Sooo, I'm meeting his family :)

No gifts. Give them a chance to warm up to you without distractions. Have a great time! Oh and most importantly (j/k), what are you wearing and what are you doing w/ your hair, LOL!

A bit of reassurance, my hubby is caucasian and when I met his family, I was a nervous wreck. We sat in the car out front at his parent home for about 10 minutes before he could calm me down. I'm a bit shy though. You're not, so you'll be fine and they will love you instantly, I'm sure. My hubby always says that his family loves me more than him, LOL!

I'd say no on the gifts just because you don't need to try THAT hard. I know the gifts are for the girls but the opinions about the gifts and the implicit meaning behind getting the gifts will be formed by the adults. I think just meeting folks is enough for the first meeting.

See? The "chocolate" part threw me off LOL.

Well, they'll find out eventually...even if they don't take to you, it's YOUR relationship and I hope even still, their opinion won't sway anything if it is negative.

I doubt it will be, just be yourself!

Glib, that's so great you're meeting his family! Another vote for waiting, just to see what the girls are like. I love how confident you are, you're right, I'm sure you will charm the socks off of them. :yep:

It's fun to get them gifts once you've met them. and little girls are so sweet..
I bet they warm right up to you!
..then it's a no brainer to bring a little something
the next time ...plus it will be...you....that will have a sense of what'd they'd like
and it will mean more to all of you...what fun that would be to surprise them

hi ....look what I got you!

right now would be a little weird and not really meaningful
after all you want to offer a relationship..not a bribe

Have fun...have fun!
okay enuf about the kids
let's rap about the pancakes....I'm thinking the strawberrry pancakes /w strawberry syrup..mm-mmm-mmm

Thanks ladies. I have told him emphatically multiple times that he NEEDS to tell them I'm black . . . but I don't think he's done it
that's a little odd...I mean what's wrong with just a regular physical descrip

she's pretty...she's AA...she's about 5'5 ..upscale dresser
using his word....quirky
blah blah..blah.....I mean.... no big deal
not a major issue of it... so why not?

he needs to....since it matters to you

No gifts. Give them a chance to warm up to you without distractions. Have a great time! Oh and most importantly (j/k), what are you wearing and what are you doing w/ your hair, LOL!

A bit of reassurance, my hubby is caucasian and when I met his family, I was a nervous wreck. We sat in the car out front at his parent home for about 10 minutes before he could calm me down. I'm a bit shy though. You're not, so you'll be fine and they will love you instantly, I'm sure. My hubby always says that his family loves me more than him, LOL!

I loved reading your story. Dh and his family sound great.

I say be yourself. If you want to give gifts because that who you are - do it.

I made DH's family a fruit basket when I first met them - we were spending the weekend at their house so I wanted to bring something. Then w/ his sisters, we drew pictures of the fruit basket - pretending to be French artists.

You know, I have a tendency to overdress for things but DC (why did I almost type "DH" :look:) is very low-key and given that it's a Sunday morning I suspect his family will be too . . . so I'm just going to wear a nice shirt and some crop pants. Hair will be simple . . . likely in a low ponytail since it's sure to be hot.

I looked again and missed the part about the parents being deceased and you meeting his sisters and their husbands (I was thinking something else). Have his sisters dated interracially before? Perhaps that is why he doesn't think it is a big deal to tell them. I'm not aware of the age difference or if they keep in touch often, but I guarantee they know he's dated a black girl before, even if they've never met her.

Last edited:
I was very nervous when meeting my SO's family for the first time, very similar situation, parents deceased, meeting his siblings, their children, and his sister-in-law's parents. He had already dated a black girl before, so they treated me normally, the worst part was being called by a previous girlfriend's name...more than once.:sad: but anyway, my fears about acceptance were much worse than the reality. Just be yourself & trust that he knows his family and won't have you walking into a dicey situation. Then again, by now you have probably already met them, but since it didn't say in this thread I have no idea..

I was very nervous when meeting my SO's family for the first time, very similar situation, parents deceased, meeting his siblings, their children, and his sister-in-law's parents. He had already dated a black girl before, so they treated me normally, the worst part was being called by a previous girlfriend's name...more than once.:sad: but anyway, my fears about acceptance were much worse than the reality. Just be yourself & trust that he knows his family and won't have you walking into a dicey situation. Then again, by now you have probably already met them, but since it didn't say in this thread I have no idea..

Actually no - I got sick last weekend so we had to postpone it . . . will let you all know when the meeting finally occurs!

Thanks for the advice :yep:

Back