Silicon Mix: Moisturizer or Protein?

Is Silicon Mix a Moisturizer or a Protein?

• Total voters

Ms. Plain Jane

Excuse me for beating what appears to be a dead horse, but:

Is Silicon Mix a moisturizing product or a protein product?

It detangles, hyrdrates, and mositurizes my hair. It doesn't make my hair feel "hard" or "strong" like most protein products seem to do. However, in reading the ingredients, it contains two "cones" plus keratin.

So. Is Silicon Mix a Mositurizer, a protein, or a sick and twisted combo?

I woudl call it more or a detangler/rinse vs a moisturizer or protien. I say this because it is filled with mineral oils and silicones; not much to help the health of hair.

That being said, I am not knocking the product, that stuff is the only conditioner that provides crazy slip to my hair. I bring it as a back up to Salons if they put something in my hair and that comb is not gliding.

It is a mixture of both protein and moisture. It really helps with detangling especially in the later weeks of the relaxer cycle. I used this with my last rollerset and it make my hair feel strong and protected but not really moisturized. It seems like my hair has a protective coating on the strands.

It is a mixture of both protein and moisture. It really helps with detangling especially in the later weeks of the relaxer cycle. I used this with my last rollerset and it make my hair feel strong and protected but not really moisturized. It seems like my hair has a protective coating on the strands.

I used it last night after not using it for a long time and I was wondering if it's a protein or a moisturizer too.
My hair feels the same way too. It's strong, but not soft at all. After it's dried, it's silky and bouncy and easy to detangle but doesn't feel soft. I like the results though. I'm going to keep using this for rollersets.

I agree it makes mine soft, but not shiny or strong...i might be posting mine for sale, I think its too many cones for my hair's taste!

Its a light/moderate protein conditioner. Hope that makes sense:look:

In othere words, the third choice...a sick combo. My hair :love: it!

At first I didn't like silicone mix because I couldn't tell if it was doing anything for me besides detangling, then I tried mixed with my beloved Porosity Control and it worked like a charm. I'm still on the fence to see if it's truly moisturizing or not but my combination really does soften and detangle like a dream.

At first I didn't like silicone mix because I couldn't tell if it was doing anything for me besides detangling, then I tried mixed with my beloved Porosity Control and it worked like a charm. I'm still on the fence to see if it's truly moisturizing or not but my combination really does soften and detangle like a dream.

What's Porosity Control, what does it do, and when should it be used?

I woudl call it more or a detangler/rinse vs a moisturizer or protien. I say this because it is filled with mineral oils and silicones; not much to help the health of hair.

That being said, I am not knocking the product, that stuff is the only conditioner that provides crazy slip to my hair. I bring it as a back up to Salons if they put something in my hair and that comb is not gliding.

This accured to me as well. Silicone can make the hair feel moisturized, but it means nothing if it doesn't have moisturizing ingredients. I think sometimes we confuse soft or moisturized FEELING hair with hair that's actually been moisturized, which IMO two different things.
I tried the Silicon Mix a very long time ago, and I don't think I remember liking it very much. IIRC, it left my hair feeling coated.

What's Porosity Control, what does it do, and when should it be used?

I hope I explain it properly... I use Roux Porosity Control Corrector which is a conditioner that states to be used before and after chemical services, but you can use it anytime. I like to mix it with alot of conditioners I use to make them moisturize, detangle, and just generally work better.

Interesting old post bumped...I tried it for the first time I think like 2 years ago, and for me it totally felt like protein. My hair was so strong and seemed to thicken, it was sort of soft, but I didn't get that extreme softening/slip experience that so many have with SM. I remember thinking I would only use it as a protein, but I still have most of the jar in my stash. Maybe I'll revisit.....hmmmm

Back