Split end nightmare, please help

haircare4life***

Hello can someone please help me to find the cause of my split ends. Sorry for long post but wanted to be detailed.
I have had a split end problem for at least 3 years maybe longer but not sure because before my hj I never checked my hair. At first I thought my hair was damaged by texturising, heat or bad braiders but I am back to being all natural and nobody has touched my hair for about 20 months and I haven't used heat since march.
I have tried different scissors, combs and brushes. different techniques; finger detangling, deep conditioning without heat, tried varying frequency of washing, different hair styles mostly protective and low manipulation. I have relatively soft water in my area, diet could be better but I drink a lot of water, exercise and have taken varying supplements for both hair and general nutrition. I trim regularly and although sometimes slack I have never completely fell off my hj.
I used to be a product junkie but now I keep it simple; wash weekly with tresemme, monthly clarify with proclaim, conditioner rotate between ORS replenishing, aphogee 2 min and motions moisture plus, leave in cantu sometimes add CON argon spray if needed, scalp sulphur 8 and/or oil mix (eliminated this for a while to see if cause) moisturiser, keracare naturals leave in, seal with oil or shea butter.
My splits vary pretty much every type of split from tree to bubble/hole. I search and destroy weekly for hours, the worst splits are the back, I barely get any splits on my fringe despite treating it the same. I cut 6 inches plus of hair at the back as a mini experiment to see if it is an ongoing problem or due told practises and splits have returned to that are. I am just completely stuck and frustrated I waste many hours of my life doing the search and destroy and I find it hard to take that people with bad hair practises ie my mum get away with zero split ends, I really want to cut my hair and start again but my experiment with the back of my hair means I know that is not the solution.

It sounds like you have trichorrhexis nodosa. Someone just started a thread w/the same question as you. Here was my response: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=19120515#post19120515

ETA the post:

@southerncitygirl thank you, I have more time to post. I have researched this condition extensively b/c I suffered from it. I am in year 2 of recovery. Here's some of my notes & links:

Trichorrhexis nodosa: What is it:

Trichorrhexis nodosa is a problem in which thickened or weak points (nodes) along the hair shaft cause your hair to break off easily. In other words, TN is the scientific term used to describe extreme breakage-- reoccurring in the same spot. It comes in two forms: It can occur at the roots (where hair appears to be not growing). This is called proximal TN. Or it may appear farther out and at the very ends. This is called distal TN. When the problem appears at the end of a hair shaft, its in the form of split ends, thinning hair, and hair tips that look white.

Excerpt from 1st link: Trichorrhexis nodosa is the most common hair shaft disorder. The hair is especially fragile, owing to the presence of tiny grayish-white nodules along the shaft. People with [distal] trichorrhexis nodosa have hair that breaks easily, leaving short, stubbly broken ends. The trichorrhexis may affect only isolated patches of hair, or may affect the entire head. Even gentle bending of an affected hair can break it off.

Cause & treatment:

Mechanical trauma: Certain things you do to your hair -- such as blow-drying, combing, brushing, perming, coloring, chemical use, shampooing, or sun/salt-water exposure -- appear to trigger the condition. Avoid harsh chemicals such as those used in straightening compounds and permanents. Do not use a hot hairdryer for long periods of time. The hair should not be ironed. Avoid harsh shampoos, but always use hair conditioners.

Prognosis:

Both acquired forms of trichorrhexis nodosa will disappear within about 2-4 years, if the trauma to the hair shafts is stopped. In the meantime, cream rinses and protein conditioners are helpful.

Links:
http://www.drgreene.com/qa-articles/trichorrhexis-invaginata-trichorrhexis-nodosa/
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001449.htm

Note:

I also did a post about a couple of guys [Asian] that acquired TN from using a brush like the Tangle Teezer: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=679723

Last edited:
virtuenow Thank you soooo much for your response, I missed that thread because I tend to linger around the entertainment section now rather than here, it is late where I am in the early morning and shear frustration of me sat here doing a search and destroy made me post without properly searching the forum, I will definitely look into this, thank you for the possible hint at a solution has made me feel better.

You have fine hair? DO you dust on a schedule as opposed to cutting when you see splits?

My hair splits a lot as its fine. I gotta dust every 6-8 weeks or I could be in for a setback.

Also, what is the state of your hair besides splits? like moisture retention, elasticity, porosity?

THe creme of nature and the aphogee products BOTH have dimethicone. THat will dry your strands out over time and cause splits. You might want to eliminate 'cones from your regi.

Are you keeping your hair wrapped up when at home? I had lots of splits and dryness in the back and crown and realized it was where I was resting my head on the damn couch! Since then, I've been pretty good at keeping my satin scarf on when lounging at home. Also, the side I sleep on stays shorter and a little more 'split' than the rest (my scarf always flys off at night).

Sorry to bump this but I wanted to say thanks to those that contributed, DarkJoy thanks for the advice despite the s&d the splits usually get too much around 2 months so I do a thorough trim then, I am very good at covering my hair as soon as I get home and most of the time my hair stays covered in the night for the rare occasion it falls off have a satin pillow as back up.
I have mostly medium to thick strands my hair in general is on point strong with good elasticity people always comment on how healthy it looks and are shocked when I point out the splits that is why I do not want to change up my regi but after the advice from virtuenow I was looking into natural shampoos maybe I would do the same for conditioner but as for moisture plus it took me so long to find a cheap moisture based conditioner and I have a salon size container to get through as for 2 min reconstructor I guess I will try to limit but it is one product that instantly makes my hair feel good in hindsight maybe it is the cones, at the end of the day I have battled this for way too long and really need to sort it so anything it takes and thanks for the links I really appreciate it the way you guys have helped I thought because I don't post too much I wouldn't really get a response.

Back