Spin-off: Who is still going to continue to use prods with parabens and other stuff?

Are you tossing the "toxics"

• Yes, I'm not taking any chances with my health

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • No, I will keep using them

Votes: 39 60.9%
  • I would like to, I need more information

Votes: 15 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

*ElleB

With all the information going around about our hair products being "toxic", I see that alot of us are abandoning products with parabens, formaldehyde donors, sulfates, etc. and for good reason.

But are there people on here so feel that they will take their chances. Or better yet, feel that all this is speculation and there is no proof that those ingredients are harmful, that they are just as good, if not better for your hair than natural ones?

I still use products that have parabens in them, I have been using them for years and I have had no problems, it seems like it is something wrong with everything, everything causes health risks, But this is just me, We all just have to be careful with whatever we eat or use on our skin and hair.

My hair is still growing, it is healthy, I have overall good health so I am not complaining at all. I also have used things without parabens like Qhemet Biologics when they first started they had parabens in their products and now they don't because people complained on another haircare site that she belongs to.

I guess this is all a Personal Preference!

NappyParadise said:
I still use products that have parabens in them, I have been using them for years and I have had no problems, it seems like it is something wrong with everything, everything causes health risks, But this is just me, We all just have to be careful with whatever we eat or use on our skin and hair.

My hair is still growing, it is healthy, I have overall good health so I am not complaining at all. I also have used things without parabens like Qhemet Biologics when they first started they had parabens in their products and now they don't because people complained on another haircare site that she belongs to.

Yup, you got that right, tho. Which is why I'm torn about it. But overall, it's something that I want to do, not just in haircare but in life. But I will not be a fanatic, you. If something has a little bit of petroleum in it, I'm not gonna freak! Like you said personal preference....:)

Re: Spin-off: Who is still going to continue to use prods with parabens and other stu

I don't know if this is a good way to look at it but......

Since I am transitioning to natural I feel like I will be putting myself in less danger than if I continue to relax and using these products with relaxed hair. the relaxer is probably more dangerous anyway. Either way I am still putting somewhat harmful products in my head. Although I have been using thses kinds of products for ever and I haven't had any sides effects (knock on wood)

I hear you, we all can improve our overall health but it is also good to know about toxins and stuff and then we can do our own research. But you are correct. I don't want to become a fanatic either or freak out over every little thing.
I did that when I first went natural, I peeked out every
ingredient, from top to bottom made sure it was clean and had natural ingredients that were suppose to be good for your hair. and then I had to go back to old school style and that has worked for me and my hair. so I am gonna keep it like that.

I usually go with whatever works and if it has parabens or etc in it that's fine for me right now-some ingredients can't be avoided. But I do pay some attention to labels just to see if a certain ingredient is even necessary. Like for instance I thought mineral oil was the end all be all...until I started breaking out then I found shea butter. Now I still use mineral oil (it's in some of my regular and dominican conditioners-and it works fine now) but I know now I have alternatives that work just as well. I really am focusing now on improving my health both physically (diet & exercise) & spiritually so I can be in order. But I do think that it is a good practice to analyze the products you buy to see if there are less harsher alternatives. No one else will look after you BUT you.

Last edited:
NappyParadise said:

I totally agree with this. A lot of people think that are using non paraben things make them safe but there are risks from using items without parabens too. Increased risk of bacteria, mold, and other things, which can lead to blindness and even death!

They don't put those parabens in hair products for nothing. You have to be smart about everything, especially products containing milk products, unrefined oils, animal proteins, and a whole nother list of things.

But I can understand how people want to reduce the risk. But EVERYTHING (it seems like) causes cancer. Some scientists say breathing in the wrong location will. And I ain't holding my breath for no one lol:lol: !

I will continue to use whatever I've been using. To tell the truth I've never really even thought about parabens.

MizaniMami said:
I totally agree with this. A lot of people think that are using non paraben things make them safe but there are risks from using items without parabens too. Increased risk of bacteria, mold, and other things, which can lead to blindness and even death!

They don't put those parabens in hair products for nothing. You have to be smart about everything, especially products containing milk products, unrefined oils, animal proteins, and a whole nother list of things.

But I can understand how people want to reduce the risk. But EVERYTHING (it seems like) causes cancer. Some scientists say breathing in the wrong location will. And I ain't holding my breath for no one lol:lol: !

:lol: Thats funni, but I feel ya on that.
But on the other hand, there are ppl on here who have went to their cabinets and thrown almost everything out that contains these ingredients....

*ElleB said:
:lol: Thats funni, but I feel ya on that.
But on the other hand, there are ppl on here who have went to their cabinets and thrown almost everything out that contains these ingredients....
man I wish they would have sent them to me. I would have paid for the postage.:lol:

I am still using products with parabens, but I try to use products with less.

MizaniMami said:

Okaaay! I've used all natural products that got moldy and funky after a few weeks. I couldn't throw that ish away fast enough. I swore I would never buy a product that wasn't properly preserved again!:mad:

I voted I'm tossing them. I'm gradually weaning myself of products w/parabens. If I find out in 30 years that it was a hoax, no biggie. But I'd rather that, than to be diagnosed with breast cancer in 30 years. Not just parabens, but tonight I just made soem homemade deodorant. I'll test it out tomorrow. I'm trying to wean myself of aluminum too. And I was browsing websites about natural makeup. So, whenever I've used up whatever I have in my cabinets now, it will be replaced by natural, paraben-free substitutes.

KhandiB said:
I aint dead or retarded yet :lol:

So Naw :lol:

Hahahha, I hear ya on that one.

I'm still using whatever works. If you think about it, majority of this stuff in the world does some kind of harm to us. Plus, like someone mentioned, I'm too broke to use all natural stuff. I like to experiment.

I'm still faithfully relaxing my hair, so I can't even begin to pretend like I'm deeply worried about products causing me harm. If I let go of anything, I should be giving up the greatest potential hazard of all first. :lol: Then I'd need to stop breathing because of all of this smog polluted cancer causing air I'm taking into my lungs... pollutants are everywhere. Boy I wish I lived in a bubble.:lol:

I try to avoid them as much as possible and stick to products where i dont have to de-code all the ingredients on the label. No knock to anyone who uses them but for some reason, all natural products seemed to signifigantly improve the condition of my hair.

I would like to use paraben free stuff but I cant afford it right now. You wont see immediate effects from all the poisons that we ingest or whatever, but the long term is what I think about. What will be the effect of not just parabens, but ALL the stuff we use and come in contact with by the time we get 50 or 60? There is NO WAY we can get away from toxins, but I'd like to try to decrease them in any way I can. Just my 2 cent.

NappyParadise said:

so, QB's products do not have parabens in them? This is the only reason why I was hestiant to order them, at the advice of my derm, I must stay clear of parbens b/c of my sd. thanks for posting this NP!

tishee said:
so, QB's products do not have parabens in them? This is the only reason why I was hestiant to order them, at the advice of my derm, I must stay clear of parbens b/c of my sd. thanks for posting this NP!

No they don't have them in their products anymore and they still work good for me, but I can't afford to purchase them all the time so I have to keep cheaper things like EQ Mango Butter that works fine even though it has parabens in it and it is at the end.

The only thing I use that has parabens is Elucence MB Shampoo & MB conditioner.

I was on a quest for everything natural....but the shampoo part wasn't working..I like QB Soap of Alep..but I would rather have something to pour rather than a bar...I don't use any products w/ petroleum/mineral oil/proplyene glycol or lanolin, my hair's health has improved significantly....and to me is like a totally different head of hair than I was used to.

I use Aubrey organics GPB & Honeysuckle Rose for deep conditioning
Moisture/shine..... I love the Qhemet Biologics, Asha's, Jane Carter nourish & shine, Oyin greg juice

So I am in that mostly all natural products category...it's definitely a concern of mine

Sistaslick said:
I'm still faithfully relaxing my hair, so I can't even begin to pretend like I'm deeply worried about products causing me harm. If I let go of anything, I should be giving up the greatest potential hazard of all first. :lol: Then I'd need to stop breathing because of all of this smog polluted cancer causing air I'm taking into my lungs... pollutants are everywhere. Boy I wish I lived in a bubble.:lol:

:lol: :lol:
Y'all are too funni in here.
But thats so right.
If I kick the products, I have to kick the relaxers, eat ALL organic food, filter all the water that I eat with, drink with and bathe in, put in air purifiers all over the house, and take an air tank with me every where I go....Dang, wat else, Oh no cell phones, loud noises, move to the middle of nowhere, become a recluse, no TV, no computers. LOL, ppl say ALL these things have harmful affects on our health....

However, i don't mind doing most of these things, to the best of my ability and health. If you can cut out some of it, its better than inundating(sp?) your body with bad stuff. We don't have to turn into fanatics, hell, Lord knows I cant live with out my TV! and my Taco Bell

Last edited:
NappyParadise said:
No they don't have them in their products anymore and they still work good for me, but I can't afford to purchase them all the time so I have to keep cheaper things like EQ Mango Butter that works fine even though it has parabens in it and it is at the end.

really, I was looking into getting the honeybush tea gel & the herbal henna oil. Based on the review from bellaonline I want those two & the olive & honey.....and none of them have parbens? wow, thanks for posting this nappyparadise. btw have you gotten your acjazz spritz,yet?

Re: Spin-off: Who is still going to continue to use prods with parabens and other stu

I decided to take a different route... I threw out all of my household cleaners and pesticides. We're planning to replace the carpet with hardwood. I use natural skin lotions, toothpaste, deodorant, eat mostly organic fruit, and only eat free-range hormone-free chicken and eggs. That's all I'm doing. I have 2 conditioners that are organic. One I use as a conditioner. The other I use as a shampoo.

Nobody's taking my humecto or nexxus! Nobody. :look: I'm being cautious but I won't live my life in fear.

Last edited:
MizaniMami said:

Excellent points!

tishee said:
really, I was looking into getting the honeybush tea gel & the herbal henna oil. Based on the review from bellaonline I want those two & the olive & honey.....and none of them have parbens? wow, thanks for posting this nappyparadise.

Ooo girl, you'll love them! She lists the products that don't contain parabens on the faq page on her site so it looks like only the honeybush gel has them whereas the other products do not.

Back