Spill the beans...What has knocked your socks off this year?

Most are the same as last year, just used in different ways:

Shea butter. Whipped with minimal to no oils. I'm finding 1 pound of butter to 2 ounces of oil works really well.

Using 4 ounces of the whipped Shea butter mentioned above and mixing it in with 12 ounces of conditioner. Makes an awesome deep conditioner, moisturizer and detangler.

Ayurvedic Powders:
Henna (1 box of Jamila mixed with a can of coconut milk)
Indigo mixed with room temperature aloe Vera juice and salt

Fenugreek oil (DIY infused in avocado oil for 6 weeks...slip central)

Herbs:
Scalp: Rosemary
Body: Calendula
Face: Rosehips

Shampoo bars

All just uber perfection for my hair. Now I can move on to experiment in other areas. LOL

1. Shea Moisture hipo mask as a pre-detangler (i.e. softener and initial finger and rake -detangling aid). I falsely imagine that I dread doing my hair because I keep forgetting how QUICK and EASY this stuff makes it for me to prep my hair for cleansing and styling. I mean, it literally removes all reason to feel dread for wash day. I neeeeeeeed to remember this. Lol.
  2. Bronner Brothers Firm Hold Curling Gel: Where have you been all my life?!????? HOLY GRAIL. I adoooooore my wng hair if I apply it to soaking wet hair that contains just a little left-in DevaCurl Decadence One Condition, let it completely dry without touching my hair at all, and then tension blow dry the wng for elongation.
  3. Allowing my twists to dry under a wig before I wear the twist out. This eliminates time pressure.
  4. Texture ID Foam (from Sally's)
  5. Jakeala Shea Amla Hair Parfait in peach scenting :drool:
  6. Soultanicals ayurvedic poo bar (discontinued, I think): detangles, strengthens, and cleanses
  7. DevaCurl Decadence One Condition: DCs quickly and defines my curls like nothing else. I love the scent. If I could only have one product, this is it because I can cowash, condition, and "style" with this (puff only) and use nothing else.

How are you infusing the oil? Are you putting it by a window?

I am waiting for some neem powder, brahmi powder, alma, aloe Vera powder to be delivered. I will start an infusion then.

@NicWhite Hey Sis! I do all my oil infusions this way.

Use a 1 to 4 ratio of herbs to oils, and add to Mason jar.

Place the jar on top of my wax melt warmer for a few days, and then I store it in the top of my closet until I'm ready to use.

20180226_140744.jpg

When I am ready, I just pour a little off at a time (including a small amount of the seeds) and leave the rest in the mason jar for an ongoing continuous infusion.

20180226_135041-1291x1494.jpg

I've tried this infusion method with many oils and I find Ceramide rich oils work best (rice bran, Grapeseed or Safflower) as well as Olive oil. They seem to accept herbal infusions really well and they are long lasting. I used avocado oil for this one and it worked well too, but avocado oil doesn't have a long shelf life after its been opened so I'd caution against using it unless you plan on using the infusion up within 4 to 6 months.

HTH

@NicWhite Hey Sis! I do all my oil infusions this way.

Use a 1 to 4 ratio of herbs to oils, and add to Mason jar.

Place the jar on top of my wax melt warmer for a few days, and then I store it in the top of my closet until I'm ready to use.

View attachment 425565

When I am ready, I just pour a little off at a time (including a small amount of the seeds) and leave the rest in the mason jar for an ongoing continuous infusion.

View attachment 425559

I've tried this infusion method with many oils and I find Ceramide rich oils work best (rice bran, Grapeseed or Safflower) as well as Olive oil. They seem to accept herbal infusions really well and they are long lasting. I used avocado oil for this one and it worked well too, but avocado oil doesn't have a long shelf life after its been opened so I'd caution against using it unless you plan on using the infusion up within 4 to 6 months.

HTH

Thanks for this!!! I will use olive oil. I plan to put mine in the cupboard that is right above my water distiller. It runs throughout the day and part of the night everyday and will provide a warm dark environment for infusion.

Last edited:
Leaving my hair stretched and ALONE.
For 2018, so far I've been washing every 4-6 weeks (CRAZYYY) and just oiling periodically during the week with hair trigger.
I've also een moisturizing 1-2xs a week with Mielle Organics Avocado moisturizer and on moisture day I grease my scalp.

Mizani 25 miracle milk. I was in ulta an thought it was on sale for 1o dollars. It was 18, but I still bought it. You can find it cheaper online. I’m wigging it. But I make sure to show my hair lots of love weekly. Even if I don’t wash it, I take my braids down. Brush out the shed hairs, massage my scalp, etc. this spray keeps my hair moisturized ALL WEEK! In fact, is so rich, it could probably dilute it a bit. I love it. I would definitely recommend this for protective styling. It is luxurious.

This year is the year of the curls for me - I finally shoved aside my heat tools, said good bye to my thin and limp flat-ironed hair, and took the time to figure out what products worked for me.

In some cases, I was surprised, but I'm still discovering things. My favorites?

QUA Organic Hair Care on Etsy - A little pricey, but very simple organic ingredients and long lasting. I use both the shampoos and the conditioners, as well as basically everything else she sells! I make my own leave in by taking a tiny chunk of a conditioner bar, letting it dissolve in water, and adding some vegetable glycerin. My hair stays moisturized for so much longer and I can stretch out my washes.

TGIN Green Tea Moisture Conditioner - Literally the only leave in (besides the aforementioned one) that my hair likes. And still, it likes the above one even better. I find that for my hair, less = more when it comes to ingredients.

Sunflower oil - Surprising. When I realized coconut oil literally kills my hair (seriously? took 8 years natural to figure this out?) I finally went to sunflower oil. I use it to seal, and add jasmine EO for fragrance. It never gets greasy on me and with this and the first conditioner, I can stretch my washes.

Shea Moisture ACV - Black Castor Oil Shampoo - I started doing no poo and it killed me. I was a sulfate junkie. This shampoo saved me from crawling back to sulfates.

Raw Sugar Hair Mask - Avocado + Banana Oil - Try finding a DC with no coconut oil in it. Also, I just love this. 10/10.

Olive Oil Ecostyler - I tried to do the flaxseed thing for awhile, but after cutting my hair back up to my shoulders there was no way to do a bun with all of the short strands. Back to ECO until I can miraculously grow my hair back.... *sigh*

This year is the year of the curls for me - I finally shoved aside my heat tools, said good bye to my thin and limp flat-ironed hair, and took the time to figure out what products worked for me.

In some cases, I was surprised, but I'm still discovering things. My favorites?

QUA Organic Hair Care on Etsy - A little pricey, but very simple organic ingredients and long lasting. I use both the shampoos and the conditioners, as well as basically everything else she sells! I make my own leave in by taking a tiny chunk of a conditioner bar, letting it dissolve in water, and adding some vegetable glycerin. My hair stays moisturized for so much longer and I can stretch out my washes.

TGIN Green Tea Moisture Conditioner - Literally the only leave in (besides the aforementioned one) that my hair likes. And still, it likes the above one even better. I find that for my hair, less = more when it comes to ingredients.

Sunflower oil - Surprising. When I realized coconut oil literally kills my hair (seriously? took 8 years natural to figure this out?) I finally went to sunflower oil. I use it to seal, and add jasmine EO for fragrance. It never gets greasy on me and with this and the first conditioner, I can stretch my washes.

Shea Moisture ACV - Black Castor Oil Shampoo - I started doing no poo and it killed me. I was a sulfate junkie. This shampoo saved me from crawling back to sulfates.

Raw Sugar Hair Mask - Avocado + Banana Oil - Try finding a DC with no coconut oil in it. Also, I just love this. 10/10.

Olive Oil Ecostyler - I tried to do the flaxseed thing for awhile, but after cutting my hair back up to my shoulders there was no way to do a bun with all of the short strands. Back to ECO until I can miraculously grow my hair back.... *sigh*

TFS about the Raw Sugar Mask. The reviews are amazing, the ingredients are different, and it's 12 oz. for about $10. I'm soooooo going to try this before I pay shipping fees for the Curl Origin Mask I'm eyeing.

Back