Spin-Off:Longer Hair=Easier Hair Care

SvelteVelvet

This is a spin from the "Who doesn't want hair longer than BSL?" I noticed alot of ladies responses were they don't want it any longer because they feel it would be harder to manage.

I feel just the opposite.

I used to say BSL was my ultimate goal. Now that I'm there I want MBL/WSL. As my hair has gotten longer it has gotten easier for me to not apply any heat to my head and damage my hair. I have more "natural" styling versatility that doesn't have to involve damaging activities for the sake of it looking good. Therefore, I feel I'm able to maintain it's health better and easier as it gets longer.

When my hair was SL I felt the only way for it to look polished was to blow dry, rollerset under the dryer and/or flat iron, and wrap my hair every night. Even if I consciously tried to put my hair on a heat diet and do braid outs or bantus or bun it, it wouldn't last long. At the length it was at the desire to see my hair bone straight would over power me.

Nowadays I can airdry, apply moisturizer, seal it, braid it up or twist it up at night and the next morning I can actually style my hair in a way that it looks 'done'. I'm even more content with wearing a bun than I used to be, because of how it's so big I can see it from the front and it's all mine. I've gone weeks and weeks without blowdrying and flatironing my hair and I don't miss it and I can tell my hair is thanking me. Even from not wrapping at night, it seems to be thriving better, especially the edges around my hairline.

I'm on a relaxer stretch now and I plan touch up every three months thereafter, this will be the only time I will allow my hair to be straightened. But for in between those visits, I know I'll be just fine not using any heat and I'll be looking good doing it. So this length can keep on coming, because for me, it = overall healthier hair.

For ladies MBL and beyond do you agree?

For ladies who say they don't want hair longer than BSL, does this idea change your perspective?

I am not BSL or even APL yet, but I would think it would be easier to take care of longer hair because by then you would know what works for you and what doesn't.

I would think that protective styling is easier at BSL and beyond. But I would imagine that at that length natuarl hair is tough to manage. I fully intend to find out. Let me subscibe to this thread so I can report back in a year or 2.

I agree.....I think some of the ladies don't want to wash their hair longer, I think that's the big problem....I was washing my hair the other day, and I said to myself....I can handle waist length hair....IMO, longer hair is easier because all you can do it keep it simple, it's long so what's much you can do? Your braidouts will look better because your hair is longer, your bantu knots will look fuller, you can ponytail, bun without using ponytail holders, you can cornrow without weave...and you don't need heat......it's so much you can do with longer hair.....I'm a simple person, so braidouts and ponytails are my hair styles....I think women are worried about the relaxer(if they relax) with so much hair and washing... the easy part, IMO is styling it, I would love waist length or tailbone, bsl would be long to me, because I'm short, but if I grow to bsl, might as well grow to tailbone, it's not that far from bsl....I'm trying to grow my hair to waist length, and then tailbone and keep it at tailbone...I like this topic...I always thought longer hair was easier, my aunt is a stylist and she says the same thing about longer hair....anything that's apl or shorter=too much styling and too much bothering the hair.....IMO...

Last edited:
As it gets longer, it is easier to do protective styles and stretch relaxers longer. It's more difficult to manipulate or do rollersets.

I think that as my hair got longer it definitely got easier for me to style it. I can do an updo without combing and it looks good instantly. I can leave it out and it looks good. When my hair was shorter it would drive me nuts because I couldn't figure out how to style it. The only style that looked good on me was an above the shoulder blunt cut. That's the only one I could stand anyway. Now I just style it anyway, it looks good and I'm out the door. Most of the time I bun now anyway (to achieve my hair goals) so that's even easier. The buns are thick and they look good too.

Last edited:
I'm BSL working towards mid back right now.

Long hair pro: i know what works for me, i can always put in a bun when lazy

Long hair con: i'm often lazy

I feel it would be easier for me. It takes too long to do anything to my hair because it's so short, I can't it put it in large sections. Putting my hair in 4 twists impossible because my hair can't reach that far.

There are a lot of hairstyles that take too much work to achieve on short hair, and they sometimes do not come out looking right.

Longer hair is easier to take care of because you can just throw it in a ponytail and go vs short hair you have to style it in some way to make it look like something.

I could not imagine my hair being shorter than bsl and trying to style it. I find it easier to deal with at mbl and beyond. I don't think I will be growing it past wl because it is too thick and I am too lazy.

I'm going for WL. Once I get there and enjoy it a bit, I'll probably cut it back to BSL.
I like to rollerset and the longer it gets, the more difficult rollersetting is. WL might be too much for me (of course, once I get there, my feelings will probably change and I won't cut).

I was just about to post a thread asking this question because it really does seem like regimes and styling changes with length...

:yep: And it SHOULD! What you did to manage your hair at SL should be altered as you reach longer lengths. I think that's part of where setbacks come in, sticking to routines that were great for your short hair but could be damaging to your long hair. I'm glad I realized this.

Longer hair will be easier for me. When my hair gets longer I won't have to spend so much time trying to style it.I'll just airdry it and throw it in a ponytail. Can't do that with my hair now. Also, the reason why I don't wear buns and other protective styles is because I think my hair is too short and I'll look like a boy with my hair pulled back. Longer hair will give me more options.

I'm going for WL. Once I get there and enjoy it a bit, I'll probably cut it back to BSL.
I like to rollerset and the longer it gets, the more difficult rollersetting is. WL might be too much for me (of course, once I get there, my feelings will probably change and I won't cut).

You look like you can reach that by the end of this year! Keep us posted about your decision. Thinking about it, I DO have a limit, I don't see myself wanting tailbone :nono: I won't like that for me. I'll definately maintain waist length though.

Yes, I agree!

I love doing my hair, now that it's MBL. It can look good without heat, which is a definate plus for me. I have so many styling options that don't require a lot of time or effort, whether it be a twistout or a quick updo. I just don't have "bad hair days" anymore.

My ultimate goal is HBL...and I look forward to it.:yep:

I agree,it gets a lot easier in regards to not using heat and styling my hair into its usual style a bun not alot of manipulation its all good.:grin: im at midback looking forward to waist length.

Yes and no. I've been almost MBL before I chopped off to above shoulder. It was easier to throw my long hair back into a ponytail, but I was thoroughly over my hair and sick of putting ANY effort into it. My hair is extra tangly even with a relaxer and it takes longer than overnight to dry in rollers (very very thick).

Now that I'm growing it back, I am learning to better appreciate and care for it. I no longer care about wearing it out and curly or straight every day, so I believe I am developing the skills and styles base to keep it looking good with minimum effort (i.e. cowashes and beautiful protective styles).

I have had my hair shaved before and THAT is work. Short relaxed hair requires a lot of heat styling and visits to the barber to keep it shaped. No thank you. :nono: I am down to 3 relaxers a year and I plan to keep it that way, unless I ever transition.

The longer my hair gets the easier it is to do cute quick styles like braidouts, twistouts, bantu knots, etc. Not to mention, if it doesn't turn out right I can just bun it.

Back when my hair was shorter, I felt like it either had to be in a wrap or gelled to death in a weave ponytail.

Rollersets are easier on medium length hair, though.

I'm going with "yes and no" too. I need my hair long enough to pull back without having to use clips to hold the front (I dealt with that after the big chop). So in that sense longer is better.
BUT
I was on a WSL journey and bailed around MBL because my natural hair is a pain at that length (too much work to manage the tangling). Probably would be totally different if it were straight at that length. I'm currently trying wearing my hair straight for a while. If this goes well I might let it grow out and see what happens...or I may get lazy again :lol:

i'm only nearing APL and it's getting harder for me to detangle and manage my WNGs overnight without doing something to them. i have also heard it's a pain to rollerset when your hair is longer than your reach...i assume that's why a lot of naturals who are BSL+ bun (or at least from what i've seen).

I have always thought that shorter hair was more work. I have never had long hair but I can't wait until I can just whip it into a quick ponytail/bun that actually LOOKS good.

I think it depends. there is nothing in the world that is easier than a TWA, and the shorter the TWA is, the easier it is. And I know that for a solid fact. :grin: Short relaxed/straightened hair is a pain, if I do say so myself. That's one thing I can say with certainty that I will never do again.

I guess long natural 4b hair.. you can easily put it in some big braids or twists and wear it as a style, that's one good thing. No-effort puffs too, hmm... :look: But the washing and detangling... and making smaller twists and stuff... can you say marathon sessions? :look:

I wouldn't say its easier to take care of from a health standpoint. When you have short hair shoulder length or shorter you can blow dry, relax, perm, color, bleach, etc; whatever you want to your hair b/c you keep it short an dprobably get it cut pretty often so that damage isn't really an issue.

You cannot do those same things with long hair. The longer your hair is the older it is and that means that it needs alot more care than.

In terms of styling shorter lengths esp those that cannot be put into ponytails are more high maintinece and must b/ styled some kind of way to look presentable.. . esp women who have curly kinky hair and wear really close, tapered short cuts. In terms of health long hair is more fragile since its older and much be handled with the upmost care to continue to thrive.

I wouldn't say its easier to take care of from a health standpoint. When you have short hair shoulder length or shorter you can blow dry, relax, perm, color, bleach, etc; whatever you want to your hair b/c you keep it short an dprobably get it cut pretty often so that damage isn't really an issue.

I think you've missed the point. What you described is someone who wants to maintain their short length and that is a whole different ball game. For most of us who want to grow long hair, yes it is an issue. I for one don't want to feel like I have to do all those things you mentioned to my hair for the sake of looking polished. Having longer hair will help me not need to do those things which would damage my hair...therefore, it will stay healthier and minimize or eliminate completely the need to cut often.

You cannot do those same things with long hair. The longer your hair is the older it is and that means that it needs alot more care than..

And this is a bad thing? Rather than cannot do, I see it as I don't have to and for me that's FABULOUS news!! That alot more care you mention is not alot at all. The idea is to use less styling tools, use less heat and less manipulation so how does that equal to more or harder? It's really developing a K.I.S.S. regimen which is a whole lot less that is required to maintain a shorter style.

In terms of styling shorter lengths esp those that cannot be put into ponytails are more high maintinece and must b/ styled some kind of way to look presentable.. . esp women who have curly kinky hair and wear really close, tapered short cuts. In terms of health long hair is more fragile since its older and much be handled with the upmost care to continue to thrive.

That utmost care doesn't require addition to manipulation it requires refraining from certain manipulations and altering how you do the things you need to do such as washing/conditioning moisturizing setting and styling which will equal healthy thriving hair at long lengths. No one HAS to use heat on their hair, dye their hair etc. If it's more important to a person to do those things than grow long hair than yes it would be harder for them, but by their OWN admission. Therefore your agreeance with easier or not is relative to you. It may seem like a chore to you to have to handle your hair like lace, myself and many ladies who are already where I want to be and agree that it's easier, see it as freedom.

It's all about how you look at it. Never underestimate the power of perception.

As far as being natural meaning unrelaxed and trying to grow my hair to waist? :nono: Ain't no way in H E double hockey sticks, not with my texture. If I had a choice between only natural and WSL or relaxed and SL, I'd choose the latter.

I think it depends. there is nothing in the world that is easier than a TWA, and the shorter the TWA is, the easier it is. And I know that for a solid fact. :grin: Short relaxed/straightened hair is a pain, if I do say so myself. That's one thing I can say with certainty that I will never do again.

I guess long natural 4b hair.. you can easily put it in some big braids or twists and wear it as a style, that's one good thing. No-effort puffs too, hmm... :look: But the washing and detangling... and making smaller twists and stuff... can you say marathon sessions? :look:

:yep:I agree with the bolded. This thread isn't about the EASIEST if it was the TWA gets the award hands down. Because I am a relaxed head, it was more of a question to relaxed ladies which I probably should have specified in my OP. With naturals I believe it is the TOTAL opposite, the shorter the hair the EASIER to maintain.

Back