Sealing conditioner with oil?

This only works for me as a pre-poo.... When I do it this way it leaves slick residue on my hair and I'm left with oily greasy limp hair.

Does anyone else apply oil ON TOP of their conditioner to seal the moisture in then DC? Has it given you better results than just DCing with conditioner alone? What oils do you use for super moisturizing results?

Been doing this for 50-11 years; learned it from a stylist who used to do my hair. Started doing it on my own with Hot Six Oil and Nexxus Botanoil (before I discovered LHCF), then tried everything from EVOO, wheat germ oil, vatika oil, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, JBCO, to almond oil, etc.

There is a thread (or probably a couple) on the oils whose molecule size is small enough to allow them to penetrate the hair shaft. Those are the oils you want to choose from. Also know the properties of the oil you choose; for example wheat germ oil has a high ceramide content and will promote elasticity in your hair and coconut oil combats protein loss and may make some people's hair feel stiff.

After all my experimentation I decided EVOO and grapeseed are the best for my hair.

Been doing this for 50-11 years; learned it from a stylist who used to do my hair. Started doing it on my own with Hot Six Oil and Nexxus Botanoil (before I discovered LHCF), then tried everything from EVOO, wheat germ oil, vatika oil, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, JBCO, to almond oil, etc.

There is a thread (or probably a couple) on the oils whose molecule size is small enough to allow them to penetrate the hair shaft. Those are the oils you want to choose from. Also know the properties of the oil you choose; for example wheat germ oil has a high ceramide content and will promote elasticity in your hair and coconut oil combats protein loss and may make some people's hair feel stiff.

After all my experimentation I decided EVOO and grapeseed are the best for my hair.
I only know 3 oils that apparently penetrate - olive, avocado, and coconut. I've tried both olive and coconut alone, I prefer coconut, the olive was good but I would recommend it to people with damaged hair. Right now I'm using coconut, grapeseed, and olive in a spray bottle. I think the spray bottle really helps to distribute the product and avoid over-saturating the hair. LaidBak, are there any other oils other than the three I mentioned that penetrate?

This only works for me as a pre-poo.... When I do it this way it leaves slick residue on my hair and I'm left with oily greasy limp hair.
I had this problem too, which is why I decided to use a spray bottle to distribute the oil better.

I only know 3 oils that apparently penetrate - olive, avocado, and coconut. I've tried both olive and coconut alone, I prefer coconut, the olive was good but I would recommend it to people with damaged hair. Right now I'm using coconut, grapeseed, and olive in a spray bottle. I think the spray bottle really helps to distribute the product and avoid over-saturating the hair. LaidBak, are there any other oils other than the three I mentioned that penetrate?

Yes, there are others. The thread has a whole list. I think it even had molecular weights and all that scientific stuff.

I understand, this was the case for me when I went overboard with the oil. Once I learned to use a quarter sized amount on each section my hair was thanking me for it. This technique is especially nice under a dryer for 30 mins :yep:. As with everything this technique doesn't work for everyone but I do wish everyone would try it at least once because its not a technique that can have adverse affects on the hair but if it works its a God sent.

sharifeh, I have sealed a couple of ways...
after shampooing, apply DC, steam, apply oil, rinse
after shampooing, apply DC, steam, apply cowash conditioner, rinse

I prefer the second method listed as it seems to seal the DCner better. Check out this vid. I don't use Ouidad prods but I use their technique for conditioning. Sealing is discussed around 2:00 mark.

I really like using oils so I either oil rinse or add oils to my DCner. If oil rinsing, my steps are: shampoo, apply oil/tea, rinse with warm water, apply DC, steam, apply cowash conditioner, rinse. Basically, I rinse out my oil/tea rinse before applying my DCner. I rarely layer my DCner over them.

Aireen divachyk Nix08 greenandchic

I don't understand the sequence here
so you're putting on conditioner + oil. Then you rinse it. they you airdry

or you put on conditioner then rinse then oil then airdry???

I'm confused. help! :lol:

sharifeh

I put on my conditioner, oil on top, rinse and then air dry. I only do this with coconut (mainly Vatika these days) oil because its easier to rinse without leaving an oil slick.

thanks ladies,
i did this method with vatika, hair came out a little greasy, i'll try it again

Vatika Oil (with mineral oil) or Vatika Frosting (coconut oil)? If its the former then thats why, mineral oil is not a good choice for this method.

LaidBak

I'll probably come back to these after I finish up the un-labeled oils that I have in bottles. I'm pretty sure one is Wheat Germ and don't remember what the other one is.

But I'm sure at the end of the day, I'll end up relying on Grapeseed & EVOO.:lol:

btw: Nice Post.:grin:

i usually do this with my dc's

i put the dc on and let it soak in on it's own first...then after a while, i add oil on top and let it marinate on my head for a bit more. i dont like to put the oil on right after i apply the conditioner.

i did this today first i applied my dc then used heat for 30mins, left it on for another 3hrs. then while i still had the condish in my hair i covered my hair with EVOCO and went back under my heating cap for 15mins, waited another 30mins then rinsed= hair heaven

I've tried this three times with three different oils to see if this is something that I wanted to incorporate into my regimen and also to see if I get a different result using different oils. With each oil, I deep conditioned with heat (sitting under dryer for 30 minutes). The first time I used castor oil and I liked my result but I used way too much castor oil. My hair was soft but coated with castor oil even after rinsing a lot. So I wanted to go lighter for the next DC. The second time I used wheat germ oil. Loved that result. The third time I used olive oil and I loved that result too. This is going to become part of my regimen. With the next DC, I am going to use coconut oil.

Hey are yall still using this method? Today I'm DCin with AOGPB and sealing with macadamia oil :lick:
Definitely still using it, it makes my hair more manageable. I do notice that my already healthier parts of my hair do better from it than the areas like my nape that just don't respond to anything I do for it.

I've been trying to find this thread and couldn't remember the name?:yep:

Anyway, I've been really enjoying this method (when I remember to do it).:ohwell:

I'll keep doing this Fall/Winter (hopefully I'll remember).

I apply the DC'er, put Oil on top & Steam.

I've tried this three times with three different oils to see if this is something that I wanted to incorporate into my regimen and also to see if I get a different result using different oils. With each oil, I deep conditioned with heat (sitting under dryer for 30 minutes). The first time I used castor oil and I liked my result but I used way too much castor oil. My hair was soft but coated with castor oil even after rinsing a lot. So I wanted to go lighter for the next DC. The second time I used wheat germ oil. Loved that result. The third time I used olive oil and I loved that result too. This is going to become part of my regimen. With the next DC, I am going to use coconut oil.

I kind of forgot about what germ oil. It was a staple at the beginning if my journey. I'm definitely going to try DCing with that oil soon

I kind of forgot about what germ oil. It was a staple at the beginning if my journey. I'm definitely going to try DCing with that oil soon
I would probably say that's one of the best to try since it's loaded with ceramides. I unfortunately am too lazy so I use whatever I have in my kitchen.

i used this method after a hard protein treatment and my hair didnt come out too oily...i guess i needed the extra moisture i used evoo

So Ladies,

what would be the correct measurement of oil to add to not get that weighed down heavy feeling? I want to try this with coconut oil.
That's the thing... it's rather tricky, blackberry815. That's why I bought a spray bottle from Sally's, filled it with my oil and sprayed it on. It eliminated the need for having to measure and allowed for me to properly dispersed the oil on my hair to prevent areas from being greasy. I continuously spray once quickly moving throughout the hair, I spray twice for my nape.

Be careful, wheat germ oil will give you the feeling of waxy build up after a while. I notice it after 3 or 4 times of using it alone, more times if I mix it with other oils. I don't know why and it broke my heart once I realized it, because my hair needs ceramides.

So Ladies,

what would be the correct measurement of oil to add to not get that weighed down heavy feeling? I want to try this with coconut oil.
There is no 'correct measurement'. Just apply some conditioner and apply some oil on top, then work it in. If its running down your face its too much. If not, you're good. LoL!

I use olive oil or any oil I'm trying to get rid of in my conditioners, except the Verifen Advanced Conditioning Treatment--which doesn't need oil at all. This applies to all of their products as well.

For all other conditioners, I measure my oil by applying 15 drops to every 4 ounces of conditioner.

I'm remembering to do this each DC'ing Session as I:

1) Want to incorporate this technique this Winter
2) Use up Miscellaneous Oils

So far, So good. I steam in my DC'ers, so that extra added Oil shot is amazing.:lick:

If I am trying out a new DC'er, I'll use it w/o Oil a couple times, so I can 'test' the results.

Back