SPINOFF-I CANNOT blow dry my natural hair

blkbeauty

I wanted to start a new post on blowdrying natural hair.

Do any naturals blowdry without a comb attached or using a paddle brush? Is this technique damaging? Is it better to use some sort of comb or brush while blowdrying natural hair? If so, why?

I just use a basic hand blowdryer without the comb attached. I part my hair in sections and take the dryer up and down each section until its semi straight then I comb.

I always use the comb attachment when I blow-dry I find that I can get done quicker and my hair won't get tangled like with the brush method. It will be interesting to see what other naturals do. Great post.

I only blow-dry 2/year and I use a paddle brush:
I section my hair in small sections, apply leave-in/heat protectant, and then I let my hair get about 80-85% dry before I "heat" it up...

When I was natural I used cuticle smoothing shampoo and conditioners like Paul Mitchell Silky Straight and I still use Redken Smooth down and it made a huge difference.

Then I blow dried section by section starting at the front because the crown of your head drips water down unto the rest. My hair blow dried the best with a comb attachment and then Maxiglide or Sedu. Always use a light heat protectant.

To me the HOTcomb was more damaging than my ceramic/ionic blow dryer. :yep:

I blow dry it every two weeks or so. I separate my head into three or four sections, and use a vent brush and blow dryer. I like the vent better than the comb attachment because it allows me to control the tension that is being put on the roots so that they can dry straight.

See I figured it was less damaging if I don't use a comb attached or a brush. Idk.

Great replies so far. I agree, it will be interesting to see what other naturals do.

Great post!! I don't actually blow-dry my hair, for now im avoiding pretty much all heat but i plan to start soon so im taking mental notes :)

Check out PinkSkates. She holds her combed out hair taut as she blow dries. I do this too. She has pictures in her fotki that explain.

After I do that I will CAREFULLY paddle brush each blowdried section. Only like 2 or 3 brushes.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Don't know how to blow dry and I don't straighten ever. I was thinking about trying the ponytail rollerset for my birthday in February. A friend will help me rollerset my hair.

My no heat diet expired this month and I have yet to use heat. I just may blow dry my hair this weekend. I would think that a blow dryer with a comb would be damaging, but then again I have 4a/b hair. I will section it of course and blow dry like that using a large tooth comb to seperate every so often. We'll see how that goes.

I wish I knew how to blowdry (my own hair) with a roundbrush/denman. I'm sure I could master it with lots of practice. But I'm not all that willing to practice over and over again and subject my hair to that much heat. It would be great if I could though- this helps tremendously with getting better flat-iron results.

I wish I knew how to blowdry (my own hair) with a roundbrush/denman. I'm sure I could master it with lots of practice. But I'm not all that willing to practice over and over again and subject my hair to that much heat. It would be great if I could though- this helps tremendously with getting better flat-iron results.

I have done it with my roundbrush but I think the bristled are too much. I get best result with my denman or with the comb attachment. Its easier for me with the comb attachment, takes less coordination, LOL>

I seperate my hair in 4 to 6 sections, Its already de tangled from shower. I let it dry for an hour or two. Once its mostly air dried, I put smooth down detangler and smooth dry serum on each section, detangle it futher with the denman. Then I take my blowdryer on medium heat and go through each section till straight and mostly dry. Then I turn the heat up higer and finish it off to get the roots a bit straighter.

This works for me with no hair damage or loss.

When I do Cold blowouts, I part my hair in small sections and I use a paddle brush. Other times I use the wide toothed comb attachment...both work fine and I don't experience any damage from the comb or the brush.

I use the comb if I'm doing it myself because it's easier. At the shop he uses the paddle brush. He always gets it straighter though.

Back