Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters
Sooooo, I don't know if Im having a protein overload or what.
Problems: My hair doesn't feel moisturized, it is (webbed) tangled at the roots, and I lost a loy of tangled knots
Cause: I did 2 types of protiens on Saturday and was unable to deep condition. Then I did a henna mask treatment on Monday for 3hrs.
What should have helped: i deep conditioned with everything moisturizing under heat cap for 2 hours. I then sprayed SCurl and used my whipped Shea....But it still doesny feel right....smh :angry2:
What do you all think???

Problems: My hair doesn't feel moisturized, it is (webbed) tangled at the roots, and I lost a loy of tangled knots
Cause: I did 2 types of protiens on Saturday and was unable to deep condition. Then I did a henna mask treatment on Monday for 3hrs.
What should have helped: i deep conditioned with everything moisturizing under heat cap for 2 hours. I then sprayed SCurl and used my whipped Shea....But it still doesny feel right....smh :angry2:
What do you all think???

Put a cap on and give it another day. I did a protein overload before and it took almost a week to normalize. I moisturized and sealed, waited two days, then cowashed and M&S again. I was extra gentle, so I didn’t lose any hair.

Shea is bought from the women at $1.50 dollars per liter, in Nigeria. These women get a buck fifty for 1 liter, 1000 grams or 2.2 pounds. Nigeria has 50% to 60% of the Shea treas. But, Burkina Faso and Ghana and Togo out produce Nigeria when it comes to Shea butter production. The women of Nigeria need training and support and an infusion of money. If they had a website with direct order, I'd be ON THAT!

Girrrl, who you tellin? I sooo want to get my hands on some Nigerian shea butter!

Last edited:
What do you all think???

That SCurl has protein in it, too. I would suggest once you get to the style stage again, you use either plain water or water and glycerin and oil only, to replace the Scurl for the next week or two. The Scurl is just adding to your protein issues.

What do you all think???

I had the same exact thing happen just two weeks ago. When I looked at my so called "Moisturizing" conditioners, the contained some type of protein.

What did I do? I spritzed my hair with water and added olive oil and did a hot oil treatment to replace the oils lost. Then, I co-washed my hair using Joico Moisturizing conditioner and deep conditioned with Joico and my hair is fine now. I used Kinky Kurly Knot today as a leave in and twisted with my shea butter mix. The Henna is a very strong protein treatment which will render your hair extremely dry, so you have to replace the oils and moisture lost in your hair.

Another alternative is to spritz your hair with water and use your shea mix as a pre poo to put the moisture and oils back into your hair using a heating cap. Then co wash and deep condition from there using some of your shea mix with your deep conditioner. Let us know how this works out.

I feel like I’m seeing fewer split ends since I started using Shea butter regularly. I hope it’s not just wishful thinking. Or maybe it’s that wishful thinking works?
Same here. And less single strand knots.

Same here! Dramatic decrease in SSKs, and I am HERE for that!

Since 2018 is all about retention, I've decided to incorporate more moisturizing/sealing sessions into my regimen. If not every day, then every other day at least.
Tonight, I sprayed APB leave-in spray and sealed with APB peach hibiscus hair & body butter.

Last edited:
Hey ladies, checking in. January was a very rough month for me, and my hair was very low on the totem pole of things to be concerned with. But the one constant thing in my sad arse routine for January was my whipped shea. I know without a doubt that it saved my hair, even made it better. I would be experiencing a huge setback if it weren't for that precious butter, I'm 200% sure of it. But instead my hair is actually flourishing.

My routine was basically leave my hair the *** alone lol. I would cowash at the begining of the week, add Oyin Hair Dew then seal my ends heavy with the butter, adding the remenants from my hands onto the length and roots. Then I would flat twist or do a braid out for the week, rebraiding every couple days and adding more butter as necessary. I didn't realize how my hair was progressing until someone came to visit me and said How is it that your hair looks this amazing under these circumstances. And I finally looked at my hair like Oh crap it IS amazing :lachen:

I also used it daily on my skin as a moisturizer. I was without my normal skincare routine and I was nervous about putting the butter on my face for fear it would cause breakouts. But my skin looooves it. I got compliments every where I went on my skin, I didn't wear a stitch of makeup. This stuff is just awesome.

Here are a few pics of my hair in a braidout. I'm not on @ElevatedEnergy 's level but I'm tryna get there. :yep:

This is a twist. My twists have never looked this thick (for my hair density) and healthy before.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvnmkrcvgrmw0rb/Photo Feb 01, 5 27 33 PM.jpg?dl=0

Braid out pics

https://www.dropbox.com/s/794qdrkuukp14wk/Photo Feb 12, 5 32 46 PM (1).jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzm0dnxzubqusni/Photo Feb 12, 5 42 06 PM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0lvwnuxkeu1b47/Photo Feb 12, 5 42 20 PM.jpg?dl=0

This was a day five braidout that was about to die lol but stayed shiny and hydrated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uk4qecod1g0q3v/Photo Feb 11, 5 58 00 PM.jpg?dl=0

Keep whippin that work, ladies!!!!

Last edited:
Same here! Dramatic decrease in SSKs, and I am HERE for that!

Since 2018 is all about retention, I've decided to incorporate more moisturizing/sealing sessions into my regimen. If not every day, then every other day at most.
Tonight, I sprayed APB leave-in spray and sealed with APB peach hibiscus hair & body butter.
I initially was going to take a wait and see approach with SB but with all the testimonies of how it reduce SSK, I went for it. SSK had been driving me mad! A month later, I still have SSK but they have been reduced by at least 50%. I was going to post about it but I wanted to wait for my next wash. This is amazing.

What do you all think???
Do you have a steamer? I think 30 mins or so under one with a super moisturizing dc should bring you back.

What do you all think???
Tracey Simmons had moisture overload and she did a clay wash/treatment, hair returned to normal I think the same day.

What do you all think???

@NCHairDiva

Here is what I would do if I were in your situation:

Since the hair is tangled and dry, I would focus on a "divide and conquer" thought process. Keep in mind this is something that you do not have to do all in one sitting nor would I advise it to be. Do it over a few days to a week and wear your wigs when you need to leave your house while you work on it.

Your first goal is to lubricate and stretch. This will allow a better environment to remove tangles.
1) Melt down your shea butter and slather it on your hair. Since the hair is tangled at the roots, don't try to force it by parting or sectioning. Instead gently gather it in one low ponytail and band it. Before putting it in the ponytail, pull the hair a bit at the base to stretch out the middle. Now put on a plastic cap to allow the butter to soak in. At least a few hours. Over the next few days, remove one band at a time, and remove tangles by separating the strands from each other. When you get to the base of the ponytail, this is where you can section into more ponytails and repeat the process.

Your next goal is to infuse moisture back into the strands.
2)Get your most moisturizing conditioner and apply it on top of the Shea butter and braid the section as you go to avoid more tangles. If you have a steamer, sit under it for 20 minutes. If not, just put on a plastic cap for a few hours, then rinse while in the braids. Apply leave in and seal hair with Shea butter all while in the braids. Put the braids back in a banded ponytail so they can dry in a stretched state.

Your final goal is to allow the hair to rest. Leave it alone for up to a week. I'm sure the pulling and tugging will also leave you with a pretty sore scalp so just give your hair and scalp time to recover.

The silver lining is you have learned what not to do and something that your hair doesn't care for. Protein is one tricky little rascal for chemical free hair. I believe all hair needs a protein kick here and there but too much of anything will eventually run it's course.

As for henna and all Ayurvedic powders, here is what I have learned:
What you mix them with DOES matter and changes how they react on your hair. I've always just mixed my henna with water and experienced well conditioned hair. This past treatment, I mixed with coconut milk and it felt like I just did a protein treatment.

Powders should always be applied to tangle free hair. If not, the powders will get caught within the tangles and make them even worse.

HTH!

Hey ladies, checking in. January was a very rough month for me, and my hair was very low on the totem pole of things to be concerned with. But the one constant thing in my sad arse routine for January was my whipped shea. I know without a doubt that it saved my hair, even made it better. I would be experiencing a huge setback if it weren't for that precious butter, I'm 200% sure of it. But instead my hair is actually flourishing.

My routine was basically leave my hair the *** alone lol. I would cowash at the begining of the week, add Oyin Hair Dew then seal my ends heavy with the butter, adding the remenants from my hands onto the length and roots. Then I would flat twist or do a braid out for the week, rebraiding every couple days and adding more butter as necessary. I didn't realize how my hair was progressing until someone came to visit me and said How is it that your hair looks this amazing under these circumstances. And I finally looked at my hair like Oh crap it IS amazing :lachen:

I also used it daily on my skin as a moisturizer. I was without my normal skincare routine and I was nervous about putting the butter on my face for fear it would cause breakouts. But my skin looooves it. I got compliments every where I went on my skin, I didn't wear a stitch of makeup. This stuff is just awesome.

Here are a few pics of my hair in a braidout. I'm not on @ElevatedEnergy 's level but I'm tryna get there. :yep:

This is a twist. My twists have never looked this thick (for my hair density) and healthy before.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvnmkrcvgrmw0rb/Photo Feb 01, 5 27 33 PM.jpg?dl=0

Braid out pics

https://www.dropbox.com/s/794qdrkuukp14wk/Photo Feb 12, 5 32 46 PM (1).jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzm0dnxzubqusni/Photo Feb 12, 5 42 06 PM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0lvwnuxkeu1b47/Photo Feb 12, 5 42 20 PM.jpg?dl=0

This was a day five braidout that was about to die lol but stayed shiny and hydrated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uk4qecod1g0q3v/Photo Feb 11, 5 58 00 PM.jpg?dl=0

Keep whippin that work, ladies!!!!

Y'all see that whittle bitty baby head in the second to last photo? Sooo cute! Your hair looks lovely ! Let me edit this to say there is real baby in the photo. I am not making fun of TP! TPshair looks great and the baby is precious!

That SCurl has protein in it, too. I would suggest once you get to the style stage again, you use either plain water or water and glycerin and oil only, to replace the Scurl for the next week or two. The Scurl is just adding to your protein issues.

Omg... I didnt even think about the SCurl having protien.... I think on Friday Im going to do a deep condition w/heat in my twist. And I wont be adding anything but water and glycerin. I hope this will help. Thank you!

@NCHairDiva

Here is what I would do if I were in your situation:

Since the hair is tangled and dry, I would focus on a "divide and conquer" thought process. Keep in mind this is something that you do not have to do all in one sitting nor would I advise it to be. Do it over a few days to a week and wear your wigs when you need to leave your house while you work on it.

Your first goal is to lubricate and stretch. This will allow a better environment to remove tangles.
1) Melt down your shea butter and slather it on your hair. Since the hair is tangled at the roots, don't try to force it by parting or sectioning. Instead gently gather it in one low ponytail and band it. Before putting it in the ponytail, pull the hair a bit at the base to stretch out the middle. Now put on a plastic cap to allow the butter to soak in. At least a few hours. Over the next few days, remove one band at a time, and remove tangles by separating the strands from each other. When you get to the base of the ponytail, this is where you can section into more ponytails and repeat the process.

Your next goal is to infuse moisture back into the strands.
2)Get your most moisturizing conditioner and apply it on top of the Shea butter and braid the section as you go to avoid more tangles. If you have a steamer, sit under it for 20 minutes. If not, just put on a plastic cap for a few hours, then rinse while in the braids. Apply leave in and seal hair with Shea butter all while in the braids. Put the braids back in a banded ponytail so they can dry in a stretched state.

Your final goal is to allow the hair to rest. Leave it alone for up to a week. I'm sure the pulling and tugging will also leave you with a pretty sore scalp so just give your hair and scalp time to recover.

The silver lining is you have learned what not to do and something that your hair doesn't care for. Protein is one tricky little rascal for chemical free hair. I believe all hair needs a protein kick here and there but too much of anything will eventually run it's course.

As for henna and all Ayurvedic powders, here is what I have learned:
What you mix them with DOES matter and changes how they react on your hair. I've always just mixed my henna with water and experienced well conditioned hair. This past treatment, I mixed with coconut milk and it felt like I just did a protein treatment.

Powders should always be applied to tangle free hair. If not, the powders will get caught within the tangles and make them even worse.

HTH!
Thank you a million times over. Yes, I forgot all about my steamer.... I will be slowing it down and work in sections. Its like Im in a full panic over this and I for get how to correct/fix it. Advise well taken and I will be taking what I learned and applying it to my hair needs.

My sister has been like my walking talking ambassador for my hair progress. :lol: Now she’s getting our mom on the Shea Butter bandwagon and wanted me to help our mom out with it. She was like: “show mom your progress pictures!!” :lachen: My sister knows exactly what I do to my hair since we live together. She’s watched me do my hair before. I told her she should help mom out today with mom’s regimen overhaul since she’s free today and I’m not. So she’s gonna go buy the s-curl, spray bottle and raw Shea Butter and show mom how to use them. I told her my sister that it’s better if she’s there while mom is washing her hair so she can have mom do everything herself and guide her while she’s there. That’s the best way to have her learn how to use and apply her whipped Shea mix. Oh and my brother was there too (flew in from England for the first time in 2 years) and he wanted to know what that Shea Butter stuff was all about so I told him. I’m just laughing to myself as Shea Butter slowly takes over my whole life. :lachen:

Back