So is EVERYONE using a Sulfur Mix?

Kamilla16

I've been reading tons of threads about Sulfur growth aid mixes ( I know I'm LATE :look:) and was wondering if everyone uses some type of sulfur. I've never used any type of growth aids and get about .5" of growth per month. My question is... did it really increase your growth rate? what are you using? and how often did you have to use it? I'm debating on adding this to my regimen, because I need maybe 5-6" this year to reach my goals! TIA :grin:

Nope, not everyone uses it. Some people are allergic to sulfur compounds (like myself). The only sulfur in my body comes from foods, like broccoli. I can't use any type of sulfur product (like Sulfur 8) or sulfur powder. It does seem to work for many, though.

Sidenote: If you get 1/2 an inch a month, why do you need it to reach your goals?

I don't. I've tried two different sulfur based growth aids consistently with no extra growth. It didn't work for me, but I've seen crazy results for others.

I tried it a couple of times but it gave me very bad headaches so I stopped. :nono: It was disappointing because when I saw the growth that NJOY got :thud: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=517805&highlight=njoy, I was hoping it would work for me. Oh well.

For the record: I was mixed 1/8 teaspoon of sublimed sulfur in 2 ounces of coconut and castor oil and some essential oils.

I know it was not the castor, coconut, or essential oils that caused the headache because I still use those with no problem.

Thanks ladies...

I don't think I NEED growth aids to get to my goals, It would just be a lot quicker.. My problem in the past was retention, so as soon as I get the hang of that my hair will TAKE OFF!

I wish I could use it! Last time I used sulfur I got 2 HUGE boils on my face and a bad rash on my neck. It just didn't agree with me.

I've seen people get up to 1" a month using Sulfur. Wish it was me!

I've tried using sulfur, but I just can't get past the smell. I've mixed EO's in it and I still smell the sulfur. I have seen some people get really good results (like NJOY) and then again I've seen some people who use it and their hair doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I would use it if it didn't smell so bad.

I think retention is alot of peoples problem. I just started using a sulfur mix in the past month and all I can say is wow. I made a thread about my NG five weeks post and it is crazy thick. I mix my own though and just use essential oils so far no bad reaction.

I got pretty good growth from using sulfur but stopped using it because I got tired of the messiness of it. Mainly, it tarnishes all of my silver jewelry and I got tired of the smell on my pillow cases and stuff. I keep saying I'm going to start using it again but if I do it will be closer to wash day and not every day.

And I am focusing more on retaining length now because all the growth I got with sulfur meant nothing since my ends were obviously breaking and I couldn't see the growth compared to how much NG I had.

This is my first winter as a natural, and during the summer (my first as a natural) I got about .75" per month. I started using my sulfur mix in November, but before then I was thinking I was averaging about .5" per month since it's gotten colder. I'm getting closer to .75" (maybe a little more) per month since starting the sulfur, but I'm not sure I can attribute all of it to just the sulfur.

Slight additions to my reggie, outside of sulfur, since the colder months: more ceramides, more mild protein treatments, consistent multi-vitatmin use.

So, one of these 4 is contributing to my increased retention. I *think* I can attribute most of it to the sulfur use, though. In any event, I plan to keep using my mix.

I don't think everyone is on the sulfur train, or uses growth aids of some kind. I actually think most people don't use any growth aids... :think:

That would make a nice poll. Someone should start a poll to get some real info on the usage of growth aids or sulfur mixes.

side note: NJoy's progress is truly amazing and inspirational!

I use sulfur. It has helped me grow hair in my thin crown area. I get a decent amount of growth with it - nothing crazy but nice!

For those that don't like the smell, I mixed a bit of perfume OIL (you can't use regular perfume) with it and my carrier oils. Smells yummy now!

I said I would, but I haven't. When I did as a relaxed head, the best one for me was Growth Specifics' Boundless Tresses. I've been wanting to revisit it but I never made it around to it.

I'm not either. Just letting my hair do it's own thang. No growth aids! I'm not against them, just don't use them.

I am using a sulfur mix and I started using on 12/21/10. I take pics every 30 days and I have retained 2 inches in 2 months! I am definitely a believer! I am praying that I consistently get this growth all year so that I can reach my goals really fast. You should definitely give it a shot. :yep:

I am using a sulfur mix and I started using on 12/21/10. I take pics every 30 days and I have retained 2 inches in 2 months! I am definitely a believer! I am praying that I consistently get this growth all year so that I can reach my goals really fast. You should definitely give it a shot. :yep:

Do you know what your growth rate was before the sulfur? Ya'll making a girl curious...:spinning:

To answer the question, I'm currently using it. I'm not into growth aids but I've seen some nice results with some of the ladies. Plus I need a boost...seems like I've been stuck between APL and BSL for ever :perplexed.

I had been using it but I didn't notice a huge difference. Plus its messy and smells bad. I should mix in some EOs...I have an entire bottle of sublimed sulfur just sitting here

I take MSM supplement for my joints, hair and skin and occasionally apply it to a patch of my scalp in the crown that has started giving me dematitis or eczema...not sure. But it soothes it and stops that scaling. This is where I have damage and short pieces. I need to be diligent with it.

From what I've heard all through my life, Sulfur 8 or some kind of "mange" helps hair growth. I think it makes the scalp healthier, exfoliates it and promotes growth. Something about cysteine or other. I'd try it.

sorry to ask such adumb question, but what are you mixing the sulfer with , shampoo con or your daily sprays or mixes? Duck and run out lol

sorry to ask such adumb question, but what are you mixing the sulfer with , shampoo con or your daily sprays or mixes? Duck and run out lol

Sulfur has to be mixed with an oil and applied to scalp only. It's drying if applied to hair.

I occassionally use my concoction of sublimed sulfur, jbco, & EVCO. Maybe use it 4x a month if i'm ambitious. :lol: Need to step it up to see if there is any benefit. Just want to see if I can speed up growth so I can chop:grin:

I am not.

I don't think I need so-called "growth aids" to grow my hair, so I don't make room for them in my life.

The best hair growth aid IMO is living a healthy lifestyle (eating right, exercising/staying fit, sleeping enough, etc)--and I don't always do that, so you can see just how "devoted" I am to growth aids.

I tried the sulfur bandwagon so I could get out of my TWA stage faster, but it was really drying to my hair since my hair was so short... I did it for about a month consistently and didn't see any different results. maybe I'll try it once I hit a year and have some length, but my hair grows pretty fast enough as it is... i'll just let my hair be and keep taking my vitamins and exercising.

i've been using Claudie's Elixir and Diamactious(sp?) Earth and I guess i'm getting good growth...IDK i'm not paying much attention, lol.

Do you know what your growth rate was before the sulfur? Ya'll making a girl curious...:spinning:

My growth rate was slightly less than half an inch in some parts of my head and even .25 in a small area in the front. I know this is definitely helping me. I encourage you to give it a try and make sure your hair is very well moisturized as well to prevent dryness. :yep:

Back