Spinoff: Tipping your Hairstylist

balisi

For those who don't tip your hairstylist, why don't you tip? $5 seems to be the majic number for those who do tip, but what is that based on?

I always try to tip my hairstylist. $5-$10 is about the most I can do for a tip right now since I am a student without a job. Sometimes I want to give more but just can't afford to right now. I always tip though, I just give what I can.

Like I said on the other thread, I don't tip because their income is not dependent on tips like waitresses/waiters. The only time I've tipped is when they go out of their way to accomodate me.

Keen said:
Like I said on the other thread, I don't tip because their income is not dependent on tips like waitresses/waiters. The only time I've tipped is when they go out of their way to accomodate me.
It depends on how the stylist is compensated. Those on commission don't make much money without tips, especially in chain salons with low prices. Also, wait staff don't have to attend school to enter that profession, as opposed to licensed stylists who must either apprentice or enroll in a cosmetology program.

Keen said:

So you do you tip when you mani/pedis, spa services, car valet, etc? They are in the service industry, so providing tips is part of their income..

I'll be honest, when I used to get my hair done, I never tipped my stylists...however, I haven't had my hair done professionally since I was about 16, so I wasn't really in a tipping position.

Once I start going to the salon (maybe occasionally in the next year or so once we have more money) I'll probably tip something b/c my mother always has and she told me I should to.

i think it's supposed to be something along the lines of 10-15%. i dont go to the salon but thats what i would do its wither less or the same as a waiter/tress which is 15-20% i think :confused:

Although I don't know the rules of individual salons, I always make the assumption that the stylists don't get 100% of the money for the work they do. If I'm paying 45, I usually assume that anywhere from 30-45% of that goes to the "house". Or they pay chair rent fees, etc So thats why I tip 20-25%.

I've never worked in a salon, and could be way off base on how the money works....but thats what i think as i'm deciding on a tip

I tip $5.00 mainly because it is what I can afford. If I made more $$$, then I would give more.

There was a point in time when I didn't tip at all because I didn't know any better.

I always tip 18-20% If I have been specially accmodated (like an early morning or late afternoon appointment) I'll tip more.

I only tip if I have been accommodated i.e. if she squeezes me in between appointments when I didn't have one. It's a nice gesture, and she's going out of her way and in return she receives a generous tip.

Like 5yrs ago i used to consistently tip $5, no matter what service i had done. It was because i thought 5 is a good amount to be 'giving' to someone as a kind gesture to say thank you. PLUS nobody never told me what is an appropriate tip for a salon. I've asked a few folks and they always skirt around the issue, so i never knew if this was a large tip or a small tip. Recently for the last 2yrs i've been only going to a salon for touchups and i tip my stylist $20 because the Hair Cuttery is rather cheap when it comes to relaxers. If i were going to a private salon and they were charging me an arm and a leg, then id tip $10. I went to another person this weekend and tipped $12 because the guy had a sucky attitude, but i was grateful that he didn't ruin my hair.

Balisi why don't salons post a tipping policy as a suggestion? How much would u want/expect to be tipped for a rollerset? how much for a touchup?

Thanks ladies! This really helps shed some light on the whys and whynots of tipping your stylist. SummerRain came pretty close, but the "house" typically gets the bulk or half of a commissioned stylist's service tickets. This is where tipping really makes a difference for the stylist. As a rule, stylists at chain salons are paid salary vs. commission and the typical base here in Atlanta is $6/hour. :( Great Clips pays a salary of $7/hour only. Although the "house" provides the salon supplies, electricity, etc., the stylists must provide their own tools (shears, flatirons, blowdryers, clippers, combs, brushes, etc.). And we're using professional tools, not something you'd find at Wal-Mart or CVS. If we want to use products that our salon doesn't carry, it is also at our own expense.

I've never booth rented so I can't speak knowledgeably about that. Way before I ever thought I'd become a hairstylist I used to tip my booth rent stylist a percentage of the service total. If I was extra pleased, I tipped more, but I never left without tipping.

Even when I was in cosmetology school, some patrons would never tip, and we were not getting paid at all.

Mizani Mrs, you and some of the respondents tip very well and appropriately. :yep: It would be nice if salons posted a tipping policy/suggestions. I am grateful for whatever tip I receive and I hesitate to state what I would like to receive because everyone's situation is different. But I do believe that anyone seeking services in which they are waited on one-on-one should be prepared to tip, especially when the service meets or exceeds expectations. It's really messed up when someone comes in for "the works," is happy with the service, and leaves no tip. :perplexed

i agree balisi. anyone leaving without tipping anything is just DEAD WRONG. well thanks for the info from now on i'll tip $5 if they just did the job, $10 if i feel like they did something extra to cater to my hair/hairtype. $15 if they did everything based on my hairtype and what my hair needs AND listens to what i want/suggest AND act like they want to do my hair. sometimes u ask for a service and they look at you like i'm asking for a papsmear. i mean the only things i ever get are rollersets and touchups...so i guess they don't like handling longr hair???? and $20 if it's my usual stylist...who i think i'll go back to him but i didn't this time since he relocated to a new salon...

balisi said:
Thanks ladies! This really helps shed some light on the whys and whynots of tipping your stylist. SummerRain came pretty close, but the "house" typically gets the bulk or half of a commissioned stylist's service tickets. This is where tipping really makes a difference for the stylist. As a rule, stylists at chain salons are paid salary vs. commission and the typical base here in Atlanta is $6/hour. :( Great Clips pays a salary of $7/hour only. Although the "house" provides the salon supplies, electricity, etc., the stylists must provide their own tools (shears, flatirons, blowdryers, clippers, combs, brushes, etc.). And we're using professional tools, not something you'd find at Wal-Mart or CVS. If we want to use products that our salon doesn't carry, it is also at our own expense.

I've never booth rented so I can't speak knowledgeably about that. Way before I ever thought I'd become a hairstylist I used to tip my booth rent stylist a percentage of the service total. If I was extra pleased, I tipped more, but I never left without tipping.

Even when I was in cosmetology school, some patrons would never tip, and we were not getting paid at all.

Mizani Mrs, you and some of the respondents tip very well and appropriately. :yep: It would be nice if salons posted a tipping policy/suggestions. I am grateful for whatever tip I receive and I hesitate to state what I would like to receive because everyone's situation is different. But I do believe that anyone seeking services in which they are waited on one-on-one should be prepared to tip, especially when the service meets or exceeds expectations. It's really messed up when someone comes in for "the works," is happy with the service, and leaves no tip. :perplexed

Balisi, I don't tip regularly, but I do buy gifts for my stylist. For example, I know that my stylist in B'ham likes a certain fragrance from Victoria's Secret, so occasionally I will pick some up for her. I have seen people treat her to lunch and breakfast too. Now, I will tip her if she does something extra, but I wanted to know if you would count meals/spontaneous gifts favorably.

I guess I see it as a service that HAS a service fee. Because the fee is already set, I set my tip at $5. Kind of like I'd give a sky cap $1 a bag because it's customary.

I do tip, BUT I personally don't think tipping is mandatory. I guess I don't get why some in the service industry (not just hair stylist) think that tipping is mandatory. When I sit in the chair, the stylist has his/her price list. That is what is MANDATORY that I pay for the service. Anything above and beyond is my choice, and typically I choose $5. That fits my pocket book. Even if I've paid $80 for a service, I don't have another $16 on top of that to give a 20% tip.

I know that's just me... But I'm fairly loyal, so in the end my stylist wins. :)

mango387 said:
Balisi, I don't tip regularly, but I do buy gifts for my stylist. For example, I know that my stylist in B'ham likes a certain fragrance from Victoria's Secret, so occasionally I will pick some up for her. I have seen people treat her to lunch and breakfast too. Now, I will tip her if she does something extra, but I wanted to know if you would count meals/spontaneous gifts favorably.

This is me... I'd be kind of put off personally if the salon I go to posts a tipping guide so to speak. My stylist IS on booth rent and she IS great! She's become my friend and holiday's etc, I give her gifts. I have ALSO brought in at LEAST 3 clients over the years that are loyal to her as I am. That pay off is more than any tip I can afford.

Now, there was a brief period when I was transitioning and she told me that she wasn't great with pressing, so I did the dominican salon and I came to you Balisi for a press (and you are GREAT I might add :) ).

But all and all I guess it's one of those things where if you're in a service industry and it's understood that it's not mandatory for someone to tip, then you gotta take the good with the bad. Some folks just don't have an extra 10-30% to give on top of what they are quoted. I know someone made the analogy to valet etc, but I don't tip the dry cleaners (don't know if I should, but I don't), and they provide me with a service. There are also many services that we DON'T typically give a percentage of the total bill... like valet or the lawn man.

IDK, maybe I'm just wrong and my measly $5 is unappreciated. :ohwell:

FAMUDva said:
I guess I see it as a service that HAS a service fee. Because the fee is already set, I set my tip at $5. Kind of like I'd give a sky cap $1 a bag because it's customary.

I do tip, BUT I personally don't think tipping is mandatory. I guess I don't get why some in the service industry (not just hair stylist) think that tipping is mandatory. When I sit in the chair, the stylist has his/her price list. That is what is MANDATORY that I pay for the service. Anything above and beyond is my choice, and typically I choose $5. That fits my pocket book. Even if I've paid $80 for a service, I don't have another $16 on top of that to give a 20% tip.

I know that's just me... But I'm fairly loyal, so in the end my stylist wins. :)
But don't you think that's the same as your employer saying that you already receive a salary for the work (services rendered) that you do plus benefits, so you should not receive a raise? A raise is not mandatory either, but don't you or wouldn't you feel put out if your work consistently meets/exceeds expectations, but is not recognized with a salary increase?

balisi said:
But don't you think that's the same as your employer saying that you already receive a salary for the work (services rendered) that you do plus benefits, so you should not receive a raise? A raise is not mandatory either, but don't you or wouldn't you feel put out if your work consistently meets/exceeds expectations, but is not recognized with a salary increase?

Nope... I tip... If my stylist doesn't think it's enough then maybe I should move on.

My employer does not tip me. :lol: I've worked in retail and know the ups and downs of commission. I also CURRENTLY work somewhat in a customer service type capacity (not in service per say, but for a company providing training on site to end users).

You're right, a raise isn't mandatory and everyone doesn't get them even in the same position JUST BECAUSE they work. It's common knowledge that the chick in the cubicle next to you can be doing less work and get paid more and you're not even supposed to ask about it.

I guess my take on it is that I chose the career I chose because I love science. Now that I'm in it, if I'm not happy with the pay etc, I'd move on. Not saying that should be the case with stylists, but if you're doing hair because you love it, then keep doing a great job. Just realize that everyone cannot or will not give tips. Just like every employer may not or will not give a raise just because or even for doing a good job.

Personally I feel like I don't get paid enough for what I do, but I like my job for now. I am however eyeing going back to school to get a doctorate so that I can press even higher in the salary catagory.

ETA: As far as raises go, I'd prefer that in addition to a raise I received other awards and incentives. In my field awards and accolades are looked upon highly and may in turn lead to higher positions which = more money.

mango387 said:
I've seen this done and I think that's a beautiful thing to do! :) Although the money is important, it's more about recognition.

balisi said:

So, are you saying that someone like me should just keep my $5 tip because that's what I can afford in light of the fact that I cannot afford to give 20% of a $80 bill?

I mean, paying $100 for a hair service isn't a luxury I personally have.

But in my case, I KNOW that my stylist keeps every penny of the money I give her. Yes, she pays booth rent and is responsible for her own products but the way she explains it to me is it's like she's her own "small business" without the overhead or headaches of owning the salon. Maybe everyone doesn't think like her, but hey.

FAMUDva said:
Nope... I tip... If my stylist doesn't think it's enough then maybe I should move on.

My employer does not tip me. :lol: I've worked in retail and know the ups and downs of commission. I also CURRENTLY work somewhat in a customer service type capacity (not in service per say, but for a company providing training on site to end users).

You're right, a raise isn't mandatory and everyone doesn't get them even in the same position JUST BECAUSE they work. It's common knowledge that the chick in the cubicle next to you can be doing less work and get paid more and you're not even supposed to ask about it.

I guess my take on it is that I chose the career I chose because I love science. Now that I'm in it, if I'm not happy with the pay etc, I'd move on. Not saying that should be the case with stylists, but if you're doing hair because you love it, then keep doing a great job. Just realize that everyone cannot or will not give tips. Just like every employer may not or will not give a raise just because or even for doing a good job.

Personally I feel like I don't get paid enough for what I do, but I like my job for now. I am however eyeing going back to school to get a doctorate so that I can press even higher in the salary catagory.
I was equating (as much as possible) a raise with a tip due to the differences in our respective compensation.

I held a corporate job for 20 years before changing careers to pursue my passion for hair. Trust, I've sometimes wondered if I did the right thing, only because of the deep, deep, DEEP pay cut. Other than that, I love what I do, give the best service I can, and I'm hanging in there. Since I'm relatively new to the industry, where I am now is truly the first rung on my ladder of success.

It's not a matter of whether or not some will tip while others won't. That's part and parcel of my profession. The purpose of this thread was to find out WHY some do and some don't, as well as the significance of $5 vs. $2 or $10. As I mentioned earlier, I am grateful for whatever tip I receive.

balisi said:
I was equating (as much as possible) a raise with a tip due to the differences in our respective compensation.

I held a corporate job for 20 years before changing careers to pursue my passion for hair. Trust, I've sometimes wondered if I did the right thing, only because of the deep, deep, DEEP pay cut. Other than that, I love what I do, give the best service I can, and I'm hanging in there. Since I'm relatively new to the industry, where I am now is truly the first rung on my ladder of success.

It's not a matter of whether or not some will tip while others won't. That's part and parcel of my profession. The purpose of this thread was to find out WHY some do and some don't, as well as the significance of $5 vs. $2 or $10. As I mentioned earlier, I am grateful for whatever tip I receive.

I understood. I just thought the tone was starting to get to a percentage is right and a $ amount is wrong in some way. So maybe I misunderstood where the thread was heading although I did understand the original question.

Again, to answer your original question, I typically tip $5 and sometimes $10 depending on the circumstances. I ALWAYS tip something, but it usually depends on several factors, but most importantly what I can afford at the time and how well the service was performed or how comfortable I felt while receiving the service. I tip the same way when I'm dining regarding level of service.

Best of luck to you! And of course keep up the excellent work!

FAMUDva said:
So, are you saying that someone like me should just keep my $5 tip because that's what I can afford in light of the fact that I cannot afford to give 20% of a $80 bill?

I mean, paying $100 for a hair service isn't a luxury I personally have.

But in my case, I KNOW that my stylist keeps every penny of the money I give her. Yes, she pays booth rent and is responsible for her own products but the way she explains it to me is it's like she's her own "small business" without the overhead or headaches of owning the salon. Maybe everyone doesn't think like her, but hey.
FAMUDva, I hope I'm wrong, but your responses are coming across a bit defensive to me. :confused:

I could, and would NEVER suggest that you or anyone else should just keep your $5 tip. That money can put a couple gallons of gas in my car! Trust me, it is very much appreciated.

And I agree that sending referrals to your stylist, especially loyal ones, is worth much more than any tip.

I haven't booth rented yet, but I do understand how it works. The stylist must pay the booth rent whether she made $15 or $1500 for the week. Booth renters are basically independent contractors, so yes, it is her own small business. I know a young lady who uses this as criteria for whether or not she will tip her stylist. Commissioned = tip, booth renter = no tip BECAUSE she knows the booth renter keeps all the money she receives. I disagree, but that is her choice and I see the method to her madness, so to speak.

balisi said:
FAMUDva, I hope I'm wrong, but your responses are coming across a bit defensive to me. :confused:

I could, and would NEVER suggest that you or anyone else should just keep your $5 tip. That money can put a couple gallons of gas in my car! Trust me, it is very much appreciated.

And I agree that sending referrals to your stylist, especially loyal ones, is worth much more than any tip.

I haven't booth rented yet, but I do understand how it works. The stylist must pay the booth rent whether she made $15 or $1500 for the week. Booth renters are basically independent contractors, so yes, it is her own small business. I know a young lady who uses this as criteria for whether or not she will tip her stylist. Commissioned = tip, booth renter = no tip BECAUSE she knows the booth renter keeps all the money she receives. I disagree, but that is her choice and I see the method to her madness, so to speak.

No sweetie, I'm not getting defensive. I was just not clear on how the tone was heading like I said earlier. I took it as an implication that if there is not a percentage tip then something may be wrong with that. I apologize if you thought I was getting defensive because that was never the case.

I am secure with my tipping methods and know that it's within my means and I know that my stylist understands that I certainly appreciate her. She's been my stylist since I was a poor grad student and didn't have money to tip. :lol: So, she's knows that the amount of my tip is no reflection of how great of a job she does. Like I said, I always tip now but I tip within my personal means. I personally don't think it's mandatory to leave a tip to ANY service provider. It's extra IMO. I do understand that it's the bread and butter of the service provider in some cases, but my money is my bread and butter also, so I have to keep that in mind.

There has only been one occasion when I DID NOT tip a hair stylist when I HAD the money. In that case I was unhappy with my service and the results, so I paid what I was quoted for the work she did, but nothing more. To me a tip is like saying thank you on top of the great job you did. I may possibly be in the minority with my logic, but that's how I operate.

Back