Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters
"As far as length, I’ve gained a lot of insight from your book and newsletters. Yes, I wanted to learn from a master grower! That hair in my avatar, I think that was after I cut it; I removed about 3 inches of unevenness last December to start on my new challenge to trim every 3 months to keep my ends from getting too wispy; I have very fine hair and relatively low to medium density [...]".

I'll take the compliments, GLADLY! Thank you very much!!!!! Congratulations on finding a process to address keeping your fine-textured hair in tip top shape! It always feels good when we see that our direct efforts are positively impacting our hair. YEAH!

Funny that you mentioned those newsletters. I was looking at them yesterday and thought about them again this morning!

I kept all of them and had about 80 more I never published! I thought I had said all I could say about gaining length an health on afro textured hair. But it seems that what I have to say could fill at least 7 to 12 books @100 pages each.

I've been fighting it. But I see, that the care of afro-textured hair is truly my calling and passion.

"As far as length, I’ve gained a lot of insight from your book and newsletters. Yes, I wanted to learn from a master grower! That hair in my avatar, I think that was after I cut it; I removed about 3 inches of unevenness last December to start on my new challenge to trim every 3 months to keep my ends from getting too wispy; I have very fine hair and relatively low to medium density [...]".

I'll take the compliments, GLADLY! Thank you very much!!!!! Congratulations on finding a process to address keeping your fine-textured hair in tip top shape! It always feels good when we see that our direct efforts are positively impacting our hair. YEAH!

Funny that you mentioned those newsletters. I was looking at them yesterday and thought about them again this morning!

I kept all of them and had about 80 more I never published! I thought I had said all I could say about gaining length an health on afro textured hair. But it seems that what I have to say could fill at least 7 to 12 books @100 pages each.

I've been fighting it. But I see, that the care of afro-textured hair is truly my calling and passion.

I actually still reference your book periodically as a refresher. I am inspired by every woman with Afro-textured hair who has achieved longer than usual length. I think it is a beautiful thing to see, especially if it’s healthy.

I actually still reference your book periodically as a refresher. I am inspired by every woman with Afro-textured hair who has achieved longer than usual length. I think it is a beautiful thing to see, especially if it’s healthy.

That's good that book is [still] a reference. My mentor read that book and he told me I had just two small errors about hair in it. One was about soap, the other was a line about the hair cuticle. That's it.

My mentor has over 40+ years in the hair industry. He's a scientist, not a cosmetologist. He also won the highest honor for a cosmetic chemist presented to him by the American Society of Cosmetic Chemist. He is British and retired. I 'met' him after I read an article about cells in the hair strand that form the curl on hair. I sent him an email because it was attached to the article. He thought I was trying to steal his research! I told him, "Nevermind!" Unbeknownst to me, he bought my book, read it from cover to cover. From that point forward, he's been one of my biggest supporters.

Yes, I too am inspired by women with beautiful, super long afro-textured hair. What I see THE MOST is the inner change and radiance that comes from within, because of the success of getting past the naysayers and getting our hair long.

BRAVO to YOU for sticking with it and believing and achieving the longest hair of your life!

It really is!!!!! You help us understand things in a tangible way. Others like kimmay touch on it but I love that you and Aubrey know the science on a much deeper level. Please keep writing. No one's touched on how to clean afro textured hair in different ways for different needs the hair may have at any given time yet (or at least I haven't heard about it). I would love if you'd touch on that a bit more. Products: what their benefits are in cleansing, methods: what's right for different levels of sebum production.... Things like that.

It really is!!!!! You help us understand things in a tangible way. Others like kimmay touch on it but I love that you and Aubrey know the science on a much deeper level. Please keep writing. No one's touched on how to clean afro textured hair in different ways for different needs the hair may have at any given time yet (or at least I haven't heard about it). I would love if you'd touch on that a bit more. Products: what their benefits are in cleansing, methods: what's right for different levels of sebum production.... Things like that.

By the way, it was:2inlove:Aubrey's books which were some of the earlier influences that started me on this journey, trying to understand hair and products from a scientific perspective!

I have noted your request @VictoriousBrownFlower! Let me add @GGsKin since she likes this kind of info, too.

I try to be a woman of my word so I will not promise that I will address this in a book. But here is some information I came across recently. This is for you!

I was JUST reading about this very thing this morning! [Morning for me here in France.] On page 625 of, "Chemical and Physical Behavior of Human Hair", by Clarence R. Robbins:

Chapter 9 The Physical Properties of Hair Fibers
9.10.9 Shampoos and Hair Friction
"[...] The coefficient of friction for the hair fibers treated with the high conditioning shampoo is lower than for hair treated with the high cleaning shampoo. This effect suggests easier wet combing by the conditioning shampoo and has been verified."

All this is saying is that when you use a conditioner based shampoo, it makes the hair easier to comb. Two important points to take away are listed below:

1. Rise of Conditioner Washing by Women with Afro-Textured Hair.This may be why we saw the rise of the conditioner wash by women with afro-textured hair. That is because via practice, we noticed that the hair was somewhat cleansed and not as stripped by this process. I used to use conditioner in my hair in college. In contrast, when we used regular shampoos our hair was often left dry, hard and more difficult to manage and incredibly hard to comb!
  2. New Conditioner Washes on Market. This 5th edition of this book was published in 2012. Most information does not change within it from edition to new edition. I was at a scientific hair conference for hair in Germany and a German PhD chemist I met told me snidely: This book is THE Bible for hair. [He stated that to let me know that my book was nothing in comparison.] I personally think my sexiness was just too much for him :giggle: ! The POINT IS: Only recently have 'Conditioner Washes and Products" come out on the market from mainstream cosmetic companies. THEREFORE, black women ned to continue to recognize their TREMENDOUS COLLECTIVE ECONOMIC POWER. Those products were created and made as a DIRECT result of us using cheap conditioner to cleanse our hair. If this book is the Hair Bible and it is used by cosmetic chemists and scientists, and the information about conditioning shampoos was there all along, what was the impetus for them to finally get around to creating a Conditioning Cleanser: BLACK WOMEN!

Last edited:
By the way, it was:2inlove:Aubrey's books which were some of the earlier influences that started me on this journey, trying to understand hair and products from a scientific perspective!

I have noted your request @VictoriousBrownFlower!

I try to be a woman of my word so I will not promise that I will address this in a book. But here is some information I came across recently. This is for you!

I was JUST reading about this very thing this morning! [Morning for me here in France.] On page 625 of, "Chemical and Physical Behavior of Human Hair", by Clarence R. Robbins:

Chapter 9 The Physical Properties of Hair Fibers
9.10.9 Shampoos and Hair Friction
"[...] The coefficient of friction for the hair fibers treated with the high conditioning shampoo is lower than for hair treated with the high cleaning shampoo. This effect suggests easier wet combing by the conditioning shampoo and has been verified."

All this is saying is that when you use a conditioner based shampoo, it makes the hair easier to comb. Two important points to take away are listed below:

1. Rise of Conditioner Washing by Women with Afro-Textured Hair.This may be why we saw the rise of the conditioner wash by women with afro-textured hair. That is because via practice, we noticed that the hair was somewhat cleansed and not as stripped by this process. I used to use conditioner in my hair in college. In contrast, when we used regular shampoos our hair was often left dry, hard and more difficult to manage and incredibly hard to comb!
  2. New Conditioner Washes on Market. This 5th edition of this book was published in 2012. Most information does not change within it from edition to new edition. I was at a scientific hair conference for hair in Germany and a German PhD chemist I met told me snidely: This book is THE Bible for hair. [He stated that to let me know that my book was nothing in comparison.] I personally think my sexiness was just too much for him :giggle: ! The POINT IS: Only recently have 'Conditioner Washes and Products" come out on the market from mainstream cosmetic companies. THEREFORE, black women ned to continue to recognize their TREMENDOUS COLLECTIVE ECONOMIC POWER. Those products were created and made as a DIRECT result of us using cheap conditioner to cleanse our hair. If this book is the Hair Bible and it is used by cosmetic chemist and scientists, and the information about conditioning shampoos was there all along, what was the impetus for them to finally get around to creating a Conditioning Cleanser: BLACK WOMEN!
Cool!!!! I've never read your book. Just the regurgitated info from it. I thought it was all about the stuff we can easily learn on here and youtube (protein/moisture, sealing, hair structure, etc) I am def gonna pick it up now because I still have alot to learn and now know the info is already out there (i really never knew that). I thought my questions were new but you had the same and searched for the answers better than me. That's why you're so good at what you do. This is just a past time for me but I can tell it's a passion to you (unlike me).

I love the knowledge you gave me in this post (and the fact that you simplified the scientific jar gain) but I know there's more to know (this is just the tip of the iceberg). Totally investing in the book. What the name of the book again? The science of black hair right?

Cool!!!! I've never read your book. Just the regurgitated info from it. I thought it was all about the stuff we can easily learn on here and youtube (protein/moisture, sealing, hair structure, etc) I am def gonna pick it up now because I still have alot to learn and now know the info is already out there (i really never knew that). I thought my questions were new but you had the same and searched for the answers better than me. That's why you're so good at what you do. This is just a past time for me but I can tell it's a passion to you (unlike me).

I love the knowledge you gave me in this post (and the fact that you simplified the scientific jar gain) but I know there's more to know (this is just the tip of the iceberg). Totally investing in the book. What the name of the book again? The science of black hair right? (NOPE , not mine!) [/QUOTE]

"I love the knowledge you gave me in this post (and the fact that you simplified the scientific jar gain) but I know there's more to know (this is just the tip of the iceberg). Totally investing in the book. What the name of the book again? The science of black hair right? (NOPE , not mine!)"

That fantastic book is not mine! She is one of our beloved members, though. My book does not contain the scientific information I just provided. It provides a simple process to gain length. It is under my same name on Amazon.

Okay, if my hair has been dropping about 1/2 an inch in length every other month, why do I have a cumulative overall length gain of 1 inch for these last 1o months? Something doesn't compute.

I think I'm going to be done with hair growth challenges after December 31st, 2018. But I'll probably change my mind as soon as I post this.

giphy.gif

Anybody out there in Shea butter land?​

I've been applying it on Sundays on wash days after I apply my leave in conditioner. This week I did two warm water rinses then applied a leave in. I used Shea butter on one of those days to seal and oil on the other rinse day to seal.

I'm trying to let water touch my hair at least three times a week. The Shea butter provides a barrier so when I lightly finger detangle on those days, I pretty much only have shed hair in my fingers almost no breakage/ssk.

I feel like Shea butter provides the barrier I need to fully go on this finger detangling journey I started months ago.

I plan to update this with pictures in the future around January then May of next year. I'm starting to write about my experience now. I will share soon...Once again thanks for sharing @Chicoro .

I uploaded thumbnails, at first, but they were just too tiny to read. The other option was the huge full picture that you see posted. The latter works better visually. My comparison pictures are not similar, but they are from what I had to work.

Nov 2017 .jpg Nov2nd2018LengthCheck11-vi.jpg
Summary:
From November 2017 until November 2018, it looks like I retained about 3 to 4 inches if I use this braid to measure. My Nov 2018 hair braid is thinner and longer. But my hair tends to thicken in Winter. I think this braid will gain thickness, at this length, from Nov 2018 to April 2019.

Detail:
In the second picture, I have my head straighter so the braid does not hang as long as it could. I also think my braid is thinner because I had some breakage in this section. I documented in this very thread how I lost whole curls and how I figured out how to finally avoid it.

Why I advocate nurturing scraggly ends on natural, afro-textured hair ['hidden from view'] and worn in protected styles:
  • Because the fragility of our elliptically shaped hair strands are far more likely to break off during a 12 month growth cycle, than other hair types.
  • The less you know and understand about your own afro hair, the more likely you are to break or damage it.
  • The less experience you have of successfully gaining length and retaining that length on your afro hair, the more likely you are to break or damage it.
  • Gaining length on afro hair is a question of (1) time,(2) correct knowledge and (3) successful experience. If one of the three are missing, you are not likely to see healthy length gains on your afro hair. These are not "rules", these are tenets just as like the tenets of weight loss which state that you need to eat less and exercise more to lose weight. HOW, you go about it is presented in a myriad of options available to us all. ("My" how: is the No Comb Method, having a dedicated Ends Routine, using Protective Styles, lubricating the hair with Shea butter and now, the re-addition of the Baggie Method with a protein based concoction sprayed on before the baggie.)
So, when a person with afro hair starts to see and continues to get length gains, the assumption I make is that all three of these are solidly in place and on track. The parameters for us to gain length MUST be adhered to as there are so many things that can and do hinder the length gains on afro hair.

My Length Losses [Some, not all are listed] :
  • Experience:
    • My major length losses were due to lack of successful experience in trimming of my own hair in 2012.
    • I allowed an unknown person to 'trim' my hair again in 2014. The hair was healthy, perfectly even and beautiful. But I [learned from that experience] that I HATE even hair on myself.
  • Time:
    • As a result of the failed trim, I had to start my hair journey over in 2012 going from below waist length hair, back to bra-strap length.
    • Inferred, but not stated, but because my life was in flux, I chose not to devote the time I needed to my hair to identify issues and give it the care it needed to flourish to get it to longer, healthier lengths in the minimum amount of time.
  • Knowledge and Understanding:
    • Whole Curl Loss Issue and Resolution: I didn't understand how and why I was consistently losing whole curls. Now, I understand that I can't re-braid hair that is clumped together without completely de-clumping it.
    • Shea Butter Optimal Usage Realization: Another of my length losses was due the lack of understanding of how to optimize and use Shea butter as whipped mix, for the benefit of my hair.
      • Whipped Shea lubricated my strands to minimize knots.
      • Whipped Shea kept strands of hair from unraveling from my braids, helping to avoid tangles and breakage of those single strands.
    • Curl on Ends of Hair Realization:I learned that I could not leave my ends curled and they needed to be lubricated and stretched. Prior to 2012, I never had to stretch the very ends of my hair to gain and retain length. I used to ball them up and wrap with a coated rubber band. That stopped working for me around 2015 -1016. I stretch my hair before using a baggie and that seems to be working great for now.

Last edited:
I uploaded thumbnails, at first, but they were just too tiny to read. The other option was the huge full picture that you see posted. The latter works better visually. My comparison pictures are not similar, but they are from what I had to work.

View attachment 437703 View attachment 437705
Summary:
From November 2017 until November 2018, it looks like I retained about 3 to 4 inches if I use this braid to measure. My Nov 2018 hair braid is thinner and longer. But my hair tends to thicken in Winter. I think this braid will gain thickness, at this length, from Nov 2018 to April 2019.

Detail:
In the second picture, I have my head straighter so the braid does not hang as long. I also think my braid is thinner because I had some breakage in this section. I documented in this very thread how I lost whole curls and how I figured out how to finally avoid it.

Why I advocate nurturing scraggly ends on natural, afro-textured hair ['hidden from view'] and worn in protected styles:
  • Because the fragility of our elliptically shaped hair strands are far more likely to break off during a 12 month growth cycle, than other hair types.
  • The less you know and understand about your own afro hair, the more likely you are to break or damage it.
  • The less experience you have of successfully gaining length and retaining that length on your afro hair, the more likely you are to break or damage it.
  • Gaining length on afro hair is a question of (1) time,(2) correct knowledge and (3) successful experience. If one of the three are missing, you are not likely to see healthy length gains on your afro hair. These are not "rules", these are tenets just as like the tenets of weight lose which are you need to eat less and exercise more to lose weight. HOW, you go about it is presented in a myriad of options available to us all. ("My" how: is the No Comb Method, having a dedicated Ends Routine, using Protective Styles, lubricating the hair with Shea butter and now, the re-addition of the Baggie Method with a protein based concoction sprayed on before the baggie.)
So, when a person with afro hair starts to see and continues to get length gains, the assumption I make is that all three of these are solidly in place and on track. The parameters for us to gain length MUST be adhered to as there are so many things that can and do hinder the length gains on afro hair.

My Length Losses [Some, not all are listed] :
  • Experience:
    • My major length losses were due to lack of successful experience in trimming of my own hair in 2012.
    • I allowed an unknown person to 'trim' my hair again in 2014. The hair was healthy, perfectly even and beautiful. But I [learned from that experience] that I HATE even hair on myself.
  • Time:
    • As a result of the failed trim, I had to start my hair journey over in 2012 going from below waist length hair, back to bra-strap length.
    • Inferred, but not stated, but because my life was in flux, I chose not to devote the time I needed to my hair to identify issues and give it the care it needed to flourish to get it to longer, healthier lengths in the minimum amount of time.
  • Knowledge and Understanding:
    • Whole Curl Loss Issue and Resolution: I didn't understand how and why I was consistently losing whole curls. Now, I understand that I can't re-braid hair that is clumped together without completely de-clumping it.
    • Shea Butter Optimal Usage Realization: Another of my length losses was due the lack of understanding of how to optimize and use Shea butter as whipped mix, for the benefit of my hair.
      • Whipped Shea lubricated my strands to minimize knots.
      • Whipped Shea kept strands of hair from unraveling from my braids, helping to avoid tangles and breakage of those single strands.
    • Curl on Ends of Hair Realization:I learned that I could not leave my ends curled and they needed to be lubricated and stretched. Prior to 2012, I never had to stretch the very ends of my hair to gain and retain length. I used to ball them up and wrap with a coated rubber band. That stopped working for me.

Thanks for the info @Chicoro! What is the protein concoction that you are using now?

Thanks for the info @Chicoro! What is the protein concoction that you are using now?

https://public.fotki.com/Chicoro123/hair-care/hair-2019/spray-bottle-concoction/

It's detailed out in my fotki with photographs. But the ingredient measurements are 'eyeballed'.

Ingredients are:
Water, glycerin, aloe vera, cheap conditioner, castor oil, SCURL and a protein product [Infusium, or Neutral Color or Keratin Leave In or any other protein. I do not recommend Aphogee 2 Step as the protein for your spray bottle concoction under your baggie! ].

Last edited:
This is my last post in the thread for the day!

I just measured my hair. I want to wait until December to post the final length gains in inches.

For me, the definitive technique for retaining my length gains is most definitely the baggie method. Which I did NOT do for most of 2018, until October.

I'll for sure measure in December 2018. The baggie method, above and beyond all other methods is the protective style that seems to give me the best results, over time.

And, since I have found a way to successfully re-use my beloved baggie method in 2018 to 2019, I'm going to see if my belief and faith in the baggie method truly matches the reality.

Once my hair gets past waist length, which is my current situation and hair length, my hair growth rate slows down tremendously. It crawls and is below even normal growth rates.

BUT, if I am able to retain more than 3 -4 inches in 2019 using the baggie method, I will know definitely and have 'proof' that the baggie method is my personal Holy Grail for length retention.

This is assuming all things are equal: Shea butter, stretched ends, Ends Routine and the Baggie Method 3.0. As of right now, I don't see how I can tweak my hair care process any further and change anything else. Thus, I'll be riding into 2019 with that baggie tightly in place, having had it be there since October 2018.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Anybody out there in Shea butter land?​

:grouphug2:

I'm still here (had to renew my membership tsk) and still loving this thread. I think shea butter is definitely going to to be my key to retention this winter and in the coming year. I have finally gotten consistent with figuring out to use it for everything - twists / twist outs / buns / braids

I have a hair appointment right before thanksgiving where I'll be getting a blowout n trim. that'll be my length check + starting pic for next year. I've been trying to make the switch to all natural products, I'm still looking for a good shampoo but I've finally found a deep conditioner I love and with my 2 holy grail leave ins under shea butter I think I've got the hang of a good routine. I'm expecting my growth to start taking off

Wash Day today: shea butter to seal in all the goodness and put in mini (well mini for me) twists. I plan to keep these twists in all week in order to help protect my hair/ends. my current job won't allow headwear (not even a beanie or fashionable scarf)

@Chicoro
Thanks for all the posts pictures and insights.

I definitely think incorporating protein and babying those ends are key to length retention for naturals. Slathering each section/twist in Shea butter and gently detangling w only my fingers and my seamless combs are making all the difference in the amount of hair lost during wash and styling sessions. Also finding a good protein and moisture deep conditioner

when you baggie your ends, do you just spray and add extra shea butter before putting a baggy or do you retwist the ends? I'm thinking of doing this but don't want fuzzy frizzy twists

Last edited:
@Chicoro
Thanks for all the posts pictures and insights.

I definitely think incorporating protein and babying those ends are key to length retention for naturals. Slathering each section/twist in Shea butter and gently detangling w only my fingers and my seamless combs are making all the difference in the amount of hair lost during wash and styling sessions. Also finding a good protein and moisture deep conditioner

when you baggie your ends, do you just spray and add extra shea butter before putting a baggy or do you retwist the ends? I'm thinking of doing this but don't want fuzzy frizzy twists[/QUOTE]

I wet the ends of my braids with very warm water then add castor oil to half the length of my braids from the ends, up. I apply Shea butter if I want extra lubrication so Shea butter application is not automatic for this part. I tuck my ends and secure with the knee hi. Once the hair is secured, then I spray the whole thing with my concoction, then baggie. It makes my braids fuzzy. You may want to try on a day when you don't have plans to leave the house to see how it turns out.

This is my last post in the thread for the day!

I just measured my hair. I want to wait until December to post the final length gains in inches.

For me, the definitive technique for retaining my length gains is most definitely the baggie method. Which I did NOT do for most of 2018, until October.

I'll for sure measure in December 2018. The baggie method, above and beyond all other methods is the protective style that seems to give me the best results, over time.

And, since I have found a way to successfully re-use my beloved baggie method in 2018 to 2019, I'm going to see if my belief and faith in the baggie method truly matches the reality.

Once my hair gets past waist length, which is my current situation and hair length, my hair growth rate slows down tremendously. It crawls and is below even normal growth rates.

BUT, if I am able to retain more than 3 -4 inches in 2019 using the baggie method, I will know definitely and have 'proof' that the baggie method is my personal Holy Grail for length retention.

This is assuming all things are equal: Shea butter, stretched ends, Ends Routine and the Baggie Method 3.0. As of right now, I don't see how I can tweak my hair care process any further and change anything else. Thus, I'll be riding into 2019 with that baggie tightly in place, having had it be there since October 2018.
When you wear your hair in braids put back into a bun are you bagging or do you just do it at night? I got great retention with the baggie method when I was relaxed need to try again now that I am natural. Any tips on how I can hide the baggy during the day other than a wig?

When you wear your hair in braids put back into a bun are you bagging or do you just do it at night? I got great retention with the baggie method when I was relaxed need to try again now that I am natural. Any tips on how I can hide the baggy during the day other than a wig?

Were I to use this method, I'd opt for something like this:

Amazon product ASIN B07H7DDMPN
71qzaSUrN%2BL._SX522_.jpg

You would have to be very careful/gentle with the clip though.

No, I actually remove the baggie most nights. I wear the baggie during the day. For tips on how to hide the baggy during the day:

• Use a phony pony
  • Place a scarf around the hair
  • Where a chignon piece or bun cover
  • Place hair in the bun
I personally don't like any of these options. The first 3 add too much weight on my head and give me a headache. The fourth choice breaks my hair around the nape area, but other than that it has proven quite effective for me. But, I'm loving the braids in he baggie for now.

Back