Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters
I have heard of Chebe. Someone started a thread about it a few months ago. I will try to find it. I think by using our shea mixes, we are doing our own form of chebe, except we wash more often.

https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...itional-product-and-non-chebe-product.822335/

So Chebe and the Shea butter are doing the same thing... They both act as a protective barrier.... Ok I'm doing a bit of research to see if there is any additional benefits.... otherwise I need to stop ordering everything... lol

Prepooing with Shea butter, honey & olive oil. Detangles so well. I made sure to mist my hair with my AVJ & water mix first. I plan to let it sit overnight.

Hey Sis,

Would you mind sharing exactly how you detangle with this mix? Your fingers/comb/brush? Is your shea mix whipped & creamy like a conditioner? Do you warm it up first? Sorry for all the questions - I knew the shea butter being on the hair makes hair easier to detangle from the testimonies in this thread but I never thought one could actually use the shea butter mixture specifically for detangling purposes like with a conditioner - it sounds intriguing!

Hey Sis,

Would you mind sharing exactly how you detangle with this mix? Your fingers/comb/brush? Is your shea mix whipped & creamy like a conditioner? Do you warm it up first? Sorry for all the questions - I knew the shea butter being on the hair makes hair easier to detangle from the testimonies in this thread but I never thought one could actually use the shea butter mixture specifically for detangling purposes like with a conditioner - it sounds intriguing!

Hey, I take about 2 tablespoons of Shea butter, eyeball some olive oil, and honey. I stick it in a small mason jar warm some water in the microwave to get the water hot then stick the jar in the hot water so the Shea butter can melt. I add an essential oil, I added peppermint oil and mix until the Shea butter is fully melted. It's like a hot oil treatment. It doesn't harden up at all. Then I take my water mix (AVJ, water & tea tree oil) and lightly mist my hair then put the oil mixture on top. Then I finger detangle only. The shed hair just slide out easily. I've also added my favorite conditioner to the mix in past which is awesome as well. (That makes the mixture look like the conditioner which is creamy. Some times it gets gritty before I can finish though.) But this time I didn't add conditioner. My hair is so moisturized, soft and has so much shine. I plan to shampoo in the morning and DC after.

Last edited:
I’ve been saying that I only started using products with Shea butter in early 2017, but that’s not true. My favorite brand has been Shea Moisture all through my transition and at least for the first 9 months of being fully natural. My favorite deep conditioner of all time is their JBCO masque. Therefore, my hair has never gotten a break from Shea butter; no wonder it’s doing so well.

I washed over a week ago, and air dried in 3 braids with 1 jumbo flexi rod on the last 6-8 inches of each braid. Before I applied the flexi rods, I piled the ends with shea butter and left the rest of my hair with no product. I just love how shea butter elongates, lubricates and gives my hair a natural shine. You can see a big difference between my length (no butter) versus my ends (with butter).

20180102_150034.jpg

Yes, I use the same shirt in all my pics. Makes for easy comparisons. Will take another pic like this one in the spring.

Hey, I take about 2 tablespoons of Shea butter, eyeball some olive oil, and honey. I stick it in a small mason jar warm some water in the microwave to get the water hot then stick the jar in the hot water so the Shea butter can melt. I add an essential oil, I added peppermint oil and mix until the Shea butter is fully melted. It's like a hot oil treatment. It doesn't harden up at all. Then I take my water mix (AVJ, water & tea tree oil) and lightly mist my hair then put the oil mixture on top. Then I finger detangle only. The shed hair just slide out easily. I've also added my favorite conditioner to the mix in past which is awesome as well. (That makes the mixture look like the conditioner which is creamy. Some times it gets gritty before I can finish though.) But this time I didn't add conditioner. My hair is so moisturized, soft and has so much shine. I plan to shampoo in the morning and DC after.

I see now!! Makes sense ... thanks so much for providing details for us!!!

I think i will try this method tonight as i have some detangling to do when unraveling my braids.......Thanks for sharing:bighug:

Here's my list! These are mainly products that I currently have, and several that I've used in the past. Product names & the order of shea butter on the current ingredient list.

HAIR PRODUCTS WITH SHEA BUTTER

SHEA MOISTURE
Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie - 2nd

I just used this this morning. I love this stuff. I use globs of it at a time lol. This morning I sprayed water over my tuck and roll, oiled my edges, added a ton of the smoothie and put on my scarf. It slicked my edges right down. No additional edge control needed

In August of 2017, I was traveling with my mother and had lots of time. So, I started to do my hair daily and slather my braids daily with shea butter.

When I returned home in September, I noticed that my hair had gained some length. Ever since then, I notice that I get a small length gain every 2 months. Thus, I got a gain in November and now in January.

I 'notice' it by the fact my braid actually looks longer. Then, after I slather it with shea, right before braiding, I stretch and pull the hair to see how far down on my body it comes.

If the pattern continues, I should get my next length gain in March.

I feel like my hair journey officially started when I added shea butter. It seems like it was the final thing I needed to take my hair care to another level.

This is my sentiment as well.

I felt awful when I butchered my hair and cut off most of my length in 2012. But had that not happened, I probably would have never picked up any natural shea butter, either. But, I didn't start using it religiously until Dec 2016.

I, too, feel it has amped up my hair care level. I've never had the conscious intention to grow my hair past my waist until I began my tailbone journey in 2016. In fact, the shea butter is what re-ingnited my interest in my hair, in general!

Prior to making that decision, I kept getting a little twinge or pang every time I saw the hair of one of my favorites that was beyond waist length. So, I decided to take the plunge myself and see if I could purposely grow my hair to similar lengths.

I remember saying often as I looked at those magnificent heads of hair, "My hair doesn't grow that long". Or, "I've never had hair that long."

As of today, my hair is the longest it has ever been in my life. Tailbone, here I come!

Everything is so neat and clean looking in your photograph. Whenever I make shea butter, that beater thing spins out of control, flicking shea butter on me, on my walls and all over the bowl. I be squinting when I make it. Protecting my eye from the inevitable splatter. My stuff never comes out all neat and clean like in your photo!
Omg yessss!!! My kitchen looks like a war zone afterwards :lol:

I washed over a week ago, and air dried in 3 braids with 1 jumbo flexi rod on the last 6-8 inches of each braid. Before I applied the flexi rods, I piled the ends with shea butter and left the rest of my hair with no product. I just love how shea butter elongates, lubricates and gives my hair a natural shine. You can see a big difference between my length (no butter) versus my ends (with butter).

View attachment 420969

Yes, I use the same shirt in all my pics. Makes for easy comparisons. Will take another pic like this one in the spring.
:thud::thud::thud::thud:

Shamone in!

giphy.gif

I love this thread!!! I would like to join if not too late.

This is not a challenge. You are welcome to contribute anytime! I encourage you and anyone who is interested to jump on in. The more you actively participate, the more you learn and help yourself.

Aside from the fact that hair is serious business, we are just in here playing! What brings us together is that we all are using some form of shea butter regularly, at some point in our regimens. This is the thread where we talk about it and document our experiences. We're creating and leaving a record for whomever would like the information, now or in the future, based upon our experiences and what we learn.

Last edited:
Omg yessss!!! My kitchen looks like a war zone afterwards :lol:

If I accidentally invite the wrong person over, or if someone overstays their welcome, I'm going to make some shea butter. :giggle:

I'll make sure I pull the whisk out of the mixture, and skim the the surface for an extra 4.3 seconds, when it's going at high speed, to give the person an even, thick splattering right across their chest. devil: :angeldevil::evilbanana:Naw, no I won't.

Last edited:
Thanks Chicoro! I have learned a lot from reading this thread. I have mixed shea butter and use Blensblend hair butter after each wash, however for some reason I neglected using butter during the refreshing sessions. That plus other issues led to damage and a subsequent cut and now I'm starting fresh. I blended a combination of shea, mango, avocado butter, coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil. I previously blended this 2 wks ago, however it was too stiff and needed more oils. Looks more creamy now. IDK, but you feel a since of accomplishment when you are able to make your own butter.

Thanks Chicoro! I have learned a lot from reading this thread. I have mixed shea butter and use Blensblend hair butter after each wash, however for some reason I neglected using butter during the refreshing sessions. That plus other issues led to damage and a subsequent cut and now I'm starting fresh. I blended a combination of shea, mango, avocado butter, coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil. I previously blended this 2 wks ago, however it was too stiff and needed more oils. Looks more creamy now. IDK, but you feel a since of accomplishment when you are able to make your own butter.

:cup: Congratulations!

I picked up some oils that I ordered from Bulk Apothecary y’all. I mean, from their warehouse. It smells like heaven in there! I bought:
Amber (all natural) Fragrance Oil
Black Fig and Honey Fragrance Oil
Cassia Essential Oil
Chocolate Sugar Cookies Fragrance Oil
Jasmine Fragrance Oil
Peppermint Essential Oil
Rosemary (Certified Organic) Essential Oil
Sandalwood Vanilla Fragrance Oil
I can’t wait to make my next batch of whipped shea butter!
And I took a nap today and had a dream that I was moisturizing my hair and discovered it was waist length! I didn’t want to wake up.:cry3:

Back