• Yes, I always tip.

Votes: 50 71.4%
  • No, I never tip.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Depends on ... (state what)

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters

chayil0427

I was looking at the prof relaxer price thread and I was wondering who tips there stylist. I tip my stylist and his assistant which adds about 15 to 20 dollars to the price of my relaxer. I usually pay right at $100.

Are you a tipper?

Chayil

I tip my stylist. I dont tip the shampoo assistant...I dont think its that serious, and I am not balling like that

If I go to a place in the mall I'll tip my standard 20%. When I go to my normal stylist I don't tip b/c he's the owner of the salon.

Whimsy said:
I tip. I didn't know not tipping your stylist was a common practice.

Some of my friends dont especially for independant stylist. They are getting paid their money with the fee. I know one of my friends never tips.

I voted No, since I no longer go to a stylist... and even when I did go to a stylist I still didn't tip. Now I recently paid for my mom to go to a beauty school to get her hair done.. and I left the hair stylist who did my mom's hair a tip.

Glamourous said:
Some of my friends dont especially for independant stylist. They are getting paid their money with the fee. I know one of my friends never tips.

No I do not tip stylists. Unlike waitresses/waiters, their salary is not based on tipping.

I think I tipped a stylist once. That was because she does not accept checks. I forgot to bring her cash. She took the check from me anyways so I tipped her for accommodating me.

I chose "It depends" but I tip more than 90% of the time. If I have a problem with what they did (which I seldom do considering I have become vocal about their work). If I feel like I was overcharged, you don't get a tip! Take it outta what you just robbed me for! :lol:

When I was going to the salon, I would tip the shampoo girl. I felt that since my stylist would switch her prices up on me at the drop of a dime, she already included her tip in her price hike.

I dont go to stylists, but the first time I went to one, I tipped and the stylist looked a lil shocked. I realized that tipping wasnt very common there, and the price you are quoted for the service is the price you normally pay. So the next times I went, I didnt tip, I just paid for the service.

When I use to use their services I usually tip the stylist and the wash person. If I choose to visit the stylist again for a wash and set, I'll no longer make this a practice.

I always tip everyone who provides me a service (hairdresser, shampoo/conditioner person, blow dry, etc.) 15-20%.

I voted "always" but when the shampoo chick wets me, is not attentive..NO WAY!! I always tip Jeanette, my main beautician; she is a single mom and going to school to become a dietician..I want to help her rise...too bad she'll rise up out of the salon after a while!!

i put "depends" so let me explain...

i normally tip - even if you don't do a stellar job i will just give you a lower tip as a cue to do better next time. (and believe me, i'll tell you what you did wrong... :lol: ) and i am a generous tipper too. especially if i think you give exceptional service. my recent trim and re-layering... that lady was not only super-friendly, but i believe she has good knowledge of actual hair care, not just styling. i tipped her 35% because:

1) what i just mentioned (friendly, knowledgeable, and LOVED the style), and

2) i want her to remember me as the generous tipper so she will continue to give me exceptional service.

*i've been known to walk out on bad stylists though... shampoo or half a set of rollers still in my hair. so... needless to say, they didn't even get paid, let alone tipped... :lol: (thankfully this was a rare occurance)

Like many I didn't know tipping was common. I usally always gave my former stylist something extra because I would never stop to get change. I guess she was used to it since she's from NY. I once gave a stylist some money and she just flat out didn't give me any change. I was hot. I don't think you should automatically assume someone is tipping unless they say keep the change, etc. I don't go to a salon regularly now but the stylist I go to when I do go was shocked when I tipped her.

No, because usually they always add $20 extra onto whatever I'm getting done because I'm natural and my hair is "below my shoulders".... which is total BS IMO.

When I go to white-ish salons they never charge extra. There's a price adj. of $5 for "highly textured hair or hair containing extensions" already on the services list.

I always tip because, I feel if you take care of them, they will take care of you. I always get good results this way.

If they're in a salon, I'll tip b/c I figure they're only getting a percentage of what I'm paying. But if they're an independant, I don't b/c they get to pick their price.

Guyaneek said:
I chose "It depends" but I tip more than 90% of the time. If I have a problem with what they did (which I seldom do considering I have become vocal about their work). If I feel like I was overcharged, you don't get a tip! Take it outta what you just robbed me for! :lol:

pretty much

curlilocs said:
If I go to a place in the mall I'll tip my standard 20%. When I go to my normal stylist I don't tip b/c he's the owner of the salon.

I pretty much agree with that statement. When I get a color, a major cut, or something like that, I usually go to a large salon that does all types of people. Usually, the price list is set and I pay at a counter on the way out. At those places I always tip the person providing the service.
If I was at a small salon where the stylist set her own prices, I would be less likely to tip (unless I am soooooo impressed with my hair). I usually feel like I overpayed anyway. (Which is why I do my own hair.)
I only go to salons for dry trims now anyway (which is so cheap), so now I usually tip the person who cuts my hair.

Guess I'm a rebellious one, I never tipped. Unless I was late, I may tip, other than that, no way. It's your JOB...a job in which you having money in your pocket to pay your bills and or not does not depend on tips like say a waitress. I feel like if I tip a stylist then I might as well tip every other person I encounter that does something for me, and I would be a broke joker. :look: My "tip" to you is coming to you to get my hair done and recommending others to you--the ultimate tip, IMO.

Last edited:
i tip the shampoo girl and my stylist(the owner) but i tip my stylist about 15% of the service which is usually for a wash,blow and curl. when i get color, i still tip 15% of what the wbc costs because although i LOVE the color i believe its ooooooooverpriced! :grin:

I always tip the young lady that does my relaxer because she always does a excellent job and is friendly, etc. Plus, that is the only time she sees me is every 8-10 weeks, I do everything else myself....I can afford to give her a little extra.

Back