SPINOFF: Whose hair book helped you the most?

Which author's book helped you the most?

• Cathy Howse

Votes: 77 45.6%
  • Barry Flethcher

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Carolyn Gray

Votes: 22 13.0%
  • Shamboosie

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 39 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I was just reading the UBH thread, and a lot of ladies mentioned that they found LHCF after reading Cathy Howse's book. I didn't even know of any hair books until after I found hair boards. There are a lot of books people mention that I have never heard of, and I wonder if reading hair books helps lay a foundation and the info on the boards are kind of like building blocks.

The first hair book I read and the onethat was most helpful, was Shamboosie's Beautiful Black Hair, and it was honestly the reason why I even started thinking of growing my hair. I first read it as a transitioner, but decided to relax again after my BC. I did not agree with his constant plugging of Nexxus and Dudley's products, but I did understand his regimen and begin applying it. My hair thrived for a little while, until I became lazy, but we're not going to go there right now.

So which book and author helped lay a foundation for you and your hair and why?

For me it was Andre Walkers book Lets Talk Hair. My hair was very damaged from no-lye relaxers applied incorrectly, bleach, and dye. His book convinced me to cut my EXTREMELY damaged below-the-shoulder off. I made the cut! My hair was no longer 3/4 on top and almost shaved in the back. I loved the cut so much I kept my hair short for 1 year. Since growing my hair out (that was in 1998). I've had some cuts and kept my hair mid-back length for awhile, it's been so healthy and strong. Texturizing is okay and so is relaxing but it has to be done so perfect. Relaxing is definetly an art. Currently I'm wearing my natural texture and loving it!

v

Cathy Howse's book helped me along with LHCF. I used the methods I was drawn to, like washing 2x each week.

Cathy Howse's book and pictures inspired me the most. I could not figure out why my hair was so straight and thin when it was relaxed, and wanted my thick healthy hair to return as it was when i was a child.

Reading her book, i quickly realized that the condition and texture of my hair did not change.....it was just over processed, damaged from chemicals and color....nevertheless not being maintained properly! What can i say, we live and learn.

Her book, and LHCF has kept me motivated thus far...although its only been 3 months.

I began taking care of my hair after I read Cathy Howse book but her book was kinda confusing because she had too many incomplete thoughts in her book and I was like:confused: So I purchased Carolyn Gray's book almost a year ago and it's been all gravy ever since:)

Last edited:
Last year this time, I went to my local bookstore to look for Shamboosie's book because I was so frustrated with my hair breakage. I had seen this book at various hair salons over the years, and had read bits and pieces while waiting for the stylists to do my hair. I did not find Shamboosie's book that day, but I found "The Black Women's Guide to Beautiful Hair" by Lisa Akbari instead. This book helped me to stretch relaxers (something I thought was never possible), learn how to wash my hair so that I didn't have dandruff, learn not to scratch my scalp with my nails or other objects, and realize that all hair is good hair.
Initially, I was so impressed with the book that I ordered her hair products (which were heavily promoted in the book and her website). In the beginning, I saw a little bit of a difference. Eventually, my hair became very hard because of all the protein in her products (something I only learned about after finding this website)......

Cathy house got me started...then i found BHM by accident...and then i found LHCF (my sister put me on). I have made my home here every since. If there was an LHCF Thread Book, i would have voted that :grin:

I voted Cathy because that was the first book I read but I really got a bit out of these there authors: cathe, carolyn, and shamboosie

I started taking care of my hair differently years ago after I read a book called Good Hair: For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Weaves When the Chemicals got too Ruff by Lonnice Brittenum Bonner.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Hair-Col...ef=sr_1_4/103-1065167-2419043?ie=UTF8&s=books

The author had done everything to her hair from jheri curl to TWA and back before transitioning to natural. Her stories were HILARIOUS!!!!!!!! Although I'm not planning on going natural, the book taught me about not relaxing bone straight, safe hair tools etc. She had a lot of ideas of different types of braidouts and twists also. She's written a few other books about natural hair since.

Shamboosie's book was a great help to me. I like to use Nexxus so the product placement didn't bother me. Shortly after I found LHCF.

PatTodd said:
I started taking care of my hair differently years ago after I read a book called Good Hair: For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Weaves When the Chemicals got too Ruff by Lonnice Brittenum Bonner.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Hair-Colored-Considered-Chemicals/dp/0517881519/sr=1-4/qid=1164416075/ref=sr_1_4/103-1065167-2419043?ie=UTF8&s=books

The author had done everything to her hair from jheri curl to TWA and back before transitioning to natural. Her stories were HILARIOUS!!!!!!!! Although I'm not planning on going natural, the book taught me about not relaxing bone straight, safe hair tools etc. She had a lot of ideas of different types of braidouts and twists also. She's written a few other books about natural hair since.
Yes, that was the hair book that helped me go through the natural process without breaking all my hair. :yep:

seemegrow said:
Shamboosie's book was a great help to me. I like to use Nexxus so the product placement didn't bother me. Shortly after I found LHCF.

same with me. i found LHCF shortly after reading shamboosie's book. the book was very helpful for beginning my hair journey, but certainly doesnt talk about anything we dont discuss here.

I didnt vote because I didnt read any of the other books so I have nothing to compare it to.

Shamboosie's book hands down! it was the first hair book i read. Everything started clicking after that. I got my regime from it and still consult it when i need hair advice. I found hair boards a month later. by then i already knew most everything about caring for my own hair. I've also read Lisa Akbari's book, The black woman's guide to beautiful black hair, Don't go hair products shopping without me, that Dickey book (i can't remember the name) and a few others. I still like Shamboosie's book the best.

Only book I own on hair care is Shamboosie's. I visit Cathy Howse's and Robin's Growafrohair web pages. I do not agree with everything from any of them but use a combination of the three. My best, current and immediate, troubleshooter source is LHCF.

Andre Walker Talks Hair was the first book I read and the bells started going off on how to take care of my hair. LHCF is by far the most informative and I've learned the most here.

My personal favorite was Healthy Hair Care Tips for Today's Black Woman by Cheryl T. Moss. The information she had was simple, clear and to the point.

another vote for Brittenum Bonner's books.

runner-up is Pamela Ferrell's _Let's Talk Hair_. Both excellent for technique and inspiration.

I voted "other". Andre Walker "Let's Talk Hair" was very informative. I read it right before I BCed. However after that it was LHCF and Nappturality that have helped me in my hair journey!

Oh yes, how could I forget? I do also own besides Shamboosie's book, Mary Beth Janssen's NATURALLY HEALTHY HAIR. The herbal recipes are great for creating your own hair treatments, oils, rinses, shampoos, etc.

CAN I JUST SAY RE: SHAMBOOSIE Don't believe the Bastid's advice about Clairol Textures and Tones being the only Perm colour SAFE to use of relaxed hair.

If you wanna see the results of that then just check out my album Still nursing that back to health. Other than that and his love for the flipping Nexxus. His book is pretty good. Still wanna meet him in a dark alley though for that Clairol Mess!! :mad:

Shamboosie! I just got done reading his book. This is the only one that I've read but I'm excited. I always switch up my regimen. It was good for me to read a good regimen mapped out in front of me. He broke down shampooing, the use of oil, roller sets, pressing and more. When I'm not online this book is a great reference.

I read Shamboosie's book while in Barnes & Nobles....didn't purchase it...:look:

I did buy Cathy Howse's book though and hands down her book is da' bomb! She even does a review of Shamboosie's book on her site here: http://www.ubhpublications.com/ReviewCompetitors.html I must say I agree with her on many points, and disagreed with Shamboosie on most (like trimming and relaxing so often)

I started with Cathy Howse and then Carolyn Grey. Both had good information but what I found very beneficial beyond the two of them...
Sista Slick's Fotki!!! :love:

Her 'Welcome' section and 'About Me' are the bomb!!! And it was free!!!

(Hurry ladies before she goes to print!!!)
:bouncy:

Carolyn Gray for me. I remember not knowing what steps were involved after reading so much from the boards about taking care of the hair. This is where her book helped me :)

I havent read the other hair books...but the one that i do have is by Shamboosie....i like his book but i think he pushes Nexxus products way too much..for one i tried to use Nexxus products and like what Cathy Howse said during reviewing his book she mentioned that these products lack oil...and im a type 4 hair i believe....so washing my hair with Nexxus products makes my hair extremely dry....then he mentioned about using lye relaxers..thats fine and well but my hair also works great with no lye relaxers also..i hardly see the difference with using either relaxer on my hair....i wouldnt say that his book helped me the most...i think what helped me the most is threads from different websites such as LHCF, DHCF, and BHM....and my own ideas of what to use on my hair...

Back