Showed my aunt this site, she said theres no darkskin women with long hair so give up

Re: Showed my aunt this site, she said theres no darkskin women with long hair so giv

You'll have to make sure to bring this thread back up when you reach your hair care goals because I know your family members will be hatin' on you.

Re: Showed my aunt this site, she said theres no darkskin women with long hair so giv

You'll have to make sure to bring this thread back up when you reach your hair care goals because I know your family members will be hatin' on you.

I will, im pretty sure the update will be uneventless though, because you know she will probally act like she doesnt see anything.

Gym....you are craaaazzzzzy! Thanks for the laughs!:lachen::lachen:Your a fool.
Ima use that "wrote it down for you 3 years ago" (even though i hope its sooner than 3 years and i will help her right after is ay it)

Sleek, Enchantment & Neon---i really am not showing the lady anything else ( but i will look all up in your fotki neon:look: :yep: :grin:)

Thanks Lyn, and i will see yoooouu at waist length too!!

i'm speechless: it would have too everyonce in my body and the lord not to slap her in her face: :hardslap:

And it did. I wanted to donky kick her in the head.

SMDH....forgive her for she knows not what she does. LOL. I am dark and I have grown my hair out...my hair has been barely shoulder length or shorter my whole life....now that I've grown my hair out its b/c my mother has 3b/c hair....WTF :nono::nono::nono:. Whatever my hair is (4a mostly) it was that 3 years ago when I was lookin a hot mess so whatever. /rant

My point is ....folks who always have something to say......ALWAYS have something to say...I wouldn't bother trying to prove anything to her. Just do you.

I've tried to help so many people and they act like they are interested then never follow up, then 6 months later they want to know what I'm doing....:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Do they remember that you've tried to tell them already? Do you just help them and not say anything else?

(Mini rant I guess...)
Ignorance and down right stupidity are the two things that make me lose my cool. But Being on this natural journey has helped me deal with them. I hate that your own family member would respond that way but it is what it is. When I decided to finally become natural the only support I had came from my boyfriend. Everyone else friends and family included tried to change my mind. My mother who has been natural her whole life, began perming her hair, then realized she didn't need to keep perming and is now growning it out, asked me continuously when are you going to perm that? Is this some phase your going through? Does this mean your going to stop showering?

But of course now she wants to know why her hair is so dry and what kind of quick fix can she use.

For another example just yesterday I was at work had my wash and go going on loving how long my hair has gotten, you know feel really good about myself. And I saw this man who looked like Ignorance Walking coming towards me and he says I like your hair what is that the nappy look or something? You bought it like that? Now 2years ago I would have gone ballastic but thanks to the Natural Journey 3000 I was able to calmly set him straight and send on his way. My co worker said I should have commented on his lack of teeth and poor clothing but why should I? Ignorance is Ignorance how you deal with it is what makes you a better person.

Wow, now the bolded is just ignorant!!! My family acted the same way towards me when I decided to go natural 3 years ago (I'm relaxed now). But anyways, I remember my mom and aunt saying: "Girl you betta get a perm, a perm is the best thing to ever happen to black folks, if someone gives you a choice between a perm and some money, you betta choose a perm..." So ignorant, I had to shake off plenty of family member like that.

Also after I got my relaxer, one of my other aunts commented on how pretty my hair was and how the stylist must have done some magic on my hair to turn it from, and I quote: "That nappy sh*t, into looking like a wig!" And now the longer my hair gets, the more excuses come up about why its getting that way---you know, the stylist doing magic, the supposed "good hair" on my dad's side of the family, the Indian, ya'll know, everything except the fact that I take good care of my hair!! I mean d*mn, give me some credit! lol So OP, don't feel bad, the ignorance is all around the globe, I've just learned to stop fighting it and ignore it!

And gymfreak, that was too hilarious!! :lachen:

I won't say that I "don't" help...I just say look on lhcf.com, whereas I used to talk to them about the regime and protein and moisture etc etc and write out a plan...I do none of that. Actually that is pretty much what I do with everyone and then I sit back and see how serious they are....so far no takers, save my sister.

I won't say that I "don't" help...I just say look on lhcf.com, whereas I used to talk to them about the regime and protein and moisture etc etc and write out a plan...I do none of that. Actually that is pretty much what I do with everyone and then I sit back and see how serious they are....so far no takers, save my sister.

My goodness:nono: I use to ask people with healthy/long hair all of the time what they did just praying they would give me some "secret" I would have been ALL OVER this site ALONG time ago if anyone had ever told me about it.

Theres just no helping some people yall.

My aunt was telling my mom (her sister) about how her hair was breaking and falling out, my mom told her your neice knows alot about hair, shes always in hair books/sites/stores.

So i went over her house, looked at her products and explained to her why certain ones were no-good, and some were keepers, explained to her how her hair should be, and what she needed to do ( her hair was really really dry) Wrote her 3 regimens, one for weaves, one for wearing her out, and the other for fake ponytails/buns she likes to wear. Then she asked me how i know all of this stuff, so i went back home ( she lives right next door :ohwell: , RIGHT next door :nono:), brought her Cathy Howse book, and wrote down blackhairmedia & longhaircareforum for her to see some progress pictures

After all of that work, she told me that i was wasting my time, and i wasted her time, because she didnt see "not one real black woman", she said they were all lightskinned, probally mixed with something or had good hair, ( and she said i got scammed with the cathy howse book) and that there was no way to tell that these people's hair was real, and that the longest a real black persons hair could grow was shoulderlength ect. ect.

It made me so mad because she tried to embarrass me in front of other relatives, she laughed at me, got all loud & everything.

That makes me even more determined to reach my APL goal by christmas for her and everyone else to see

It just sucks that people hold on to beliefs like that

I guess i'm not a real black woman :ohwell:

Last edited:

my mom told me this morning that most of the girls are mixed with something and that's why they can grow long. I was like whaaa?:perplexed

Wow that is really sad that some black women think this way!! As if every woman that is light skinned for one, has to be mixed with something, and for them to think that their hair cannot grow any longer that shoulder length!! Just plain sad. I had a white friend of mine ask me that before as well, about the growth, because thats what she believed as well...Prolly heard it from some poor black woman that didnt have these resources, or believe in them! I hope that all of us reach our growth not only for ourselves, but for the black women out there that do not have that hope or belief!!!

This would make me more determined to reach my hair goals! I hate it when someone tells me I can't and thankfully no one in my family has said such a thing because they know how long my hair can get and I am chocolate baby!!!!! Give me some time and I will have a picture for your auntie.....

i dont really talk hair with anyone either for the same reason

So there really is no winning with some folks. I did share what I know,but what I realize...some people want overnight success with their hair and it takes time and lots of TLC.

You summed it up nicely. Some folks don't understand that success comes before work only in the dictionary. Having a healthy hair requires plenty of TLC and hard work. You can't just treat your hair any kind of way.

I am dark if you couldn't tell and my stretched, straightened hair is APL.

Just when I think women are making progress, things like this bring me right back down to earth.:nono:

Theres just no helping some people yall.

My aunt was telling my mom (her sister) about how her hair was breaking and falling out, my mom told her your neice knows alot about hair, shes always in hair books/sites/stores.

So i went over her house, looked at her products and explained to her why certain ones were no-good, and some were keepers, explained to her how her hair should be, and what she needed to do ( her hair was really really dry) Wrote her 3 regimens, one for weaves, one for wearing her out, and the other for fake ponytails/buns she likes to wear. Then she asked me how i know all of this stuff, so i went back home ( she lives right next door :ohwell: , RIGHT next door :nono:), brought her Cathy Howse book, and wrote down blackhairmedia & longhaircareforum for her to see some progress pictures

After all of that work, she told me that i was wasting my time, and i wasted her time, because she didnt see "not one real black woman", she said they were all lightskinned, probally mixed with something or had good hair, ( and she said i got scammed with the cathy howse book) and that there was no way to tell that these people's hair was real, and that the longest a real black persons hair could grow was shoulderlength ect. ect.

It made me so mad because she tried to embarrass me in front of other relatives, she laughed at me, got all loud & everything.

That makes me even more determined to reach my APL goal by christmas for her and everyone else to see

It just sucks that people hold on to beliefs like that

Crazy mindset! I haven't read any other posts but the first one, but I must say that I'm darkskinned (see siggy) and I have APL hair now. I mean it's not "LONG" by my standards, but it's not short either.

I guess i'm not a real black women :ohwell:

Im sorry about that, and thats not the way i feel

GrowinPainz----i guess we are in it together, my mom doesnt say anything outloud, and i believe she knows we can have pretty long hair, but i think she believes our hair cant grow as long as midback length or anything because when she sees the white women on the commercials with really long & shiny hair she always says "they have it so easy" or "they are so lucky". I can understand that because i used to think that also (that certain lengths were unatainable for even the average person regardless of race, and that certain lengths like waist and alittle shorter were purely genetic) But we'll show them:yep:

Here is what you do........Don't EVER mention hair again. Trust me. Don't talk about what you are learning or what you are doing. When people start going bald around you, don't offer help. Let your progress speak for you.

When I started here, my sisters thought I was crazy. They made jokes about it, told me it was dumb etc... Well now, they are the same ones who call and tell me to "Ask the board......". Over the past two years they have watch my hair totally transform. It looks like a whole different head of hair. I didn't start helping them until they asked me and even then if I felt that they would waste my time I wouldn't say anything. I bought one sister a year's subscription to the site and she never posted. Now, she is asking me to how to renew it:rolleyes: My father has even taken notice of my hair and he doesn't notice anything. If they make remarks about you and your hair journey just smile and act like you didn't hear them. When your hair hanging by your titties and they ask what you did, just say, I wrote it down for you 3 years ago.

LOL, this reminds me of my father. He is the same exact way. The first time he noticed my hair, he asked me where did I buy "that" from. I had to part scalp just to show him, that it was all mine. I understood though. This man has never in all my life seen my hair this long. And I certainly remember my own ignorance. I thought I just didnt have it in my (as opposed to the rest of my family) genes to have long hair. And being mixed or multiracial aint got a dern thing to do with it. People used to look at my family with all their long hair and ask me what the heck happened to me? That used to hurt me so bad...*smh* Now I know, I didnt miss out on no long hair gene :lol: I was all ME!

I'm just glad I know now. It aint skin, ethnicity or hair texture, it's how you learn to take care of and retain what is growing out of your head....I wish we all already knew this.

Crazy mindset! I haven't read any other posts but the first one, but I must say that I'm darkskinned (see siggy) and I have APL hair now. I mean it's not "LONG" by my standards, but it's not short either.

Don't let anyone tell you that you aren't beautiful. I love this new pic. you glow girl.:lachen:

LOL, this reminds me of my father. He is the same exact way. The first time he noticed my hair, he asked me where did I buy "that" from. I had to part scalp just to show him, that it was all mine. I understood though. This man has never in all my life seen my hair this long. And I certainly remember my own ignorance. I thought I just didnt have it in my (as opposed to the rest of my family) genes to have long hair. And being mixed or multiracial aint got a dern thing to do with it. People used to look at my family with all their long hair and ask me what the heck happened to me? That used to hurt me so bad...*smh* Now I know, I didnt miss out on no long hair gene :lol: I was all ME!

I'm just glad I know now. It aint skin, ethnicity or hair texture, it's how you learn to take care of and retain what is growing out of your head....I wish we all already knew this.

Oh, it's not just you and it really hurts when family members say things like that. My grandmother who has like 3a hair says, "Between your mother and your father, I don't know why your hair isn't long by now." Long to her is like MBL. She doesn't understand that my mother having a different texture than mine didn't know how to take care of my hair and neither did I. I grew up on my mother's side with, dark skin women who have very long mbl hair, like they used to compete when we were little about who had the longest hair, my cousins. So, I know for sure black women can grow long hair though they (my grams) would say it is just the "other" blood.
There is no way convincing some people. I say just let your hair speak for itself.:yep:

Don't let anyone tell you that you aren't beautiful. I love this new pic. you glow girl.:lachen:

Well thank you Chica! I certainly used to struggle with that :) The older I get, the more I grow to love what I see in the mirror (of course I still have my days! LOL!).

Well, I wish she could see all the women in my family and my husbands...LOL:grin:. She would surely 'shut her mouth' then! We have all types of women in our families...all different skin tones and all different hair textures but for the most part everyone is beautifully dark with thick beautiful hair past shoulder length. There are some who are natural and I'm sure they are past shoulder length if they were to relax. A few are BSL and a lot are APL. So I don't know what your aunt is talking about:nono:. It's a shame that people---black people---hold such ignorant beliefs about themselves and other black people.

A lot of people do sadly hold this belief. Even when you have shoulder length hair you get people asking if 'that is your hair'. I've been asked this a couple of times by complete strangers while shopping. One was where I had my hair pinned up in back and curly in front.:nono: Ignorance is bliss....LOL.

Back