So is it true that jojoba oil actually MOISTURIZES hair?

BlackCardinal said:
I :love: jojoba. Definitely a staple for me. I've been using Vitamin Shoppe brand, but I am going to try an organic jojoba oil when I repurchase to see if I can feel a difference.

I agree 100% with Sistaslick. In my book "moisture" necessarily indicates water, period. In discussions we use the word moisturizer fairly casually, but when you're working on your regimen and need to be more specific about what each product is doing then these kinds of threads are helpful so you know what's what :yep:

Often if something makes someone's hair softer or more pliable they immediately consider that moisturized. Moisturized hair does have those properties, but not everthing that can make your hair feel soft and pliable is actually moisturizing it. Mineral oil and petroleum can make your hair soft and pliable, but you better believe they aren't putting water in your hair.

Effective water-based moisturizers are so effective because they have water in them. I think the reason why they can work better for some people than just plain water is that commercial moisturizing products contain all sorts of other things that are beneficial to your hair, often including oils. These mixes always have emulsifiers in them so you can get your oil and water in one go, plus the benefits of botanicals or whatever else is in your product.

I personally fare best with just water and jojoba to seal it in. The one exception being when I straighten my hair, when I use Profectiv Mega Moisturizer (Long N Healthy) since I obviously can't douse my hair with water and expect it to stay straight. Again, LNH, although it has "Moisturizer" in the name isn't technically a moisturizer proper, because it does not contain water. It has as its base a humectant (glycerin), which draws water in--so it's sort of a roundabout moisturizer :lol:

BC,

Thanks--I enjoyed reading this. :up:

BlackCardinal said:
I :love: jojoba. Definitely a staple for me. I've been using Vitamin Shoppe brand, but I am going to try an organic jojoba oil when I repurchase to see if I can feel a difference.

I agree 100% with Sistaslick. In my book "moisture" necessarily indicates water, period. In discussions we use the word moisturizer fairly casually, but when you're working on your regimen and need to be more specific about what each product is doing then these kinds of threads are helpful so you know what's what :yep:

Often if something makes someone's hair softer or more pliable they immediately consider that moisturized. Moisturized hair does have those properties, but not everthing that can make your hair feel soft and pliable is actually moisturizing it. Mineral oil and petroleum can make your hair soft and pliable, but you better believe they aren't putting water in your hair.

Effective water-based moisturizers are so effective because they have water in them. I think the reason why they can work better for some people than just plain water is that commercial moisturizing products contain all sorts of other things that are beneficial to your hair, often including oils. These mixes always have emulsifiers in them so you can get your oil and water in one go, plus the benefits of botanicals or whatever else is in your product.

I personally fare best with just water and jojoba to seal it in. The one exception being when I straighten my hair, when I use Profectiv Mega Moisturizer (Long N Healthy) since I obviously can't douse my hair with water and expect it to stay straight. Again, LNH, although it has "Moisturizer" in the name isn't technically a moisturizer proper, because it does not contain water. It has as its base a humectant (glycerin), which draws water in--so it's sort of a roundabout moisturizer :lol:

Thank you for this post! Great info! I think that spritzing with water and sealing with jojoba oil is great.

Back