of them are from large R&D departments. Instead they’re from salon brands:

• Alterna Bamboo Smooth Anti-Frizz Conditioner
  • ALTERNA BAMBOO Color Hold & Vibrant Color Conditioner
  • Sexy Hair Concepts Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Milk Daily Conditioner
So is this “new kid in town” really a beauty breakthrough? That remains to be seen but if split ends are really a problem for you and you want to try something that is backed by some science then it looks like products with Hydrogenated Castor oil/Sebacic acid copolymer maybe worth a try.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2015/11/would-you-use-spray-on-nail-polish-episode-109/

1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Honey
1 large egg yolk
1 tbsp coconut oil

You may not have to cut all at once. Use a reconstructed or hard protein evey 4 to 6 weeks and trim 1/2" off every 4 to 6 weeks. This is a he advice Komaza gave me when I had severe damage.

I would still use the recipe to protect the new ends if I were you. Good luck.
I had to cut my split ends and do a weekly protein reconstructor treatment which helped a lot.

Back