Rollersetting video

Hey Maryj :wave:

Thank you so much for this video. I've vowed to start rollersetting instead of flat ironing and have no clue where to start. :grin:

Nice video...thank you!!

;) now y'all know if that was a dominican salon that set would have taken about 5 minutes ;)

He did a nice job though, and the model had nice thick healthy hair.

This demo was really nice, thanks, I really liked the body and sheen she has from the oils he let saturate. I will be adding that to my regimen.

Nice video but there were a couple of things that I noticed. This is just me as I pay attention to detail! lol

He did not mention where he put those clips. When i rollerset I place them in the back of the roller (I saw this in a dominican salon). He was placing them towards the front which I thought was interesting and it stayed in place. I think when your teaching someone that knows nothing about this to break it down, down, down yanno?

The next thing I saw which I was kinda interested in was the wrapping part. His back totally blocked the camera! LOL I couldn't see.

Her wrap came out nice though.

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I'm going to try it on my next wash...if I can wait that long :)

What I don't get... is he gave her a rollerset, put her under the dryer until she was dry, then took her dry hair and wrapped it and put her under the dryer again??? Why?

Thanks sooo much for posting the video. How 'bout after watching it, I was inspired to do my own following his example. I am 8 weeks post-relaxer and it took 3 hours total (washing, deep conditioning, rolling, and drying while getting up and walking around) but I am very proud of myself. I tried to flat iron the roots w/my Solano (ceramic), but it's 2 inches wide. I'm seriously about to run out and buy a CHI 1-inch. Anywho, I FINALLY have the confidence to do this now. :yay:

Thanks for the rollerset video, it was definitely helpful. I can't wait for my hair to look something like the model in that video...

The models hair is really healthy. I can't use clips though. I have to use pins for my rollerset. Clips just don't stay put in my hair.

Porsche19...

Several stylists have done my hair this way....It's called a roller-wrap or dubi (spelling?) when placing you back under the dryer after your hair is actually dry. It gives the hair more body & bounce.

What size rollers do you think they used in that video? It looks like the purple color size to me. Also, for those that roller wrap, do you use a foam setting lotion? If so, what brand?

Was I the only person who had trouble watching the video. It kept starting and stopping on me, which made it really hard to follow. Anyone have any suggestions of what I could do it to get it to work smoothly?

LizLeila said:
Was I the only person who had trouble watching the video. It kept starting and stopping on me, which made it really hard to follow. Anyone have any suggestions of what I could do it to get it to work smoothly?

I had the same problem, until I downloaded the latest version of windows media player.

ITS FREE from the microsoft site. I was version 7 now I am version 10

:lol:

I never thought to place the clip on the inside of the roller in those holes, like he did. No wonder mine never stayed in place, duh. :)

kizzylonghair said:
I had the same problem, until I downloaded the latest version of windows media player.

ITS FREE from the microsoft site. I was version 7 now I am version 10

:lol:

Thank you, Kizzy. I will try that. I was really disappointed that I couldnt get the good info too! :lol:

Honi said:
Nice video but there were a couple of things that I noticed. This is just me as I pay attention to detail! lol

He did not mention where he put those clips. When i rollerset I place them in the back of the roller (I saw this in a dominican salon). He was placing them towards the front which I thought was interesting and it stayed in place. I think when your teaching someone that knows nothing about this to break it down, down, down yanno?

The next thing I saw which I was kinda interested in was the wrapping part. His back totally blocked the camera! LOL I couldn't see.

Her wrap came out nice though.

I noticed that too! I also thought during the detangling, 'he's starting in the middle!', then I was laughing when he said, "Notice how I'm starting from the ends".

All in all, great video! So, the Dominicans can really do the rolling in 5 minutes? It takes me 45! I guess I need a lot more practice, and I'm definitely putting this video in my favorites.

Porsche19 said:
What I don't get... is he gave her a rollerset, put her under the dryer until she was dry, then took her dry hair and wrapped it and put her under the dryer again??? Why?

I also do this. Many stylist also do it this way. I even had one stylist wrap my hair in Saran Plastic wrap and then sit me back under the dryer. She rollerset it, dry wrapped it, wrapped plastic wrap around my head and then sat me under the dryer. I don't remember what the effect was, but it wasn't much different from a regular "doobie" wrap.

Also, I think "AskDwayne" is a member/lurker here.

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't know that you go back under the dryer with a doobie. I thought that they just wrap it without any aditional dryer time. :)

Porsche19 said:
Oh, I didn't know that you go back under the dryer with a doobie. I thought that they just wrap it without any aditional dryer time. :)

My stylist does this all the time. It also loosens tight curls and give more body. Now that my hair is longer I no longer let her wrap it after she removes the rollers.

So, for those of you that rollerset. What do you do with your hair after you take the rollers out? Do you wear it curly? And if so, how do you maintain that style day to day?

Back