Silicones are my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Love Them my favorite Conditioner has them and my hair is just slippy slipp slippery when I rinse :lick:

KhandiB said:
Motions Moisture Plus ... Its sooooo silky :lol:

Oooh that's your favorite? I picked up a tube this month at Sally's. :D

I have tried to wean myself off of cones but it's just no use. I cannot go completely cone free. :nono:

I have greatly reduced my use of them though, since I henna, it already serves as a "coating" for my hair. But I loooove using my cone laden prodcucts on wet hair after washing. For me cones don't lock out moisture, because since I don't towel dry, I feel they seal in nature's best moisturizer, water, into my hair. Here are my favorite silicone products: :drunk:

Rusk Smoother: An excellent leave-in conditioner
Fantasia IC Serums: I have the pink Heat Protecting one and I just purchased the Olive Oil one, love 'em!
Beyond the Zone Turn Up the Heat Spray: A water free silicone based spray excellent for heat protection.

I even recently purchased a small bottle of Redken Heat Glide and that's got cones too, I'm sure I'll love it! :dizzy:

Im going to buy a tub of it.. its great.. this weekend, I conditioned for 15 minutes and started rinsing, mad because I for got to detangle and when I was done rinsing, the comb just slid through my hair..

Thank You CRLSWEETIE912!!

Priestess said:
Oooh that's your favorite? I picked up a tube this month at Sally's. :D

KhandiB said:
Im going to buy a tub of it.. its great.. this weekend, I conditioned for 15 minutes and started rinsing, mad because I for got to detangle and when I was done rinsing, the comb just slid through my hair..

Thank You CRLSWEETIE912!!

Your welcome Khandi! :rosebud:
Another conehead checking in!!!!:D

silicones made my hair look really shiny and healthy even when it was not
the silicones hid a lot of damage that had been done to my hair
by the time I realized how bad my hair was damaged it was too late it was falling out faster than I could correct the problem
I had to cut it all of and start over from scratch :eek:

now I choose products that have water soluble cones or are cone free

KhandiB said:
Motions Moisture Plus ... Its sooooo silky :lol:

Hmmm.....:scratchch

I used this a couple of years ago on my daughter and it made her hair soooo soft and silky also...... BSS here I come:ohwell: :rofl:

Darn PJism :spinning: :lol:

scorpian said:
silicones made my hair look really shiny and healthy even when it was not
the silicones hid a lot of damage that had been done to my hair
by the time I realized how bad my hair was damaged it was too late it was falling out faster than I could correct the problem
I had to cut it all of and start over from scratch :eek:

now I choose products that have water soluble cones or are cone free

This is very true, it helped me when I started my journey and couldn't understand why my hair was still breaking. I've learned that I have to put all of the right products on my hair before using my cones, because I use a lot of them.:grin:

I feel kind of dumb because I was using Design Essentials hair serum and my hair always had volume and shine. I stopped using my hair serums because I read on a thread here that they coat the hair and prevent moisture from getting to your strands. I've been having light breakage ever since. I still have the DE bottle. I think I'll start using it again when I flat iron...which is only like 2 or 3 times a month.

Thanks for this thread!

Yes!..rivas Silicon Mix conditioner is my friend:D . I have been transitioning since Dec '05, and I couldn't have done it without cones, and a few other products. BUt just being able to comb through my hair after I shower and style it is keeping me from breaking down and relaxing(oh and losing face with my sister)

Cayenne0622 said:
I feel kind of dumb because I was using Design Essentials hair serum and my hair always had volume and shine. I stopped using my hair serums because I read on a thread here that they coat the hair and prevent moisture from getting to your strands. I've been having light breakage ever since. I still have the DE bottle. I think I'll start using it again when I flat iron...which is only like 2 or 3 times a month.

Thanks for this thread!

Cayenne0622, you must remember, just because some ladies on the forum have a problem with doesn't mean you will. If you've been taking care of your hair (deep conditioners, leave-ins, conditioner washes, etc.) before applying the serum and you "NO" problems, then there's no reason for you to stop using it. If I were to follow everyone's advice, I would be in th PJ coocoo house :spinning: :spinning: :spinning: by now:lol:

When I first came to the board and all of the opinions came, I jumped on it like a monkey:lol: I found what worked for me and stuck with it:grin: Some ladies had bad reviews about the cones, while my hair was still loving it. It's been almost three years and not a problem yet (knock on wood):D

lisajames96 said:
Yes!..rivas Silicon Mix conditioner is my friend:D . I have been transitioning since Dec '05, and I couldn't have done it without cones, and a few other products. BUt just being able to comb through my hair after I shower and style it is keeping me from breaking down and relaxing(oh and losing face with my sister)

I'm glad you're having great results with the silicone mix. I was supposed to try it for the 1st time last night, but had to study. I will try it tomorrow night. I hope it works well for me.:grin:

luvlonghair said:
I'm glad you're having great results with the silicone mix. I was supposed to try it for the 1st time last night, but had to study. I will try it tomorrow night. I hope it works well for me.:grin:

I hope it works for you:) .
I got a bit of advice from another member last year, to leave it on longer than the directions say. I think it says 2 or 5 minutes. I put it on and step out of the shower for awhile, then rinse it out/detangled my hair. But I didn't do this when I first tried it, try it as the direction say first, then you may decide to leave it in longer...
-lisa

Last edited:
Do cones do anything to moisturize your hair or strengthen it long-term?

I have avoided cones ever since I found this site two years ago. I think I decided they were bad for my hair because that's what I had read. My hair was in bad shape from being taken for granted but I don't remember cones being a specific culprit. my hair is in a lot better shape now, plus I'm practically natural now so I need to find a way to control these waves if I ever want to wear my hair out again. :lol: I think I am going to start experimenting with products containing cones again.

Back