Significant Others and Natural Hair

Klearli

Does anyone else have a significant other that likes your natural hair, but constantly complains that your addicted to hair products/hair maintenance?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Long Hair Care Forum App

My SO likes my natural hair, but he supports my product and hair maintenance addiction :look: wow reading that makes me sound like a crackhead :lol:

Is your SO complaining about your products and hair maintenance? If so, Why??

Natural as in not relaxed or natural as in real hair no weave/wigs?

Lol, both. When he first met me I was transitioning, and I wore wigs all the time. But now I wear various non relaxed styles (still trying to figure out what works in my hair)...last week he complained I spent our QT under a hair dryer deep conditioning, and tonight he tried to convince the grocery store employees to have an intervention with me as I bought (yet another) conditioner. I mean it was funny, but I just had to see if other ppl had this problem!

My SO likes my natural hair, but he supports my product and hair maintenance addiction :look: wow reading that makes me sound like a crackhead :lol:

Is your SO complaining about your products and hair maintenance? If so, Why??

I'm starting to get a huge collection of stuff...I've only been totally relaxer free since july/august. He thinks I could be more economical in my hair product choices, although he did buy me hair stuff for christmas ( a diffuser and hooded blow dryer)

My DH wasn't a wig fan. He always told me that he loved my hair and hates wigs. He never expressed a love for long hair, he just loves real hair.

When I met him I wore a sew in. He told me I fooled him. I had to school him on a few things about my hair. I never actively tried grow hair until recently. Once I explained my goals to him he realized why I wore my wigs as protective style and he finally came around. But what really changed his mind was when I flat ironed my real hair and it was so much longer than he remembered....yeah I see him looking.

He understands now. I compromise though and wear my hair out on the weekends sometimes. But now I'm not flat ironing until I get my next relaxer which will probably be in April (6 month stretch) so he will really have to get used to my girls (wigs).

DH doesn't mention anything about my products or maintenance because there is no reason to. What I buy with my money is my business. As long as all of the household bills are paid and there is money in the bank, we don't interfere with each other's "fun money." My hair products and hair maintenance is my hobby. It relaxes me. I like to look good and he likes me to look good. So it's a win win.

He jokes but doesn't complain. I know he loves seeing my real hair getting healthier and longer. When we met, I wore really long extensions and my real hair was SO damaged. He loves putting his hands in my hair without feeling tracks. He's the one that's encouraged me to continue to transition to natural.

Also, I'm a stay at home mom of 2 and I don't get a lot of time for myself. He knows taking care of my hair is fun and important to me. He buys me whatever I need. Love him.

mmh, nah, he loves me with my natural hair, he also calls me his nubian princess :grin:
but no complains, because he likes when I do him some scalp massages and masks(he also want to grow his hair out :yawn: )

My SO loves my natural hair. I haven't had any product junky moments around him so it hasn't been an issue for him. But he hates LHCF which is funny to me because I'm not even on here like that.

SO loves my natural hair, he only gets grrrr when I am in the middle of doing my hair and things are ALL OVER the bathroom.

My hubby teases me about always changing my hair, or creating hair concoctions and mixing products up, and also my addiction to YT videos and LHCF, but he wants me to grow my hair long almost as much as I do, so he never discourages me. He seems to think my "hobby" is cute and endearing.

He wasn't too happy yesterday though, when I was putting in my crochet braids and he wanted some nookie. I had to kick him in the thigh because he kept trying to take advantage while I was busy with my hands in my hair :lachen:. He hates having to wait for hours while I finish doing my hair.

He loves my natural hair and playing in it but he hates how much time I spend on LHCF and watching YT videos (which isn't even that much... IMO:look:) but I think he's secretly infatuated with my hair journey too. He even tried to learn to braid (fail) :lachen:

My SO loves natural hair, HATES WIGS even if they look nice on me. Doesn't fancy weaves but loves my own hair wether relaxed or natural. The other day i stopped by his office and i had made sure i culed my hair really nice in the morn knowing i was gonna see him after leaving work so anyway we're sitting down talking and out of the blue he says, "babe long hair suits you, it's really pretty on you". Another time i text him asking if he would go out with me rocking a fro. He said babe doesn't matter if it's long or short i'd still love you anyway. I think he prefers it long tho.

My DH actually encouraged me to go natural. He prefers long natural hair, but he's not picky either -- as long as I grew it, he's fine. :grin:

Now, he doesn't understand why I "watch people doing their hair" on YT. he's starting to come around to me being on LHCF (which I feel isn't that much :look:).

My hubby loves my natural hair especially since I don't spend as much money with my natural hair care in comparison to when I was relaxed. The only thing he ask is a heads up when I'm going to twist my hair since it takes me 2-4 hours dependent on the size of my twists. Now we'll watch movies together during my twisting time.

TY
My hubby teases me about always changing my hair, or creating hair concoctions and mixing products up, and also my addiction to YT videos and LHCF, but he wants me to grow my hair long almost as much as I do, so he never discourages me. He seems to think my "hobby" is cute and endearing.

He wasn't too happy yesterday though, when I was putting in my crochet braids and he wanted some nookie. I had to kick him in the thigh because he kept trying to take advantage while I was busy with my hands in my hair :lachen:. He hates having to wait for hours while I finish doing my hair.

Lol, so I asked my boyfriend if he thought my hair habit was 'cute' and 'endearing'. There was a pause. Then he was like, "well babe your hair is cute..." I think the only thing that makes him like it is that I promised not to cut my hair anymore for the next five years. And he likes the curls. Sometimes I think I push it...like when I made him pour over peoples pictures with me to find my "hair twin". Or when I read the ingredients of 5 conditioners when we went to the store for a tomato...

My ex liked my hair but he said I spent too much time doing hair stuff. Sometimes he wouldn't let me go to the hair aisle in Whole Foods or the grocery store. One time he literally picked me up in WF to keep me from going to the aisle (which would have taken all of two minutes). Um yea. I dumped him, I love Izzy more.

my SO and I will be moving in together in March and I forsee this happening. he already knows good and well i'm beauty crazed though...lol

I'm the first natural the hubster has dated. He supports my journey and hands over the debt card too!

He looooves my natural hair and even gets into the products, asking me things like "what do I use for my scalp itching?" or "what do I use to lay down my hair?" He was devastated when I got a BoBraz sew-in just because it wasn't mine :laugh:, but that is the only thing he really voiced a strong opinion about. When I straighten my hair he doesn't like it as much as when it's curly, but he loves a pic of me from when I had bangs, so I let him take me to get them cut again and now he's content.

Back