Showed my aunt this site, she said theres no darkskin women with long hair so give up

fluffylocks

Theres just no helping some people yall.

My aunt was telling my mom (her sister) about how her hair was breaking and falling out, my mom told her your neice knows alot about hair, shes always in hair books/sites/stores.

So i went over her house, looked at her products and explained to her why certain ones were no-good, and some were keepers, explained to her how her hair should be, and what she needed to do ( her hair was really really dry) Wrote her 3 regimens, one for weaves, one for wearing her out, and the other for fake ponytails/buns she likes to wear. Then she asked me how i know all of this stuff, so i went back home ( she lives right next door :ohwell: , RIGHT next door :nono:), brought her Cathy Howse book, and wrote down blackhairmedia & longhaircareforum for her to see some progress pictures

After all of that work, she told me that i was wasting my time, and i wasted her time, because she didnt see "not one real black woman", she said they were all lightskinned, probally mixed with something or had good hair, ( and she said i got scammed with the cathy howse book) and that there was no way to tell that these people's hair was real, and that the longest a real black persons hair could grow was shoulderlength ect. ect.

It made me so mad because she tried to embarrass me in front of other relatives, she laughed at me, got all loud & everything.

That makes me even more determined to reach my APL goal by christmas for her and everyone else to see

It just sucks that people hold on to beliefs like that

Re: Showed my aunt this site, she said theres no darkskin women with long hair so giv

lol, its hard to get rid of that mindset.

I recently felt the same about fotkis because most I see with long bouncy hair are 3b/c or 4a I finding it hard to get 4bs:ohwell:

Still I find it funny she thinks the longest you can get is shoulder length, her eyes may pop out when you reveal BSL:lachen:

ETA: I forgot I had this thread, theres some "real" Black long hair on here. You should show her natural photos http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=136521

Last edited:
Re: Showed my aunt this site, she said theres no darkskin women with long hair so giv

Oh wow:wallbash: I would be extra determined to reach my goal too! There are a lot of naive people who think like this, though. So sad.

wow! I would have been mad if she played me like that in front of family. I'm sure there are plenty of darkskinned women here with hair past shoulder length. Give me another year and you can use me as an example :yep:. My family didn't really believe that I could grow my hair at all (of course they weren't as harsh as your aunt, but I could tell they didn't) and now they're all amazed and telling everybody about it and want me to help them. Just keep doing your thing and don't give up.

Girl do your thing so you can show her. It is sad at how many black women believe this. I was in the gas station a couple of months ago and there was this dark skinned sister in front of me with a beautiful head of healthy hair. It was obvious it was real. When she walked out one of the two ladies at the counter started talking about how pretty her how was and I agreed, the other ignorantly blurted out "You know that ain't real. Can't no black woman have hair like that.":rolleyes: I started to correct her but I just keep my mouth shut. It's a shame.

I would have laughed right back at her! The ignorance. Did you show her some of the feature of the month photos? Some of the ladies there have darker skin and have BEAUTIFUL hair!!!???

Damn, the propaganda machine has your aunt trained VERY well... Shes believing stuff she cant even prove.

Th best thing to do for her, is to grow your hair out to waist length asap, and shake it all around her and stuff.

Girl do your thing so you can show her. It is sad at how many black women believe this. I was in the gas station a couple of months ago and there was this dark skinned sister in front of me with a beautiful head of healthy hair. It was obvious it was real. When she walked out one of the two ladies at the counter started talking about how pretty her how was and I agreed, the other ignorantly blurted out "You know that ain't real. Can't no black woman have hair like that.":rolleyes: I started to correct her but I just keep my mouth shut. It's a shame.

LOL Oh my goodness. I would have corrected her. Why leave them walking around THAT ignorant?

That sounded like sheer jealousy. Mixed with a WHOLE lot of ignorance. People like that don't even make me angry anymore. I feel like, poor things, you just gotta teach them.

Oh wow:wallbash: I would be extra determined to reach my goal too! There are a lot of naive people who think like this, though. So sad.

ITA..I'm trying my best to help my mother n sisters out with they hair care. I just got her to the point of thinking her hair CAN grow pass shoulder length.

Did she not see the beautiful heads of natural hair? I know plenty of dark skinned women with gorgeous hair, my sister and grandma being two of them. Girl, you reach your goal, and when you do, wear your hair down and rock it like it's goin out of style! (then come back here and tell us how she was grovelling and begging for help with her hair :-D )

Last edited:

Unfortunately a lot of folks still feel this way.
I went home to visit my folks in June and told my family of my plans for reaching MBL or waistlength in the next year or so- and they just brushed me off. *note my hair was in full protection mode. The following day my mom and I(both natural) decided to try the maxi glide. We are both BSL and little extra in the back. So we went back over to my realtives and you know what they said- well you two have good hair(which I am sure we can all agree there is no such thing- just well kept hair).

So there really is no winning with some folks. I did share what I know,but what I realize...some people want overnight success with their hair and it takes time and lots of TLC. I've been on my journey since 7/05. I've surpassed my original goal of APL and headed to WSL(depending on how MBL++ looks on me).

I cant understand why people would think that complexion would have any thing to do with hair growth:ohwell:. I'm the lightest of my friends (although I dont consider myself light skinned), my two best friends are dark and my hair is the shortest of us.

:perplexed :nono:

I would have laughed right back at her! The ignorance. Did you show her some of the feature of the month photos? Some of the ladies there have darker skin and have BEAUTIFUL hair!!!???

Damn, the propaganda machine has your aunt trained VERY well... Shes believing stuff she cant even prove.

Th best thing to do for her, is to grow your hair out to waist length asap, and shake it all around her and stuff.

Thanks yall.

After the way she acted, i wish i would waste time trying to show her something else, i'll just let her see for herself like you said because thats the only way you really can show someone. LMAO at shake it all around her and stuff. :lachen:Im gonna be doing those commerical hair turns where the hair swings everywhere, dropping stuff and swinging my hair back really hard when i stand back , Stand in front of a fan so it can blow in the wind (Just kidding)

All the better reason to reach our goal. Seeing is believing
I bet she would brush it off as you having a white great-great-great grandmother or something

Did she not see the beautiful heads of natural hair? I know plenty of dark skinned women with gorgeous hair, my sister and grandma being two of them. Girl, you reach your goal, and when you do, wear your hair down and rock it like it's goin out of style! (then come back here and tell us how she was grovelling and begging for help with her hair :-D )

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Thanks. Alright:lachen::lachen:

I cant understand why people would think that complexion would have any thing to do with hair growth:ohwell:. I'm the lightest of my friends (although I dont consider myself light skinned), my two best friends are dark and my hair is the shortest of us.

I TRIED to explain to her the growth rate is 1/2 inch for everyone & why else would you need touchups if your hair didnt grow

I'm sorry to hear about this. Go on and prove your point sis! I wish she could see my family! Mixed races all up in this piece! Due to bad hair habits not a head among them longer than shoulder and my mother IS biracial herself. They all think I am delusional too. We'll see when I spring my APL hair on them next year! Hmmph! Do your thing! I'm right here with you.:grin:

I see you are a Taurus too! Don't they know we won't stop?? We are too stubborn!

Seeing is believing, so when you reach your goal, girl wear your hair out and don't even say a thing.

wow thats so sad. what does skin color have to do w/ it? my hair is as thick and coily as they come! i hope your aunt comes around!

Girl I support you 100% on your APL goal...you can & will do it :yep:! Some people still believe darkskin women can't have long hair or even be beautiful but of course we know that is not true.

I had a "friend" tell me that I need more white in me to wear my hair in a curly fro. WHich was my daily hairstyle:rolleyes: Many people have this attitude even if they see the hair in front their eyes. It all boils down to subconscious self hatred.

Takes time, patience, faith and diligence to grow long, healthy hair. I am such a hair scrutinizer these days...I check everyone's hair and it is sometimes hard to detect weaves anymore unless it blows from the roots in the wind.....so people believe long hair+
black woman=weave. I have just given up trying to help others grow their hair longer and in great health. I have bought products for relatives and a few co-workers. I've given them hair care tips, loaned books {still looking to get the books back!} but they soon drop by the wayside. Many claim my hair is different from theirs and grows quickly-bullcrap-my hair is the same as theirs!} I am so sad when they will not believe my advice...I want every black woman to have beautiful, long hair...but since they don't wanna do the do...hey....I'll just let them believe I'm "Hair special".

Honey, it is obvious that you are a sweet, good-hearted, generous person, so this may be hard for you. But some people are just negative or willingly ignorant to any truth that does not fit into their preconceived notions. You are happy with your hair journey so don't let anyone sully that for you. I won't even say swing your hair in front of them when you are APL and beyond. Swing it in the mirror for yourself and keep on going forward.:yep:

I am so sorry your Aunti feels this way. As long as she does she will never put forth the effort needed to reach her own full potential.

It would be funny if you could bring her to the LHCF convention, and let her see for herself all the ladies here.

As far as the comment people make, I hear the comments (that it cant be real) behind my back when I have my hair straight and down. If I wear it curly then that is proof that I "must not be all black." The stupid thing is I am just as dark as most of the people making the ignorant comments.

Some people seem to cling to ignorance.

Softresses

that's sad...you just can't help some people..."YOU CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER BUT YOU CAN'T MAKE HIM DRINK"

You just have to show some folks with your progress.

I'm mad that your auntie tried to put you on blast like that infront of the whole fam! Especially after you tried to help her.:nono: One of my main selling points when I tell people about this site is that we are REAL black women, growing our hair long and healthy. Some folks just don't wanna work that hard. You just make sure to swang that hair EXTRA hard when you hit that goal length!! And when she asks you how you did it, say something ignorant like, "Oh, it's only because I'm not a 'real' black woman.":lol:

Here is what you do........Don't EVER mention hair again. Trust me. Don't talk about what you are learning or what you are doing. When people start going bald around you, don't offer help. Let your progress speak for you.

When I started here, my sisters thought I was crazy. They made jokes about it, told me it was dumb etc... Well now, they are the same ones who call and tell me to "Ask the board......". Over the past two years they have watch my hair totally transform. It looks like a whole different head of hair. I didn't start helping them until they asked me and even then if I felt that they would waste my time I wouldn't say anything. I bought one sister a year's subscription to the site and she never posted. Now, she is asking me to how to renew it:rolleyes: My father has even taken notice of my hair and he doesn't notice anything. If they make remarks about you and your hair journey just smile and act like you didn't hear them. When your hair hanging by your titties and they ask what you did, just say, I wrote it down for you 3 years ago.

Theres just no helping some people yall.

My aunt was telling my mom (her sister) about how her hair was breaking and falling out, my mom told her your neice knows alot about hair, shes always in hair books/sites/stores.

So i went over her house, looked at her products and explained to her why certain ones were no-good, and some were keepers, explained to her how her hair should be, and what she needed to do ( her hair was really really dry) Wrote her 3 regimens, one for weaves, one for wearing her out, and the other for fake ponytails/buns she likes to wear. Then she asked me how i know all of this stuff, so i went back home ( she lives right next door :ohwell: , RIGHT next door :nono:), brought her Cathy Howse book, and wrote down blackhairmedia & longhaircareforum for her to see some progress pictures

After all of that work, she told me that i was wasting my time, and i wasted her time, because she didnt see "not one real black woman", she said they were all lightskinned, probally mixed with something or had good hair, ( and she said i got scammed with the cathy howse book) and that there was no way to tell that these people's hair was real, and that the longest a real black persons hair could grow was shoulderlength ect. ect.

It made me so mad because she tried to embarrass me in front of other relatives, she laughed at me, got all loud & everything.

That makes me even more determined to reach my APL goal by christmas for her and everyone else to see

It just sucks that people hold on to beliefs like that

That's so sad..there are dark women all over the world with hair for days. Some cultures grow it longer and some keep theirs cut short.

I know plenty of real black women, many of whom I worked with who have coarse black hair, or fine textured hair or a little of both and they had hair at MBL, so it can be done. Their secret: leave your hair alone, relax 2-3 times a year only, don't have a whole lot of hands in your hair, always remember the good things your mom did for your hair that works.
There are always going to be hair hater mentality folks out there who insist that you have to have one drop of white blood in you to have long hair and that is an ignorant mindset. Just do the white girl "swang" the next time you see them and don't say nothing. Let your progress be you billboard. Maybe and only maybe when they realize your long hair is not an accident and stop doing things that cause their hair to be :lyed, dyed, and fried to the side they will will wake up:yep:

Back