Root Lift On Coily Hair

Alma Petra

I think that this is a topic that doesn't get talked about often. But does anybody else have the same problem as I do? My hair grows flat to my scalp in the area where I part and then it fros up at a weird angle to only go back to being flat again as it hangs to the sides. So not only do I have zero root lift, but I also have a very unflattering triangular shape at the sides and just medial to my ears.

So what other than getting a cut, do you ladies do to get more root lift?

How do I go from this:

coily-natural-textured-wash-and-go-style-by-@msnaturallymary.jpg

To this:

EsperanzaSpaldingSignsCopiesNewAlbumtMYWoLLJ2x_lCopy.jpg

Or this:

28_HairTrends-592x938.jpeg

Or this:

Curly-Nikki-Natural-Hair.jpg

??

I have a few ideas that could help.

1) change your parting. Don't use the same parting all the time.

2) pick your roots out with a pick comb. Maybe back comb it a little.

4) get a cut. The longer your hair is the less it will defy gravity.

I have a few ideas that could help.

1) change your parting. Don't use the same parting all the time.

2) pick your roots out with a pick comb. Maybe back comb it a little.

4) get a cut. The longer your hair is the less it will defy gravity.

Thank you for your response. I'm contemplating each one of your suggestions:

1. I have mainly two possible parts, in the middle and to one side. Both somehow give me the same results. My parting options are unfortunately limited by the alopecia on my edges. Now you make think of parting my hair in the center (is that even a thing?) and allow some hair to hang forwards, but my bangs will probably be too long for this.

2. I do own a pick but picking my roots specially now that they are natural results in bad frizz. There is good frizz like this:

372061b7feb3826a710ed12661f9847c.jpg

Or this:

afro.jpg

And there is bad ugly frizz which is what I get :grin::grin:

3. I am thinking that maybe I need to shorten the hair on the sides of the part, but I have never really given my hair a cut before. I'm no stylist and I'm certain to end up with butchered hair lol. I wish I lived in a country where there are deva or similar stylists! Also I sort of need the curl around the parts to be long in order for it to cover my bald edges.

I have also noticed that the area into which the alopecia is trying to spread now has miniatrized hair. It's short but it also hangs to the side rather than rise up towards the sky. Or maybe it's just too short to give me enough root lift in that area. Hmmm.

Back