Shed Hairs... This Can't Be Normal =/

lovebug10

Hey Ladies,

So I have been noticing that my hair has been shedding nonstop. When I comb its not as bad if my hair is properly moisturized (which usually it is) But once I shampoo... :nono: I have tried switching my shampoos and conditioners but I wind up loosing so much hair. Even when I wash in 4 sections and have no knots. Simply finger combing leaves hair balls in my hands. For the most part these are long shed strands. I mean I get a few broken hairs here and there but its pretty negligible.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of a tea rinse or henna or using a clear glaze/ gloss... will those help?

Also for those who need more details, my routine is as follows:

-Wash Day = 1x per week (shampoo, DC using Neutrogena Triple Moist Mask or aphogee 2 min, sometimes a HOT before the wash but not always, Rinse out. Rollerset w/ paul mitchell leave in & paul mitchell super skinny. No heat after wards. Sometimes I wrap and wrap w/ a silk scarf & sit under the dryer so when I unwrap its extra bouncy and silky)

-M&S every single night w/ darcy's botanicals transitioning creme & seal w/ hairveda vatika frosting. Those are my staples but I'm try to get rid of some things I have lying around so I occasionally use argan magic argan oil, hot six oil, organix coconut serum, or organix macadamia oil when styling. Tie with silk scarf at least 5/7 nights a week (sometimes I forget).

-Hair styling: Typically buns, clip hair up. Unless its a special occasion I will wear it down. But its too hot and humid to be doing that so it stays up 98% of the time

-Maintenance: Just got a very thorough trim about 2 weeks ago

Side Note: I have been using Bee Mine Serum w/ sulfur... could this possibly be the culprit? And if so how long does it take for the shedding to stop after I've used it. I want long hair but if its going to thin my hair out w/ all this shedding then I rather let it grow on its own. Short & thick is way better than long and thin in my opinion.

How long after using the bee mine serum did you start to notice the shedding? How much is a lot (how many hair per day) would you say?

1. Most likely, it's from the sulfur. (Long time sulfur user speaking...) Those hair strands may have been at the end of their cycle, and your active hair growth stage is restarting. How long have you been using Bee Mine? Does your hair always seem dryer than before using BM?

2. I think you are manipulating a lot while M&S. Because you are using sulfur, I would recommend using a water-based spray moisturizer first, then a small amount of a cream to seal. If you are using heavy products with the sulfur, you may be inadvertently causing more dryness.

3. Adding a tea rinse will not hurt. Calling Nix08, tiffers and IDareT'sHair: What herbs can the OP add to a black tea to help her shedding? Would it be more effective if she did a rinse before deep conditioning, or as a final rinse?

Last edited:
lilmama where can I get the garlic shampoo? Any brands that you suggest?

DarkJoy yes I am relaxed, i just started using the transitiong creme but I've had this issue way before I started using it.

lamaria211 hmm not sure... It seemed like the normal amount at first but simply smoothing my hair with my hands pulls out like 5 hairs at once. I don't feel anything coming out of my scalp. I just see clumps of hair in my hands afterwards

could be product. my hair does this with shampoo even sulfate-free. If you suspect it's that serum it could be. I would suggest an "emergency" clarifying shampoo. Clarifying always stops the major shed right away. concentrate on scrubbing the scalp as opposed to the hair.

Thanks DarkJoy i just washed but I will try to pick up a clarifying shampoo from the store.

NappyNelle do you think the shedding will stop? or is this a typical side effect of sulfur use? And my hair is pretty moist. I apply transitioning creme to the new growth since they are crunchy after my rollerset but they stay moist until my next wash. I've been using bee mine at least once a week since summer began

NappyNelle do you think the shedding will stop? or is this a typical side effect of sulfur use? And my hair is pretty moist. I apply transitioning creme to the new growth since they are crunchy after my rollerset but they stay moist until my next wash. I've been using bee mine at least once a week since summer began

Yes, I believe the shedding will stop. When I was relaxed, it took about a month before my sulfur induced shedding stopped. Lately, I haven't had any problems with an increase in shedding. I think you are doing everything right, especially since you've noticed the change, so I doubt this will lead to a setback for you.

However, if the shedding doesn't stop by the end of August or so, I would stop using the BM. An ingredient in the carrier oil, or the amount of sulfur in the product may not work with your scalp chemistry.

My personal shedding fixes. Maybe something will grab your attention.

Tea Rinsing
Garlic pills internally (long term)
Garlic Conditioner - DC on Dry Hair with your favorite one. I like Alter Ego
Cowashing rather than shampoo
Liquid leave-ins rather than thick and creamy - easier detangling (for me) because hair isn't clunking together or stuck from the heavy cream or oil

Recent gem discovered - Hair Trigger growth oil has a concoction they call hair "tinctures." There is a lot of info on their website (can't recall the actual site, but its easy to find in a search). I've been using the garlic tincture. I've added it to shampoo, and conditioner, but my favorite and most effective way has been to add it directly to my DC mix when I am DCing on DRY hair. I slap it on and let it sit for 30 minutes. I'm amazed at how few sheds I have after a session.

Back