Serums: Moisturizer?

vickiepickles

All About Me!
I am wondering why some of you consider serums as moisterizers. Is it because it leaves the hair soft and silky? Because in actuality I don't think it is anything that penetrates the hair shaft. It seems that the silicones just coat the hair. When I use them, it is good for a time, but I feel I have to clarify more often to remove the silicone and allow oils & true moisterizers to penetrate my hair. What do you ladies think?
confused.gif

I use serums on a regular basis. I also use moisturizers. IMO, my hair gets a lot of moisture from using moisturizing conditioners. Since I use serums more often, I clarify my hair more often. I love having squeaky clean hair prior to conditioning (helps my conditioners work better).

I use serums for smoothness and shine (hence why I use Smooth n shine). They are not moisturising to me, I only apply it to my wet hair, after my usual moisturisers and leave ins.

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
I use serums on a regular basis. I also use moisturizers. IMO, my hair gets a lot of moisture from using moisturizing conditioners. Since I use serums more often, I clarify my hair more often. I love having squeaky clean hair prior to conditioning (helps my conditioners work better).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto
smile.gif

I don't think serums are moisturizers. They are cuticle smoothers and makes the hair feel good...you know that smooth silky feel. I agree with Allandra in that true moisture comes from using moisturizing conditioners and products that contain mostly water.

I agree: serums are not moisturizers but rather they can act as sealants to lock in moisture when applied to wet or moisturized hair, and they further smooth cuticles to reduce frizz and make the hair surface reflect light better and therefore shine more. As Allandra has indicated, you do need to clarify hair if you use them often as they do form a coating on your hair that prevents products you apply afterwards from penetrating.

I also consider my main source of moisture to be conditioner...but I consider serums a useful part of my regime and akin (tho I agree - not the same) to moisturizers because while the purpose of moisturizers are to provide moisture, they are also to provide a barrier between the hair and the elements. Often they serve as protection - not just a means to ADD moisture to the hair.

So for me, most of the time, I let the conditioner do the "moisturizing" and the serum do the protecting. It works very well for me and I never have a problem wth build up. I think people have different experiences with hair products based on their hair and their personal preferences as far as how they like to style their hair and how they like it to feel.

It's all individual.

I also find they reduce breakage - that's another reason I consider them "moisturizer-like" - because they provide the pliability and ease of combing that some moisturizers claim to (even tho they don't) which helps with staving off breakage.
smile.gif

This is an interesting thread. As I mentioned elsewhere, I bought serum several months ago (Nexxus Y Serum) but I don't know what to do with it. I didnt know it protects the hair and seals in moisture like oils do.

I'm hooked on NTM right now sith....but I use different ones for different things.

I have Silken Seal, Fantasia, Smooth and Shine, L'oreal Smooth Intense, Salerm Vital, FF Glossing Serum, Frizz Ease Light, Razac, and Matrix in my stash.
grin.gif

I use about half of them regularly. Mostly the L'oreal, Fantasia, Smooth and Shine and Silken Seal..

But for now, I
love.gif
NTM.
smile.gif

laugh.gif

I don't have a favorite love. I'm not built that way. I'm not only a product junkie but I'm a product whore.
grin.gif

serums never do anything for my hair, I don't know why. They don't make it shine, nothing, it just sits on it and then dries it out.

I am a newcomer to serums. I have been using Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum prior to hood/blow drying my hair. It leaves my hair smooth, silky, shiny and soft.

So, yes; I do consider the serum I use as a moisturizer. However, I do apply a deep penetrating moisturizing treatment following my shampoo, and I do aply an oil sheen spray prior to flat ironing my hair.

Also: Good point re: clarifying more regularly. I have not done this for several weeks.

northernbelle

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
laugh.gif

I don't have a favorite love. I'm not built that way. I'm not only a product junkie but I'm a product whore.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm just going to have to become a product whore myself to find THE serum!

I love serums. The first one I fell in love with was the Smooth Intense from L'oreal. When I put that on my damp hair and then combed through I almost fainted. I'm very big on detangling and that serum really does the job.
But then along came the Neutrogena serum...so they're both very good.

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
northernbelle,

How long have you been using the Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum? It sounds pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since my last relaxer touch up, which was on April 2nd.

northernbelle

Back