Salerm....Not for Me

kitchen_tician

Well, I tried it and I wasn’t very impressed.
frown.gif

I pooed, conditioned and applied the Salerm 21. Well it was a cream, so I was a little concerned, because creamy leave-ins don’t work very well for me.

I applied it & lightly combed my hair. Then waited another 30 minutes & combed a little more, then another 30 min etc…. This is what I normally do, to help with detangling and air drying. After about the 5th light comb through, it was a bit massive. It felt as if there was a “film” on my hair and the Salerm made my hair swell up extra bushy. I didn’t like the way it felt on my hair at all.
nono.gif
Anyway, I tried to put it in a pony tail, but it wouldn’t “slick” right with water. Then I tried to blowdry it and didn’t like it after a small section was done.

So, I hopped back in the shower and started ALL over. This time I didn’t use the Salerm 21 and just used my Fantasia IC Liquid Leave In and Wildgrowth Oil to help with air drying.

Anyway, I air dried and blow dried with super results.

I don’t want to discourage anyone from using it, this is just my review; many ladies have great results with Salerm 21. Let me add that, what normally works for everyone else doesn’t usually work for me. I will try it again, but maybe I’ll mix it with water in a spray bottle and use it for roller setting. Like someone said, give it 3 tries before canceling it out. So we’ll see.
ohwell.gif

Hey Hairbuddy
wave.gif
Wow, sorry to hear about the Salerm experience. Since our hair is alot alike, i'm gonna test out some Salerm once i can get my little paws on it and let ya know how my results are.
smile.gif
i know this hair stuff is wierd. sometimes the shampoo we use beforehand makes a difference or maybe it can be tweeked for our hair (adding oils and such) Thanks for the review
smile.gif
-- jainygirl

I must say I wasn not impressed with 21 or the wheat germ mask. I used them both this weekend and put my hair into bantu knots. My hair wasn't any softer than when I use my usual products. I too will be giving it another try but right now its looking like this product may begin to collect duct in my cabinet
ohwell.gif

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
Does Salerm add extra volume and body?If so,it would not be for me either.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I want to know because I was ready to order it and then read some reviews about it giving body(or something to that effect), which is exactly what my hair doesn't need!
I know different hair has different needs. So does Salerm add thickness and volume? Let us know, please!!!
Personally I need something that "de-bodifies" and weighs the hair down a bit.

It sounds like it might work better as a regular mild wash-out protein treatment for some people and as a leave-in for others.

i used a quarter size amount and i didn't like that 'heavy' feeling it left. i'll try using a half a penny amount next time
perplexed.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
Hmmm... how much did you use? You only need a dab. I'm sorry it didn't work for you.
perplexed.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I used more than a dab, for sure. Maybe 3-4 dabs. Was that too much? I tried to apply it from roots to ends.

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
i used a quarter size amount and i didn't like that 'heavy' feeling it left. i'll try using a half a penny amount next time
perplexed.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I may try that also, but how are we supposed to get even coverage with such a small amount of product, for bra strap and longer hair.
confused.gif
Maybe if it's mixed with water in a spray bottle and applied.
scratchchin.gif

i dont even know
laugh.gif

i think it's not actually supposed to 'cover' ur entire head per say (like i thought), maybe it's just supposed to 'glaze' it, ya know?
btw, it is supposed to be used as a wash out not a leave in BUT most stylists say it's okay 2 leave it in and do so.

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
i dont even know
laugh.gif

i think it's not actually supposed to 'cover' ur entire head per say (like i thought), maybe it's just supposed to 'glaze' it, ya know?
btw, it is supposed to be used as a wash out not a leave in BUT most stylists say it's okay 2 leave it in and do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhhhh Well, That may be the problem.
look.gif

That's why it didn't act right probably, but I thought all of the raves was for it as a "leave in". I will try it as a rinse out and see the effects. I didn't like the way it felt after I rinsed out the Salerm either, but I didn't allow it to air dry afterwards. I'll try it as a "rinse out" next time and see what happens. Thanks CH & Myco.

<font color="green">ETA, there are no instructions listed on the bottle, so we can know what the product was intended to be used for .</font>

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
Hey Hairbuddy
wave.gif
Wow, sorry to hear about the Salerm experience. Since our hair is alot alike, i'm gonna test out some Salerm once i can get my little paws on it and let ya know how my results are.
smile.gif
i know this hair stuff is wierd. sometimes the shampoo we use beforehand makes a difference or maybe it can be tweeked for our hair (adding oils and such) Thanks for the review
smile.gif
-- jainygirl

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks hairbuddy, you're right about tweeking it with oil for our hair. I may try that also.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
i dont even know
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhhhh Well, That may be the problem.
look.gif

That's why it didn't act right probably, but I thought all of the raves was for it as a "leave in". I will try it as a rinse out and see the effects. I didn't like the way it felt after I rinsed out the Salerm either, but I didn't allow it to air dry afterwards. I'll try it as a "rinse out" next time and see what happens. Thanks CH &amp; Myco.

<font color="green">ETA, there are no instructions listed on the bottle, so we can know what the product was intended to be used for .</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, try it again but just a small dab. Like Ch said, it's supposed to glaze over your hair. My hair is a nice length, too, and that's all I used.
wink.gif

No the salerm is used as a leave in not a wash out. At least I have never heard of that and the Dominicans don't wash it out either. It sounds like you used WAYYY too much. I use about a dime sized amount it it was fine. A quarter sized and as much as you used is a lot and that is why your hair was weighed down.

i will check the bottle when i get home. i am sure it says to wash it out. i believe someone else on the forum called the 800# (or whatever) and was told that it is a wash out but can b used as a leave in
smile.gif

I had this same problem with it also. I must have used too much as well. I will try you ladies' suggestions at my next wash.

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
Does Salerm add extra volume and body?If so,it would not be for me either.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, I find that it does add volume and body.

It didn't work for me either- it left my hair feel coated and it wouldn't style right. I had to rewash the next day and startover.

[ QUOTE ]
anky said:
Please sell all unwanted salerm items to The United Negro Anky Fund.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anky, you are toooo funny girl!!!
laugh.gif

Back