• Hate it! Don't like it.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Ennh...Its okay.

Votes: 27 17.9%
  • Shea Butter can be used for hair?

Votes: 7 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've used Unrefined African Shea Butter on my skin for years with beautiful results, I used to think its was way too heavy for my hair untll it occurred to me I could have better results if I tried the white kind as opposed to the yellow. I tried the white kind on my hair and it was a dream, it absorbed into my hair quickly left it moisturized and soft the difference was like night and day. My mom recently made a whipped shea butter recepe and it gave me the softest most moisturized braid out I'd ever had.

The Yellow Shea Butter has Palm oil in it which is a very heavy oil, that one is great for the skin especially in the winter, the white kind doesnt have anything added , it much lighter and its the best for natural hair:yep: theres a HUGE difference.

Oh wow that's so informative I never knew that ! Thanks for that tidbit!

OP I like using the yellow shea butter in my hair, but I always whip it first in a blender (I don't add anything else to it... at already oily enough)... I tried it for the first time on my twists yesterday for the week, and I have a PRETTY good feeling that these babies are gonna stay moisturized until my next wash&DC (Next week) I love love LOVE IT !

Yea I thought i loved it but....MAybe not. I haven't found the perfect mix for my hair yet. I love it for my skin though. It has made my skin sooooo smooth and supple and young looking. I will try just plain shea butter straight next time. I also want to try a shealoe mix. Other than that...it's ok but not as moisturizing as I would like for my hair or skin.

i love love love shea butter. i use the yellow and the whitekind. i mix the yellow kind wit evoo for my hair, and coconut oil for my skin. i love the white kind by itself on my hair. very moisturizing.

i love shea butter on mt hair and body. im transitioning and i cowash once or twice a week(shampoo once) and i use shea butter on my hair throughout the week while im bunning

Maybe I got an old batch? It is so dry and hard. I've used it on my NG during a long stretch and it helped though...but otherwise it just sits there and I use it as a cuticle cream

Shea butter has to be mixed in with other ingredients for my hair. Straight up shea doesn't spread well for me- it just sits there and refuses to cooperate even if I rub it between my hands. Now shea butter for my body is my best friend, especially during these winter months. Talk about ash city. :lol:

OP I like using the yellow shea butter in my hair, but I always whip it first in a blender (I don't add anything else to it... at already oily enough)... I tried it for the first time on my twists yesterday for the week, and I have a PRETTY good feeling that these babies are gonna stay moisturized until my next wash&DC (Next week) I love love LOVE IT !

I like your siggy :yep:

I didnt like shea butter at first because it made my hair waxy feeling but i find it works better after i cowash & apply it on wet hair. When it dries, it dries soooo SOFT plus it leaves my hair soft for a few days. The only thing though is that my 3C new growth seems to love it but my 4B new growth doesn't. This 4B on my head just stay actin up..tryin to be different & what not.. *spanks naps*

I love shea butter. I used the whipped shea butter with almond oil on my skin and unrefined to seal my ends when twisting my hair. I have only used it on my wet hair, but it seems like other people are mixing and using it on dry and wet. I might just find a new use for the shea butter yet!

Re: Shea Butter is a Dream for my Skin and Hair

I've used Unrefined African Shea Butter on my skin for years with beautiful results, I used to think its was way too heavy for my hair untll it occurred to me I could have better results if I tried the white kind as opposed to the yellow. I tried the white kind on my hair and it was a dream, it absorbed into my hair quickly left it moisturized and soft the difference was like night and day. My mom recently made a whipped shea butter recepe and it gave me the softest most moisturized braid out I'd ever had.

The Yellow Shea Butter has Palm oil in it which is a very heavy oil, that one is great for the skin especially in the winter, the white kind doesnt have anything added , it much lighter and its the best for natural hair:yep: theres a HUGE difference.

Thats NOT true at all. Real "PURE" unrefined shea butter is not supposed to have anything in it. Any shea butter with palm oil or anything else is NOT pure. A seller who is not honest about the contents of their shea butter is selling you bootlegged shea butter. They will tell you the shea butter is "natural" but wont mention that it is not 100% pure.

Palm oil is usually added to increase yield and make more money.
Online places like "The African Store" sell UNPURE FAKE shea butter. They add many things to it to increase quantity and sell it for cheap. I made a big mistake by ordering there and learnt my lesson. Please be very careful where you buy your shea butter from.

PURE UNREFINED shea butter is VERY light yellow with some thin whitish residue on it. It should COMPLETELY melt smoothly in your hands instantly. Usually, fake unrefined shea butter (with palm oil) is deep yellow to orange and doesnt melt smoothly on your hands. It gives a very "grainy, rocky, rough" texture on your hands and is extremely difficult to apply to hair.

I now buy my shea butter online from Agbanga Karite. They sell very pure genuine shea butter and are part of a "fair trade" program that improves the lives of village women who prepare their shea butter.

I like shea butter for twists and sometimes my edges. My twists always come out great using shea butter or a product that has shea butter. It is thick and heavy, but that's why I love it.

I do not like to use just shea butter on loose hair though.

I like the 100% unrefined Shea Butter for my skin. I mean seriously that butter is amazing "straight up" on skin and has so many healing properties in it. I do not use it in my hair but I feel I will once I whip it in with some other products for a more softening and lighter effect on my hair.

Someone mentioned that the white shea butter has nothing added, but that is incorrect. The white one is refined therefore a lot of the healing properties in it has been removed. I do agree however that it is wonderful for my hair because of how light it is - I only use organic refined shea butter on my hair.

There are many differences between unrefined and refined shea butter. Most noticeably are the scent, color and benefits. Unrefined shea butter is not chemically altered, and maintains its nutty scent, ivory - beige color and all of its healing properties.

Refined shea butter has been chemically altered to remove shea butters natural scent, is bleach white in color and retains only a small portion of its natural healing properties. Refined shea butter is that which has been refined and processed using high heat and chemicals. It is typically odorless, with a pure white color. In some cases, hexane - a neuropathic toxin - is used in the refining process.

Both will have moisturizing properties; all oils will moisturize, all oils will NOT heal. Please note that some companies sell refined shea butter as 100% pure shea butter, so beware. Personally, if I were to purchase refined shea butter for my hair again, it would always be organic. The last one I bought was Organic Sheaaloe Butter from fnwl.com. I :love: that butter:lick:.

Thats NOT true at all. Real "PURE" unrefined shea butter is not supposed to have anything in it. Any shea butter with palm oil or anything else is NOT pure. A seller who is not honest about the contents of their shea butter is selling you bootlegged shea butter. They will tell you the shea butter is "natural" but wont mention that it is not 100% pure.

Online places like "The African Store" sell UNPURE FAKE shea butter. They add many things to it to increase quantity and sell it for cheap. I made a big mistake by ordering there and learnt my lesson. Please be very careful where you buy your shea butter from.

PURE UNREFINED shea butter is VERY light yellow with some thin whitish residue on it. It should COMPLETELY melt smoothly in your hands instantly. Usually, fake unrefined shea butter (with palm oil) is deep yellow to orange and doesnt melt smoothly on your hands. It gives a very "grainy, rocky, rough" texture on your hands and is extremely difficult to apply to hair.

I now buy my shea butter online from Agbanga Karite. They sell very pure genuine shea butter and are part of a "fair trade" program that improves the lives of village women who prepare their shea butter.

I totally agree with the bolded. My unrefined shea butter has nothing added to it, I got up and checked it again just to make sure and you are right whitedaisez. Thank you for sharing your experience with us:yep:.

Really @ bolded? I had no idea. I thought if you bought raw unrefined SB that the color was dependent on the gourd from which it came, or that SB was not really raw. How did you find this out?

But to answer the question - :lick::lick::lick:. Could not do without it. I use it by itself, mixed whipped with CO, whipped with Ayurvedic oils, etc. I know some people are allergic though. My babe sis loves it for her hair, but can not use it because it results in outbreaks.

Cisselette, your mom is from Senegal. I have a really good friend who is from Gambia, she is forever talking about Senegambia. I should see when she is going back and tell her to get me some shea butter.

Sorry for going on a tangent. But I do love me some shea butter. I like to mix it with EVOO and coconut oil and use it as an oil when I'm in braids, I use it straight sometimes when I twist, and in winter I like it for my face and hands.

Last edited:
I use the raw shea butter for my skin especially in the winter:grin:, I never tried it on my hair though, I might give it a try after reading all these posts.:rolleyes:

This describes the shea butter I purchased on ebay! Thanks for your explanation. Now I know it wasn't the real deal!

Shea butter does not make my hair happy. It's too heavy and greasy for my fine hair. I couldn't even handle the SheaMoisture leave-in and that's considered pretty light for a shea product.

LOL thats pretty much what I was tryna say, I agree with you, the unrefined Shea Butter is the light Yellow whitish one which is PERFECT for hair. I love the one with palm oil in it on my skin in the harsh winters of NYC I use it as a heavy base then add my lotion and my skin has thrived.

In NY you get AMAZING deals for Shea butter I get a huge Jar of Unrefined Whitish/ Light Yellow Shea Butter for like $10 that'll last me for months and I get the same price for the one with Palm Oil, I've always loved the Shea butter I got:love2:

Now my mom has made a whipped Shea butter mix with the unrefined white Shea thats a dream on my skin and body my skin is soooo soft and moisturized and for braidouts its awesome. But I'll always use the yellow kind on my skin, I need something that heavy to mix with my lotions to keep me moisturized all day during the winter and this does it the best:yep:

Really @ bolded? I had no idea. I thought if you bought raw unrefined SB that the color was dependent on the gourd from which it came, or that SB was not really raw. How did you find this out?
You're welcome Bri505:wave: Aspire I make it my business to buy my Shea butter from African merchants in Brooklyn and I simply asked around:yep:

Last edited:
Some people can tolerate some can't. I have fine hair, so I shouldn't like it...but my ends love it. It keeps them soft and protected from the weather and my cotton shirts. Shea is a mainstay in my regimen and has been for 2 years now. I only use it on my ends, and on my edges as a pomade when I wear my hair in a bun.

My hair hate shea and anything with shea in it including Cantu Shea Butter. My skin on the other hand adores it. I am going to make some butters with it for the winter.

i am so confused now!!! i just purchase my very 1st tub of shea butter today! i went out of my way to look for an african merchant to buy my shea butter from. it says 100% pure shea butter. i asked the man if it was pure UNREFINED shea butter and he said yes. when i rub it between my fingers it melts immediate and is very smooth and not at all grainy. but its not white... its yellow, like a whinny the pooh yellow (sorry, only thing i could think of that fit) or a bees wax yellow, maybe, i dunno if i've actually seen bees wax irl lol.

so what the H. E. double hockey sticks did i buy? i just made my 1st mix with evco, its in the fridge solidifying as we speak!

Back