See, this is why I don't like washing my hair...

Asha97 said:
Poohbear, I understand.

Do you think it could be due to build up (products, or mineral deposits)since this doesn't usually happen?

BTW, thanks for the compliment on my puff. I used my Rosemary Mint Shampoo to wash, used Revive as a final rinse to condition and followed up with Mane Attraction to nourish and protect and Sun Kissed to top coat for shine.

ETA:

Your fat twist are gorgeous! I haven't done those in a while, but I might have to revist this style after viewing yours. Fantastic!
Thank you!

It may be buildup...I'm not sure. I never clarify my hair because it really strips my hair of moisture.

Right now, I'm wearing my hair similar to yours in your signature except my hair is shorter than yous. Its feeling great now! Plus, this style keeps my face cool. I was always hot and sweating with my twists (probably because I wore some twists in my face. I'll go back to my twist later on when the weather is cooler or sooner if I do a style where the twists are outta my face. :weird:

Poohbear said:
Yes, my hair is natural. I've tried the baggie method and it made my hair too mushy and weak. I do accept my hair texture. Are you saying I should leave it all matted up and dry so it can break off? No, I don't think so. Water affects your hair in a way to temporarily change your hair texture too...When it was soft and strong, that was still my real hair texture, so what are you talking about? My hair is what it really is after it gets washed and when it hasn't been washed....I thought... :perplexed:

What would you recommend for a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner?
No, I' not saying that you should "leave it all matted up and dry so it can break off" and that's why I took the time to offer you some suggestion. Maybe you should take a deep breath and just say thank you. So what are YOU talking about? :grin:

But anyway, I think the Fructis line has some pretty good moisturizing products as well as Oyin. But it all depends on your hair type. It could also be the water as everyone else has said. Or it could also be too many products that you are using. Right now I use olive oil and water to moisturize day to day. Also, you may want to check out nappturality.com because their focus is on natural hair and you can find tons of information on the problems that you are experiencing (not to say that LHCF isn't great, but there are tons more people on the other site you will find with similiar problems to yours) Anyway, as I said before, GOOD LUCK and you're welcome. :grin:

Last edited:
Candiss said:
No, I' not saying that you should "leave it all matted up and dry so it can break off" and that's why I took the time to offer you some suggestion. Maybe you should take a deep breath and just say thank you. So what are YOU talking about? :grin:

But anyway, I think the Fructis line has some pretty good moisturizing products as well as Oyin. But it all depends on your hair type. It could also be the water as everyone else has said. Or it could also be too many products that you are using. Right now I use olive oil and water to moisturize day to day. Also, you may want to check out nappturality.com because their focus is on natural hair and you can find tons of information on the problems that you are experiencing (not to say that LHCF isn't great, but there are tons more people on the other site you will find with similiar problems to yours) Anyway, as I said before, GOOD LUCK and you're welcome. :grin:
Okay, thanks. By the way, I'm over at Nappturality all the time. Most of the threads in the napptural hair discussion are always talking about other people's hair. I do searches and such on Nappturality and most of the advice to any problem is cowash cowash cowash. Cowashing doesnt work for my hair. I know there's other advice besides that (protective styling, 'do you', etc.), but I felt more comfortable expressing this particular problem here at LHCF. ;)

Poohbear said:
Okay, thanks. By the way, I'm over at Nappturality all the time. Most of the threads in the napptural hair discussion are always talking about other people's hair. I do searches and such on Nappturality and most of the advice to any problem is cowash cowash cowash. Cowashing doesnt work for my hair. I know there's other advice besides that (protective styling, 'do you', etc.), but I felt more comfortable expressing this particular problem here at LHCF. ;)

*LOL* Funny - I was just about to suggest co-washing, as it's the only thing that keeps my hair really happy - my hair cringes at the THOUGHT of shampoo. But, that doesn't work for you - so here are my other suggestions.

1) Different, more gentle shampoo. You didn't say why cowashing doesn't work, so I'm gonna 'ASSume' that it doesn't get your hair clean enough - have you tried a Poo Bar instead?? Oyin has one that I've brought - haven't used yet, but I've heard good things about them. Or, you might just want to try a sulfate free shampoo, because it sounds like your shampoo is just stripping TOO much of your natural oils out of your hair.

2) How long do you leave your conditioner in? I found that leaving it in in the shower (ie 10-15 minutes) didn't do JACK for my hair, but leaving it on for an hour or two (or 4, depending on how lazy my weekend is - or overnight, if I'm having a really BUSY weekend) under a shower cap worked wonders. Also, I always add honey (1 pt honey to about 2-3parts conditioner) and it makes my hair OUTRAGEOUSLY soft and tangle and mat free.

3) Leave-Ins on Damp hair?? I'm too far down the thread to go back and check to see if you added something to your hair after washing out the conditioner, but I've found that a little oil or butter of some sort put in my damp/wet hair works wonders if I don't plan on twisting/braiding it right away.

Good luck!

ETA - I went back to read your original post - and this sounds EXACTLY like my hair.

Poohbear said:
Let me give you a description of my hair... The strands are very very fine, thinner than a strand of needle thread, and when I wash it, it wants to matt together as well as shrink 75%. My hair is very tightly tightly coiled. So what can I do to my hair or use in my hair so that my hair is soft and supple after it dries???

When my hair is 'free' of my head (ie, scattered in the shower, on the sink, under the fridge *LOL*) it forms TINY circles - about the size of a ink pen point. I call them 'watch spring' size, because that's the tiniest sized spring I can think of.

Having refreshed my memory - DEFINITELY go with the Sulfate free shampoos, and try to deep condition at least once a week. Butters (I'm an Oyin lover, so the Whipped Pudding is my :notworthy ) but that helps keep my hair soft - as long as I put it in damp hair.

Last edited:
Hey Pooh,
Your hair sounds a lot like mine. I don't shampoo because of how dry my hair gets.
Recently I have been using spring water & wheatgerm butter when I twist & my hair has been very soft & shiny.
I also have the Paragon filter & it has done great things in the past couple of months to improve the health of my hair.

nappywomyn said:
*LOL* Funny - I was just about to suggest co-washing, as it's the only thing that keeps my hair really happy - my hair cringes at the THOUGHT of shampoo. But, that doesn't work for you - so here are my other suggestions.

1) Different, more gentle shampoo. You didn't say why cowashing doesn't work, so I'm gonna 'ASSume' that it doesn't get your hair clean enough - have you tried a Poo Bar instead?? Oyin has one that I've brought - haven't used yet, but I've heard good things about them. Or, you might just want to try a sulfate free shampoo, because it sounds like your shampoo is just stripping TOO much of your natural oils out of your hair.
I think cowashing didn't work for me is because when I did cowash, I did it everyday. I also don't think it cleanses the hair. It either makes my hair too too soft or it makes it feel coated. I've tried cheapy cons, and coneless cons, and they all have the same effect on my hair.
No, I have not tried a poo bar. I think using a poo bar would take forever to wash my hair.
2) How long do you leave your conditioner in? I found that leaving it in in the shower (ie 10-15 minutes) didn't do JACK for my hair, but leaving it on for an hour or two (or 4, depending on how lazy my weekend is - or overnight, if I'm having a really BUSY weekend) under a shower cap worked wonders. Also, I always add honey (1 pt honey to about 2-3parts conditioner) and it makes my hair OUTRAGEOUSLY soft and tangle and mat free.
I always leave conditioner in my hair for a few minutes. I've never done a deep condition, I never have time to (or I'm either too lazy to). I always leave the conditioner in for the amount of time I shower my body. Maybe I need to start taking out time to actually leave the conditioner in longer. ;)

3) Leave-Ins on Damp hair?? I'm too far down the thread to go back and check to see if you added something to your hair after washing out the conditioner, but I've found that a little oil or butter of some sort put in my damp/wet hair works wonders if I don't plan on twisting/braiding it right away.
yeah, I don't think I mentioned it. after washing, I applied my kids organics shea butter lotion to my hair along with some hot six oil.

ETA - I went back to read your original post - and this sounds EXACTLY like my hair.

When my hair is 'free' of my head (ie, scattered in the shower, on the sink, under the fridge *LOL*) it forms TINY circles - about the size of a ink pen point. I call them 'watch spring' size, because that's the tiniest sized spring I can think of.
YEAH! That's exactly like my hair!

Having refreshed my memory - DEFINITELY go with the Sulfate free shampoos, and try to deep condition at least once a week. Butters (I'm an Oyin lover, so the Whipped Pudding is my :notworthy ) but that helps keep my hair soft - as long as I put it in damp hair.
the only butter I've tried was unrefined shea butter and it did nothing to my hair. But ill start deep conditioning my hair. ;)

Thanks for your helpful post!!!

so1913 said:
Vmerie has some tips in her album where she washes and conditions with larger twists in her hair, leaving them in to dry. I think this helps her avoid any matting or tangling problems.
That works wonders! I never have to detangle and that saves my ends. Also try clarifing. Usually that works when your hair acts up. HTH! ;)

I was just about to recommend Cream Of Nature poo, I used this yesterday (the one w/the yellow to, white/red bottle) I've been staying at my aunts taking care of grandmom while the fam went on vacation, and didnt' have my wonderful Nexxus therappe w/me and had been at a swimming party so I had to shampoo ASAP and Cream Of Nature did a good job at detangling, It felt moisturized while wet but once it dried it didnt' hold up as good as my Nexxus Therappe. So if this is something that has worked for you in the past I would stick w/what works instead of playing trial and error.

Oh yeah and try Deep Conditioning after every wash day I love Silicone Mix, but if you only use natural products pick the Conditioner that worked for you in the past and DC away, that should help w/keep in the moisturer. HTH's

ETA: I just read that you never DC this just maybe your culprit, DC is very important especially w/hair that tends to dry out more. Even if you just do the steam towel w/a plastic cap over it for 10-15 min. or while using a hooded dryer for about 10 min. it will make a big difference especially after pooing.

Last edited:
Poobear, I wrote a long post yesterday and by the time I hit the submit button, it was lost. The other posters offered wonderful suggestions. I also hate shampoo day. But 2 shampoos that I recommend are Design Essentials Moisture Retention and MOP C- hydrating shampoo. Also, did you mention a leave-in conditioner? I like Abba Nourishing and Design Essentials Leave-In hydrading conditioner.

My hair matts and tangles terribly if I do not wash/condition or deep condition in sections. I start with about 8 braids or sections and shampoo/condition 1 section at a time. If I deep condition, I apply the conditioner to each section and rebraid before sitting under the dryer. You can also try deep conditioning with steam at the gym, if there is a wet sauna.

If your hair feels mushy, you may be over conditioning (with moisturizing) and you need a litttle more protein to counter balance. On the other hand, if your hair is feeling dry and brittle, you may be using to much protein. It's a delicate balance, too much of either can be a bad thing.

Sela's tangle buster routine (found on this board) helped me during some of my worst tangling sessions.

Last edited:
dynamic1 said:
Poobear, I wrote a long post yesterday and by the time I hit the submit button, it was lost. The other posterd offered wonderful suggestions. I also hate shampoo day. But 2 shampoos that I recommend are Design Essentials Moisture Retention and MOP C- hydrating shampoo. Also, did you mention a leave-in conditioner? I like Abba Nourishing and Design Essentials Leave-In hydrading conditioner.

My hair matts and tangles terribly if I do not wash/condition or deep condition in sections. I start with about 8 braids or sections and shampoo/condition 1 section at a time. If I deep condition, I apply the conditioner to each section and rebarid before sitting under the dryer. You can also try deep conditioning with steam at the gym, if there is a wet sauna.

If your hair feels mushy, you may be over conditioning (with moisturizing) and you need a litttle more protein to counter balance. On the other hand, if your hair is feeling ry and brittle, you may be using to much protein. It's a delicate balance, too much of either can be a bad thing.

Sela's tangle buster routine (found on this board) helped me during some of my worst tangling sessions.
Yeah, my hair hates protein. I think that Mizani shampoo of my sister's that I tried had protein in it.
Overconditioning could be the reason why my hair got mushy back when I used to cowashed because I cowash everyday. I should do it less frequently.
Right now, I'm deep conditioning for the first time in about 2 years. I have Garnier Fructis Length & Strength conditioner in my hair. Beforehand, I washed my hair in 2 sections and I didn't have to detangle it! After I rinse this conditioner out, I will apply my moisturizer and oil and put my hair in fat twists or fat braids.
I'm sorry that your post got lost. I hate when that happens. Thanks for your response! :)

dynamic1 said:
I also hate shampoo day. But 2 shampoos that I recommend are Design Essentials Moisture Retention and MOP C- hydrating shampoo.

I have to second the recommendation for MOP C-System hydrating shampoo. I use it often and it doesn't leave my hair squeaky or tangled or feeling stripped.

ravenmerlita said:
I have to second the recommendation for MOP C-System hydrating shampoo. I use it often and it doesn't leave my hair squeaky or tangled or feeling stripped.

What does the MOP stand for? Can you post a picture?

I have not read through this entire thread, so I may have missed something. I have found that when my hair refuses to hold moisture no matter how much moisture I add to it, it's then time for some protein. (a good protein treatment)

i think water filters can remove calcium...its just a way for water softener companies 2 get money...

my dads house water is full of calcium and has no filter...my mums house has the same water (same area), but with a filter i have no problems at all..so therefore the calcium must be blocked buy the filter!

Candy_C said:
i think water filters can remove calcium...its just a way for water softener companies 2 get money...

my dads house water is full of calcium and has no filter...my mums house has the same water (same area), but with a filter i have no problems at all..so therefore the calcium must be blocked buy the filter!

Maybe your hair doesn't like chlorine... therefore it's OK at your mums but not dads. Filters remove a lot of harmful chemicals from the water. It's not like they do nothing. But the coal in filters doesn't attract calcium. Water softeners use salt to bind calcium. It's not folklore it's science.

I have a water filter too. It definitely helped, but the week I spent in Aruba (where they are known for their soft water) made a 10X difference in my hair. The filter on my shower head probably did 2X difference. I guess soft water must be experienced to be believed. :ohwell:

How water softeners work

Last edited:
NewYorkgyrl said:
What does the MOP stand for? Can you post a picture?

Umm, I don't know how to post pictures. But it stands for Modern Organic Products. The C - System comes in oange containers. You can see a picture at mopproducts.com

pattycake0701 said:
Okay, I'm nosey...what were your results from the deep conditioning treatment?
It went GREAT! It really did leave my hair more moisturized and with a silkier feeling. ;)

...And to the two people who rated this thread terrible, I know, I know, this thread is terrible and ridiculous... I've been a member here since 2004 and I should know what to do with my hair by now. :rolleyes: Well, it's still a struggle and I'm still trying to find the right "thing/way/method" for my hair...

Maybe I shouldn't have felt comfortable enough to post my problem here. I'll just keep things to myself next time. :fart:

Poohbear said:
It went GREAT! It really did leave my hair more moisturized and with a silkier feeling. ;)

...And to the two people who rated this thread terrible, I know, I know, this thread is terrible and ridiculous... I've been a member here since 2004 and I should know what to do with my hair by now. :rolleyes: Well, it's still a struggle and I'm still trying to find the right "thing/way/method" for my hair...

Maybe I shouldn't have felt comfortable enough to post my problem here. I'll just keep things to myself next time. :fart:

Don't say that I thought that's why we are here, hugs and kisses.

Poohbear said:
Pooh, dont even worry about it. Just keep on asking questions. Thats what the board is for right? :D Forget those 2 people who have nothing better to do than to rate threads.

BTW...I'm glad your hair turned out soft n silky! ;)

Last edited:
ITA. I find helpful information in almost every thread I read. And who knows, your issue might be someone else's issue with their hair. So you are helping someone I am sure. hugs.

Thanks naturallady and Letitia! :)

Now I have decided to wash my hair more often ... NOT daily but 1-2X a week. I also discovered that my hair needs to be moisturized MORE often, so I'll be moisturizing day and night with my beloved Africa's Best Kids Organics Lotion. This weather is really sucking the moisture dry out of my hair. It's been really hot and humid here in Kentucky. When I went to WalMart to buy my Garnier Fructis poo and con, I also found these headbands that are soft and not tight like those so-called ouchless headbands that give me a headache sometimes and breaks a few hairs around my hairline. They are called Elements. Since finding these headbands, I'll also be wearing my coily puff and no combing. ;)

Thanks ladies in this thread for your advice and pointing me to the right direction! :kiss: Goodnight!

Girl stoppit! I've noticed that folks have been going around and giving different threads twos. Anyways, I know this thread helped me in finding information on my diabetic mom who's natural. She just got flat twists and at 67 years old she's loving them! This is the first time in about twenty five years that she's been completely natural and I'm so excited for her!

Your hair looks great and it's grown so much! YAYYY!!!!!!!!! hehehe Ask away! That's why this board is here. Truth is.... my hair grows fast when I braid it up and leave it alone (and I'm relaxed!);) Anyways big hugs! glad you found something that works for your grass!:D

ILuvsmuhgrass said:
Girl stoppit! I've noticed that folks have been going around and giving different threads twos. Anyways, I know this thread helped me in finding information on my diabetic mom who's natural. She just got flat twists and at 67 years old she's loving them! This is the first time in about twenty five years that she's been completely natural and I'm so excited for her!

Your hair looks great and it's grown so much! YAYYY!!!!!!!!! hehehe Ask away! That's why this board is here. Truth is.... my hair grows fast when I braid it up and leave it alone (and I'm relaxed!);) Anyways big hugs! glad you found something that works for your grass!:D
That's great! Thanks so much your post.... and I like your member name, 'I-'Luvs-muh-grass'. I loves my 'grass' too... I just wish it would grow as fast as grass! Heehee! :grin:

Last edited:
Poohbear said:
Yes, my hair is natural. I've tried the baggie method and it made my hair too mushy and weak. I do accept my hair texture. Are you saying I should leave it all matted up and dry so it can break off? No, I don't think so. Water affects your hair in a way to temporarily change your hair texture too...When it was soft and strong, that was still my real hair texture, so what are you talking about? My hair is what it really is after it gets washed and when it hasn't been washed....I thought... :perplexed:

What would you recommend for a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner?

Wow sounds kinda defensive but your asking for advice or your were just venting:confused: ? I'm kinda confused here. I can understand your frustration an all if your hair is breaking off.
Chile your big ole pretty puff surely looks shiny, strong and resilient in your avatar. When I used to get hard hair after washing I always used Humectress as a leave in to soften and it doesn't weigh it down.

Last edited:
firecracker said:
Wow sounds kinda defensive but your asking for advice or your were just venting:confused: ? I'm kinda confused here. I can understand your frustration an all if your hair is breaking off.
Chile your big ole pretty puff surely looks shiny, strong and resilient in your avatar. When I used to get hard hair after washing I always used Humectress as a leave in to soften and it doesn't weigh it down.
My initial post was a vent and a post to ask for advice...
Look at what Candiss said to me and you'll see why I said what I had to say. She said 'maybe that's how your hair really is and you need to accept that'... my hair isn't that way (a dry matted mess withOUT products). Plus, I already accept my hair texture. How was I not accepting my hair texture? And she made another comment and said in parentheses (if its natural) like I don't have natural hair or something. I don't use chemicals or heat. Maybe I read her post wrong but that's what I got from her post when I read it over and over.

Thank you for your comment and suggestion. ;)

Back