Seeking Scriptures/Christian View on materialism

GraceV2

I began this discussion with my mother yesterday and thought it would make for an interesting discussion among us ladies as well. Yesterday while in Bible study, the topic of dreams and praying for your blessings came up. Dreams mentioned included owning a home, being a millionaire, and possessing precious stones.

I am just beginning my walk as a Christian, so I do not know too many verses to back up my thoughts, but I thought that we were supposed to be content with the necessities God provides us on Earth and if we live according to His word, our treasures will await us in Heaven. Even before giving my life to Christ, I always thought it was wrong to actively desire material things beyond the basic necessities since God knows what these are and will always provide them (My thoughts were confirmed by the Lord in Matthew 6:19-34)

So I guess my question is: is it okay for Christians to desire worldly material things? This concept makes me as uneasy as the prosperity movement occurring in churches today, i.e. "Give the Lord $50 today so he can give you $500 tomorrow. " Isn't this just making God into a genie or Santa Claus figure rather than our Lord and Savior?

I used to think that I would NEED a mansion, NEED a luxury car, NEED brand name clothing to be happy, but I'm finding more and more I could care less if I have these things & what my "friends" would think if I didn't have these things. I mean don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind these things if the Lord so saw it fit to bless me with them (lol), but I no longer aspire to have them & don't include them on my prayer list. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts & scripture references on this.

A great and biblical book on this subject is "Money, Possessions, & Eternity" by Randy Alcorn. http://www.amazon.com/Money-Possessions-Eternity-Randy-Alcorn/dp/0842353607/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249695499&sr=8-1

Jesus taught a lot of parables using money as an analogy. I believe that money is one tool that God gives us to use. It can be used in many different ways (for ourselves, to pay taxes, to help build His kingdom, etc.). All of these are fine ways to use it.

But some ways we use money will only profit in the here and now (which at many times is okay). But at other times we can use our money to be a blessing to others, which can gain us riches in the life to come (and those riches don't pass away).

Last edited:
I began this discussion with my mother yesterday and thought it would make for an interesting discussion among us ladies as well. Yesterday while in Bible study, the topic of dreams and praying for your blessings came up. Dreams mentioned included owning a home, being a millionaire, and possessing precious stones.

I am just beginning my walk as a Christian, so I do not know too many verses to back up my thoughts, but I thought that we were supposed to be content with the necessities God provides us on Earth and if we live according to His word, our treasures will await us in Heaven. Even before giving my life to Christ, I always thought it was wrong to actively desire material things beyond the basic necessities since God knows what these are and will always provide them (My thoughts were confirmed by the Lord in Matthew 6:19-34)

So I guess my question is: is it okay for Christians to desire worldly material things? This concept makes me as uneasy as the prosperity movement occurring in churches today, i.e. "Give the Lord $50 today so he can give you $500 tomorrow. " Isn't this just making God into a genie or Santa Claus figure rather than our Lord and Savior?

I used to think that I would NEED a mansion, NEED a luxury car, NEED brand name clothing to be happy, but I'm finding more and more I could care less if I have these things & what my "friends" would think if I didn't have these things. I mean don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind these things if the Lord so saw it fit to bless me with them (lol), but I no longer aspire to have them & don't include them on my prayer list. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts & scripture references on this.

You are right to be wary of some 1,2,3 prosperity teachers. You are also right to know all we NEED is right relationship with Jesus. :yep:

Money(ie material things) is a tool we will use to accomplish tasks here on earth. This tool acts as an amplifier. It will show what is in the heart of the person using it (Luke 12:34
34For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also). Some people use money/ material things to validate their self worth. God does not want us doing this. he wants us to see ourselves the way he sees us. That is how we should get our self worth.
We should seek God on how to use this tool (Matt 6:33
33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well).
There are many people he would like to reach. Often he chooses to do so through our obedience to use money the way he instructs. We are blessed to be a blessing to others. Even those already wealthy need to be blessed and reminded of God's love from time to time. We should never love money b/c it will then be controlling us and we will begin to do anything to get and keep it- there will never be enough (1 Tim 6:10
10For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs).
God desires us to put him first. When we do this he can trust us with his money (b/c it all belongs to him). We are his stewards or managers(Read Matt 25:14-30 and Luke 19:12-28- the parable of the talents). We are to make wise financial choices including investments that are Godly to cause the money God puts us in charge of to multiply. One day we will give an account of what we did with his money. Because he is a good God he treats us fairly and allows/ enjoys us having nice things(1 Timothy 5:18 For the Scripture says, "Do not muzzle the ox while it is treading out the grain," and "The worker deserves his wages").
He is also our Father and delights in giving us gifts he knows we would enjoy(Matt 7:11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!)
He made everything on this planet including the precious stones for us to enjoy( See Gen 1 and Psa 24:1 1 The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it,the world, and all who live in it).
The good/pure ideas that people have come up with that have made life more pleasant came from him. He did not put nice things here for the children of Satan to enjoy while we stand by singing hymns. If we are walking in obedience to God he will give us things we like just b/c he knows it will make us smile- like any parent. Dream BIG!! As long as your heart is pure towards God it is fine to ask him for nice things. Just be sure you ask him to let his will be the final answer(Matt 6:10 10your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven...)
Not everyone can handle an abundant lifestyle. :nono: It woud ruin some of us. He knows which of his kids can handle what. :yep: Picture this, would a loving parent give the keys to the car to a 5 year old b/c they wanted them? No- a responsible parent knows the child is not ready to be behind the wheel of a car. No different with our Heavenly Father and the paths he has in mind for each of us (Jer 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future).Think/ read about all of the people in the bible who God blessed and they became rich and very rich like Abraham, Job, Jabez, and Solomon. There will never be another human being as wealthy as Solomon- ever. I feel like I'm a bit disjointed but I think you will get the picture. Keep pursuing Godliness. Ask him if the things I have said to you are true and in line with his holy word- the bible- which is our ultimate book of instruction on how we are to live. A few more scripture for you to study.

Proverbs 10:22 (King James Version)

22The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.

3 John 1:2 (King James Version)

2Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

As you grow in your relationship with God you will be able to discern what is of God and not of God. He will not let you be made a fool of. To do so would reflect badly on Him as your father.

HTH,
Prudent1

Last edited:
Prudent,

I enjoyed your post. To add to it, though, I believe that some wealthy preachers' sermons are often taken out of context because all people focus on is the Money. There is a difference between being wealthy and being rich. There are false prophets, who prey on people for monetary gain..which is why we ought to know God for ourselves and read the Bible to understand.

The Bible says the LOVE of money is the root of all evil, not money itself. It is a tool and ITA with you that God knows who can/will use it for the benefit of his kingdom and who won't. Money is needed to keep the churches going, to pay the bills, so worshippers have a place to congregate, to pay for programs that benefit the poor and needy.

To PROSPER means to become "strong and flourish, to succeed or achieve economic success" We also can prosper in other ways and not just through money. Our relationships can flourish. Our health can flourish. So someone who is blessed is not necessarily rich but they are WEALTHY.

Father Abraham was prosperous.
God was with Joseph and he prospered in Egypt.
King David was prosperous.

Deuteronomy 5:33 says: Walk in all the way that the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess.

To Joshua, God said in Chapter 1, Verse 8: Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

So it is no different today that men/women of God realize prosperity -- even in so-called economic hardships. That's nothing but God being faithful to his servants.

You are right to be wary of some 1,2,3 prosperity teachers. You are also right to know all we NEED is right relationship with Jesus. :yep:

Money(ie material things) is a tool we will use to accomplish tasks here on earth. This tool acts as an amplifier. It will show what is in the heart of the person using it (Luke 12:34
34For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also). Some people use money/ material things to validate their self worth. God does not want us doing this. he wants us to see ourselves the way he sees us. That is how we should get our self worth.
We should seek God on how to use this tool (Matt 6:33
33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well).
There are many people he would like to reach. Often he chooses to do so through our obedience to use money the way he instructs. We are blessed to be a blessing to others. Even those already wealthy need to be blessed and reminded of God's love from time to time. We should never love money b/c it will then be controlling us and we will begin to do anything to get and keep it- there will never be enough (1 Tim 6:10
10For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs).
God desires us to put him first. When we do this he can trust us with his money (b/c it all belongs to him). We are his stewards or managers(Read Matt 25:14-30 and Luke 19:12-28- the parable of the talents). We are to make wise financial choices including investments that are Godly to cause the money God puts us in charge of to multiply. One day we will give an account of what we did with his money. Because he is a good God he treats us fairly and allows/ enjoys us having nice things(1 Timothy 5:18 For the Scripture says, "Do not muzzle the ox while it is treading out the grain," and "The worker deserves his wages").
He is also our Father and delights in giving us gifts he knows we would enjoy(Matt 7:11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!)
He made everything on this planet including the precious stones for us to enjoy( See Gen 1 and Psa 24:1 1 The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it,the world, and all who live in it).
The good/pure ideas that people have come up with that have made life more pleasant came from him. He did not put nice things here for the children of Satan to enjoy while we stand by singing hymns. If we are walking in obedience to God he will give us things we like just b/c he knows it will make us smile- like any parent. Dream BIG!! As long as your heart is pure towards God it is fine to ask him for nice things. Just be sure you ask him to let his will be the final answer(Matt 6:10 10your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven...)
Not everyone can handle an abundant lifestyle. :nono: It woud ruin some of us. He knows which of his kids can handle what. :yep: Picture this, would a loving parent give the keys to the car to a 5 year old b/c they wanted them? No- a responsible parent knows the child is not ready to be behind the wheel of a car. No different with our Heavenly Father and the paths he has in mind for each of us (Jer 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future).Think/ read about all of the people in the bible who God blessed and they became rich and very rich like Abraham, Job, Jabez, and Solomon. There will never be another human being as wealthy as Solomon- ever. I feel like I'm a bit disjointed but I think you will get the picture. Keep pursuing Godliness. Ask him if the things I have said to you are true and in line with his holy word- the bible- which is our ultimate book of instruction on how we are to live. A few more scripture for you to study.

Proverbs 10:22 (King James Version)

22The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.

3 John 1:2 (King James Version)

2Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

As you grow in your relationship with God you will be able to discern what is of God and not of God. He will not let you be made a fool of. To do so would reflect badly on Him as your father.

HTH,
Prudent1

Back