SOCK BUNS: GOOD PS OR BAD NEWS???

triniprincess6

Hi Everyone!!

I'm embarking on a new PS reggie and I want to do a lot of high buns using socks wrapped with pieces of nylon. I'm afraid the cotton socks are going to dry out my ends -- which is why i'm wrapping nylon around the actual sock -- but that brings me to the larger question: is a sock bun a good PS method??? Any good/ bad experiences?

Great thread, a little off topic on my part but it's so funny, i've been stalking tons of You tube videos showing my how to do those super cute hight bun styles with my old half wigs, lace wigs or even a phoney poney. I want to acheive a high bun like Peakmill on YT and Fabulosityisme. I notice some other YT use a sock bun or doughnut to achieve the look, so I want to give it a try. I think it's a nice PS for occasional use...nothing too long. When I rocked a bun for about three weeks straight taking it down in the evenings only, I ended up now with a super sore scalp and major breakage. I had no clue about this potential setback from my phoney bun. So now, I no longer use the comb in the bun and I only do buns a couple days at a time and take longs breaks in between and I rotate the position of them. I think any PS that allows you to tuck away well moisturized and sealed ends is good...including the bun. Just protect your scalp and dont do them too tight. HTH.

I do buns a few times a week and have used donut sock buns a few times. I made mine at home with cotton socks then wrapped in nylon (sounds similar to yours). I haven't experienced any problems with them...but I also don't use them everyday since I try to mix up the placement of my bun to avoid loss in a certain spot. I think they are fine if used once in a while on hair that is properly moisturized.

I think as long as your hair is at a good length and can spread out comfortably around the sock bun without any tightness or tension and without having to redo it often, then it would be a good protective style.

Sent via Android LHCF App

Lol. I'm thinking of the sock buns I used to do in the '90's but not for PS. You know how you would put it in a ponytail and and then wrap the sock on the outside and wear it? All the time praying that the black gel was dry and didn't get on the sock?

Lol. I'm thinking of the sock buns I used to do in the '90's but not for PS. You know how you would put it in a ponytail and and then wrap the sock on the outside and wear it? All the time praying that the black gel was dry and didn't get on the sock?

:lachen:Girl, you took me down memory lane. Ahhh, the wonderful 90's! I remember that style was a life saver trying to hurry and get ready in the morning.

:lachen:Girl, you took me down memory lane. Ahhh, the wonderful 90's! I remember that style was a life saver trying to hurry and get ready in the morning.

Yall are making me feel so young! In the 90s I was about.... 10. :lol:

Thanks for all of the suggestions... someone else on another board suggested wrapping the sock around silk or satin. I think I might try that too

When I first started my HHJ, I used to think that too. :lol: Reminded me of the girls with super short hair that used to try to fake the funk by putting a sock over an anemic ponytail to make it look thick.

When it discovered it meant:

Sock-Bun-Picture1.jpg

and

img1114.jpg

I was relieved.

To answer @triniprincess6 question, I sewed part of a satin scarf around my sock/doughnut to make it soft and cover the cotton. I also don't do tight buns/ponytails. I prefer the looser, messy buns anyway. I don't use regular ponytail holders for the most part. I use looser equipment such as old head bands, etc.

Just don't use cotton to make the doughnut because that will suck up all the moisture and create breakage.

Agreed. Put something over the cotton sock otherwise it will tear up your ends. I use cotton socks for bulk with a nylon stocking over that. It seems to work pretty well, but you might want to use a heavier moisturizer than normal or a sealant or something.

Back