Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

I've tried to write this pot about 3 times now so let me condense this post.

1.I've changed my mind about the combs (at least on straight hair) because they're kind of amazing! The wide comb and the double sided comb are keepers. The tail comb is really nice too but the real test will be on setting day.
2.I'm working on a combing technique. I call it waltzing.
3.I can't decide between a ponytail rod set and a ponytail magnetic roller set.

I take you seriously so don't lie to me :lol:

My hair has a way for disappointing me for no reason at all sometimes. Do you make the pony right or loose?

With my natural roots I go tight and use dollar store bands that will come off easily. My thinking has been it will loosen as it dries just like the rollers, so the smoother and tighter I get it the better. I just have to make sure the roots are dry because my lo po roots stay damp sometimes even of my ends have dried.

My magnetic set from yesterday. I put it in 3 bantu knots to sleep in and rocked a ponytail today. I can never fit the full length of my ponytail in the frame (unless i'm in the mirror) so these are just 2 pics from of the bottom half and top half. *sigh* Long hair problems lol

I dusted my ends yesterday cause I didn't need a trim. I'll revisit them again in 6 months. Oh and as soon as I finished trimming and took the ponytails out, my roots swole right on up like normal. So, I'll only do ponytail sets for the purpose of trimming.

Last edited:
Okay. So I lied. I've got curl formers in my head right now. It was a very impulsive decision.

About the combs. They are in deed really nice. It seems that I am the problem. I am what is causing my breakage. It's hard to swallow but admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

I am convinced that I'll never get below a 3 hour set time. I feel sad and defeated. But I must carry on :knight::cowgirl: On the up side, detangling took 45 mins. I've got one more quadrant to do before I go under the dryer for 2 hours, then post pics.

I just feel really down. Dang.

Exhauster beyond believe but here are my pics. I apologize for the crazy picks. I am so tired. The pre take out pics got deleted somehow

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140806_021510.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140806_021510.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 64
  • ForumRunner_20140806_021548.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140806_021548.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 63
  • ForumRunner_20140806_021637.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140806_021637.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 74
Exhauster beyond believe but here are my pics. I apologize for the crazy picks. I am so tired. The pre take out pics got deleted somehow

Your set is lovely. Curlformer curls reminds me a lot of Flexi rod curls. They both do a great job of elongating and stretching. Gorgeous!

Thanks ya'll! Unfortunately the set doesn't look the same after 8 hours of sleep. I mean it looks good but it feels different and more fuzzy. I used it's a 10 and cream of nature foam. I have an interview today and I hope I can salvage it somehow. I'll post pics soon.

This is after 1 day. Kinda disappointed. My hair resembles a set that didn't get to dry completely. I wonder if it's time to retire Bonnie aka my overhead dryer because my roots are fine but the ends are just horrible. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I couldn't find my scarf last night so I just pineapple then went to bed. Idk. Gotta leave for my interview in about half an hour so I gotta work with what I got.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140806_171040.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140806_171040.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 56
  • ForumRunner_20140806_171226.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140806_171226.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 59
  • ForumRunner_20140806_171247.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140806_171247.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 60
  • ForumRunner_20140806_171325.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140806_171325.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 65
This is after 1 day. Kinda disappointed. My hair resembles a set that didn't get to dry completely. I wonder if it's time to retire Bonnie aka my overhead dryer because my roots are fine but the ends are just horrible. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I couldn't find my scarf last night so I just pineapple then went to bed. Idk. Gotta leave for my interview in about half an hour so I gotta work with what I got.

It's still salvageable. The back curls still look great so if this was me: Id rock a half up, half down style for a few days. Transition it into a high pony for a day, then a high, low, side bun for a few days. After that, I'd throw it in 2 goddess braids or a crown braid for a few days. Take that down rock a braid out and start the styling all over until wash day. Think of setting not so much as "the end" style but more of a way to get stretched hair to "create" styles...almost like a base. If my curls last, it's great but if not..I just work that thang right on out. lol Oh yeah...good luck on your interview! Sending positive vibes your way Lady!

Thanks a bunch lulu97 !! The interview went really well. I'm supposed to get a call tomorrow if they want me. I have hope!

I totally for got I could do something else with my hair lol. Thanks for reminding me that it's not the end all be all!

Trying something new. I did 3 chunky cornrow braids on my previously roller set hair. Instead of braiding all the way down the length: I stopped where the cornrow braid would have left the scalp and used perm rods on the entire length. I lightly misted my hair with water since it was already moisturized from the day before and used Nairobi wrap foam for hold. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

For the ladies with expertise in perm rods: How do you get these jokers to get close to the scalp...and stay that way? I rolled from bottom to top like you would a flexi rod then snapped the top on. It was no tension and the rod kept rolling back down. I had to use a few hair ties to keep the braids from unraveling and a few more to keep some of the perm rods close to each other.

Last edited:

Curlformers Give notoriously short lived results. I think your next day hair looks great. I like to do a flat twist out after my curlformers fall

Last edited:
Curlformers Give notoriously short lived results. I think your next day hair looks great. I like to do a flat twist out after my curlformers fall

Thanks Blairx0. it wouldn't bother me if it was my first time using them but this is like my 3rd or 4th time in times before this it came out way better looking and lasted up to a week. Looking back i think it may have had something to do with my constantly adjusting the dryer bc i was hot and uncomfortable. I think i will try a braid out later maybe saturday for church the next day.

Lol now i have to do it again next week because i won't let it go! If only I'd just done the ponytail set *rolls eyes at self*

Thanks Blairx0. it wouldn't bother me if it was my first time using them but this is like my 3rd or 4th time in times before this it came out way better looking and lasted up to a week. Looking back i think it may have had something to do with my constantly adjusting the dryer bc i was hot and uncomfortable. I think i will try a braid out later maybe saturday for church the next day.

Lol now i have to do it again next week because i won't let it go! If only I'd just done the ponytail set *rolls eyes at self*

Yeah curlformers last for two days, three if you try your hardest. I use to wear mine 7 days anyway: look:

Annnnnnd I LOVE it! I got an immediate curly bob. I do want the curls a little bigger so I'll buy one size up on the perm rods for the next time I do this.

Last edited:
I have a good friend who is transitioning and around 4 months post. She called me yesterday very frustrated with her hair and ready to call it quits and go ahead and relax it. I told her to come over today and let me do her hair to give her a break. Gave home girl the works:

*a nice scalp massage with my oil mix then pre-poo'd with aloe vera juice & coconut oil

*Clarified with Elucence shampoo & used Aphogee 2 min to give a little boost of protein

*Did a steam treatment with Giovanni 2 chic avocado & olive oil conditioner

*Roller set using 2 inch rollers with my usual leave in's & Nairobi. She prefers sleek hair so I flat ironed her roots on 300. It was beautiful & she was so happy which in turn made me happy! She told me she felt like she was at a hair spa. We had so much fun laughing and giggling and I can definitely see how some love this as a profession. *makes me low key think about my own private salon* That's neither here nor there tho.

She is not about that online-show-your hair life so refused to let me post the results but we did take pictures for her own personal journey. She wants me to help her long term transition. I'm excited to teach her hair stuff...and promote the benefits of setting while working with a different texture than my own. woot woot!

Side note: why was she trying to steal all my hair products tho?! I will wrestle somebody over my stuff...especially now that I found products in every category that my hair LOVES. It also made me stand behind what I use when I saw it worked universally well for her as well as my daughter.

that is great. Always wanted to do that really into having 5011 client complaining to me so I think that if I ever tried but I would do it privately as well.

that is great. Always wanted to do that really into having 5011 client complaining to me so I think that if I ever tried but I would do it privately as well.

Thanks Lady. It's been a long time since I had to call anybody my boss....so I can't see myself working in an actual salon unless it was mine & I had total control. lol If I do it, it would be me doing 2 or 3 clients a day in a very intimate one on one setting in a separate wing of my home.

Last edited:
Back