Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters
NERP!!!!!!

That's cute on you, but not on me.

I'm glad this was mentioned. I was going to get some rose and some of the hibiscus, too. I don't want ANY color on my hair. I like my plain, jet black, hair. I had no idea that hibiscus and rose color the hair.
:lachen: Anybody else, and I'd think it was shade. Coming from you, I truly believe you just don't like burgundy on your complexion. :lol:

I think rose powder is safe though, and probably hibiscus if suitably diluted. Remember, I'm planning to use it in a henna recipe, with lawson particles or whatever that have a special affinity for hair protein. As long as you're not getting it extra deep down and attached to your hair's protein, you should be fine. Like, a tbsp in some conditioner shouldn't do anything noticeable.

I have been playing up in this thread. But I'm learning something new about shea butter and related things every time I come into this thread. Thank you again and @Honey Bee for this information!
Yes ma’am. I put rose powder in my conditioner a while back. I used it a few times. You don’t notice it at first but this morning I looked in the sunlight and had a burgundy type hue. I would definitely skip these herbs if you do not want any color deposits.

Yes ma’am. I put rose powder in my conditioner a while back. I used it a few times. You don’t notice it at first but this morning I looked in the sunlight and had a burgundy type hue. I would definitely skip these herbs if you do not want any color deposits.
What's your natural color? It occurred to me that my hair is not 'jet black' in the first place, so it probably picks up color a little easier. :scratchchin:

Anybody getting build-up with shea butter? Are you using your regular shampoos to cleanse your hair or does the hair require something different to wash out the butter?

My shea mix comes out with regular baby wash. So far, no buildup.
Yes. My hair feels disgusting today. I’m going to keep an eye on it the rest of the week, but I’m sure I need to clarify. It has been 3 weeks of consistent use. I just washed btw.

:lachen: Anybody else, and I'd think it was shade. Coming from you, I truly believe you just don't like burgundy on your complexion. :lol:

I think rose powder is safe though, and probably hibiscus if suitably diluted. Remember, I'm planning to use it in a henna recipe, with lawson particles or whatever that have a special affinity for hair protein. As long as you're not getting it extra deep down and attached to your hair's protein, you should be fine. Like, a tbsp in some conditioner shouldn't do anything noticeable.

"Anybody else, and I'd think it was shade."
Nah, never. That' not my style. There's enough unkindness in the world without me having to add to it. Life is too short and energy is finite. I'd rather focus all my life energy on hair!

"Lawson particles"? Never heard of those either. Sounds incredibly intriguing

I was thinking about putting hibiscus and rose in my shea butter. I may do it and see if I get a color! If I come back here whining, you all have the right to say, "I told you so!"

That sounds so pretty! Perhaps I'm not to adverse to a little color deposit. Hmm...

Nah, never. That' not my style. There's enough unkindness in the world without me having to add to it. Life is too short and energy is finite. I'd rather focus all my life energy on hair!

I was thinking about putting hibiscus and rose in my shea butter. I may do it and see if I get a color! If I come back here whining, you all have the right to say, "I told you so!"
You can diffuse it in an oil of your choice and just use very little.

I'm confused. You just washed it but your hair 'feels disgusting'? Is that what you are saying?
When my hair needs clarifying, regardless to what I do, it just feels disgusting. Like coated. Also, I’ve been usin glycerin lately, and glycerin coats my hair pretty bad. I’m not telling anyone to stop, I’m just saying I definitely need to clarify, but it’s likely over glycerin and not Shea Butter.

Last edited:
No, not really. I only talk to one regularly, Herlucidsky. She seems to just use regular shampoo and conditioner to cleanse and condition her hair.
@Chicoro
And I also meant on YT Videos? I watched the ones the members have posted in this thread and no one really really addressed an issue of excessive build-up?

Seems like folks would have been discussing build up and how hard it is to remove if it was an on-going problem.

I haven't notice @ElevatedEnergy @beauti @ThatJerseyGirl and the many other additional Unicorns here addressing excessive build-up and SB having a negative effect on their growth and retention.

j/s?

When my hair needs clarifying, regardless to what I do, it just feels disgusting. Like coated. Also, I’ve been usin glycerin lately, and glycerin coats my hair pretty bad. I’m not telling anyone to stop, I’m just saying I definitely need to clarify, but it’s likely over glycerin and not Shea Butter.
@Saludable84
Good Info!:up: (fixed "likely" for you)

I got you, now. I get it!

Over time, my hair gets 'sticky' with the Scurl when it is dirty. So I know what you mean. In general, Scurl is not gummy like some other activators, but it is not supposed to be used with dirt. When it is time for me to wash, the activator picks up all kinds of 'dirt'.

@Chicoro
And I also meant on YT Videos? I watched the ones the members have posted in this thread and no one really really addressed an issue of excessive build-up?

Seems like folks would have been discussing build up and how hard it is to remove if it was an on-going problem.

I haven't notice @ElevatedEnergy @beauti @ThatJerseyGirl and the many other additional Unicorns here addressing excessive build-up and SB having a negative effect on their growth and retention.

j/s?

I never really thought it was a problem, either. I just saw that article that I linked to up thread. I think it is important to present all sides of the discussion. The article was from the perspective who was not much in favor of women using shea butter on afro-textured hair. I think it is good to have a different and various points of view! Although the views expressed in the article were not my own.

No, I know you wasn't being shady. :kiss:

Whole, unbroken henna leaves will not stain the skin. Henna will not stain skin until the lawsone molecules are made available (released) from the henna leaf. Dried henna leaves will stain the skin if they are mashed into a paste. The lawsone will gradually migrate from the henna paste into the outer layer of the skin and bind to the proteins in it, creating a fast stain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henna

Lawsone reacts chemically with the protein keratin in skin and hair, in a process known as Michael addition, resulting in a strong permanent stain that lasts until the skin or hair is shed. The darker colored ink is due to more lawsone-keratin interactions occurring, which evidently break down as the concentration of lawsone decreases and the tattoo fades. [5] Lawsone strongly absorbs UV light, and aqueous extracts can be effective sunless tanning and sunscreens. Chemically, lawsone is similar to juglone, which is found in walnuts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawsone

No, I know you wasn't being shady. :kiss:

Lawsone reacts chemically with the protein keratin in skin and hair, in a process known as Michael addition, resulting in a strong permanent stain that lasts until the skin or hair is shed. The darker colored ink is due to more lawsone-keratin interactions occurring, which evidently break down as the concentration of lawsone decreases and the tattoo fades.

Thank you! My brain's going to burst with all this new information.

@Chicoro
I Agree.:yep:

And as with everyone who's part of this journey throughout 2018, I am sure will all have various revelations and observations.

Different Hair Types, Textures, Lengths, Natural/Relaxed/Texturized/Transitioning methods, products, practices etc...

I am certain all of us will have different outcomes and discover some different conclusions throughout this process.

@Chicoro
I Agree.:yep:

And as with everyone who's part of this journey throughout 2018, I am sure will all have various revelations and observations.

Different Hair Types, Textures, Lengths, Natural/Relaxed/Texturized/Transitioning etc...

I am certain all of us will have different outcomes and discover some different conclusions throughout this process.

It's absolutely fascinating, isn't it? And the promise of unicorn like hair is like the perpetual carrot on the stick. It just leads one forward trying to grasp the golden ring [or however that saying goes!].

@Chicoro
Very Intriguing Indeed.:scratchchin:

Will be seriously watching and collecting tips, hints, recipes and practices.:bookworm:

Yes, there's already an abundance of remedies, rules of thumb and anecdtotes peppered throughout this thread to give a solid base of understanding and knowledge.

The proof will be in people's length retention. After waist length, I usually start to grow only about 4 inches for the year. The evidence is going to be found in the hair of women who have starting hair length ranging from TWA to waist length.

That's the group of ladies I will be watching and observing. The group is vast and should have the most 'retention' in 2018. It's large enough so that we should be able to spot some trends!

1. They're heavy: I like that
  2. They lead to dry hair: Not with moisture underneath like a leave in, moisturizer, or even plain ol' water.
  3. They cause frizz: Not in my hair
  4. They do not moisturize the hair: They're not supposed to.
  5. You're using way too much: Yes, and I like it like that because I don't wear out styles.
  6. They're not water soluble: That's the point.
  7. They cause buildup: I shampoo weekly and clarify monthly. Not worried about buildup.

2. They lead to dry hair: Not with moisture underneath like a leave in, moisturizer, or even plain ol' water.
  5. You're using way too much: Yes, and I like it like that because I don't wear out styles.
  7. They cause buildup: I shampoo weekly and clarify monthly. Not worried about buildup.

EXCELLENT post, sis. :yep:

You crushed it!

I remember replying to this same article in another thread in the past.

Here is the post:

https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...nking-out-loud.541651/page-1314#post-24284545

Back