Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters
SouthAfricanFinal.JPG

She has given me permission to post her photos. This is how my friend's hair turned out, from South Africa. I just put in some braids. A couple of things to note:
  • She doesn't have 1 single broken hair near the roots of any of her braids. Incredible.
  • All here braids are the same length. Amazing.
  • I decided to not trim her ends. My philosophy is that freshly trimmed ends are precious. But, if you don't know how to care for your ends, they will need to be cut AGAIN the next go round. So, until she gets some more skill and comfort, we're leaving the ends as is.
  • Her hair strands are highly textured but her hair is 'straight'. There is no curl or wave to her hair.
  • Her braids, not her roots, were STILL wet 30 hours after I washed it.
And the last tidbit of information...she cut her hair down to about 1 inch in 2015.:eek: She removed her relaxer. She showed me a picture. Although she does not tend to her own hair, what has saved her hair is that she uses protective styling- and didn't realize it. The person that did her hair and put in her extensions, did a great job and took care with her natural hair.

At the rate she is going, with the addition of shea butter, she may hit waist length by December 2018. We'll see.

EDIT: Her current untrimmed length is about bra-strap length.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that your knots are at the minimal range and tangles, too. Shea Slide strikes again!

It's 2:58 am in my neck of the woods and for whatever reason, I can't sleep. Oh, well. I don't know of very many people who use shea butter on the hair without mixing it down and whipping it or making it creamy.

I personally could never use shea butter as is, on my hair. But when it's whipped, I'm whipped! I could literally bathe in whipped shea butter.

Some people actually do or process the shea, it don’t whip it. It’s only effective to me whipped at this point.

@Chicoro i noticed that my shad hairs slid out too with minimal breakage after using the Shea Butter, under running water.

It’s also worth noting that when I used glycerin and water, then Shea Butter, then oil, I had moisturized hairnet for two weeks. I may keep that on repeat when I return to my ayurveda DCs

View attachment 420081

She has given me permission to post her photos. This is how my friend's hair turned out, from South Africa. I just put in some braids. A couple of things to note:
  • She doesn't have 1 single broken hair near the roots of any of her braids. Incredible.
  • I decided to not trim her ends. My philosophy is that freshly trimmed ends are precious. But, if you don't know how to care for your ends, they will need to be cut AGAIN the next go round. So, until she gets some more skill and comfort, we're leaving the ends as is.
  • Her hair strands are highly textured but her hair is 'straight'. There is no curl or wave to her hair.
And the last tidbit of information...she cut her hair down to about 1 inch in 2015.:eek: She removed her relaxer. She showed me a picture. Although she does not tend to her own hair, what has saved her hair is that she uses protective styling- and didn't realize it. The person that did her hair and put in her extensions, did a great job and took care with her natural hair.

At the rate she is going, with the addition of shea butter, she may hit waist length by December 2018. We'll see.

She’s gorgeous. I noticed her braids don’t thin very much at the ends either. It’s freakishly healthy. I guess there’s something to be said about leaving our (well moistured) hair alone.

@Chicoro i noticed that my shad hairs slid out too with minimal breakage after using the Shea Butter, under running water.

It’s also worth noting that when I used glycerin and water, then Shea Butter, then oil, I had moisturized hairnet for two weeks. I may keep that on repeat when I return to my ayurveda DCs

Yum! This is close to what I do. Is your shea butter a mix of other things or ingredients? Or is it shea butter whipped with nothing added to it? I know you said it's whipped.

Last edited:
She’s gorgeous. I noticed her braids don’t thin very much at the ends either. It’s freakishly healthy. I guess there’s something to be said about leaving our (well moistured) hair alone.

I've never touched hair like hers before or seen hair like hers in real life. Her hair is incredibly healthy, too! The interesting thing is that she NEVER wet her hair and she NEVER moisturized her hair. She does absolutely nothing in between the time she goes to the shop. I'm like, "Girl, what?" :eek:

She also said she has never heard of or seen shea butter prior to my introduction of it to her. :spinning: I was like, "How are you going to be African and not have heard of shea butter?" :afro: That truly took me by surprise.

When I did my Deep Moisture Treatment on her head, her hair just drank up the moisture. It went from stiff hard, dry, rough and crispy, to dewy soft and pliable in what seemed like an instant. Her hair actually got heavy and it swung whenever she turned her head. She said she has never seen her hair do that either. She also said that the women back home, in South Africa, wear Brazilian weaves and wigs -and they are NOT cheap! Lastly, she said that relaxers are starting to fall out of favor.

I say this over and over. African American women are on the leading edge of culture and change. The world is watching you. And, they follow your (our) lead. Black women in America just don't realize how powerful and influential they are.

But I do.:flahssssss:Smile for the camera, because ya'll are Superstars!
:toocool::):p:D

Night, night!​

ok i just read this entire thread at 3 am. i'm in! i made a shea butter mixture the other night (shea butter, mango butter, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, almond oil). i used it this past wash day but it left my hair heavy but i may have used too much. i'll keep that batch to use for my skin and will whip up another one because from reading this thread, i think i need to whip it more (for 10 minutes) and when i do apply, make sure i smooth it into my strands.

since you all are using it as a sealant, do you follow it with oil or is oil not necessary?

you did a great job with her hair.

I have been avoiding this thread and swore out I would not join just goin mind my business and lurk:curtain::hide:...but you hair Jedi are using the force on me!:ninja: @Chicoro, @ElevatedEnergy, @Saludable84, @IDareT'sHair, got me up at 5 am ordering butters and an immersion mixer with a whisk! Good grief now I'm off to order some fragrance. Leaving to go out of town for New Year's in a day but I'm here for this thread and will be back next week with my first batch...smh the Force is strong wit y'all!

you did a great job with her hair.

Thank you! She is very happy with her hair and excited about her journey to come. You know a person will be successful when they say, "I can't wait to share this and help everyone at home with their hair."

When a person focuses on SERVICE[to others], get ready, abundance is about to be flowing like a river in your direction and in your life!​

Last edited:
@Sally. ,
That's why I want to go to that shea function in Nigeria. That is THE place to be to get an understanding of where things are going and how people in the industry plan to get there. You are so right with your assessment and your observation that shea butter as a financial investment is a great possibility.

Last edited:
@ElevatedEnergy, which EO's do you normally order for fragrance? Do you use fragrance in your personal mixes or just the ones you sell?

Here are the ones I currently use in my butter mixes:
Amazon product ASIN B00CAE77OG
I have the autumn, summer, bakery and nature sets. I love them all and the scents are potent and long lasting. I use these for personal as well. They are all so yummy.

I save essential oils for my soaps/shampoo bars. I couldn't get the amount right for my butters. Either they are too much or not enough in butters, but seem just right in soaps since I can dump the entire bottle in a 2 pound batch.

Here are the ones I currently use in my butter mixes:
Amazon product ASIN B00CAE77OG
I have the autumn, summer, bakery and nature sets. I love them all and the scents are potent and long lasting. I use these for personal as well. They are all so yummy.

I save essential oils for my soaps/shampoo bars. I couldn't get the amount right for my butters. Either they are too much or not enough in butters, but seem just right in soaps since I can dump the entire bottle in a 2 pound batch.

These aren't edible, right? I'm always trying to :nervous2:bite :vampire: or eat :mmmchocolate:something!

Yum! This is close to what I do. Is your shea butter a mix of other things or ingredients? Or is it shea butter whipped with nothing added to it? I know you said it's whipped.
I mix with oils I know work well with my hair. Right now, I’m using henna oil and Fenugreek Oil. That mixture is kinda silky. I only made a 12-ounce batch so I have about another month to use it up.

I have so much Shea Butter in here so I got time :drunk:

@Saludable84 ! :2inlove::thud::love4:

YOUR HAIR in your AVATAR! Wow! Another one trying to sneak in beautifulness on the sly. Do you have another photo that shows more of that hair on the day you took this particular photo?

Ya'll, go take a look and look really closely at that fabulous hair of hers in her avatar!

POST! :flahssssss:POST! :flahssssss:POST! :flahssssss:POST! :flahssssss:

[referencing the December 28th, 2017 Avatar for Saludable84]

Ahm, this thread is at almost 400 posts and we haven't even STARTED 2018, yet! o_O
About 393 of the posts alone are mine. :giggle: Self shade :ghost: .

I'm doing all I can to make the 'SHEA SLIDE', the sensation to sweep the LHCF nation!
Come on ya'll let's slip, detangle, retain and glide.

xq2ZWwy.gif

@Daina, come on in. Listen to your girl, @Saludable84

giphy.gif

You can't resist the Shea Slide. Just ask @ElevatedEnergy

giphy.gif

Come on and hop on that Shea Train! @NappyNelle been riding since day 1 !

amNZYkrbm_480wa_v1.gif

We been saving your seat.

Last edited:
Your promo is working: I spent all of 2017 working to nail down my hair care regimen, and I have a regimen design with which I can hit the ground running, but here I am about to schedule in 3 months to trial activator and shea butter.

:spank:

If it's any consolation to you, I think 30 days would be enough to tell if it's working for you.

Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you! I've been on LHCF since 2003 and I have NEVER posted so much or hosted any kind of thread or challenge. But Shea Butter don't care. All of of this went down in 2017 and that's when Shea butter entered my life and, "Turned me OUT!"

I'm trying to work through my own 10 Step Addiction to shea butter. :cantlook:
Maybe together, we'll work it out! :alcoholics:

Last edited:
Back