Should I just trim this? (pic)

Should I trim

• Yes, trim now

Votes: 135 57.0%
  • No, do not trim under any circumstances

Votes: 27 11.4%
  • Wait see if your shorter hair catches up then decide (tell me how long to wait)

Votes: 75 31.6%

• Total voters

princessnad

Ok guys. So I had this really bad breakage last winter in the middle of the back of my head. I trimmed the area and now it is really strong and healthy but shorter than the rest. BTW that area is naturally less dense than the rest of my hair. My problem is that there is a huge gap in the nape still (because I didn't cut the surrounding healthy hair). :ohwell:

I don't wear my hair down very often and I hear that in many people that area grows faster than the rest so I was thinking that maybe I will let it catch up with the rest. But sometimes when I see pics of myself then I see pics of beautiful, even hair some of you ladies have I get so discouraged.

So my question is: Should I just cut my hair even? The gap is pretty bad... pics attached

Attachments

• hair 006.jpg
    hair 006.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 643
I know how you feel, this is why i i cut my hair the other day, i had a gap in the middle, much bigger than yours tho...maybe you could dust it just a bit..

I am usually anti-scissors but if you're going to wear your hair down
I say yes... cut it...
that or wear it curly so it's not as noticeable.
I think you will eventually have to trim it for it to be even...
you jut have to decide now or later.

Thanks. I wear it up mostly. I wonder if that area will catch up if it grows faster than the rest. hhmmm

Ok ladies, there is a poll. Please vote.

I think that since your hair is up all the time anyway, wait and see if that area fills in. It does happen, I know for a fact. You'll have to keep that area moist though, handle it gently and dc often. Well that's how I did it. Wait maybe 3 months and then check at your next retouch and see if it's starting to fill in. If you really need it to be even then cut it for your own peace of mind.

I am so scissor happy but am learning not to be. You can continue protective styles, and baby your hair a few months then trim it. But if it is damaged and it is only going to get worse...trimmy trim trim. However...if you cut your hair in a U shape you won't be cutting that much off.

The gap is really not that bad. The fullness at the hem is larger than the gap. Nothing that a few half-inch dustings for the next few months won't cure!! :look:

your hair is beautiful, Since you don't wear your hair down, I would say hold on to your length and wait and see if that nape will grow out. You seem to be doing everything right to have gotten it back healthy---I have the same problem with that area in the back and it is aggrevating. i'm in the process of healing my hair in that area so I know there is hope, looking at yours and knowing you got it back healthy and strong

I say no:nono:...allow your hair to grow out before u touch the ends with scissors,unless u r S&D'ing...keep it in a bun/hide it if u don't like the ends:yep:

Hair decision, if you wear it down and it botheres YOU, then you should cut it. However if it dosen't bothere you, then leave it alone. You gain so much lenght. Its pretty. But then again if it doen't catch up, then you will eventually have to cut it.

I had a lot of breakage and unevenness from my first stretch. I just left it alone, kept my hair bunned, and it eventually caught up. It took about 4-6 months for it to catch up:yep:

I say leave it alone at least for a few months. Just keep your hair up and take care of those ends! :D

I say wait it out for two to three months and see how it does. It's healthy and you wear your hair up mostly anyways.

If you plan on wearing your hair down from time to time, you may want to even it out a bit. If you mostly bun, wait until you get to a length that you are comfortable with, then trim. Eventually with regular dusting though, it will end up more even I think. Even if it takes a couple years :perplexed

I am strongly suggest u to keep that hair in a bun until it grows back again then u can trim itu shaped then it should b okay. Keep take care of it and keep it moisturize it.

Yep what the other said. Bun it or wear protective styles for a while and then see what comes of it.

Its not that bad.

OP, do you have natural hair? I'm only asking because if you wear it curly you won't be able to notice its uneven.

My hair was very uneven at the beginning of the year. I didn't trim, let it grow, and it finally caught up. I wear my hair in ponytails 90% of the time anyway. Today I have it down straight and its not noticeable anymore.

Give it 6 months and then trim if you think you still need it.

This is what I say... I say trim now and keep it bunned for a while. I read in somewhere that the shorter hair will never catch up to the larger hair so it will always be uneven until you even it yourself with a trim or dust. If you don't like looking at it then it's totally up to you. Although I really didn't want to do it, I have been trimming/dusting my ends for the last two weeks to even my ends out and they are looking so much better. My ends were thinning and had become see-thru, at first I was like ok what am I going to do, then I thought WTH, so I started trimming a little at a time.. I have been keeping my hair in a bun with the ends baggied and I feel so much better about my ends... HTH

Trim it. You shouldn't have to feel like u need to hide your hair because of something so small. It will grow babk. Cut it and enjoy having a full even head of hair. I had the same problem and i played catch up FOREVER! I hated my hair during that time. It wasn't worth it.

I am in a similiar situation. My right side is just about apl, my left is nowhere near. I am just trying to be patient. I think I will have it cut even in the spring whether I make full apl or not. It's frustrating isn't it?

Thanks for posting this. I am in this same boat. I notice that so many of us have a problem with the left side (some posted this). Mine is worse on the left side. Right now I refuse to cut it to be even with that part becuz my hair would just be too short. As of this week I have decided to do more protective styles & drench that section with moisture. I am trying to think of creative ways to style so I don't die of boredom.

Then when it gets an accepable length I will have to find someone to trim a tad. Allandra is right---blunt ends are beautiful!

OT: Has anyone ever thought of wearing one of those LHCF measuring shirts to the salon & saying I don't want my hair cut above this line?

I voted yes, but only if you wear your hair down & straight. If not, I say bun or wear it curlier so it will be less noticeable and see if it will grow out.

your hair is beautiful, Since you don't wear your hair down, I would say hold on to your length and wait and see if that nape will grow out. You seem to be doing everything right to have gotten it back healthy---I have the same problem with that area in the back and it is aggrevating. i'm in the process of healing my hair in that area so I know there is hope, looking at yours and knowing you got it back healthy and strong

i agree. the breakage isnt bad. You would only have to trim about 2 inches. The rest of your hair is very thick.

Hmm, that's what my hair looks like! lol

I think that since you wear it up mostly, just let the shorter part catch up or get to a length where you wouldn't mind trimming the surrounding hair.

I wear mine up or braided all the time, so I'm not trimming until the middles reaches a little past BSL.

That's how my hair looks sorta and I dont mind at all. I have some hair almost MBL and the rest is not because of setbacks. At least I know where it's headed-I think people are too quick to cut some times, I let my hair just flow. Some people have suggested bunning and protective styles-nothing wrong with that.:)

OP, do you have natural hair? I'm only asking because if you wear it curly you won't be able to notice its uneven.

My hair was very uneven at the beginning of the year. I didn't trim, let it grow, and it finally caught up. I wear my hair in ponytails 90% of the time anyway. Today I have it down straight and its not noticeable anymore.

Give it 6 months and then trim if you think you still need it.

I'm transitioning as we speak. I use BKT but I mostly wear my hair in a bun. I wear it down for about 3 days out of 6 weeks for the most part right after my BKT.

Thanks to you wonderful ladies for all the advice.

For those who voted cut it now, I haven't really heard from you. What are your reasons? Is it because I will eventually have to cut it to even it out once I get to my desired length anyway? I want opinions from ALL sides.:yep:

Back