So sad....I had to trim my ends again...But it was totally a lesson learned!

Amelia456

So, last month i trimmed my ends. However, after blow drying my hair today, I noticed that my ends were feeling dry, brittle, and were splitting again. I couldn't understand how my ends ended up looking and feeling down right disgusting again.
So, i went through LHCF, Nappturality, Motowngirl.com, various other websites trying to figure out what the problem was. Well, I narrowed it down to the following factors:
I am currently living in Albany, N.Y., where it is extremely cold and
I do not oil my ends daily (which apparently should be done if you live in an area with extreme weather).
After acquiring that info, i went in the bathroom and proceeded to flat iron my hair so that I could see first hand and have a full understanding of what needed to be cut. Sad to say, I had to cut an inch of hair again (which is disappointing because i am trying so hard to get some growth).
So sad:wallbash:
I am never going to allow that to happen again. I oiled my ends with coconut oil after i trimmed and I plan on keep my ends moisturized at all times. If anybody has suggestions of good products to use on my ends to maintain moisture in harsh weather, please let me know.

Peace

Lacio Lacio is very good for moisturizing root to tip. I am transitioning and I am a 4b, dry and course. I live in MI and we are having some really harsh weather right now so I know what you mean.

You should baggying your ends, there are a lot of tutorials on that. Use the search tool and search for baggying. I have a baggy on right now and my hair feels good. Good luck Amelia

So, last month i trimmed my ends. However, after blow drying my hair today, I noticed that my ends were feeling dry, brittle, and were splitting again. I couldn't understand how my ends ended up looking and feeling down right disgusting again.
So, i went through LHCF, Nappturality, Motowngirl.com, various other websites trying to figure out what the problem was. Well, I narrowed it down to the following factors:
I am currently living in Albany, N.Y., where it is extremely cold and
I do not oil my ends daily (which apparently should be done if you live in an area with extreme weather).
After acquiring that info, i went in the bathroom and proceeded to flat iron my hair so that I could see first hand and have a full understanding of what needed to be cut. Sad to say, I had to cut an inch of hair again (which is disappointing because i am trying so hard to get some growth).
So sad:wallbash:
I am never going to allow that to happen again. I oiled my ends with coconut oil after i trimmed and I plan on keep my ends moisturized at all times. If anybody has suggestions of good products to use on my ends to maintain moisture in harsh weather, please let me know.

Peace

Are you oiling them or moisturizing them? I would suggest a water based moisturizer like ORS Olive oil or Carrot oil THEN seal with coconut oil. Stop trimming so much your hair maybe just dry. Do a good deep conditioning with a moisturizing conditioner (not protein) like Keracare humecto, Kenra MC. If you are oiling only you could be sealing the moisture out of your hair. AVOID direct heat such as curling irons and flat irons and blow dryers. if you use them please use a heat protectant.

Last edited:
Are you oiling them or moisturizing them? I would suggest a water based moisturizer like ORS Olive oil or Carrot oil THEN seal with coconut oil. Stop trimming so much your hair maybe just dry. Do a good deep conditioning with a moisturizing conditioner (not protein) like Keracare humecto, Kenra MC. If you are oiling only you could be sealing the moisture out of your hair. AVOID direct heat such as curling irons and flat irons and blow dryers. if you use them please use a heat protectant.

How is ORS Olive oil and carrot oil water based? Isn't it just oil like coconut oil?

I was in Albany last weekend and it was beyond cold!

Don't use coconut oil right now if you're going to wear your hair straight. Whenever I use it and go outside my hair freezes up! On a wash and go its fine as long as you add another oil. Its the strangest thing to have your hair literally frozen LOL. I would highly recommend sealing your hair with castor oil, its extremely moisturizing. Right now I mix my castor oil in my conditioner so it won't be too sticky and its easier to apply all over my hair.

Put the flatiron away for now, don't trim anymore, and the other poster recommended deep conditioning so I would do that too. Are you protein sensitive? If you're not, I would also do an Aphogee treatment every 6 weeks.

How is ORS Olive oil and carrot oil water based? Isn't it just oil like coconut oil?

Carrot-Oil.jpg

SBS-311004

They have oil but they are water based

Last edited:
Carrot-Oil.jpg

SBS-311004

They have oil but they are water based

THe carrot oil is a staple for me. I simply slather it on the end of my 4 braids, at night. Put each of the 4 braids in a sandwich baggy, tie off with a mini-scrunchie, and then tie head with satin/silk scarf. In the morning, after baggying my ends like that, they are smooth, soft, pliable.....so cooperative with styling. :yep: No breakage whatsoever.:lick:

I have the same issue and I recently had to trim...haven't trimmed in a long time anyway, i'm starting to moisturize my ends nightly with the mizani h2o, and i've started to do the search and destory method, to get rid of any new split ends.

But I agree moisturizing them nightly, daily etc. I never really paid attention to my ends, but i've learned from here that they need love too, i don't use oils because they weigh my hair down but on my ends only the h2o is good, i've also just purchased Salerm Biokera treatment for ends so i'll see if that will help.

I'm assuming based on the sites yor searched that you are natural. Plain ole' water sealed with castor oils works well if you're on a budget. I do that to my ends then baggy at night. I only wet and castor oil the ends. During the day a spritz with conditioner is good. I've been using the whipped cream by Hairveda in the mornings.

Thank you ladies so much for all of the advice and support. I am going to try to go through all of the techniques given to see which one works better for me. I am going to start with the least expensive technique and work my way up (i'm a grad student so you know i'm poor).
With that said, since i already have castor oil, I am going to wet my ends and seal with castor oil for a while and observe the results. If that does not work, i will move on to the ORS.
Once agian, thanks for all of the feedback.

I was just oiling my ends. I use Nexxuss Humectress as a dc. However, I didn't know that only oiling would seal the moisture out of my hair. I don't really use direct heat. I did yesterday because I wanted to measure growth but was disappointed when i noticed how badly my ends looked and felt. I probably didn't need to cut my hair but I just couldn't stop thinking about how wretched my ends looked (it was driving me crazy):wallbash:.

Thanks for the great advice. I am going to try wetting and applying castor oil every night. If the results are not great, I am definitely going to switch to ORS.

coconut oil is great, in fact its my fave oil but with that said since its cold you may not want to oil your ends and then go outside because it will solidify and may cause breakage.
i oil my hair with coconut oil at night(its freezing here too) but in the morning i oil with cocasta witch is a conditioning oil. its much like castor oil IMO so maybe you should try that.

Also you night want to baggy your ends after the water + castor oil. They will stay moisturized all night plus this cuts down on knots.

I agree with this. Before LHCF, I used to trim my hair often because I thought it was damaged. When I learned to properly moisturize my hair, even the ends I thought were damaged bounced back to life. Good luck!:grin:

so oiling the ends reduces chances of knotting and you do not need to trim?
Is there a difference between moisturizing and oiling the ends?

I rediscovered Avon's dry end serum and I'm glad I did. I have trimmed about 2" off this year and still I keep getting those single knots. I prefer to try and keep the hair stretched in some way (rollerset or flatironing) then oil it then apply the dry end serum. So far so good..my ends are responding.

Back