So is it true that jojoba oil actually MOISTURIZES hair?

Ebonygurl00

Sorry ladies, I bet this has been brought up a lot, but I searched and didn't find it. Ok, so I know that oil is generally used to seal in moisture. BUT on LHC, someone posted some info in their journal about different oils. One thing that stood out is the info about jojoba oil. The info said that the molecules in jojoba oil are small enough to penetrate the hair shaft, so it actually moisturizes. I think it said that this is partly because it's a close match to natural sebum. So is this true? Sorry for rambling, lol. Thanks in advance!

Ebonygurl00 said:
Sorry ladies, I bet this has been brought up a lot, but I searched and didn't find it. Ok, so I know that oil is generally used to seal in moisture. BUT on LHC, someone posted some info in their journal about different oils. One thing that stood out is the info about jojoba oil. The info said that the molecules in jojoba oil are small enough to penetrate the hair shaft, so it actually moisturizes. I think it said that this is partly because it's a close match to natural sebum. So is this true? Sorry for rambling, lol. Thanks in advance!

I think you are correct, I love jojoba oil, I use it nightly with coconut oil.

Ive heard this, too. If thats the case, Id love to kill two birds in one stone. Do you guys know a good brand of jojoba oil to buy?:confused:

I have heard this, as well.

I don't use this oil, but I was using coconut oil and it was great at keeping my hair moisturized between leave-in conditioner applications twice aweek (which also moisturizes for me).

I have now been using kemi oil and I am in love. I know that the popular opinion is that water based moisturizers are the answer for moisture, but I just don't think that is the only option - at least my hair does not think so. :)

But, still I don't think I could skip my creamy leave-in when my hair is wet.

HoneyDew said:

I don't use this oil, but I was using coconut oil and it was great at keeping my hair moisturized between leave-in conditioner applications twice aweek (which also moisturizes for me).

I have now been using kemi oil and I am in love. I know that the popular opinion is that water based moisturizers are the answer for moisture, but I just don't think that is the only option - at least my hair does not think so. :)

I keep hearing that coconut oil is good, and a lot of ladies on this board seem to use it. Where are you getting it from??? I want to try it.:D

HoneyDew said:

I was going to say this. IMO Kemi Oyl does moisturize, but that maybe just for my hair. I use a moisturizer just to keep my sanity though.:lol:

Jojoba oil is good, especially since it is similar to the natural sebum your scalp produces. Another oil I've heard is good for nourishing the hair is Emu oil.

MizaniMami said:
I was going to say this. IMO Kemi Oyl does moisturize, but that maybe just for my hair. I use a moisturizer just to keep my sanity though.:lol:
Ill bet you any kind of money that Kemi oyl has jojoba oil in it, and thats why our hair feels moisturized. Just to support the theory that jojoba oil moisturizes.They need to stop being so darn secretive about their ingredients!!!:mad:

This is a list of oils I've read that are moisturizing to hair:

Emu oil
EFAs (Essential Fatty Acids)
Olive Oil
Jojoba oil
Almond oil
Castor oil
Essential oils
Wheat Germ oil
Peppermint oil
Lavender oil
Orange oil

shunta said:
I keep hearing that coconut oil is good, and a lot of ladies on this board seem to use it. Where are you getting it from??? I want to try it.:D

like PNG, I get mine at ahealth food store. A little goes along way, too.

MizaniMami said:

I luvs me some Kemi Oil. I started usign itafter KhandiB mentioned that it was one of her staples.

I still use a moisturizer sometimes, though. Like last night my ends were trippin' so I put some Loreal smooth intense cream on the ends only and I was good to go. :D

shunta said:
Ill bet you any kind of money that Kemi oyl has jojoba oil in it, and thats why our hair feels moisturized. Just to support the theory that jojoba oil moisturizes.They need to stop being so darn secretive about their ingredients!!!:mad:

EXACTLY! Before I knew about hair care when my hair would start breaking I would just throw some kemi in it and the breakage would literally disappear immediatly. Don't know how or why.:nuts:

It would be our luck that kemi's ingredients is nothing but mineral oil, petroleum, and parabens lol:lol:

aprilbiz said:

Emu oil
Olive Oil
Jojoba oil
Almond oil
Castor oil
Essential oils
Wheat Germ oil
Peppermint oil
Lavender oil
Orange oil

The ones by Aphogee?

For me and my hair...jojoba oil is moisturizing. After a CW, I can run some jojoba oil through my hair, pony it, put some castor oil on the length of my pony, bun it and my hair stays soft and moisturized for up to two days (the longest I seem to be able to go between CWs...so I'm not sure if it would last even longer). This is just my experience with jojoba oil on my hair. The same may not and is probably not true for everyone.

MizaniMami said:
EXACTLY! Before I knew about hair care when my hair would start breaking I would just throw some kemi in it and the breakage would literally disappear immediatly. Don't know how or why.:nuts:

It would be our luck that kemi's ingredients is nothing but mineral oil, petroleum, and parabens lol:lol:
True!!:D Because if it did contain those ingredients, nobody would buy it, and thats why they keep it a "secret"!!!:lachen:

MizaniMami said:
The ones by Aphogee?

I do believe so. I have bought it before and used a little. It's very thick with no real smell so I suppose it needs to be mixed with something.

I'll try to find more info on it.

By the way, I found this info on oils:

The summary is that a study was done where subjects used the essential oils Thyme, Rosemary, Lavender and Cedarwood. 44% experienced growth. The other subjects used carrier oils like Jojoba and 15% experienced growth.

http://hairloss.about.com/od/preventinghairloss/a/oils.htm

I remember back in the day when i first started with a relaxer(Affirm mild) my first one...i used some of the moisturizer from Keracare that had Jojoba oil in it..and i couldnt figure out why my hair actually was so good and was beautiful....and then i finally realized that it was the jojoba oil that was in the moisturizer....

i just recently last week went and picked up a small bottle of the jojoba oil from a BSS it was 1.99....between Jojoba oil and Parenevu(sp?) T-Tree oil this keeps my hair moisturized...and i think this is going to help me grow my hair out and keep my ends growing...

shunta said:

I know! How do they get away with not listing the ingredients on the bottle? I thought they had to by law? :confused:

I guess I am the odd one out because I do not believe that oils have the ability to actually moisturize the hair. My definition of moisturizing might be different.:lol:

Moisturization (hydration) is a characteristic of water. Oils are hydrophobic meaning they propel water chemically. Its difficult to moisturize if you can't even bind yourself to water. Oils do soften, nourish, and increase the hair's pliability, but this is not "moisturizing." Maybe I'm being picky and its an issue with semantics-- but moisturizing is not really the proper word for the action of oils, IMO.

True, the molecules of jojoba and other essential oils are smaller than conventional oils, but their ability to simply penetrate a few layers of the hair shaft do not suddenly give them the ability to moisturize. Penetration does not equal moisturization. Relaxers and bleach penetrate the hair shaft too, but I'm sure no one will argue that they provide a moisture benefit. Simply getting in does not mean any moisturizing is going on. So, you can't really say it penetrates or that something softens your hair so that makes it moisturizing.

Jojoba is the closest oil/wax to sebum-- but sebum is produced by the body to coat the hair-- not to penetrate and/or moisturize. Sebum is produced as a protective barrier to keep the moisture inherent in the skin from escaping off into the air-- not to actually give it moisture. It is produced by the sebaceous glands to make the hair and skin soft and pliable. I guess this is what many mean when they say "moisturizing." I define moisturizing as "hydrating" so thats why I take this position.:lol: I just think its incorrect to use the word "moisture" or "moisturizing" to refer to anything other than water. *no rocks purty pwease*:lol:

chocolatesis said:
I know! How do they get away with not listing the ingredients on the bottle? I thought they had to by law? :confused:

I thougth that too. I wonder what the FDA would think about that.:look:

Sistaslick said:
I guess I am the odd one out because I do not believe that oils have the ability to actually moisturize the hair. My definition of moisturizing might be different.:lol:

Moisturization (hydration) is a characteristic of water. Oils are hydrophobic meaning they propel water chemically. Its difficult to moisturize if you can't even bind yourself to water. Oils do soften, nourish, and increase the hair's pliability, but this is not "moisturizing." Maybe I'm being picky and its an issue with semantics-- but moisturizing is not really the proper word for the action of oils, IMO.

True, the molecules of jojoba and other essential oils are smaller than conventional oils, but their ability to simply penetrate a few layers of the hair shaft do not suddenly give them the ability to moisturize. Penetration does not equal moisturization. Relaxers and bleach penetrate the hair shaft too, but I'm sure no one will argue that they provide a moisture benefit. Simply getting in does not mean any moisturizing is going on. So, you can't really say it penetrates or that something softens your hair so that makes it moisturizing.

Jojoba is the closest oil/wax to sebum-- but sebum is produced by the body to coat the hair-- not to penetrate and/or moisturize. Sebum is produced as a protective barrier to keep the moisture inherent in the skin from escaping off into the air-- not to actually give it moisture. It is produced by the sebaceous glands to make the hair and skin soft and pliable. I guess this is what many mean when they say "moisturizing." I define moisturizing as "hydrating" so thats why I take this position.:lol: I just think its incorrect to use the word "moisture" or "moisturizing" to refer to anything other than water. *no rocks purty pwease*:lol:

Thanks for explaining this in detail!!! I thought this was true but didnt know how to explain it.

Sistaslick said:

Wow! great post! thanks Sista!

Wow, ladies, thanks for all of the great replies! I didn't expect so many. Also, thanks, Sistaslick, for that amazing post! I thought back to when I used jojoba oil alone and my hair felt better than it's ever felt. I used to use Kemi Oil a long time ago, and my breakage would stop then, also. I just ordered some more jojoba oil last night, so hopefully I'll get it this week and test it out without anything else. Thanks again!

aprilbiz said:

Emu oil
Olive Oil
Jojoba oil
Almond oil
Castor oil
Essential oils
Wheat Germ oil
Peppermint oil
Lavender oil
Orange oil

can you purchase these oil in the Vitamin Shop or a healthfood store? I really don't like to order from the internet

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Jojoba oil is good, especially since it is similar to the natural sebum your scalp produces. Another oil I've heard is good for nourishing the hair is Emu oil.
yep, soo true my fav oils are jojoba, emu and coconut. they worl real good with water.

aprilbiz said:

Emu oil
Olive Oil
Jojoba oil
Almond oil
Castor oil
Essential oils
Wheat Germ oil
Peppermint oil
Lavender oil
Orange oil

I missed this post, thanks!! I'm going to print this out so I'll have it when I go to stores to purchase them. I forgot to mention that when I was using only jojoba oil, I spritzed my hair with water everyday, then added the jojoba oil. Is that better than using it on dry hair?

When I joined this board, I starting using water based moiturizers everyday and I think it was overloaded. I know now that Ireally don't need that. My hair is not dry at all. I do use a water based moisturizer 2 times a week on my wet hair, and some kind of natural oil 2-3 days a week. Even when I do use those, I only use a little. Sometimes, my ends need alittle more TLC and then I will apply some kind of cream to them.

I really don't think daily waterbased moisturizers are always the answer, and I don't think ONLY using oil is the answer either. At least for me this is the case. :)

shunta said:
Ive heard this, too. If thats the case, Id love to kill two birds in one stone. Do you guys know a good brand of jojoba oil to buy?:confused:

I use the NOW brand. I get it from Amazon.com, but I think you can find it in the store.

HoneyDew said:
When I joined this board, I starting using water based moiturizers everyday and I think it was overloaded. I know now that Ireally don't need that. My hair is not dry at all. I do use a water based moisturizer 2 times a week on my wet hair, and some kind of natural oil 2-3 days a week. Even when I do use those, I only use a little. Sometimes, my ends need alittle more TLC and then I will apply some kind of cream to them.

I really don't think daily waterbased moisturizers are always the answer, and I don't think ONLY using oil is the answer either. At least for me this is the case. :)

I agree totally agree. I do believe there are people who do not necessarily need to hydrate through water-based moisturizers every single day. For some, their washing and conditioning schedules alone or even with w-b moisture sealed on wash day provide enough moisture to last and keep the hair supple for awhile. Before I permanently colored my hair, I could skip days at a time without a problem. My bun stayed moisturized. But now man . . . can we say POROUS?! . . . :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: My hair hasn't been the same since. I will never color my own hair again. Ever. Dark N Lovely is the absolute devil.:mad: The devil I say! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I :love: jojoba. Definitely a staple for me. I've been using Vitamin Shoppe brand, but I am going to try an organic jojoba oil when I repurchase to see if I can feel a difference.

I agree 100% with Sistaslick. In my book "moisture" necessarily indicates water, period. In discussions we use the word moisturizer fairly casually, but when you're working on your regimen and need to be more specific about what each product is doing then these kinds of threads are helpful so you know what's what :yep:

Often if something makes someone's hair softer or more pliable they immediately consider that moisturized. Moisturized hair does have those properties, but not everthing that can make your hair feel soft and pliable is actually moisturizing it. Mineral oil and petroleum can make your hair soft and pliable, but you better believe they aren't putting water in your hair.

Effective water-based moisturizers are so effective because they have water in them. I think the reason why they can work better for some people than just plain water is that commercial moisturizing products contain all sorts of other things that are beneficial to your hair, often including oils. These mixes always have emulsifiers in them so you can get your oil and water in one go, plus the benefits of botanicals or whatever else is in your product.

I personally fare best with just water and jojoba to seal it in. The one exception being when I straighten my hair, when I use Profectiv Mega Moisturizer (Long N Healthy) since I obviously can't douse my hair with water and expect it to stay straight. Again, LNH, although it has "Moisturizer" in the name isn't technically a moisturizer proper, because it does not contain water. It has as its base a humectant (glycerin), which draws water in--so it's sort of a roundabout moisturizer :lol:

Back