Should I use heat protectant w/a hooded dryer?

Ms Lala

I am going to start rollersetting my hair more in place of blowdrying. I plan to apply a leave-in after washing and want to know if it would be helpful to use a heat protectant also. Has anyone tried this? I hate setting lotions, cremes, and foams so I will not be using any of those.

I think it's safer to use a heat protectant anytime you use heat on your hair. I have a hooded dryer (but it's in storage) and a BaByliss Thermal Ionic. With either of those, I always made sure to use products that contained silicones since they protect your hair the best when using heat. I would especially use some type of protectant with hooded dryers because the heat is continually blowing all over your head evenly (unlike when you use a regular dryer and have to move it from spot to spot).

Last edited:
Never thought about using it with a hooded dryer but why not? Its still heat I guess, even if it is not as intense as other forms. I might have to start doing this. I think I might try the mizani serum or vo5 heat protect spray.

I rollerset my hair often and I always use a leave-in plus I use KeraCare setting lotion diluted with water and my sets always come out soft not hard.

Ms Lala said:
Thanks. What heat protectant did you use?
Well, when I would sit under my hooded dryer, I just used the Motions Oil Moisturizer since it's supposed to protect against heat. But now I use Nexxus Heat Protexx as well as Garnier Sleek and Shine Weightless Anti-Frizz Serum (which contains silicones, of course :)). Next time I use my hooded dryer, I will just use the Nexxus and Garnier products for heat protection.

navsegda said:
Well, when I would sit under my hooded dryer, I just used the Motions Oil Moisturizer since it's supposed to protect against heat. But now I use Nexxus Heat Protexx as well as Garnier Sleek and Shine Weightless Anti-Frizz Serum (which contains silicones, of course :)). Next time I use my hooded dryer, I will just use the Nexxus and Garnier products for heat protection.

ok, so my ORS olive oil lotion is supposed to protect from heat also so I can just use that. I will try it and see how it works.

This is a good question that I never really gave much thought. I guess because usually when I am under the hooded dryer I am dcing. I plan to start rollersetting so I will need to find a good heat protectant also

I never thought about it. I just thought if it was indirect heat that my hair would be fine. Now I can see using it with blowdrying of flat-ironing since its direct heat. But its a thought, though

I usually just use a leave in, but now I have added a serum, and its much softer/smooth but a bit heavier than before. Its the Giovanni direct leave in and Giovanni Frizz Be gone serum. I have pics in my november/washing process album.

I use a leave-in (Salerm 21) and a heat protectant on occassion (Fantasia IC Heat Protectant in the spray form).

I thought the heat protectant would weight my hair down, but it did not. I figure it can't hurt.

OneInAMillion said:
I use a leave-in (Salerm 21) and a heat protectant on occassion (Fantasia IC Heat Protectant in the spray form).

I thought the heat protectant would weight my hair down, but it did not. I figure it can't hurt.

It's good to know it doesn't weigh the hair down. I'm going to try it then and see how it works.

I also use heat protector when rollersetting. I use a leave-in & serum after my shampoo and sometimes use Keracare wrap/setting foam. After I've completed my set, I spray it with Nexxus heat protector. It comes out soft and it smells sooooo good.:)

I've never thought about using a heat protectant with my hood dryer. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry... So I will start using a heat protectant when using any type of heat.

Ms Lala said:
I am going to start rollersetting my hair more in place of blowdrying. I plan to apply a leave-in after washing and want to know if it would be helpful to use a heat protectant also. Has anyone tried this? I hate setting lotions, cremes, and foams so I will not be using any of those.

I do, after I roll my hair, I spray it (while the rollers are in) wih Nexxus Heat Protexx or V05 Miracle mist then proceded nder the dryer. Doesn't leave a trace of residue and I fugure it won't hurt!

I always use a heat protectant with a hooded dryer. (And I even sometimes use it when I'm not using heat, I think I just like the way it works on my hair). I say, its better to be on the safe side and slather on some heat protectant. Even tho its not direct heat, its still heat, so protecting your hair wouldnt hurt. HTH! :)

I have been rollersetting and drying under a very hot hood dryer weekly for years and I never used an heat protection. Maybe this is due to the easy nature of my hair, but I never observed any damage from the hood dryer heat (unlike the blow dryer)

Back