spin-off, Deep Conditioning Frequency

How often do you DC (product specifically for DCing)

• Never

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 1-2 times per week

Votes: 109 83.2%
  • 3-5 times per week

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Daily

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other--please explain

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spacetygrss

So, now that it's apparent from a recent thread that we definitely were NOT all on the same page when discussing deep conditioning I want to find out how often people are deep conditioning with some different guidelines.:grin:

For the purposes of this thread, deep conditioning ONLY refers to using products which are made for that purpose, i.e. it says it in the name or the instructions make it clear that that is the purpose (for instance "leave on for 10-15+ minutes" with or without heat).

-Cheapie instant conditioners left on for long periods of time does not count. -Food items found in your kitchen do not count.

Please list the name of the product(s) that you use. :yep:

i've been using Pantene Breakage Defense Mask w/ heat for an hour, 2-3x a week and sometimes protein via ORS Hair Mayo. Just got my Hairveda Stirinillah in the mail so i'll be trying this out too.

I deep condition after any wash in which I have used shampoo. I use alot of WEN products now so on those days I just let it sit until I feel like rinsing out.

My deep conditioning products include TIGI dumb blond reconstructor, ORS replenishing, Kenra MC, Pantene relaxed and natural mask and recently, I have been trying out MOP extreme moisture treatment. I leave them on for atleast 15 minutes with or without heat depending on how I feel. The TIGI works well for me when I leave it on for 15-20 minutes and the ORS works well when I use heat for atleast 15 minutes. The Kenra and the Pantene usually get to chill out on my head for atleast 20 minutes, usually 30 or more since I try to watch a tv show or study while I wait.

I guess my Aveda Damage Remedy treatment doesn't count since it only says to leave on for 5 minutes? Same for my NTM Hair mask, 3-5 minutes it says, but it is called "deep recovery". If those don't count, pretty much never. Maybe a handful of times in my life, so for the purposes of that poll, I'm going to have to call that "never".

Before my quest for WL it would be "whenever". AT times I would go a month without DC or for a period of time I would be DC every week.

Now I DC 1x a week.

I have used everything from drugstore/bss DC's (ORS, motions, pantene R&N, nature thereapy...) to expensive salon quality DC's (kerastase, pureology, Paul mitchell, Redken, TIGI..).

I wanna to try Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm but I am looking for a rich thick creamy DC, without cones or water soluble cones (I don't wash my hair with SLS poos anymore) and the only one I know of is Aveda DR; which I will try next.

Before my quest for WL it would be "whenever". AT times I would go a month without DC or for a period of time I would be DC every week.

Now I DC 1x a week.

I have used everything from drugstore/bss DC's (ORS, motions, pantene R&N, nature thereapy...) to expensive salon quality DC's (kerastase, pureology, Paul mitchell, Redken, TIGI..).

I wanna to try Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm but I am looking for a rich thick creamy DC, without cones or water soluble cones (I don't wash my hair with SLS poos anymore) and the only one I know of is Aveda DR; which I will try next.
You can try Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle and rose or white camellia.

I would have to say never because my regimen is almost all natural products (as in, I can eat most of the things I put in my hair).

Why wouldn't food items count? Before using chemicals, people had to use something to condition their hair. And, it seems like people love all the ORS mayo and other mayo deep conditioners...so why wouldn't real mayo be considered a deep conditioner? Or, Etae makes a caramel treatment that's considered a DC but you can make the same exact thing at home with products you buy from the grocery store, shouldn't that count?

sorry. rant over.

For the purposes of this thread, deep conditioning ONLY refers to using products which are made for that purpose, i.e. it says it in the name or the instructions make it clear that that is the purpose (for instance "leave on for 10-15+ minutes" with or without heat).
I guess my Aveda Damage Remedy treatment doesn't count since it only says to leave on for 5 minutes? Same for my NTM Hair mask, 3-5 minutes it says, but it is called "deep recovery". If those don't count, pretty much never. Maybe a handful of times in my life, so for the purposes of that poll, I'm going to have to call that "never".

Ok so I just want to add that this is a HUGE huge misconception that I have seen posted on this site. the VAST VAST majority of Deep Conditioners and treatments, do NOT instruct leaving the product on for 10-15+. The directions on most DC's suggest a leave in time of 2-5 mins or longer.

Usually if the directions tell you to LEAVE the product on for a certain amount of time then it is a treatment.

mwedzi the Aveda DR is most definitely a deep treatment :yep:

Last edited:
Right now I use ORS Mayo or Pantene R&N Mask. I let it sit for at least 20 minutes, with or without heat...usually it's with heat either under the dryer or an electic heating cap.

Ok so I just want to add that this is a HUGE huge misconception that I have seen posted on this site. the VAST VAST majority of Deep Conditioners and treatments, do NOT instruct leaving the product on for 10-15+. The directions on most DC's suggest a leave in time of 2-5 mins or longer.

Usually if the directions tell you to LEAVE the product on for a certain amount of time then it is a treatment.

mwedzi the Aveda DR is most definitely a deep treatment :yep:

Okay, thanks. In that case, I DC on average once every 2 weeks. :yep: Now I guess I'm "other".

You can try Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle and rose or white camellia.
Hi, thanks gymfreak. I use the AO as a regular conditioner and I know the dirctions state that it can be used as a DC if left on the hair, but by looking at the ingredients, I fail to see how it can be used as a DC :ohwell: I dunno I am kinda suspicious.

Hi, thanks gymfreak. I use the AO as a regular conditioner and I know the dirctions state that it can be used as a DC if left on the hair, but by looking at the ingredients, I fail to see how it can be used as a DC :ohwell: I dunno I am kinda suspicious.

Maybe someone can send you a sample of it. Personally, the HSR or WC left on my hair for 15-20 minutes especially with heat leaves me with great moisture. They might even have sample sized packets on their website.

Maybe someone can send you a sample of it. Personally, the HSR or WC left on my hair for 15-20 minutes especially with heat leaves me with great moisture. They might even have sample sized packets on their website.

:cowgirl: to Aubrey's website!! :lachen:

Oh yea I know. I do use it but only as a regular conditioner and I lurve the soft moisturized hair it gives me but I'm not sure whether it is able to deep condition (as in penetrate the hair follicles). Otherwise it is one of the best natural conditioners out there :lick:

i use a number of things. hairveda sitrinilla, hydratherma moisture boosting deep conditioner, shescent it banana brulee and fortifying mask.

:cowgirl: to Aubrey's website!! :lachen:

Booo. They don't send out free samples anymore. *sigh* There is a spot not that far from my house that sells them, though. :scratchch I might have to make a stop there.

Just to be clear, something doesn't HAVE to have instructions saying "leave on for 10-15 minutes" to be considered as a deep conditioner. This was an EXAMPLE of some typical instructions found on deep conditioners.

Second, I'm not counting food items in this poll because I personally want to see how often people are using products that are marketed as deep conditioners. I typically do a true DC twice a week (using the definitions that I laid out) but I'm tempted to do it more often so I'm basically seeing how often other people do it [safely].

Thanks for the responses ladies. Keep 'em coming!

I guess my Aveda Damage Remedy treatment doesn't count since it only says to leave on for 5 minutes?
OT- How do you find the Aveda DR? Is it rich and creamy? Does it have any slip? I really really want to try it.

I DC once or twice a week, I use ORS replenishing, Africa's best DC, or garnier fructis 3 min mask. I only do it to maintain softness of my hair, i dont think it will help my hair grow, coz my hair was much longer when i never DCed, just used to keep my hair moisturized back then.

Oh yea I know. I do use it but only as a regular conditioner and I lurve the soft moisturized hair it gives me but I'm not sure whether it is able to deep condition (as in penetrate the hair follicles). Otherwise it is one of the best natural conditioners out there :lick:

My bad. I miss read your post. I thought you said you haven't tried it before. I'll look at my stash tonight to see if there is anything that meets your standards in my stash.

I use the following conditioners:

KeraCare - Moisturizing Conditioner for Color Treated Hair
KeraCare - Humecto conditioner

I put a plastic cap on and sit under the dryer for 15-25 minutes.

OT- How do you find the Aveda DR? Is it rich and creamy? Does it have any slip? I really really want to try it.

I like it a lot. I repurchased today and it currently is the only product I have that I would pay that kind of money for. I don't use it for detangling, so I don't know about slip. I can only tell you how it feels in between my fingers in terms of slipperiness, in which case I'm going to say more slippery than my V05 or Aubrey Organics HSR, less slippery than the HE Long Term Relationship (which, btw, i don't use for detangling either cuz it just hit me that cones make my hair coil up more and thus harder to detangle). It is a thick cream, but not as thick as the AO HSR, but more slippery. But most importantly, for me it does what it says, which is to make my hair stronger. Also, in some way I haven't fully grasped, my hair feels nicer after using it. But I'm going to have to make sure it is really this product doing that. YMMV, no promises!

Right now I am using Shescentit's Banana Brulee Deep Conditioner with heat for 30 minutes once a week.

I like it a lot. I repurchased today and it currently is the only product I have that I would pay that kind of money for. I don't use it for detangling, so I don't know about slip. I can only tell you how it feels in between my fingers in terms of slipperiness, in which case I'm going to say more slippery than my V05 or Aubrey Organics HSR, less slippery than the HE Long Term Relationship (which, btw, i don't use for detangling either cuz it just hit me that cones make my hair coil up more and thus harder to detangle). It is a thick cream, but not as thick as the AO HSR, but more slippery. But most importantly, for me it does what it says, which is to make my hair stronger. Also, in some way I haven't fully grasped, my hair feels nicer after using it. But I'm going to have to make sure it is really this product doing that. YMMV, no promises!

:lick: You make the Aveda DR sound so YUMMY. Does it have cones in it? :look:

I DC 2x/week. Depends on how I feel or what I pick up, but I usually DC with Pantene R&N Mask, Kenra MC, Silk Elements, Banana Brulee and others

Back