Spinoff - Naturals Who Press - How Often..

Naturals - how often do you press/flat iron?

• Once a week

Votes: 16 11.2%
  • Every 2 weeks

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • Once a month

Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Rarely - a few times a year

Votes: 79 55.2%

• Total voters

MsKipani

I was just wondering, for all of the naturals who straighten their hair, be it with hot combs, flat irons, etc, how often do you do it?
I try to wait about 2 weeks...I could go longer but my scalp will be bleeding from scratching beyond that!

Every 3-6 months. I don't flatiron at all when the warm weather begins 'til the end of the summer. My hair doesn't stay straight for long as it is, I don't need the added headache of the heat and humidity.

Waiting to wash your hair can be damaging to the scalp. If your scalp is itching go ahead and wash your hair in my opinion. Waiting can only irritate the scalp. I hope you do what's best for you.

I texlax now, but I used to be all natural, I would wash, deep condition and style. I used heat four times a month. My hair does better with a texlax and less heat. I still wash often but now it's every 3-4 days and my scalp loves me for it. My hair is growing and swinging. :grin:

My hair suffered more when I would wait between washes, skip trims and overmanipulate it. Now I wash at the first sign of an itch, self trim when needed and finger comb and style.

Waiting to wash your hair can be damaging to the scalp. If your scalp is itching go ahead and wash your hair in my opinion. Waiting can only irritate the scalp. I hope you do what's best for you.

I texlax now, but I used to be all natural, I would wash, deep condition and style. I used heat four times a month. My hair does better with a texlax and less heat. I still wash often but now it's every 3-4 days and my scalp loves me for it. My hair is growing and swinging. :grin:

My hair suffered more when I would wait between washes, skip trims and overmanipulate it. Now I wash at the first sign of an itch, self trim when needed and finger comb and style.

I agree. Since being on this forum, I've been washing my hair more frequently, but I don't want to use the heat. I'm just learning to embrace my curls and sport a nice curly pony in between straightening

I just got my hair pressed for the first time, in a long time, this past Thursday. My plan is to press my hair out to dust/trim the ends and see the actual length every 3-6 months.

I used to flat iron it weekly, but as my hair gets longer and thicker, I have been doing it about every other week. It's not because of heat damage, it's because I'm getting lazy!:yep: I've also been wearing it curly more often.

I used to flat iron it weekly, but as my hair gets longer and thicker, I have been doing it about every other week. It's not because of heat damage, it's because I'm getting lazy!:yep: I've also been wearing it curly more often.

Uggh...the laziness is a killer! I know exactly how you feel!

I voted once a month. Just enough time to switch it up when I get frustrated/bored with wearing it curly.

I press weekly and never wear my hair in its natural straight. When I first BC'd I wore a nice afro or two strands for at least 9 months but for me it was more work to keep up. I press my hair every wash and leave it alone for the remainder of the week.

so far i've only flat ironed my (whole) head once while natural

(but i washed it out the same day lol)

i'm going to incorporate heat straightening into my regimen in 2008
but i'll only be doing it twice a year

i'm on the fence on whether or not i want to try a hot comb on my hair
the flat iron doesnt seem to do the job i want it to
but i definitely want to be careful.

I heat-straighten my hair as often as I like. I've already straightened it three times this month.

I'm almost APL and my untilmate goal is to be able to straighten it at least 2X per month.

Momi & Balisi & Pinkskates your hair still looks healthy and strong even with the heat styling can you please tell me how you do it?

When I finally get my hair to a certain length I want the whole world to see it, but I don't want to take any backwards steps. (this is the longest and healthiest my hair has been in years)

Last edited:
Almost never. It was flat ironed once this year when I went to the Dominican salon. It not happening again for a looong time. I had to cut off two inches and apologize profusely to my hair who doesn't accept apologies readily . I swear my hair has its own attitude and personality that is different than mine!
Did I say LOOOOOOOONG time?

Much props to the sisters who can straighten and not have it revert at the same time its being straightened!!

I used heat twice this year with a flat iron. I will be incorporating more heat straightening into my regime in 2008.

You should have a "never" or "a few times a decade" option. I have not heat or chemically straightened my hair since I went natural. I am considering getting it roller set for New Year's just for a change of scenery, but I am not sure I will.

I press weekly and never wear my hair in its natural straight. When I first BC'd I wore a nice afro or two strands for at least 9 months but for me it was more work to keep up. I press my hair every wash and leave it alone for the remainder of the week.

As much as I love my new texture, I'm leaning towards being a "once a weeker" myself. I did a rollerset on Thursday night & then I flat ironed on Friday morning with a cheap Gold N Hot ceramic iron. I've been simply oiling my ends at night with a little coconut oil & tying it up via the Sylver method & my hair has stayed bouncy & silky. This is alot less maintenance than when I wear it natural. When I wear it natural, my scalp doesn't feel right unless I co-wash every 2-3 days. I'm thinking that I may continue wearing it straight at least until the summer time. It'll save me a lot of time & a lot of money on products.

As much as I love my new texture, I'm leaning towards being a "once a weeker" myself. I did a rollerset on Thursday night & then I flat ironed on Friday morning with a cheap Gold N Hot ceramic iron. I've been simply oiling my ends at night with a little coconut oil & tying it up via the Sylver method & my hair has stayed bouncy & silky. This is alot less maintenance than when I wear it natural. When I wear it natural, my scalp doesn't feel right unless I co-wash every 2-3 days. I'm thinking that I may continue wearing it straight at least until the summer time. It'll save me a lot of time & a lot of money on products.

Are you afraid you may lose your texture doing this once a week?

maybe 3-4 times a year. i see myself doing it even less as it grows out, :lachen::grin::spinning:, it already takes to long to do.

This is what I want to do but im so lazy I just end up washing after one week of straight hair and bunning for 3 weeks.

I flat-iron just a few times a year...I will not be flat-ironing much this summer, if at all because of the heat and humdity....All that work is not worth it....Plus I work out....I may do it every 3 months though....I used to do it like 2-3 times a year MAX....

every 2 weeks. As my hair grows, wearing it curly actually makes it more dry and is prone to more damage. I've been doing this since October and my hair hasn't lost its curl pattern at all.The stylist I go to doesnt use massive amounts of heat on my hair to get it straight and I still DC the night before I go to her shop to get it styled.

No more than once a week. I don't have a particular schedule for it anymore, but I used to press my hair every two weeks faithfully.

I gotta question with straightening/pressing...how do you get your hair to lay flat when you straighten? I straightened my hair last night/this morning and it's straight but it's still big (horizontal, not vertical), if you know what I mean. I'd like to tame it, but don't want to weight it down necessarily.

TIA!!

Back