Rollersetting/PinCurl 6 month Challenge 2008'

Add me in. I've been doing weekly rollersets and saran wrapping anyway. Now I just have to add one night time pin curl to the regimen. I just did a rollerset today and took some photos. I'm excited!

Im in! Here is my starting pic. Ill be using pink flexi rods. Does a twist out count?

47b8df20b3127cceb2ad48bb086200000026100AYsWThi5auWJA

I didnt realize my hair was this long!! :blush:

Count me in, I have always wanting to roller set but just didn't know how. I just purchased Macherieamour's roller setting video and I also cam across another video tutorial link. http://divinetresses.squarespace.com/display/ShowJournal?moduleId=1531321&categoryId=131797 I will wash and rollerset tomorrow and hopefully take pictures on friday or saturday as I will be air drying my rollerset with magnetic rollers and Lacio Lacio leave in and a serum.

Count me in! I have been doing weekly rollersets since purchasing a stand up bonnet dryer late October and it is really working wonders for my hair! I have never pincurled before but I'd like to learn just to add some variety to my routine which is mostly stuff I learned here!

My routine:
  1. Wash hair, deep condition under dryer for 20 min, rinse
  2. While still in shower, let water detangle my hair
  3. Using hands to part, make about 8 ponytails and secure using no pull clear hair bands (Scunci i think)
  4. Get out the shower, put lacio lacio and coconut oil on each ponytail
  5. Roll each ponytail using 1 or 2 rollers depending on how much hair is in the band, use clips to secure
  6. Sit under dryer for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours (want hair 90% dry)
  7. Remove rollers and hair bands. Hair under bands and ends are sometimes a bit damp, this is good for me!
  8. Apply a bit more coconut oil, then wrap hair using the saran wrap method
  9. Sit under dryer again for about 30 min
This method takes about 2 1/2 hours total. I have found that taking the rollers out while my hair is still a bit damp then wrapping it leaves my hair more moisturized and much prettier. I use red (1 1/2 inch i think) and purple (1 3/4 inch) rollers. I don't have any pics of this process or the end result yet but I will take some.

I coukldn't go to the hair salon today, so this is my first wet rollerset attempt in probably 10-15 years....LOL

My steps were

Pre-poo with various oils plus milk and lime (to loosen new growth)
Wash with pantene (that's all i had)
DC with pantene leave-in plus vitamin e oil
rinse
apply leave-in
roll hair with water, leave-in and moisturizer mix
under dryer
saran wrap
style (or at least semi for pics and to see how i like my work)

It took me approximately 45 minutes to roll my hair because I've never rolled it like the mohawk method before. I'm interested to see how it's gonna come out. I can imagine it working on long hair, but mine is nape length, so I don't know. If worse comes to worse, I will slick it up in the morning and just rock the phony pony.

Will post pics after I take down and semi-style.

ARR

OUTSTANDING. It looks nice and fuffy. How does it feel.

I coukldn't go to the hair salon today, so this is my first wet rollerset attempt in probably 10-15 years....LOL

My steps were

Pre-poo with various oils plus milk and lime (to loosen new growth)
Wash with pantene (that's all i had)
DC with pantene leave-in plus vitamin e oil
rinse
apply leave-in
roll hair with water, leave-in and moisturizer mix
under dryer
saran wrap
style (or at least semi for pics and to see how i like my work)

It took me approximately 45 minutes to roll my hair because I've never rolled it like the mohawk method before. I'm interested to see how it's gonna come out. I can imagine it working on long hair, but mine is nape length, so I don't know. If worse comes to worse, I will slick it up in the morning and just rock the phony pony.

Will post pics after I take down and semi-style.

ARR

Ok, the results are in....I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. My hair feels super soft. You can check out pics in my fotki. The pic in my siggy is my salon do from last week.

ARR

OMG...it is Beautiful.

IMO your hair looks better doing it yourself than in your siggy. (no pun intended they both look great). Keep it up girl.

Ok, the results are in....I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. My hair feels super soft. You can check out pics in my fotki. The pic in my siggy is my salon do from last week.

ARR

OMG...it is Beautiful.

IMO your hair looks better doing it yourself than in your siggy. (no pun intended they both look great). Keep it up girl.

Hey StellaB, I did my first rollerset, it's in my fotki. I also put my start pic in there too. I don't know how to post those pics in the thread, that's why I never posted a start pic. How do you do that?

OMG...it is Beautiful.

Thanks so much!!!!!! I must admit it doesn't seem that I have lost my touch...LOL I may ask my stylist to roll it in the mohawk method when I go back.

Oh wow, you ladies are really on the ball.

Those curls are big and bouncy...what size rollers did you use.

Hey StellaB, I did my first rollerset, it's in my fotki. I also put my start pic in there too. I don't know how to post those pics in the thread, that's why I never posted a start pic. How do you do that?

StellaB & Arr1216:

Thank Yall so much! I tried very hard, but I totally owe Macherieamour, I was pausing and playing her DVD the whole time LOL

I used magnetic rollers with the snap on cover by Diane. They were the orange ones, I believe they were either XL or jumbo. Even though they had the snap on cover, I still used the duckbill clips because without them, the rollers were loose and flopped around. My only issue now is to get them to stay in all day and to last for atleast 3 days. I think I'll try a setting lotion or something.

Are the Hot Roller Setting products really good for your hair?? If so, I can do that. Any reccomendations on brands?

You can only use indirect heat on this challenge. The indirect heat can only be used once per week. I am pretty sure that they would be considered direct heat, but I could be wrong.
If you choose to do that, than because the challenge requires you to do at least one wet set, than you will have to let your wetset airdry because you dont have another heat option.

Anybody else more than welcome to chime in here...I surely am not and expert.

Are the Hot Roller Setting products really good for your hair?? If so, I can do that. Any reccomendations on brands?

I'd like to get in on this challenge. This is already what my regimen consists of but this would ensure I don't deviate...

I'm getting larger rollers today. I have used the same size for the longest time. I figured it was time for an upgrade.

Today this challenge officially starts. Last week, I did my first set and wrapped it daily. I was conscious of not using the brush and DID NOT use my flat iron (this was a big change for me!!) I oiled my hair daily and slept with my wrap cap or satin bonnet. I will be adding fotki friends to my list so that I can be inspired,remain motivated, learn new things and see the progress.

I reread the challenge: I am to wash 2x a week once with heat the other w/o. OK..I can do this...just have to plan my schedule.

Wanting long hair is a job.....you must work to get results!!Best wishes to all on the challenge!

I have NEVER airdried a roller set. I almost did it last night cuz I really didn't feel like sitting under the dryer, but I was so afraid that it was gonna turn into a puffy mess.

Any one have any success with airdrying their rollerset?

ARR

Is it too late to join this challenge? If not count me in. I don't really have a regimen, but I have to stop wrapping my hair it's thinning out on one side :nono:.

No but I have really good success with airdrying a wrap.
I think what worked for me was I did not have my hair exposed to the air. I stayed wrapped up in my satin scarf until it was completly dry. For me when I air dried it my hair wasnt as saturated as it would have been if I were getting under the dryer.

I have NEVER airdried a roller set. I almost did it last night cuz I really didn't feel like sitting under the dryer, but I was so afraid that it was gonna turn into a puffy mess.

ARR

I airdry my rollersets all the time. But then again I just wear my hair in a curly fro and the purpose isnt to get it super straight and smooth.

Well I did my first rollerset last night and it turned out horribly! I used the proper techniqes and equipments and all but I just can't get my texturized hair to get straight, not without direct heat. I'll be straightening my hair in about a month or so. In the mean time I'm still on the challenge but until I get my hair relaxed I won't post pics.

ARR

My rollerset do well when airdried. When I have new growth use smaller rollers to create a curler style. Looked at your fotki and sets are wonderful!

Back