SPINOFF: The blow dryers at Dominican Salons

Solitude

There have been quite a few threads about Dominican salons. In this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=388298
, many ladies were commenting on the heat from the blow dryers. As a frequent client of these salons, and someone who does this technique myself at home, I decided to share with you the type of dryer used at one of the salons that I go to. It's a turbo 1500, made in Italy.

picture.php

You can see it here: http://www.folica.com/Turbo_Power_Tur_d5274.html.

I am considering purchasing one for home use.

I am growing out layers & in August I cut off all my damaged hair, especially in the middle.I went to a salon that used these dryers and got my hair rollerset & blownout (completely straight, but without the flat-iron finish) for 6 months.To save money, in January I started doing them myself. I used the same technique – rollersetting, then flat-ironing or blowdrying. In about 9 months of using “The Dominican Technique,” my hair went from this in August 2008 (excuse the goofy look on my face; I was talking!):

picture.php

To this in May 09:

picture.php

And from this in September 08:

picture.php

To this in January 09:

picture.php

And then, in May of 09, to this:

picture.php

Even with using all the “scary heat” from the Dominican salons, and “blow friers” and flat-irons, I still retained all of my length. I had one small trim in November of 2008, and only light dustings in between. I have no splits or breakage. I wish the last picture was clearer, but I didn’t plan on doing a progress thread. My next update with be in September and I’m pretty sure I will be APL – which means I went from chin/ nape length to APL in a year using direct heat about twice a month.

In short, if you aren’t comfortable with the heat, don’t go to these salons and don’t use too much heat. If you’ve never been, don’t be so quick to judge, and if you’re curious, don’t be afraid to try it.

I have only had one small half-inch trim. I dust my hair regularly. No clumps of my hair have fallen out. Thankfully, I haven't had any setbacks. Despite the joke in my siggie, I actually do have fine strands :look: and thick hair. I've been relaxed for over 10 years.

In short, heat styling does not have to be detrimental to your hair. I took care of my hair in between visits to the salon and spoke up when I was unhappy or if I felt they were doing something wrong. Clearly, if your hair is not healthy, then you need to lay off of heat styling! But, if your hair is healthy, and you want your hair styled nicely, there is nothing wrong with going to Dominican Salons.

I really want to go to a Dominican Salon...but I'm pretty sure there aren't any here in Los Angeles. And the ones in Boston didn't really practice healthy hair care.

But if I find a good one, you've convinced me to go! I just want one good rollerset to see how my hair turns out.

Oh and in the interest of promoting healthy heat usage, here are two great threads:
A question for those who fear heat.

Why is it bad to use oil when pressing/flat ironing?

Last edited:
There have been quite a few threads about Dominican salons. In this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=388298
, many ladies were commenting on the heat from the blow dryers. As a frequent client of these salons, and someone who does this technique myself at home, I decided to share with you the type of dryer used at one of the salons that I go to. It's a turbo 1500, made in Italy.

picture.php

You can see it here: http://www.folica.com/Turbo_Power_Tur_d5274.html.

I am considering purchasing one for home use.

I am growing out layers & in August I cut off all my damaged hair, especially in the middle.I went to a salon that used these dryers and got my hair rollerset & blownout (completely straight, but without the flat-iron finish) for 6 months.To save money, in January I started doing them myself. I used the same technique – rollersetting, then flat-ironing or blowdrying. In about 9 months of using “The Dominican Technique,” my hair went from this in August 2008 (excuse the goofy look on my face; I was talking!):

picture.php

To this in May 09:

picture.php

And from this in September 08:

picture.php

To this in January 09:

picture.php

And then, in May of 09, to this:

picture.php

Even with using all the “scary heat” from the Dominican salons, and “blow friers” and flat-irons, I still retained all of my length. I had one small trim in November of 2008, and only light dustings in between. I have no splits or breakage. I wish the last picture was clearer, but I didn’t plan on doing a progress thread. My next update with be in September and I’m pretty sure I will be APL – which means I went from chin/ nape length to APL in a year using direct heat about twice a month.

In short, if you aren’t comfortable with the heat, don’t go to these salons and don’t use too much heat. If you’ve never been, don’t be so quick to judge, and if you’re curious, don’t be afraid to try it.

I have only had one small half-inch trim. I dust my hair regularly. No clumps of my hair have fallen out. Thankfully, I haven't had any setbacks. Despite the joke in my siggie, I actually do have fine strands :look: and thick hair. I've been relaxed for over 10 years.

In short, heat styling does not have to be detrimental to your hair. I took care of my hair in between visits to the salon and spoke up when I was unhappy or if I felt they were doing something wrong. Clearly, if your hair is not healthy, then you need to lay off of heat styling! But, if your hair is healthy, and you want your hair styled nicely, there is nothing wrong with going to Dominican Salons.

Gorgeous hair and Excellent advice!

I really want to go to a Dominican Salon...but I'm pretty sure there aren't any here in Los Angeles. And the ones in Boston didn't really practice healthy hair care.

But if I find a good one, you've convinced me to go! I just want one good rollerset to see how my hair turns out.

Oh and in the interest of promoting healthy heat usage, here are two great threads:

hey girl, there's a dominican salon in la! its at
domini salon
201 n westmoreland ave
los angeles, ca 90004
(213) 389 7896

Go for it! It's not for every one, but I finally decided to do one positive thread to kind of even out the bad ones.

If you do go, be sure to get a recommendation from someone. The two I frequent came from personal recommendations. The first one I tried wasn't that great, but luckily for me there are a lot of them in the DMV area.

Great links, too. ETA: Whatever happened to Artemis? Is she still on here?

hey girl, there's a dominican salon in la! its at
domini salon
201 n westmoreland ave
los angeles, ca 90004
(213) 389 7896

Have you been? Do you think they could be gentle while doing a rollerset on my 4a/b hair?

I'm not expecting silky straight hair, I actually just want to see how it will turn out.

Go for it! It's not for every one, but I finally decided to do one positive thread to kind of even out the bad ones.

If you do go, be sure to get a recommendation from someone. The two I frequent came from personal recommendations. The first one I tried wasn't that great, but luckily for me there are a lot of them in the DMV area.

Great links, too. ETA: Whatever happened to Artemis? Is she still on here?

I think I may try it out. I'm itching to do something different with my hair before it goes back in a weave.

I remember Artemis said she was taking a board break, indefinitely. I *think* I've seen her on another board, though it could have been someone with the same name.

I went to the Egyptian salon(same as the Dominicans) in Chicago and had a hot blow dry and my hair broke off after one visit. My hair was healthy but I knew from my mom that my hair couldn't take heat but I went anyway. That was 12 years ago, so from experience I know there is no way I can take that type of heat.

I don't think blowdrying in and of itself is any worse than flat ironing or using a pressing comb, for that matter. Heat is heat. And it's probably more to do with technique than anything. The last time a pressing comb came near my head, all my hair got burnt off. :look: Now, Pinkskates has been pressing for a minute and her hair is long, healthy and gorgeous.

I feel the same way about blowdrying and Dominican salons. I've seen (IRL not just on hairboards) great results and women grow their hair out beautifully. And I've seen some whose hair doesn't grow, but that could be because they trim a lot or whatever to maintain the current look and length they have. Only from naturals who have gone to Dominicans for a one-time straightening, do I hear of complaints. And as I don't know any naturals like that IRL, I only hear these stories online. :(

Blowdrying doesn't really agree with my hair all that well. But, I don't knock it for other people. If it works for you, do it! And OP, your hair looks gorgeous. :yep:

I went to the Egyptian salon(same as the Dominicans) in Chicago and had a hot blow dry and my hair broke off after one visit. My hair was healthy but I knew from my mom that my hair couldn't take heat but I went anyway. That was 12 years ago, so from experience I know there is no way I can take that type of heat.

I'm here in Chicago for the summer. I went to Yehia's which I guess in an Egyptian salon to buy some Aveda products. I was soooo tempted to get my hair done, but they were using Marcel flat-irons and all the women had big hair. After looking up reviews on here, I decided to pass.

I'm also in the short-term protective styling challenge, so I've been bunning this summer. I'm curious to see if I see a difference by protective styling versus heat styling.

I may need to look again...but I don't think the "blowfry" etc comments were specifically tailored to just the blow drying. I've never had a Dominican Blowout...but it's obvious that between that and the flatiron it was overkill. Several ladies who have had them said they didn't even get the extra heat like that when they got theirs done, and one of my rl friends has had it done and also said she didn't have hers flatironed. And I'm not saying her hair is damaged...but you often don't SEE heat damage until you splash some water on it, lol. I've seen some crazy silky hair before and was like :drool: until I saw it wet and was like :nono:.

I wasn't too concerned about the smoke as I really do think it was just the product she put on that was causing it. But saying that people are "judging" when they haven't gone through it and almost saying their points are invalid or overreacting isn't true. If I saw a bear on fire, am I not allowed to say it burns just because I haven't experienced being set on fire?:lachen:

I think most people respond in how they know it would take to their hair/scalp. Me personally..as coarse as some of my hair is, I've never had a problem with flatironing even my new growth when I didn't know proper hair practices. And watching that was like OWW because I relate it to how much heat -I- can take, and what's too much for -MY- hair. Not jumping at you, OP...I see what your point is, and appreciate you taking the time to educate some of us who didn't know what exactly was happening in the process. I'm just giving another way to look at the opinions.

Sad thing is...knowing all this...I still want to try BKT in the far off future.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I wouldn't have a problem going if I was relaxed, but I'm natural and not convinced that my hair would fully revert after all that heat.

there really wasnt a way to be quick to judge about said video , it was smokin hot all up smack dab in our faces :ohwell:

I understand, but smoke doesn't equal damage/fried hair. People on here say the same thing about pressing and wet-flat ironing and neither has proved to be particularly detrimental if done correctly.

Ideally, no you wouldn't want smoky hair or styling tools, etc, but that doesn't mean that her hair was fried.

I may need to look again...but I don't think the "blowfry" etc comments were specifically tailored to just the blow drying. I've never had a Dominican Blowout...but it's obvious that between that and the flatiron it was overkill. Several ladies who have had them said they didn't even get the extra heat like that when they got theirs done, and one of my rl friends has had it done and also said she didn't have hers flatironed. And I'm not saying her hair is damaged...but you often don't SEE heat damage until you splash some water on it, lol. I've seen some crazy silky hair before and was like :drool: until I saw it wet and was like :nono:.

I wasn't too concerned about the smoke as I really do think it was just the product she put on that was causing it. But saying that people are "judging" when they haven't gone through it and almost saying their points are invalid or overreacting isn't true. If I saw a bear on fire, am I not allowed to say it burns just because I haven't experienced being set on fire?:lachen:

I think most people respond in how they know it would take to their hair/scalp. Me personally..as coarse as some of my hair is, I've never had a problem with flatironing even my new growth when I didn't know proper hair practices. And watching that was like OWW because I relate it to how much heat -I- can take, and what's too much Not jumping at you, OP...I see what your point is, and appreciate you taking the time to educate some of us who didn't know what exactly was happening in the process. I'm just giving another way to look at the opinions.for -MY- hair.

Sad thing is...knowing all this...I still want to try BKT in the far off future.:rolleyes:

No offense taken. I appreciate your comment. That is why I chose to use MYSELF as example, not diminishing anyone else's opinion or experience. I used the word "judging" because that is something that happens often here. Newbies get scared off of everything and those who are thriving without strictly following LHCF unwritten "rules," simply stop posting or commenting, or just leave. I am only trying to offer a different experience.

@ your example of the bear....true, if a bear is on fire there is clearly danger. But, if there is smoke coming from the forest, it doesn't mean the whole forest is about to burn down. Someone could simply be sending smoke signals...:drunk:. That made no sense, I know
:lachen:.

I wouldn't have a problem going if I was relaxed, but I'm natural and not convinced that my hair would fully revert after all that heat.

I can completely understand someone, especially someone with natural hair, not wanting to take a risk. I do personally know people with natural hair who go occassionally for a special occassion, but it's not for everyone.

Yeah, some people can and some people can't, just ask Miss Norway.

Miss Norway was brave to share her experience and she probably spared someone else from going through the same thing.

Not directed at you, BUT people also thrive on drama. When she shared a negative experience, there were a ton of sympathy responses (and rightfully so), but when someone like me shares a POSITIVE Dominican salon experience, most people don't have anything good to say. I just find that strange.

If I had posted a thread about "omg, those dominicans burnt my hair!" folks would be in here shaking their heads and commenting right and left. Sometimes I think people of here enjoy setbacks and drama more than progress and positivity. We spend more time talking about what doesn't work, what is harmful, what causes setbacks, breakage, split ends, and what not to do....I guess I've been around here too long, maybe I need to take a break but I'm still technically a newbie *sigh.*

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I apologize in advance if my tone sounds salty, but this has been something that has been on my mind for a while.........

I agree with you that the Dominican doobies work to help gain length while maintaining style. To further add, a lot of regulars opt to pin curls, wrap, or only blow out the roots, as a way to avoid the frequent heat to their ends. Or some women will alternate: one week with heat, and the other week without heat. My point is that, while the Dominican doobie does work, it can have its pitfalls, as the heat can thin out strands and cause too much stress for some people. On the contrary, some people thrive when their hair is straightened, due to manageability.

Macherieamour is a prime example of one of the most beautiful heads of hair that uses weekly rollersets, blowdried roots, and silk wraps. She hardly did the protective styles to get to her length. So, yes, heat when used wisely, and supplemented with other DCs and protein, will not always be a detriment.

ETA: But in that video, I did think to myself that rollers under dryer, blowdryer, and then the flatiron on a REGULAR basis can't be that healthy, especially all that heat from root to ends. Its all in moderation, IMO.

Last edited:
I got the rollerset+flat iron idea from the Dominicans--skipping the blowdry. It's worked great for me. I don't not blowdry because I think it's any worse, it's just I don't get a "silky" look with the blowdryer. It seems to make my texture look a little coarse, even if I do follow-up with the flat iron. The rollersetting makes my hair look shiny and soft.

But I do think this is a good thread because I personally know ppl (who are natural) who go to the Dominicans weekly/bi-weekly and their hair has gotten longer than it has ever been.

Last edited:
From weeks 1-10 after a relaxer I do weekly doobies at home (except in the summer) and haven't experienced any setbacks :::knocks on wood::: lol It's not for everyone by any means, but you can retain length and have healthy tresses doing Dominican blowouts wkly.

What's funny to me is a while ago Dominican was the way to go. Dominican products, blow out, all that was the ish. I was MAD I couldn't find a salon in my area. LHCF had me bout to travel out of town to get my hair done at a dominican salon:lachen:

Now most people are like nope...too much heat:nono::burning: I guess it just depends on your hair and how much heat you think it can take.

I don't think Dominican blow outs are the devil. I too have had life long fantastic results with them. Excessive heat is bad, but done the right way will yield great results and will not damage hair... if I could only afford one of those blow dryers right now...

Usually I will have them do my roots around 10 weeks post. A blow out every week is too much for my hair. My hair is very dry, I don't need extra help.

I think it also depends on who does the blow drying. I went to one stylist and she practically had her knee in my back trying to blow my roots. On the other hand, some stylists are gentle and try not to give 3rd degree burns to your scalp.

I agree with the OP, speak up. If you don't want all that heat, tell them so. I know some stylists will protest but you are your best hair advocate:lol:.

OP, your hair is very full and pretty.

A lot of members were being very extra with the comments in the other thread. One was even borderline xenophobic and highly ignorant. As a 4b, I can tell you that you need hot heat to get straight hair. Maybe you don't realize the amount of heat being admitted from your flat iron, but I'm sure its equivalent to that of the blowdryer in the Dominican salon. When I get my hair braided, they use a blowdryer to smooth out the curl and yes, my hair does smoke a little. No. This is not a Dominican salon; its a natural hair salon that is highly particular about healthy hair practices.
If you get a "good ol' American press-n-curl" it will smoke. I've seen it myself. People need to make up their minds: go natural and wear your hair in its natural state or just relax it. You cannot have it both ways and then complain about the amount of heat being used to straighten your hair.

This is good advice, when I'm at home I leave my hair free and airdry as I wear a wig most of the time. I haven't notice much growth but I think my hair would do better with my hair laying smooth eg with flat ironing.

I just relaxed and am sitting with DC in now; hopefully there is come improvement

Thank you all for your comments! I didn't get a chance to log in all day because I am trying to finish up a project.

What's funny to me is a while ago Dominican was the way to go. Dominican products, blow out, all that was the ish. I was MAD I couldn't find a salon in my area. LHCF had me bout to travel out of town to get my hair done at a dominican salon:lachen:

Now most people are like nope...too much heat:nono::burning: I guess it just depends on your hair and how much heat you think it can take.

I know! That's the irony. When I moved to DC I didn't know what "blowout" or "doobie" meant. I googled it and that's how I found LHCF. I'm really glad that I did, because I was really abusing heat before. That's the difference, now I know how to be healthier about heat styling.

I agree that it does depend on the individual. I just see soooo many beautiful heads of hair at the salon.

When I tell people I got Dominican blowouts for 7 months of my 12 month transition, they run the other way or just say "oh". Would I get DBs every other week now that I am natural and only rarely use heat? Probably not. However, they worked for me back in 2007-08, and my hair flourished. I could go as far as to say I would never have transitioned if it had not been for the coaxing of my Dominican stylist. Back when I was afraid of my curly hair, having someone tell me I could go to the salon down the street and get it straightened without the chemicals was the greatest thing I had ever heard of. Yes, people do have bad experiences, but that does not account for ALL experiences.

OP: Let me start by saying I think your hair looks great, and you've made good progress. But (dipping toe in post) I do think you could have much more progress if you were not applying so much heat. Now, I am completely biased. The blow dryer has never been my friend and the dominican method literally tore my hair up. But my stylist uses as similar method (roller set with blow dry) with less heat and less tension, and I went from barely SL to BSL in a little over a year. As long as you are not noticing breakage around the edges and in the top of your hair, I would believe you are not using excessive heat.

But if when it comes time to wash your hair you have stray, shorter pieces sticking out, that's breakage. One of the reasons people are misled by the dominican salon results is that the straightening process smoothes down the broken portions so they blend in with the longer hair and it's not as obvious after it's done. As I always say, look at the hair of the people coming in, not the ones going out. GL!

Back