Dominican Salons...heat or technique?

cmw45

This August I will have been natural for four years; my last relaxer was May 9, 2006 and my BC was August 31, 2006. During this time I have enjoyed my hair in all of its lengths and different stages. I have also been tempted to use a relaxer, texturizer or heat in an attempt to "straighten" my hair or provide additional styling options. Whenever I have talked to anyone about "straightening" my hair they have suggested that I go to a Dominican salon for a Dominican blow out. However, to be honest I have not been impressed with the blow out "expeirence." That is to say...It seems like a whole lot of heat and very little "technique."

*This is IMHO of course. Is there anyone else that can shed some more light on this matter? From what I have witnessed it's a roller set, sometimes a blowdrying of the roots AND a pass over with the flat iron. My intention in starting this thread is not to create a war over salon types or heat v. no heat. I am really just trying to understand the mojo of Dominican salons because to date I have been unimpressed.

Why don't you start to straighten your own hair and wear it straight from time to time?

All you need is a good blowdryer some heat protectant a hot comb and a ceramic flat iron and you're set. All you have to do is hone your technique.

I don't get the hooha about dominican salons either. For my natural hair, I sometimes pressed the roots straight and flatironed the rest but most of the time just pressed all of it. Never experienced heat damage, so yeah I agree with BMP.

Why don't you start to straighten your own hair and wear it straight from time to time?

All you need is a good blowdryer some heat protectant a hot comb and a ceramic flat iron and you're set. All you have to do is hone your technique.

That's exactly what I do...er...I get one of my sorority sisters to do it for me. However, I have sat in the salon while other friends have got Dominican blow outs (while the stylist eyeballed my naps, curls and waves and kept offering me a discount if I sat in her chair...LMAO...but no, seriously) and I have generally been unimpressed. I just wanted to see if there is generally more to a blow out and if I'm just missing the "magic."

The light airy "blowing in the wind" effect is simply a result of light products, and extremely high heat I also think it has to do with the way it strips the hair of moisture adding to this effect. This tends to work best on on straight hair, somewhat curly hair or hair that has been processed to be in those two hair type categories. When hair is coarser then that you have to be very wary. And honestly, she may just want you to be her guinea pig.....if anything ask to watch her do another kinky haired client and see if you're pleased with her level of skill.

The light airy "blowing in the wind" effect is simply a result of light products, and extremely high heat I also think it has to do with the way it strips the hair of moisture adding to this effect. This tends to work best on on straight hair, somewhat curly hair or hair that has been processed to be in those two hair type categories. When hair is coarser then that you have to be very wary. And honestly, she may just want you to be her guinea pig.....if anything ask to watch her do another kinky haired client and see if you're pleased with her level of skill.

LOL...I still think I am being unclear. To date, I have NO DESIRE to get a Dominican blowout; I really do think it is too much heat for my hair. I am just trying to uncover the "secret" since I have generally been unimpressed. I think you get at it here though: "The light airy "blowing in the wind" effect is simply a result of light products, and extremely high heat I also think it has to do with the way it strips the hair of moisture adding to this effect. "

Back