Spin Off: Silicone Free Heat Protectants???

HoneyDew

Since one of my Summer 06 to-buys is a silicone free heat protectant, I thought I'd ask for some ideas.

Does anyone know of any? What have been your experiences?

The 2 that I have found online but never tried are

Fhi Hot Sauce (www.fhiheat.com)
and
Sedu Shine Therapy.

Do you guys know of any? I searched the forum but nothing has come up.

I must say, though, I am concerned that if Silicone is not in there, what really is protecting my hair? :confused:

Oooo, these look good. As soon as I am off my heat free challenge, I think I will try the Fhi Hot Sauce. Thanks for posting.

HoneyDew said:
Since one of my Summer 06 to-buys is a silicone free heat protectant, I thought I'd ask for some ideas.

Does anyone know of any? What have been your experiences?

The 2 that I have found online but never tried are

Fhi Hot Sauce (www.fhiheat.com)
and
Sedu Shine Therapy.

Do you guys know of any? I searched the forum but nothing has come up.

I must say, though, I am concerned that if Silicone is not in there, what really is protecting my hair? :confused:

Your right, nothing. When I am looking for a heat protectant I look for cones and protein. Proteins keeps the hair strong while it is being under the heat stress and cones seal the hair.

What's the point of a heat protectant without silicones? Seriously.

secretdiamond said:
What happened HoneyDew? I thought you were the biggest fans of cones.

I am. I am addicted to them. I don't feel like I can use heat without them. But, they do seem to coat my hair too much at times and sometimes it is just to much on my hair when I add moisturizers.

I just want to find something that coats my hair a little less and still allows me to apply my moisturizers w/o too much buildup.

I have to thin Silken Seal out before using it (I add a little cyclomethicone), but I wish that it had some other ingredients. I think Redken Heat Glide and the Fantasia Ic in the pink bottle have a good balance so far.

But, honestly, I skip putting moisturizer on my hair some days (mostly a day or two after shampooing) because my hair has silicone on it.

Just researching options with an open mind.

oh okay I understand. I asked because I remember all the wonderful research
posted in your siggy about cones and how you made your own.

I can see what you mean about the moisture thing though. And researching with an open mind is a great thing because that's how new discoveries are made. There could actually be a good, useful heat protectant out there that uses another ingredient to substitute for the cones. & That would be great for all the people who avoid them.

So if you find something let me know. ;)

secretdiamond said:
oh okay I understand. I asked because I remember all the wonderful research
posted in your siggy about cones and how you made your own.

I can see what you mean about the moisture thing though. And researching with an open mind is a great thing because that's how new discoveries are made. There could actually be a good, useful heat protectant out there that uses another ingredient to substitute for the cones. & That would be great for all the people who avoid them.

So if you find something let me know. ;)

I will! I want to try one eventually. Or even if it does have cones, maybe something moisturizing, too.

I have some samples of the the Fantasia Frizz free cream, which seems to be moisturizing, but it is way too sticky for me to use all the time. Maybe I was putting too much on, I may revisit it.

But last night after I shampooed and flatironed with my Redken heat glide, I wonder why I ever would want to change my routine. I love it.

:fallenang It's like this little angel is on my shoulder reminding me that I need to concentrate on more moisture.

That sounds like an oxy-moron "silicone-free heat protectant"! PLEASE share if you find such a product that really works. I did exhaustive research on 'cones and heat protectant and concluded that 'cones are needed if you want "maximum" protection. Sure, ingredients like panthenol, jojoba, phytantriol (panthenol + phytantriol is an awesome, silicone free heat protecting combination, but it doesn't work half as well as if 'cones are added to the mixture) in other words, 'cone free heat protectant are better than nothing, but they don't do the "heavy heat protecting" that 'cones do. Maybe technology will come up with something one of these days . . .

I have done research too and while they protect from heat, I am afraid that my hair is unable to absorb moisture on the days between shampoos.

The leave in applied before the heat protectant has been good and moisturizes for a few days, but on the 2nd day or so, especially when there is crazy new growth, Silicone based serums seem to preventing my hair from getting needed moisture on the days following.

Maybe I am just using too much.

All I know is that I need a good balance of moisture and silicone for protection.

I thought that Fantasia cream would be good, it has silicone, but it was kind of yucky.

Anyway, this is going to one of those trial and error things for me. I am just thankful for my leave-in at this point!

Thank you girl! You just made my day!!

I'm giving away a bunch of store products, because I decided to use all natural products. Now, I can give away my heat protectants!!

I really hope that some do exist. Love that my grapeseed oil qualifies!
Does SAA protect from heat damage?

Nubian Heritage has silicone free heat protectants in it's line. It has a spray, a foam and a cream. They can be purchased at Walgreen. I purchased them but I have not straightened my hair since I purchased them, so can't give a review.

I just did an hour search for silicone free heat protectants.

HoneyDew I find that Hydratherma Naturals Gloss Heat Protectant spray is silicone free kinda. It contains dimethiconal (sp?) the difference between:

conal (water soluble) and cone (is not).

The dim????conal is light and washes out easily.

I just did an hour search for silicone free heat protectants.

HoneyDew I find that Hydratherma Naturals Gloss Heat Protectant spray is silicone free kinda. It contains dimethiconal (sp?) the difference between:

conal (water soluble) and cone (is not).

The dim????conal is light and washes out easily.

TheEspressoHair I didn't know the bolded. I'm going to check my products to see if I've been avoiding stuff that will wash off w/o clarifying for no reason.

Where did you learn that? So, I can go read up on conal vs. cone.

Back