Sometimes I'm scared how I'll look when I achieve my length

frida1980

Have you ever noticed some women looking really plain or odd with long hair. It's like long hair does the exact opposite of what it's intended to do. I've always wanted waist length hair, but I realize that some people just don't look good with it. Take a friend of mine. She had this absolutely gorgeous waist length hair, but it made her look kinda plain somehow. Maybe it was the way she styled it. But for some reason when she finally cut it off, it just improved her look. Maybe that's just for white women, but I doubt it.

Has any one thought about this?

If you don't like it you can always just cut it off....

That'd be like saving up for a mercedes for four years and realizing it's not the car you wanted and you can't trade it in without blowing a lot of money, time, and effort.

I'd drive the car, and I'd keep the hair out of principle.

I have, but that's why one has to jazz it up with styling...or cut it some. I think because long hair can be a tedious task, some people just find it easy to just do simple styles most times and make themselves look plain. Haisticks, forks and other accessories can all be used. :)

I couldn't care less. If my hair is the length I like, then I'm keeping it that way. Sometimes you just gotta own that ponytail. Dont be insecure girl, WORK THAT UP-DO! :lol:

you got to be really creative with long hair to look jazzy. most women with long hair keep it in a bun or ponytail. but you can make it work.

I've thought of this. My goal is waist length and I'm pretty sure if it's blunt I'd look SO boring and plain. I plan on getting layers once I reach my goal length.

Well a hairstyle can either enhance or detract from your looks. I think she may not style her hair in such a way that played her features up. IMO, Halle Berry looks like a totally different person with her pixie cut as opposed to long hair. And certain styles of long hair look better than the others on her. I say it's worth the wait to find out how I look with long hair.

I have BSL hair when it's straight my ultimate goal is lower MBL. I keep my hair curly 99% of thhe time but when it is straight I usually have it up. I think it makes me look older when it is down so, I am thinking about putting layers in front to frame my face. The only problem is that when curly it looks good to me as it is, my problem is how to cut my hair so it looks good both curly and straight.

You better layer it up! LOL. If you find out you look better with short hair...get layers to play up your face. Long hair in the front tends to elongate your face....n er'ybody cant do that...lol. I for one. Layers for me, Love. :)

Have you thought about trying on wigs in different styles at the length you might like? Good wigs, not the BSS $19.99 special! :) I saw some pretty long LF wigs at a BSS about a month ago. This will give you a good idea, I think, of what you may look like with your goal length.

I've seen very long haired women looking very drab and plain, but everytime it's been because her hair was in a boring pony tail, straight back, no make-up...blah, blah, blah! A winning and confident personality, pretty eyes an lips make the look, it's not just about the hair.

I have BSL hair when it's straight my ultimate goal is lower MBL. I keep my hair curly 99% of thhe time but when it is straight I usually have it up. I think it makes me look older when it is down so, I am thinking about putting layers in front to frame my face. The only problem is that when curly it looks good to me as it is, my problem is how to cut my hair so it looks good both curly and straight.

OMGee...You look like you could be my hair cousin...do you have anymore pics?

Sorry, OP...back to the topic:lachen:...I know that long hair can make people look homely and plain...That's why I have always and intend to always keep my hair in some type of layered style to add some flair to my hair...Oh, and coloring it helps spice it up too...

Lol...it's funny that you used the analogy of buying a Mercedes and then realizing that it wasn't your dream car...I have a Mercedes and although it is in the family of my dream car, at the end of the day, it's just a car and at the end of the day, it is just hair...if you are not feeling it's going to show and it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy...some people want what they "think" they can't have and then once they get it- they realize that it isn't everything that they thought it to be...I assume hair could fall into that category as well...

I dnt think I could ever look plain with wl hair - the syling options are endless! But I have seem some ppl with boring wl hair but thats because it has looked thin and unkempt with scraggly split ends and sometimes dirty (which are none of the looks i would be rockin lol)

Last edited:
ummm my hair at WL will be a huge mane ... and I'll b too giving ppl whiplash with all the double takes to b scared abt how I look LOL

but seriously, as many ladies have said, its all about styling, and maybe sum colour

I used to wonder about this, but mostly about what I would look like with my curly hair. I got over it.

Yeah some people look kinda plain with long hair, but that doesn't have to be true for you. I think I look mighty sex-ay with my long hair :lachen: I also think that a black woman with long hair looks very beautiful, that's just my opinion. Maybe your friend needs some make-up or change up her wardrobe. Some people tend to "hide" behind their long hair.

Worse case scenario, just cut off a few inches of hair and you're good to go.

Well my waist length hair would start out about 2 feet from my head, so I don't think I'll look too plain! LOL

I've thought about that but then I remembered I used to wear long extensions and I LOVED how that looked on me. That's half of the reason I found this site, I wanted my own hair to get to that length so DH could actually run his hands through it.

Ya know....hair color does wonders....If my hair looked plain at my natural hair color I would get a redish brown look. or some blonde highlights. There's no reason to waste time, money and effort.

Don't even worry. There are tons of styles you can with your hair and like someone else said, hair accersories can add spice to almost any style.

*cheers from the sidelines* I am sure the ladies on this board will hook you up with some ideas. :weird:

I remember when I was in clinicals, my mentor had thick waist length hair. She had the bounciest (sp?) roller set that I have ever seen on a black woman. Her hair was on point. She wore it down, half up/half down, updos, hair toys. This lady was fierce. :gorgeous: What style and confidence. She knew she looked good too. Annndddd she was in her late 40's or early 50's at the time. I tell you what, I was never bored looking at her hair. :drool:

BBBabbyy when i reach my length.. ima be one sexi blich! Ima get me some layers:gorgeous:, my freakum dress :bdance:, ima get n my car and whip my hair:auto:, n ima go to my man house n beckon him over like this :naughtycouch: ..

But girl your gonna look fine! dont worry

Just go with it..You can style WL hair so many different ways...(GO FOR IT)

Happy Hair Growing!

You'll just have to wait and see.

I made a thread similar to this a while back. I'm not too sure long hair will flatter my round face. I'm keeping layers in my hair to help complement my face and spice it up. Color also helps.

I have also seen that long boring hair. But to see an AA woman with WL hair is not boring at all! It's a rarity!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I've thought of this. My goal is waist length and I'm pretty sure if it's blunt I'd look SO boring and plain. I plan on getting layers once I reach my goal length.

I agree with this completely! There's a girl in one of my classes with tailbone length hair and it does nothing for her at all. She usually has it out or in a ponytail, which just looks like one long mass of hair. As much as it might hurt to do it, I think hair that long looks alot better if you break it up into layers. She needs to cut at least 20 inches off different parts of her hair to add dimension to it, think Kim Kardashian...

I love dreaming of the day when I have WL+ hair. I've never met a person that didnt look good with long hair, unless it was thin, lifeless, bushy, ends damaged, etc. Basically, any hair that is healthy and well-styled looks good - even the plain blunt cut!

I don't think thin, limp hair looks good long at all - it needs to be cut shorter in order to have less weight and have more volume. That being said...my hair is anything but limp and thin, lol...it will look anything but plain...I often dream of my hair party, when I put on a hot dress and 6 inch heels, then go to a swanky lounge adorned in bangles and chunky rings...I walk up to the bar with the cutest bartender, flip my hair, and say in my sultry voice, "I'll have a martini...extra dirty." *wink*

When mine is waist length, I'm going to wear it just like this.

YouTube - Gullah/Geechee TV Nayshun Nyews with Queen Quet Ep4 Pt1

:thud: That woman's hair was FIERCE!!!!! Her teeth... not so much. :look: Just saying!

You know, I've come to realize that I actually look better with short hair, but since I've wanted long hair all my life I really can't be bothered to care about that!

OP, if you're natural, you can simply take advantage of your shrinkage! I love that about natural hair! It can be NL one day and down your back the next! And If you're not natural, you can utilize some of the other fabulous suggestions mentioned in this thread! :yep:

You'll do fine!

Bangs or layers around the face can fix that. It can add more dimension and frame the face in a flattering way.

OP, I felt/feel the same way you do too. I will go against the grain and say that I do not think all black women with long hair rock it, own it, and look good in it:look:. I think one should grow their hair to see if they are curious on how they would look in it, but to be honest you have an instinct and an intuition for a reason. Even when it comes to style. Not all women look at long hair as owning a mercedes, some think short hair is the best that has happened to them since sliced bread. Different looks, different faces, different body types, and different styles for different women. Do you, whatever fits you and rock it well!

Back