Shampoo + Condition + Air-Dry= THEN what??

Do you air-dry your hair?

• YES! I air-dry ALL the time after every shampoo/wash.

Votes: 196 54.9%
  • NO. I've never air-dried my hair.

Votes: 15 4.2%
  • Sometimes, but not very often.

Votes: 62 17.4%
  • Yes, I air-dry most of the time, but I alternate between rollersets & Air-drying.

Votes: 84 23.5%

• Total voters

Crystalicequeen123

Ladies, I would like your input on what you "air-dryers" do AFTER you air-dry your hair. I'm asking because even though I love stretching my relaxers, and washing and airdrying my hair, I find that if I twist my hair in two-strand twists after airdrying, it only makes my hair tangled and feeling hard in the morning. :(

I like the thickness that I get with air-drying, but I also don't like how my hair looks really unkept and tangled after a night of air-drying. At 7 weeks post relaxer, even getting a comb through my air-dried hair is a chore. :nono: I have to go to work 3x a week , and I have classes 2x a week, not to mention meeting at my place of worship throughout the week, and I DO want to look at least SOMEwhat decent. I like the straight look, but I hate doing rollersets because I think they thin my already fine type 4a/b hair, and it takes so freakin' long! Plus, I'm trying to do a no-heat/low-heat challenge and ease up on all the rollersets I've been getting lately.

Any suggestions?? What do you ladies do after you air-dry?

I wear a phony pony or set my hair with Caruso rollers. I tried the Caruso rollers on air dried hair after seeing Serenity's album and reading Carolyn Gray's book.

If I don't do either of those two things then I wear my hair in claw clips or a bun. I finger comb ONLY no combing through air-dried hair with a regular comb. :nono:

I used to feel the same way... one solution is to get a better leave in, one that makes your hair soft etc and u might wanna just leave the hair out while it airdries... of course, air-dried hair is more fragile than rollerset hair IMO, because the cuticle is raised and there are more possibilities for tangles. You could also do a braidout and not worry about combing it during the week, or slick it back into a ponytail while the hair is wet and braid the rest, so that it looks pretty decent.

I find that Rusk Smoother and Nexxus Headdress are helping me out A LOT lately... I have less tangles therefore lest shed hair after I airdry. I put either one on, then leave my hair out for a while, with my scarf on so that my hairline doesn't get poofy, then when the hair is just slightly wet, it take the scarf off, put my hair in a ponytail, rolls the ends so that they can stay smooth, and then i put the scarf back on again and leave it till the next morning. I hope that makes sense.

HTH

I wanted to add though, even though I airdry all the time now, I'm going to stop airdrying so much after my next touch-up. Then, I'll do an equal amount of rollersets and airdrying, because rollersets work better for my hair: little to no hair lost throughout the week, hair holds more moisture, looks nice, is more manageable, etc.

For the past 3 weeks I have been cw'ing, pulling my hair back into a bun and then air drying. All this time I never knew that would get my hair completely straight, (guess I was thinking it would be all curly and frizzy since that's what it does when it dries and is just loose) But the trick is to make sure the ends and everything is straight before you tuck it under and pin it down. By the time my hair dries (over the next 48 hours), it is really straight and has a nice little flip in it from having it turned under, so I could really wear it down if I wanted to and it has a lot more body than if I had set it. But the problem is that I never get to wear it like that since I like to CW almost every day (not that I am 13 weeks post)....My new growth underneath is so thick that I am losing a lot of hair when I try to comb. At first I attributed it to the air drying, but my hair is completely detangled when I pull it back and it's very soft and moisturized when I take the bun down, it's just that my new growth is dangerous (bought some S-Curl to tame it yesterday)

When I get my touch up in 3 more weeks, I won't be cw'ing as much. I will rollerset once a week for about the first 8 or 9 weeks, and when I rollerset, there is no way that I can air dry (unless I give myself 2 days). I wish I could because I would have more bounce if i air-dried when I roller set......I still may pull it back and let my bun air dry and then use the little flip style because roller setting is very time consuming for me as well, but at least I have and alternative to getting it straight.

OK..i am a huge fan of air drying whether i wear my hair straight or curly. this is what i do for my 3b/c hair:

to wear it straight, after conditioning i'll lightly towel dry it and then massage in some Mizani Rose H2O...then i use a about a tbsp of Neutrogena leave-in silk conditioner and comb it thru my hair with a wide tooth comb...i'll comb it straight back and then tie down with silk scarf (i usually do this whole process right before i go to bed, so that it is dry in the AM). lastly, to cut back on the heat/damage to my hair, i invested in a Caruso Ion steam rollers which i use to curl my hair when it is dry. my hair has lots of bounce and shine. my hairdresser said that my hair is exceptionally healthy considering that i have highlites and a relaxer. and to wear it curly, i'll do the same process except i'll use more leave-in conditioner, scrunch it-then wait for it to air dry and curl up...hope this helps a little!

I mostly shampoo + condition + scrunch + airdry = curly

but when I want straight, ladies I may need your help on this... shampoo+condition+wrap+airdry=straight, but the ends are frizzy

the problem with rollersetting is, my hair takes forever! I mean forever to dry, so if I rollerset, I guarantee by the time I want to go to sleep, it's not dry, and I can't sleep with the rollers. But I also know that wrapping isn't healthy. Any advice?

shampoo+condition+ leave-ins+airdry in a satin or velvet scrunchie.

I hate using heat and I'm roller-challenged. (sometimes I think that has to something to do with being left handed)

Then in the afternoon I give myself a nice 10-15 minute head massage. This is a good reason to have your own office with a door:lol: Though I've had people come in while I was doing it and give me this :eek: look.

I give myself another in the evening after working out or before I put my hair to bed for the night.

-A

I'm a 3/B or 3/C, natural, it's hard for me to tell. If I post some pictures could some of you help me figure it out?

This is what I do:

After washing and conditioning I part my hair down the middle and I use a little Nexxus Humectress as a leave in. Then I use a dab of Redken's Butter Treat on top of the Humectress. I comb the conditoners through my hair completely, then I use a very liberal amount of pure avocado butter, especially on the ends.

Then I use plain black satin scrunchies and I made two "banded" ponytails, using three or four scrunchies on each. Then I use a big claw clip to hold both ponytails behind my back. That's it!

My hair comes out very smooth and silky each time. Becasue I stay at home and have small children I don't really wear my hair down. I either keep it clipped up or in one braid down my back. My hair is waistlength, maybe a little longer when it is completely straightened. But it's about bra strap length or mid back when curly.

My youngest is 9 months old and he likes to pull hair. He also puts everything into his mouth.

I let my hair air-dry hanging down for as long as possible and usually when it's about 75% dry, I put Elasta QP Mango Butter on the ends and spray Organic Root Stimulator Nature's Shine on the full length of my hair. Then I put my hair up*. I may wear it that way for the day if I have to go out. Then that night, I cover with my satin scarf before going to bed. I take my hair down in the morning and the result is very shiny, smooth hair that looks like it has been flat ironed.

*To put my hair up, I hold it at as if I'm going to make a ponytail at the base of my neck, twist the hair upwards and pin it up with a few hair pins (if I'm going out) or two gentle duckbill clips (if I'm just going to bed).

I airdry my hair in 16-18 braids. Twist outs make my hair tangly. And the only comb I use is a K Cutter when my hair is damp. I don't care how nappy your hair is, this comb does the trick.

i have been airdrying since i decided to go natural. but i have been doing all protective styles since. i am wearing phony ponys now. its the easiest thing for me right now. my hair is easy to comb when wet or really moisturized.

i alternate between wash and co-wash every third day. while the hair is damp, (i lightly towel dry) i spray a leave in or surge or part my hair and add my mtg pudding. i massage my scalp and comb through. then i part again and i add carol's daughter healthy hair butter. i massage it in and comb through. i noticed my hair combs very well when i add the cd butter. it works better for me than the elasta qp mango butter. my hair drys pretty fast unless i put a lot of heavy product in. i brush my hair up in a pony tail. sometimes i actually put a rubber in, sometimes i just brush it upwards. i wrap my hair in my satin scarf and go to sleep on my satin pillow case! i always wash my hair at night so i go to bed with damp hair. that pretty much "freezes" my hair in place.
in the morning, i may brush my sides. i usually just surge the edges. i may add some cd kizzy stay put pomade if i have flyaways. i apply more moisture on my ends (usually mango butter) and put on my phony and go.

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll have to try some of your suggestions. I'm just not sure my hair will get silky smooth simply by putting it in an air-dried ponytail though! :( I not only have type 4a/b hair, but I have a mild relaxer in my hair. The mild relaxer is strong enough for my fine hair, but when my hair is wet, it gets really curly and it tangles easily. I just don't see how my hair (especially at the roots) will be straight.

How tightly are you all tying your hair up in these scrunchies in order to get that "straight look" with air-drying? I'd love to know, because I may never use the blowdryer again!

Also, I have a question about Caruso Ion Steam rollers. Just WHAT are they really? What is the technique and how do they work? Is it really a much better alternative to rollersetting under the dryer?

I have 4a hair relaxed with regular no-lye Optimum relaxer.

Optimum relaxes my hair so that it's pretty straight when wet.

I air dry every morning before work.

I rinse and cw in shower. Then pat hair dry with towel, part hair in middle and comb through so straight on both sides.

It dries straight this way.

When hair is almost dry I spritz with Kenra leave-in.

Then I use jumbo Caruso curlers on my ends (when hair is almost dry..doesn't affect my end curls if roots are still a bit wet). Then, I wear my hair down, parted in middle with ends turned under or flipped up.

This is for hair that a few inches past shoulders but not armpit length. Takes about an hour to dry with no product and periodic slinging.

Size 120x90: <iframe
src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=longhaircar05-20&o=1&p=20&l=ur1&category=home&banner=046QZN7HP2KFGC3R1E82&f=ifr&f=ifr"
width="120" height="90" scrolling="no" border="0" style="border:none;"
frameborder="0"></iframe>

Last edited:
Airdrying isn't an issue for me now that my hair is natural and I can just put it in a puff, but when I was relaxed I found that my hair airdried best when I let it dry straight down and periodically combed through it while it was drying. I used a liquid leave-in before drying, and after it was dry or was nearly dry, then I'd apply moisturizer or whatever, and put my hair in a bun or braided ponytail.

Crystalicequeen123 said:
Thanks for the advice guys! I'll have to try some of your suggestions. I'm just not sure my hair will get silky smooth simply by putting it in an air-dried ponytail though! :( I not only have type 4a/b hair, but I have a mild relaxer in my hair. The mild relaxer is strong enough for my fine hair, but when my hair is wet, it gets really curly and it tangles easily. I just don't see how my hair (especially at the roots) will be straight.

How tightly are you all tying your hair up in these scrunchies in order to get that "straight look" with air-drying? I'd love to know, because I may never use the blowdryer again!

Also, I have a question about Caruso Ion Steam rollers. Just WHAT are they really? What is the technique and how do they work? Is it really a much better alternative to rollersetting under the dryer?

I didn't think my hair would get straight air drying either, but it does. Although I am 13 weeks post right now, even after i finish cw, if i comb it all flat and put a silk scarf on it to lay it down, it will def. dry straight. If you use a scrunchie, you will have a print where the scrunchie was placed. I comb it all back and put my finger in the middle as a starting point and smooth the pony tail down and around the finger, but so as the swirl is laying down, all the while pinning it down and making very sure the ends lay down flat too. Put a satin scarf on and go to bed. My hair doesn't dry overnight; takes a couple of days, but it will be straight when dry. No different than doing a wet doobie; just make sure no ends are exposed and you should be fine (if the ends are exposed, they may curl up and not dry straight....

I have thick 4a/b hair relaxed.

I did not think that air drying my hair in a ponytail would work either, but it does. After I wash it, I comb though with Isolplus Wrap Lotion and NTM Leave-in, then I put on WGO and Frizz-Ease. I put it in a ponytail with a large satin scrunchie, and put rollers on the ends. Then I tie a satin scarf tight over the hair to get the edges flat. As it dries, I can make the scarf looser or take it off altogether.

I've found that with the large satin scrutchie I don't get the dent in my hair, but when I use the small scruntchies I do.

I usually tie a scarf around the front and let the rest of the hair hang down in the back. After its dry I grease my scalp and put some oil in my hair. I usually wear it in a bun or in some updo. I have pics in my album of air dried hair and how it turns out.

What about wrapping your hair and sitting under a Cool dryer for a little while and then putting a scarf around your head while the rest of it dries?? Will that work??

I'm having a party later on tonight and I wanted to wash my hair today and get it looking nice. I don't have time to sleep on it overnight so that it dries, but I don't really want to rollerset it or use a HOT dryer or anything. :ohwell:

I sometimes will wet wrap my hair and then sit under the dryer on high for about half the time needed. Put some oil moisturizer on the outside of the wrap put on scarf and then go to bed.

But I flat iron.

I was under the impression that if you want to airdry your hair into a stlye... you do it while airdrying.

Detangling/wrapping/rolletsetting/twiusting/braiding/smoothing... should all be done on damp hair. It's not that your're supposed to let it dry, then detangle... or do the bulk of your styling on dry hair.

hmmmm, am I wrong?

In the past i have sooooo been against airdrying because it leads to hard/rough hair that breaks easily. and i think combing airdried hair is a bad idea. And nobody should leave their homes without combed hair, i don't care how long/healthy u want your hair to get. :look: I blowdry my hair weekly. Because I've never gotten straight hair when i airdry... it's always stiff hair that doesn't do anything. BUT yesterday as i just applied WGO and a dab of hummectress and i was about to blowdry and the phone rang so my hair airdried a little bit... My hair was very soft and it wasn't frizzy, it was somewhat curly. WHOA!!! I believe it was the WGO because someone on this board did mention that WGO as a leave-in will help to dry hair straight. So anyways over the next month i will experiment and try to air dry my hair with good results. I plan to try a few different methods such as completely air dry. Or air dry then blow dry for 5mins just to coax the hair straight and fluffy and seal the cuticles, then finish airdrying. Or air dry then sit under the dryer. Or air dry completely and use my caruso rollers. We'll see what happens. I have decided that during the winter months i will use more oils and pin my hair up more and not worry about rockin a straight style with lots of body, which is what i love to wear during the summer months....

As of June 06, I have been drip drying my hair with leave ins then doing a rollerset on dry hair.

Last edited:
Porsche19 said:
I was under the impression that if you want to airdry your hair into a stlye... you do it while airdrying.

Detangling/wrapping/rolletsetting/twiusting/braiding/smoothing... should all be done on damp hair. It's not that your're supposed to let it dry, then detangle... or do the bulk of your styling on dry hair.

hmmmm, am I wrong?

No, actually I was trying to get my hair straight by air-drying. I'm trying to minimize heat on my hair since my hair is fine and thus fragile...but I find that anytime I air-dry my hair and put it in twists, my hair always comes out so bushy and tangled! I do my twists while my hair is still about 40% damp so that it's still soft. But I just want a straight look without doing any twists or having shaggy ends.

Last weekend I tried the air-dried wrap method and tied my hair in a scarf for about 2 hours before my party. Unfortunately though, my hair in the front was the only part that got really straight. The back and middle of my hair was still pretty damp. :(

I airdry in a rollerset. This way my hair is straighter and smoother than if I just airdried (which I would not do), holds a lot of moisture and is very bouncy. I use rollersetting like I used to use hotcombing or curling irons before LHCF. Now I don't use heat (since 7/03). After I remove my rollers, then I style my hair, which could be a bun or a French Twist or I braid my hair for a braidout.

Isis said:
I airdry in a rollerset. This way my hair is straighter and smoother than if I just airdried (which I would not do), holds a lot of moisture and is very bouncy. I use rollersetting like I used to use hotcombing or curling irons before LHCF. Now I don't use heat (since 7/03). After I remove my rollers, then I style my hair, which could be a bun or a French Twist or I braid my hair for a braidout.

This sounds like something I'd like to try Isis. Can you describe your method? Do you wash your hair, then while it's still wet you put your rollers in? Does it take you hair longer to dry this way? Do you put any kind of styling product or seum on your hair before you put the rollers in?

Also, are you using the steam rollers to do this or just regular rollers? Magnetic or mesh?

Crystalicequeen123 said:
What about wrapping your hair and sitting under a Cool dryer for a little while and then putting a scarf around your head while the rest of it dries?? Will that work??

I'm having a party later on tonight and I wanted to wash my hair today and get it looking nice. I don't have time to sleep on it overnight so that it dries, but I don't really want to rollerset it or use a HOT dryer or anything. :ohwell:
If I need to speed things up, I will sit under the Cool Setting of my ION hard bonnet dryer (no heat at all). Otherwise, I'll let it airdry in the rollerset. I haven't tried wrapping my hair yet...

MizAvalon said:
This sounds like something I'd like to try Isis. Can you describe your method? Do you wash your hair, then while it's still wet you put your rollers in? Does it take you hair longer to dry this way? Do you put any kind of styling product or seum on your hair before you put the rollers in?

Also, are you using the steam rollers to do this or just regular rollers? Magnetic or mesh?

I wash my hair then I deep condition it with Humectress for about 30 min. with a plastic cap. If it's time for protein, I use Keraphix for about 15-20 min. with a cap, then the Humectress for another 30 min.

After rinsing out the Humectress and detangling simultaneously under the shower, I apply my Headress leave-in and comb it through (my comb now slides right through). Then I use an oil on my ends (Constant Care for Ends or Protectiv Healthy Ends) and lightly use an oil to seal in the moisture on the rest of my hair (Aveda Anti-Humectant).

Now is when I rollerset my hair and my hair is still very wet. I use Pandora's famous ponytail method, making several ponytails on my head using safe, oil-soaked Hair Hosiery bands. I roll each ponytail up in the biggest green magnetic rollers and some in the gray ones. I haven't tried mesh rollers yet. BTW, the steam rollers are only for hair that has already dried, not to be used on damp hair at all.

Yes, it takes hours to dry. The more ponytails I have the less time it takes although it will be at least 8 hours and can take longer. Sometimes I do my hair washing early in the day (like a Saturday) and it's ready to go by evening. I can successfully go to bed in my rollers by positioning my rollers going towards the back of my head and sleeping on my side (I don't switch sides while sleeping). No stress on my hair or rollers (or my head! :lol: ). I put a satin or silk scarf over the rollers tightly, then cover all with my over-sized silk bonnet. By morning, my hair is dry or almost dry.

That's pretty much my regimen and I shampoo wash 2x each week lathering only once each time which keeps my hair from drying out.:)

Last edited:
Isis said:
I wash my hair then I deep condition it with Humectress for about 30 min. with a plastic cap. If it's time for protein, I use Keraphix for about 15-20 min. with a cap, then the Humectress for another 30 min.

After rinsing out the Humectress and detangling simultaneously under the shower, I apply my Headress leave-in and comb it through (my comb now slides right through). Then I use an oil on my ends (Constant Care for Ends or Protectiv Healthy Ends) and lightly use an oil to seal in the moisture on the rest of my hair (Aveda Anti-Humectant).

Now is when I rollerset my hair and my hair is still very wet. I use Pandora's famous ponytail method, making several ponytails on my head using safe, oil-soaked Hair Hosiery bands. I roll each ponytail up in the biggest green magnetic rollers and some in the gray ones. I haven't tried mesh rollers yet. BTW, the steam rollers are only for hair that has already dried, not to be used on damp hair at all.

Yes, it takes hours to dry. The more ponytails I have the less time it takes although it will be at least 8 hours and can take longer. Sometimes I do my hair washing early in the day (like a Saturday) and it's ready to go by evening. I can successfully go to bed in my rollers by positioning my rollers going towards the back of my head and sleeping on my side (I don't switch sides while sleeping). No stress on my hair or rollers (or my head! :lol: ). I put a satin or silk scarf over the rollers tightly, then cover all with my over-sized silk bonnet. By morning, my hair is dry or almost dry.

That's pretty much my regimen and I shampoo wash 2x each week lathering only once each time which keeps my hair from drying out.:)

Isis, thanks so much for the detailed explanation!:)

Back